Total Wine & More

Getting the Interview

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Analyst

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Total Wine & More.

Interview Details – First standard phone interview, where they ask you standard questions for a BA. Tell me if you have created tests scripts and/or what part of the SDLC have you worked with. If you pass that part then they have you take an analytic test which is conducted by Walden testing. You are given 75 minutes total to finish the test. There are four parts to the test. I passed the test but did not know the score required. After the test I met with 5 employees, 1 of them was the HR manager. Each Manager asks you standard BA questions like about different processes within the SDLC and most difficult time you have faced during your time as a BA and how you handled it. They tell you flat out they micro mange you. I'm not sure how many would take that but they do not hide it. After you finish your interview you are given a HW assignment, yeah really a HW assignment. All this work for a position where you are micromanaged and told you HAVE to do it their way for 6 months before you have any right to speak up about a process or how something can be done better. The entire interview process I felt as if I was interviewing for a JR BA position where I had over 9 years’ experience.

Interview Question – The homework assignment given where ask you to do several calculations then create a reports, then creating test cases and scripts.   View Answer

Business Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Total Wine & More.

Interview Details – Phone interview, if you pass, you go on to logical test.

Potomac, MD

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Total Wine & More in February 2012.

Interview Details – The entire interview process was unique except for how it ended.
1) I had a phone interview with a person from HR
2) I had a phone interview with the hiring manager
3) I was asked to complete a Walden Testing Aptitude test
4) I was asked to come in for an interview.
5) I had 6 hrs of interviews with 5 people
6) I was given "homework" that tested my Excel and Analysis skills

I was originally told they planned to make a decision the day after I interviewed. Only when I arrived for the interviews, I was told I would be given a "homework" assignment that I had to complete after the final interview. The interviews took place on a Thursday and a decision was to be made Friday yet I had homework. They instead said I can submit the homework the following week. I completed and submitted over the weekend and waited.

I contacted the person I had spoken to from HR Tuesday morning and he said either will get back to me that day or by the end of the week. I again waited. When Friday came, no answer and I called again and was told by the person that he would get back to me.

Final response - I received an automated email from HR stating I was not the final candidate.

Not a polite way of ending the interview process. I will never recommend Total Wine as a place to work for since company employees don't have the common sense to send a polite email or letter to a candidate that jumped through many hoops yet was cut. I've had better experience from other companies where I felt I could apply again.

Interview Question – Give me an example of when you had to had a deadline and had to go above and beyond to complete?   Answer Question

Potomac, MD

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Total Wine & More in February 2012.

Interview Details – TW&M has a very "long" interview process for its corporate jobs in the IT field. first you have 1 or 2 phone interviews, then an aptitude test, then on-site interviews with 4-5 people, and depending on the position you are applying for, you get a final exam to test your skills relevant to that position. In general though, this process is completed in about 2-3 weeks, which is quite fast considering everything that is involved.

For the BA position, the aptitude test was to check your ability to follow processes and directions, listen and understand and be detailed, and of course to solve problems based on the the information provided. Nothing terribly complex.

From what I gathered, as a BA it seems like you get coaching on doing the work in the first 3-4 weeks, after that it is your responsibility to direct your career. From what I understood, managers will not hesitate to give feedback and you are responsible for determining how to apply this feedback to yourself.

You will talk with the HR Manager who will like to know all you have discussed, might ask you what you have learned about the org culture and will go into details telling you about the company. What you can expect is that the HR Manager will be extremely frank with you about the company's culture and you will immediately be able to determine if it is a right fit for you.

SO far, I'm still waiting to complete another part of the interview process..........!

Interview Questions

• Talk about a technically complex project you worked on   View Answer
  • Talk about a functionally complex project you worked on (with regards to the complicated workflows, processes, models etc)   Answer Question
  • Explain a use case to a person not in the IT field...
    Explain a process-flow or workflow to a junior BA
    How will you use a Use Case in conjunction with a Test Case.
      Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Total Wine & More

Worked for Total Wine & More? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Total Wine & More Business Analyst interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Total Wine & More employees and interview candidates.