Total Wine & More

Very Easy Interview

Merchandiser Interview

Merchandiser
Cherry Hill, NJ

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Total Wine & More in November 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted an application and was called back after 2 weeks. Had to go through an in person interview, background check, and drug test. Process took almost a month and a half.

Interview Question – Simple interview. Most difficult question is what would my past employer say was my greatest weakness.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for $10 an hour and was told that merchandisers start at $9 and that's on the high side, but after 3 months I could be bumped up higher.

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Total Wine & More in June 2011.

Interview Details – They will sit you down in a room with the manager that is interviewing you, and will ask you several different questions, i.e. describe a situation in which you disagreed with a manager and how you remedied that, what are your greatest skills, etc. They will also have you take a personality test to see if you are high or low risk for the job. You have to be diligent about calling them back once they have made you an offer. Their processes are very drawn out.

Interview Question – There's not much out of the ordinary when it comes to the interview process. It's your typical run of the mill questions.   Answer Question

Front End Team Member Interview

Front End Team Member

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Total Wine & More.

Interview Details – Multiple Interviews. Includes background check, personality test, drug test.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I got an offer, and I accepted

Manager Interview

Manager
Rockville, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Total Wine & More in January 2011.

Interview Details – It took a full day, they make you feel welcome, they are all nice. You are interviewed by several people but it is not a panel interview. The final result is that they do not know what they want even when they get the best candidate. i was told by several recruiters that it tales them a long time to make a decision. it seems that they do not know what they want.

Interview Question – You take a strange test and no one gives you the outcome   Answer Question

Wine Associate Interview

Wine Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Total Wine & More in September 2012.

Interview Details – It was very rigorous, which is good. I like that they screen candidates thoroughly. I dont want to be working with someone who does drugs, or is a criminal.

Interview Question – all the questions that they asked me where very straight forward. very simple.   Answer Question

Merchandiser Interview

Merchandiser

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Total Wine & More.

Interview Details – Surprisingly, this job required me to appear for three separate interviews on different days. First was a pre-screen by the manager on duty, then a standard interview with the hiring manager, and then a third, fairly informal interview with the manager of the specific department I'd be in. On the second visit I had to take one of those silly personality tests on paper which took about a half hour.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you acted out of line and how you learned from it or fixed any problems caused.   Answer Question

Wine Associate Interview

Wine Associate

I applied through other source and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Total Wine & More.

Interview Details – Interview process is normal, they look for people with great personailty and sales, customer service and cash handling experience. if interested you are hired then sent for a drug test. Then you come back between 2-10 days for orientation.

Negotiation Details – None and you are not told the salary when hired. You have to ask!

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Total Wine & More in July 2012.

Interview Details – Overall good interview, they really wanted to understand my level of knowledge of wine and spirits on a scale of proficient, experienced or lacking. I really enjoyed dialogue around growth of the company and the need for managers with operations and sales backgrounds.

Interview Question – I would have to say it was trickier...The question was: Describe the worst boss you have ever had. It was a tricky question because you do not want to say how bad he or she was but what you learned from their tenacious leadership.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Ask for a signing bonus. If you are moving from out of state to the new location, ask if they will pay for moving expenses.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Redondo Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Total Wine & More in July 2010.

Interview Details – Excruciating. You need to scrutinize the app or it will be immediately dismissed. Also don't bother following up. If you filled it out right, they'll call you. Depending on the manager, the interview is either tedious and by the book, or fun and random. Good luck.

Interview Question – What's your favorite movie?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very little room to negotiate.

District Manager Interview

District Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Total Wine & More.

Interview Details – Interview process is very straight forward. HR screen, followed by phone interview with hiring manager. If selected then there are multiple interviews held at the corporate office. Interviews with various Directors, VPs and ownership. The interview process is easy and streamlined. The only issue I had was people did not get back in a timely manner.

Interview Question – Provided "homework" on real case within the company to get your perspective.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation allowed