Total Wine & More

Very Easy Interview

Wine Team Manager Interview

Wine Team Manager
Sacramento, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Total Wine & More in September 2011.

Interview Details – This was for Wine Team Manager for a new store opening in Sacramento.

The interview was unprofessional. As was the Interviewer. He was distracted and unprepared. The entire vetting process would be laughable if it weren't so frustrating.

I applied on Career Builder.com. I got an email asking me to complete a form on the TW&M website. After that I heard nothing for three weeks. So I called the phone# in the email I received from them. The hiring manager (at another store in the area) assured me they would be calling in those who they requested additional info from.

Cool.

Another three weeks. I called again. The hiring manager told me they had a set-back in their opening date and that they'd be calling soon. Two more weeks. Now I'm thinking they passed me over, but I call one more time. Now the manger tells me they've completed the interview process!

When I explain to him this whole scenario I hear rustling of papers (resumes?) and he says, "Yeah, come on in for an interview". I go to the interview. He walks in, he looks a mess. I'm dressed for the interview. He tells me that the open positions are lower level sales staff and cashiers. He seems to have no interest in my six years of winery marketing experience, my knowledge of wine, or my customer service supervisory experience either. I complete the interview, he says they'll be calling back those they want to hire. I hear nothing.

I realize that by the time of the interview the position I was seeking had been filled. Why after the promises of call-backs hadn't there been any contact on their part (after the first request for more info) and when I notified them they made a lame attempt at interest? My resume obviously caught their eye. I attribute it to this disorganized hiring manager losing track of the process entirely. The nterview was a joke.

To say that this was a frustrating interview experience is an understatement. Not because I didn't get the job, that happens to every job seeker, but it's the complete jerk-around disheveled vetting process, and interviewer, that in the end cost them a very experienced candidate.

It really told me a lot about their company.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I have never experienced an interview process like this before. The store itself is beautiful. I would've welcomed the chance to apply my experience to the the position I applied for.

Worked for Total Wine & More? Contribute to the Community!