Tough Mudder Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2014
Updated Aug 25, 2014

3.3

Event Planner Interview

Interview followed by Q&A with contemporaries helped open the door for more information on my end. Unsure at the beginning if there was a definite match given that the company was still defining itself. Felt inspired by the opportunity to truly contribute to and build a brand. Company was outright about long hours and the need to pitch in wherever.

Interview Questions
    • What skills are most necessary in someone you would work with for mutual success   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

Phone interview was all I had, only lasted about 5 minutes. Did not have a good feeling about company after that because of how short it was. Did not feel as if I had a chance to prove myself.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Tough Mudder in April 2013.

The hiring process is lengthy and they require you to meet with 3-4 different groups of people. The first portion of the interview is a "culture" fit while the later portions are a mix between culture and position specific questions

Interview Questions
    • There were some brain teasers and some case study questions that were a bit difficult, but nothing too crazy. The hardest questions to answer were questions around "would you fit in with our culture" as you have no idea what their culture is. I would suggest doing a fair amount of research on how they run their business and what it's like to work at tough mudder so that you can answer those questions a bit better.   Answer Question
    I didn't really negotiate. I got the offer I wanted.

Administrative Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Tough Mudder.

Hired through an agency. Phone and in person interview.

Logistics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tough Mudder in July 2012.

I went through a 3 stage interview process with HR and management. First was a webcam questionnaire interview. This was followed by a group interview that lasted about an hour. The final interview was done by the hiring manager. They try to promote themselves as a hip place to work with constant team collaboration.

Interview Questions
    • None. Standard interview questions. Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Tough Mudder in July 2013.

Application: Submitted resume, cover letter and answers to short answer questions through online application and also had a friend of a friend follow-up.

Interview process: 1) Pre-recorded video questions, 2) HR video skype, 3) 2-on-1 video skype with people from different departments, 4) 1-on-1 video skype case about new market entry, 5) phone call with strategy manager with several tough mini case questions, 6) final round in Brooklyn office that I had to pay for travel myself from Chicago.

Got a pretty basic rejection email that said to keep in touch but have not gotten any responses to the two emails I sent to follow-up, so obviously they didn't mean that. It was a very drawn out process with little to no feedback or information along the way, so it's not worth applying if you don't have the time/patience.

Interview Questions
    • What data would you want about a city when deciding which new market to launch a Tough Mudder event?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Tough Mudder in May 2013.

Their hiring process is quite arduous and rigid in format and structure. They have about 5 levels that must each be completed. I sent in my résumé and cover letter. I recorded my answers to pre-recorded questions. I then was scheduled for a skype interview with someone in HR. This was as far a I got, thought I probably should not have. The interviewer seemed to have already made up her mind about my candidacy, and I felt as though she was wasting both our time. She obviously minimized my face during our chat, there were people distracting her and me in the background, and she read of a set of predetermined questions. My first answer was lengthy enough to encompass both the first and second question, but she asked it anyway, reading from her script. Overall a very poor experience.

Interview Questions
    • They asked my what the biggest issues I saw faced the company moving forward.   View Answer

Event Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Tough Mudder in July 2012.

The online application wasn't too difficult but a little time consuming. A couple of months later I got asked (a week before the interview) to fly out to Brooklyn for an interview on the 4th of July. I live in California so it was a tough decision financially but decided to go ahead and make the trip out there. For being an event company I would've assumed they had some preferred vendors in the area to suggest since most people were from out of town but no guidance, even after I had asked specifically if they had any.

The building is tough to find and there was some construction so the cab driver had some issues getting me there on time. Once there I noticed a big group of young smiling faces that apprently got a memo that it was casual dress while I was in a full on skirt suit and heels. We then piled into a conference office where they had us introduce our self and tell our experience and where we were from. I was impressed with some of the experiences of the people around me as well as how far they had traveled.

Then they had us do an emergency scenario where we each got roles chosen for us on our name tag and we had to figure out things such as exit planning, people on course, people off course, refund, etc. I was given (I think) Volunteer Coordinator. The girl that was given the event director was told she had to facilitate and then speak on everyones behalf. The beginning of the 5 minutes we had was people giving ideas that wouldn't work in an every day situation so even though I was meant to deal mostly with volunteers I gave ideas for almost every position which people loved. By the end of the 5 minutes the hiring managers came in and asked the "event director" what we came up with. She went around the table and mentioned what people had said but failed to talk about my position. Not only did she make it seem like I did not contribute but she used my ideas for the others and said they came up with it. The hiring manager looked at me confused and even singled me out asking what I would do so then I reiterated what I had said but I think he thought I wasn't being a team player.

After that I was already upset but then we had one more part of the interview, we had to interview the person next to us and then tell the hiring manager why they should hire them. This is the weirdest situation ever! The girl next to me had almost no experience so it was hard for me to talk her up but I felt that they were looking for somebody who could market a product (or person) for the benefit of a bigger picture. Unfortunately the girl who interviewed me got very nervous in front of the crowd and kept skipping over her words, being confused on my experience and didn't sell my experience very well.

That was it! They had us fly to NYC on 4th of July and the interview was 30 minutes long, and it had about 8 people in there. I was so disappointed since I thought this company would be full of fun, organization and creativity even in their interviews.

Before getting on my flight home I had emailed my main point of contact from Tough Mudder to thank them for the interview and tried to reiterate my creative points during the interview. I then immediately got a response from him about an interview hes scheduling with a girl in Florida. It made no sense how I got this email and showed how unprofessional they are. I emailed back immediately letting him know that he sent the message to me so it will not get through to the person he intended it for. I never got a response until 1 week later when I got the automated thanks but no thanks email. If they have all these people coming out for a job interview and flying they should at least do a phone interview first; would have saved time and money.

I was very excited to get an interview here as I have always wanted to do events for a fun, great company involved in sports and activities. It might be better once you get hired but I would put that as my worst interview ever.

Senior Director of Design and Construction Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Tough Mudder in June 2013.

Filled out an online application complete with resume and redundant questions. Within a week was invited to participate in a Skype interview with the people team. Accepted and spent about 15 minutes on the phone after the Skype connection failed.

The phone interview consisted of generic questions about how I heard about the job and my background/ experience. In the last 5 minutes I was given an opportunity to turn the tables on the interviewer who provided maybe the most evasive answers I've ever received pertaining to things like what key strengths they were looking for in a candidate and what the time frame was for hiring. No specific qualities and not even a vague timeframe to fill the position were offered.

My final question was something along the lines of " were any of my responses or answers in opposition with what you are looking for in a candidate?" TM Answer: Absolutely not.

45 minutes later I get a "thanks, but no thanks," automated e-mail. BOOM!

I can only surmise that I was not what they were looking for but as someone that values constructive criticism I'm left SMH!

Based on the above I'm not holding my breath that I'll get a response to my follow up request for feedback. Pretty tough to know where I mis stepped or feel good about TM with those kind of HR practices.

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Tough Mudder in March 2013.

Absolutely terrible. Applied online, then waited. Did an online questionnaire, then waited some more. Did a skype interview, then waited even more. Was finally invited to "Super" day or whatever they call it - pretty much bringing in as many hopefuls as they possibly can to sit around awkwardly, each person praying their competition won't get their job. Really? After several rounds of interviews - and several hours - over the course of the day (during which no one asks you if you needed water, food, or to use the facilities), I was escorted out by someone I didn't even know and told that there was a "scheduling conflict" with the next round of interviewers and I would need to come back. I was literally thrown onto an elevator, and received a generic "you didn't get the job, bozo" email two weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • I don't think that any questions were particularly difficult, but be prepared to defend your answers. If you don't defend your question, you're toast.   Answer Question

Worked for Tough Mudder? Contribute to the Community!