Tough Mudder

Updated Aug 25, 2014
Updated Aug 25, 2014

3.3

Event Planner Interview

Interview followed by Q&A with contemporaries helped open the door for more information on my end. Unsure at the beginning if there was a definite match given that the company was still defining itself. Felt inspired by the opportunity to truly contribute to and build a brand. Company was outright about long hours and the need to pitch in wherever.

Interview Questions
    • What skills are most necessary in someone you would work with for mutual success   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

Phone interview was all I had, only lasted about 5 minutes. Did not have a good feeling about company after that because of how short it was. Did not feel as if I had a chance to prove myself.

Administrative Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Tough Mudder.

Hired through an agency. Phone and in person interview.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Tough Mudder in July 2013.

Application: Submitted resume, cover letter and answers to short answer questions through online application and also had a friend of a friend follow-up.

Interview process: 1) Pre-recorded video questions, 2) HR video skype, 3) 2-on-1 video skype with people from different departments, 4) 1-on-1 video skype case about new market entry, 5) phone call with strategy manager with several tough mini case questions, 6) final round in Brooklyn office that I had to pay for travel myself from Chicago.

Got a pretty basic rejection email that said to keep in touch but have not gotten any responses to the two emails I sent to follow-up, so obviously they didn't mean that. It was a very drawn out process with little to no feedback or information along the way, so it's not worth applying if you don't have the time/patience.

Interview Questions
    • What data would you want about a city when deciding which new market to launch a Tough Mudder event?   Answer Question

Senior Director of Design and Construction Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Tough Mudder in June 2013.

Filled out an online application complete with resume and redundant questions. Within a week was invited to participate in a Skype interview with the people team. Accepted and spent about 15 minutes on the phone after the Skype connection failed.

The phone interview consisted of generic questions about how I heard about the job and my background/ experience. In the last 5 minutes I was given an opportunity to turn the tables on the interviewer who provided maybe the most evasive answers I've ever received pertaining to things like what key strengths they were looking for in a candidate and what the time frame was for hiring. No specific qualities and not even a vague timeframe to fill the position were offered.

My final question was something along the lines of " were any of my responses or answers in opposition with what you are looking for in a candidate?" TM Answer: Absolutely not.

45 minutes later I get a "thanks, but no thanks," automated e-mail. BOOM!

I can only surmise that I was not what they were looking for but as someone that values constructive criticism I'm left SMH!

Based on the above I'm not holding my breath that I'll get a response to my follow up request for feedback. Pretty tough to know where I mis stepped or feel good about TM with those kind of HR practices.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Tough Mudder in May 2013.

Their hiring process is quite arduous and rigid in format and structure. They have about 5 levels that must each be completed. I sent in my résumé and cover letter. I recorded my answers to pre-recorded questions. I then was scheduled for a skype interview with someone in HR. This was as far a I got, thought I probably should not have. The interviewer seemed to have already made up her mind about my candidacy, and I felt as though she was wasting both our time. She obviously minimized my face during our chat, there were people distracting her and me in the background, and she read of a set of predetermined questions. My first answer was lengthy enough to encompass both the first and second question, but she asked it anyway, reading from her script. Overall a very poor experience.

Interview Questions
    • They asked my what the biggest issues I saw faced the company moving forward.   View Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Tough Mudder.

As we all know, Tough Mudder is considered a start up and their inexperience certainly shines through.

My application was similar to most. Online application, video response questions, and a Skype interview with a member of their “people” team. A few days later I was on to the next round which consisted of a 4 hour block of time allotted for in-person interviews. As most people are off traveling for work this was designed to be a one-shot trip to get all of my interviews done in one sitting.

On the day of the interview, you had a recruiting coordinator assigned to you who would bring you to each interview and return you back to their dilapidated break room once the interview concluded. You would then wait to find out if you continued on to the next round or were informed that Tough Mudder was ending the interview process here.

My first round of interviews was with two random employees who were from completely unrelated departments to that of which I was interviewing. My interview lasted 30 minutes and consisted of light “get to know you” ice breakers. When I tried to steer the conversation to learn more about the position, I was prompted with “we actually are not familiar with the job posting. We just wanted the chance to chat and get to know you better”. The interview concluded and I was escorted back to the break room. Minutes later I was told “we’re all good; I think you’re done for the day. Let me walk you down to the lobby”. On the way to the elevator all I could think of was what a waste of time this was.

I've had some time to reflect on my recruiting experience and let it all sink in. Just as background for you, I have an impressive resume that boasts my master’s degree and the top leading Companies in my industry that I have worked for. None of that seemed to matter though as their sole assessment was “would these people like to hang out with you”. In essence I went on a job interview where no one assessed my skill set or capabilities to perform the job function efficiently and effectively. Instead I was interviewed by pretentious “mean girls” to determine if they wanted to befriend me and allow me to sit at their table during lunch.

You are also told to dress casually as they want you to be comfortable during the interview process. Apparently the look they envisioned the face of their company to be was “hipsters who get dressed in the dark”. My non-existence at the Company was determined by a 23 year old with a nose ring, jeggings and UGGS. If you show up in pajamas or a burlap sack I’m sure you will fit right in.

For those of you who, like me, did not receive an offer, I really wouldn't worry. With business practices like these and multiple emerging competitors, it’s only a matter of time before Tough Mudder is a forgotten name.

The bottom line to future applicants is don’t bother wasting your time on Tough Mudder. The Company (and yes I use that term very loosely) is run like a sorority and their operations have a lot of flaws. I recommend bypassing them all together and focus on finding a position at a Company that actually has some longevity.

In hindsight, I really don’t know what I was thinking about when trying to obtain this position. Coming from the corporate world, no future employer will take you seriously after seeing Tough Mudder on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't find any of their questions challenging as the interviewers didn't appear to be very cerebral.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Tough Mudder in April 2013.

The hiring process is lengthy and they require you to meet with 3-4 different groups of people. The first portion of the interview is a "culture" fit while the later portions are a mix between culture and position specific questions

Interview Questions
    • There were some brain teasers and some case study questions that were a bit difficult, but nothing too crazy. The hardest questions to answer were questions around "would you fit in with our culture" as you have no idea what their culture is. I would suggest doing a fair amount of research on how they run their business and what it's like to work at tough mudder so that you can answer those questions a bit better.   Answer Question
    I didn't really negotiate. I got the offer I wanted.

Partner Marketing Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Tough Mudder.

I had an initial phone interview with the hiring manager which I thought was a fairly standard initial interview experience. I do not live in the NY area, and so when they wanted me to come in for a face-to-face interview, while I was obviously excited, it was an extremely inconvenience because I was told on very short notice and my travel expenses were all on me. I had my face-to-face interview for only 30 minutes in a little, tiny room, where the hiring manager seemed to act like I was inconveniencing him for coming in, while it was me who traveled 4 hours each way to meet with him and also took a vacation day from my current job. He was also "grading" me right in front of my eyes as I spoke, literally checking off boxes on a sheet that he had. I sensed the interview did not go well, but I was extremely appreciative and polite, as I followed up afterwards with thank you notes. A few weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything and after following up, I received only an automated HR email about a month later, saying they decided to not pursue me further. Additionally, it was implied that if I did continue in the interview process, I would have to find my own way to NY again for a second face-to-face. Very unprofessional experience after my initial phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Put me on the spot for salary expectations and would not let go of the question until I gave a specific answer.   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tough Mudder in March 2013.

Absolutely terrible. Applied online, then waited. Did an online questionnaire, then waited some more. Did a skype interview, then waited even more. Was finally invited to "Super" day or whatever they call it - pretty much bringing in as many hopefuls as they possibly can to sit around awkwardly, each person praying their competition won't get their job. Really? After several rounds of interviews - and several hours - over the course of the day (during which no one asks you if you needed water, food, or to use the facilities), I was escorted out by someone I didn't even know and told that there was a "scheduling conflict" with the next round of interviewers and I would need to come back. I was literally thrown onto an elevator, and received a generic "you didn't get the job, bozo" email two weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • I don't think that any questions were particularly difficult, but be prepared to defend your answers. If you don't defend your question, you're toast.   Answer Question