Tower Research Capital LLC

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate, Human Resources Interview

Associate, Human Resources
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Tower Research Capital LLC in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was initially asked for a phone interview and the interviewer was great. I had all the credentials they were looking for, and was surprised I wasn't asked back. As always, I ask for feedback, but I got the same old "you were great but we found something for another position"

Interview Question – For the first time, they asked about the position and what I knew about it before asking about myself. Typically it's the other way around.   Answer Question

Quantitative Trader Interview

Quantitative Trader

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Tower Research Capital LLC.

Interview Details – on campus interview

Interview Question – not that most difficult question rabbit is jumping stair -> fibonacci   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Quantitative Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Tower Research Capital LLC.

Interview Details – Applied online phone interview

Interview Question – If you have 1000coins on the table with 20heads and 980 tails. You can flip them. How do you separate them into two pils so that they have same number of heads?   View Answer

High Frequency Trading Intern Interview

High Frequency Trading Intern
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tower Research Capital LLC in December 2013.

Interview Details – HR contacted me. I talked to two teams and then had the onsite. Onsite interview were pretty long with a lot of C++ and probability/math problems. I did not get everything right but I got most right or I had a solution they did not expect.

Interview Question – Can't say sorry. Just study a lot before hand.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None needed.

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Tower Research Capital LLC in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through the career website of my university, and then got an on-campus one-on-one interview. The interview was about 10-min intro of the company and 30-min technical questions. Nothing about he resume was asked. After that I was scheduled a phone interview with one of their groups. They asked about relevant experiences on my resume. After that it was all technical questions. A week later I was invited to an on-site interview. I talked to a couple of people in their group. The nature of the interviews is the same as the previous ones. People are very friendly there. Relaxed atmosphere.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had another opportunity that is more suitable at the moment.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Quantitative Analyst

Interview Details – Got an interview by campus recruiting

Interview Question – You are given two eggs, and access to a 100-storey building. Both eggs are identical. The aim is to find out the highest floor from which an egg will not break when dropped out of a window from that floor. If an egg is dropped and does not break, it is undamaged and can be dropped again. However, once an egg is broken, that’s it for that egg.

If an egg breaks when dropped from floor n, then it would also have broken from any floor above that. If an egg survives a fall, then it will survive any fall shorter than that.

The question is: What strategy should you adopt to minimize the number egg drops it takes to find the solution?. (And what is the worst case for the number of drops it will take?)
  View Answers (2)

Very Easy Interview

Quantitative Trader Interview

Quantitative Trader

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Tower Research Capital LLC in October 2013.

Interview Details – I first took a telephone call for initial screening into a silo.
They then followed up with a telephone call from the head of a silo that they had deemed appropriate, followed by a telephone call from the deputy head of the silo a week later.

Mostly straightforward questions about career goals, no technical questions, simply attempting to verify my previous accomplishments.

Summer Research Associate Interview

Summer Research Associate

Interviewed at Tower Research Capital LLC

Interview Details – Applied through campus job fair, got an on-campus interview.
It was not hard at all, will ask you about your experiences, the classes you have taken and some basic questions on statistics and probability.

Interview Question – pretty easy in general   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Office Manager Interview

Office Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Tower Research Capital LLC in January 2013.

Interview Details – Referred by a recruiter. The interview process moved along pretty quickly. They offer some nice perks there like free meals, gym, casual attire environment.

Had a phone interview first and that went fine. Then two separate onsite interviews on two different dates which was a bit much seeing that I was employed at the time. The first onsite was with two people. The second onsite was with three people including the founder/owner. During the third round one interviewer seemed to be trying to "catch" me or trying to see if what I had on the resume was the truth. He asked me why was I leaving the company and when I answered, his response was "Aren't there other positions in the company to go to?" I thought that was odd. I felt that I was really defending myself more than anything. He did offer some critiques on the resume that I thought were valuable, it was just that I didn't think that was the right time for that.

The interview with the owner was quite the experience. You can tell that the man is highly intelligent, but he admitted that he was not the best at interviewing people. He struggled with what to ask me I guess because this was not a technical interview. I tried to just talk about my background and experience, but the interview just got weird and he seemed to get frustrated. Then he said, "Ok I have made up my mind. Is there anything else you want to say to convince me?"

I thought this was rude and unprofessional, and even when I answered the last question he was looking away and not listening. I left there feeling really awful. It was not a good interview. Because he didn't know "how to interview" for this support role it really did waste time for the both of us. This was the second site visit and I had to take full days off from work to be there both times. I just left feeling really bad and somewhat insulted by his demeanor. Just because he owned the place doesn't give him the right to be rude to an eager job seeker.

Interview Question – How is your house decorated? (Really, this is what the owner asked me).   Answer Question

Senior Exchange Engineer Interview

Senior Exchange Engineer
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tower Research Capital LLC in July 2013.

Interview Details – The benefits and salary offered are competitive, but as others have said, it is rare to get an offer. I'm not sure what they are looking for. I'm a senior consultant in Exchange for a top consulting firm, but was not offered the job after 2 phone screens and an onsite interview.

If you apply here, make sure you continue to look elsewhere while you wait days/weeks to hear back from them after each step in the process.
They were late for both phone interviews by more than 30 minutes, which I found unprofessional and inconvenient as I am currently employed and have responsibilities I have to put aside while making time for this.

The onsite interview consisted of a written test, which was not difficult and included a few vague questions where it wasn't clear what answer they were looking for. Other people from the Unix team will interview you as well. They don't know anything about Microsoft and will ask a bunch of questions about RAID and storage, so be sure you bone up on all different kinds of RAID configuration. I personally use Netapp SANs almost exclusively, but was able to answer their questions, accurately I believe.

I have no idea why I wasn't extended the offer. I think they should prepare more for the phone interviews and do a better job of screening before requiring someone to come onsite and take a day off, which is inconvenient for those of us currently employed.

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult. At the end of the first interview I was asked a riddle question that I already knew the answer to. Just google "light bulb riddle"   Answer Question

Worked for Tower Research Capital LLC? Contribute to the Community!