Towers Watson

Updated Nov 24, 2014
Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.9

.NET Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Towers Watson.

I applied through LinkedIn, got response in a week. Was interviewed following week over the phone. It lasted for an hour. It was basic technical questions and some project management questions to verify your genuineness of your experience. Got response in 3 days and was scheduled for the interview a week later. The interview was held onsite. There were 3 rounds of interviews. One was with the Director of IT, the other with PM and the last one with Architect/TL. The architect asked question specific to the project. This was followed by some technical discussion about Sitecore architecture. This was then followed by code to debug and improve. The code has some compilation issues, it was simple.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate. It is such a great company and I was looking forward to be part of this company. Moreover, the offer was as per industry standard.

Marketing Interview

I first got the phone interview for the marketing intern position. All were basic questions. What's your long term goal of career? Why do you choose Tower Watson? And review the resume and recent work experiences. The process was not slow. Hope you could get the opportunity after some preparation.

Health & Group Benefits Analyst Interview

Submitted resume at career fair at University. Was called for a phone interview a few weeks later. After the phone interview, they told me to come in for a super day at the office in Parsippany. There I had 4 interviews back to back, one of which was a mini "case" so to speak/ About a week or two later I got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the recent healthcare changes happening?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Towers Watson.

First round of fit questions. Walk us through your resume type questions. Then meet with 4-5 people at company and answer similar questions + why you want to work here, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What is a time where you had to explain a complex problem and how did you do it?   Answer Question
    • When is a time you worked in a group and what was your role? How did you decide? Did you deal with a difficult group member? How? Etc...   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Towers Watson.

all about behavior questions. Why do you want to be an actuary? Tell me about your self and go through your resumes asking for examples and projects details. But you have to prepare it well. I am a little bit nervous and read my notes a lot. Avoid doing such and speak it yourself.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Towers Watson in October 2014.

First round interview through my university, two interviewers basically ran through my resume and asked to expand upon things (i.e. So you've passed exams P and FM? How did you prepare for those?)

Interview Questions
    • They asked my ACT and Math ACT scores. Seemed unnecessary.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Towers Watson in October 2014.

Applied thru University site, got an email a week later saying I had been invited to first rounds. Pure behavioral questions, walk me through your resume, why this company, why this role, etc. Interviewer spoke about his background and role, extremely easygoing and nice. I thought I had it in the bag, but was never emailed back. Inquired about my status and was instantly sent a letter saying I hadn't made it to second round. Overall good experience.

Health & Group Benefits Analyst Interview

Pretty basic behavioral questions covering your resume and different analytical skills that apply to the company. I would definitely have a basic understanding of the healthcare industry before and what current events are driving change.

Interview Questions
    • What effect do you think Obamacare will have on healthcare benefits?   Answer Question

Health & Group Benefits Senior Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Towers Watson.

A recruiter initially called me to do a phone screen and set up an interview. Initially things went well (although there seemed to be a long delay in between each step of the process beyond what the recruiter would estimate each time - this should have been a red flag for me and I hope other candidates take note of this) and I was told that I would have my choice of locations within a cluster of states, including the one in which I lived and wanted to stay. After a phone interview, I went into the office location nearest to my current position at that time and interviewed in person with six different people over half a day. After another period of radio silence lasting almost four weeks, during which I called and left messages or emailed once per week (this was typical by now), I was told that, actually, they now wanted me in an entirely different state and would I please go interview out there. I was feeling a little bait-and-switched at this point but the position seemed like a good one so I agreed.

Another three weeks of unreturned follow up calls and I was asked to make my own travel arrangements for two days later! I was told that my interview information and reimbursement form would be coming via email, which of course they did not. I had to call this recruiter the next day and say I would not be able to purchase airline tickets and make hotel reservations until I had some sort of written confirmation because I lacked any confidence in her at this point and did not want to shell out almost $1000 only to find out that things had not been finalized.

I interviewed with another five people at this other location, but heard from multiple people that the majority of their clients were back in the state I had just come from! I was very confused as to why I was being asked to relocate if this was the case. Anyway, I felt that things went well and that I made positive connections with everyone and I did get positive feedback (after another few weeks) from the recruiter that everyone had liked me and they were interested in moving forward. We did the salary negotiation and she said she would be sending over their benefits package for me to review - it never came. I called again once per week for a few more weeks and finally was in a position where I needed to make a decision with another company. I did not want to be rude and leave this other organization waiting for an answer so I left a message letting the recruiter know that I had this decision to make and what do you know? I get a call back the next day! She tells me that they had decided to go with someone else! She also emphasized that everyone had liked me and it "wasn't something you said" but was unable to provide any further explanation.

In total I invested many hours following up and speaking with this recruiter and took several days off of work to complete all the interviews and travel they asked me to. The whole process was chaotic, disorganized and left me feeling as though my time and efforts had not been respected at all. I would have been extremely hesitant to accept an offer had one been made. I also want to emphasize that almost all the Towers Watson employees I interviewed with seemed like great people and I have no complaints about them. I think this particular recruiter just had no respect for potential hires' time and that the hiring manager was using a lot of underhanded tactics during the recruiting process. (This may also partly explain the long periods with no communication - I believe he was responsible for giving her the go-ahead at each point and he let things lag for whatever reason)

Looking back at all the red flags, I should have known better. I had this gut feeling all along that the reason things were taking so long might have been that they were trying to scare up any other possible candidates - trying to find someone to do it for less, etc. I also spoke with a friend in consulting who said that one tactic that cheap firms will use is opening up offices in less expensive locations and put people there who still work on high-paying clients in pricier areas like LA or New York, all while paying the employees the lower cost-of-living salary - this is exactly that it seems like they were trying to do with me and I'm glad I didn't get suckered into it. I would think long and hard about going to work for Towers Watson. If you are interviewing, ask pointed questions that will allow you to see what is going on behind the scenes - why are you hiring now? What happened to the person in this position previously? Where would the majority of my clients be located? Would I be asked to move shortly after being hired? They might not answer them, or they might lie to you based on my experience, but it's better than finding out after you've relocated to a different state.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unusual, although the process took so long I barely remember the actual interview.   Answer Question

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Towers Watson.

I applied both online (through the Towers website and my school's website) and on campus (at a career fair) and was called in for an on campus interview. I was picked for my sales experience within my own businesses. The interviewer was inexperienced and unprepared, so the interview was a bit of a mess: it lacked guidance. There were excessive questions about my resume since he didn't look at it beforehand. I tried to guide the interview, but then the questions he was supposed to ask me were asking me to reiterate what I'd already stated. Now that I think about it, I don't think they actually hired anyone out of the process either. I think they just hired an extra intern instead.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when a client had a problem and how did you solve it.   Answer Question