Toys ''R'' Us Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 9, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Two managers asking questions. They took turns asking behavioral questions and basically wanted to get to know you as a person. They were incredibly friendly during the interview process and never really gave a hard time. They were more interested in knowing you as a person and see how you handled the interview in the first place.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Toys ''R'' Us

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview

There was a round-table interview process with several other Department Supervisors from the district. There were store managers, the DM, and the HRDM sitting in the room taking notes and observing our behavior. They asked us questions and generally gave feedback on the spot. Afterwards we each had two individual interviews. I interviewed with two store managers for the first interview. My second individual interview was with the DM and another store manager.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about what the company values were and where I thought I fell on that spectrum. Why did I feel that I met that particular company value.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not a negotiation for this position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Langhorne, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Langhorne, PA).

Interview

Met with DM in Montgomery Store. The interview lasted 1 hour 45 min.
    We talked about all my prior experience and he was very impressed with me owning my
    own successful business.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

48,000, have a number in mind that you will not go below.

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

I got in touch with the Toys team through my school. The staff members were really nice and the interviews are straight forward, with some difficult questions. They got back to me 2-3 weeks later. The team that I worked with though was very unorganized. I felt like no one really knew what was going on with when they would get back to me; they even lost my application and I had to apply again. I really wanted to work for the company and after 3 interviews I got a misleading call that I was the perfect fit for the position in their headquarters (in NJ). But that statement apparently didn't mean that I got the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a very lazy employee?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Yorktown Heights, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Yorktown Heights, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

General, unimaginative phone interview. What's your strengths, weakness? Why Toys R Us? Blah, blah, blah. The interview actually went very well, but I wasn't given an offer b/c of my bad credit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montebello, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Montebello, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

Groups interview/ observation in three phases;

part 1) They gave us a piece of paper to fold and asked us to write or draw three things; 1) favorite song and why 2) your first job, 3) your hobbies. Obviously they want to see your creative side and the kid inside. so don't feel to get creative..

Part2) the managers pared us up with partners and assigned us a bucket of building blocks. We were suppose to build a product and think off all the features and prices, seasons, etc... pretty much sell the product to them(once again don't be afraid to get Creative)

Part 3) individual interview consisted of two very simple questions, 1) why do you want to work for Toys R Us 2) what are your strengths and opportunities.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Depends on experience

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Gainesville, FL) in October 2010.

Interview

Was told in the interview that I would receive a second interview, but received an email a few weeks later saying that i was rejected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Las Vegas, NV) in April 2010.

Interview

Interviewed for internal promote from Department Supervisor to Assistant Store Manager.

Negotiation

All newly promoted ASMs make the same salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Paramus, NJ) in July 2008.

Interview

Applied online. After receiving an email establishing interest, I received a follow up call for a phone interview. The successful phone interview was followed with two face to face interviews by the DM and the regional HR.

Interview Questions

• There were no trick questions. The line of questions was very straight forward, but also geared towards store management, not from the perspective of an associate. It is a good idea to keep your answers with the store unit and company needs in mind   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary negotiation is HEAVILY based on prior experience. The same exact position can be held by individuals earning tens of thousand more or less due to how you interviewed and your retail work experience.

All three interviewers were very professional and pleasant. Though the interviews themselves were warm and stress-free, there was very clear line of questioning screening for management experience and competence. There were many hypothetical scenarios with touchy or difficult performance management components which are pretty common in retail.

The questions, while conversational, came quickly and had a practiced delivery to them. The impression I received was that they were not trying to trip you up, but rather to get your instinctive responses to gauge your ability to react quickly and appropriately should similar situations arise.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in May 2011.

Interview

A ton of interviews, many of which were on the phone. All the members of management seems very credible. They fail to share the reality of the work life imbalance. The lack of resources all management faces, and the clear cut backs so the company can look good on paper.

Interview Questions

• Why has been the most challenging issue you have faced in your carreer? What was your role in making it challenging?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not willing to pay for the work they want.