Toys ''R'' Us

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Langhorne, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Met with DM in Montgomery Store. The interview lasted 1 hour 45 min.
We talked about all my prior experience and he was very impressed with me owning my
own successful business.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you ?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – 48,000, have a number in mind that you will not go below.

Paramus, NJ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2008.

Interview Details – Applied online. After receiving an email establishing interest, I received a follow up call for a phone interview. The successful phone interview was followed with two face to face interviews by the DM and the regional HR.

Interview Question – There were no trick questions. The line of questions was very straight forward, but also geared towards store management, not from the perspective of an associate. It is a good idea to keep your answers with the store unit and company needs in mind   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary negotiation is HEAVILY based on prior experience. The same exact position can be held by individuals earning tens of thousand more or less due to how you interviewed and your retail work experience.

All three interviewers were very professional and pleasant. Though the interviews themselves were warm and stress-free, there was very clear line of questioning screening for management experience and competence. There were many hypothetical scenarios with touchy or difficult performance management components which are pretty common in retail.

The questions, while conversational, came quickly and had a practiced delivery to them. The impression I received was that they were not trying to trip you up, but rather to get your instinctive responses to gauge your ability to react quickly and appropriately should similar situations arise.

Jacksonville, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – I got in touch with the Toys team through my school. The staff members were really nice and the interviews are straight forward, with some difficult questions. They got back to me 2-3 weeks later. The team that I worked with though was very unorganized. I felt like no one really knew what was going on with when they would get back to me; they even lost my application and I had to apply again. I really wanted to work for the company and after 3 interviews I got a misleading call that I was the perfect fit for the position in their headquarters (in NJ). But that statement apparently didn't mean that I got the job.

Interview Question – How do you handle a very lazy employee?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Las Vegas, NV

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in April 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed for internal promote from Department Supervisor to Assistant Store Manager.

Negotiation Details – All newly promoted ASMs make the same salary.

Very Easy Interview

Yorktown Heights, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in February 2012.

Interview Details – General, unimaginative phone interview. What's your strengths, weakness? Why Toys R Us? Blah, blah, blah. The interview actually went very well, but I wasn't given an offer b/c of my bad credit.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   View Answers (3)

Montebello, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in April 2011.

Interview Details – Groups interview/ observation in three phases;

part 1) They gave us a piece of paper to fold and asked us to write or draw three things; 1) favorite song and why 2) your first job, 3) your hobbies. Obviously they want to see your creative side and the kid inside. so don't feel to get creative..

Part2) the managers pared us up with partners and assigned us a bucket of building blocks. We were suppose to build a product and think off all the features and prices, seasons, etc... pretty much sell the product to them(once again don't be afraid to get Creative)

Part 3) individual interview consisted of two very simple questions, 1) why do you want to work for Toys R Us 2) what are your strengths and opportunities.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Depends on experience

Gainesville, FL

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2010.

Interview Details – Was told in the interview that I would receive a second interview, but received an email a few weeks later saying that i was rejected.

Interview Question – What was your best accomplishment?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2009.

Interview Details – The process was concise and clear. I had no issues with the process.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in May 2011.

Interview Details – A ton of interviews, many of which were on the phone. All the members of management seems very credible. They fail to share the reality of the work life imbalance. The lack of resources all management faces, and the clear cut backs so the company can look good on paper.

Interview Question – Why has been the most challenging issue you have faced in your carreer? What was your role in making it challenging?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not willing to pay for the work they want.

Assistant Store Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in March 2010.

Interview Details – Very detailed questions on how you would handle certain challenges. Nice guy. Not sure if it is for me.

Interview Question – What is a challenge you overcame?   Answer Question

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!