Toys ''R'' Us Interview Questions in Atlanta, GA

Updated May 24, 2015

2.5

Over Night Stock Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Fayetteville, GA) in September 2014.

Interview

Process took about one week an employee from the store called and asked if I could come in the next day for a night interview I showed up to find out it was a group interview we all got a name tag and introduced our self then we had to go in the store for like 5 min and pick a toy and go back and sell it to the HR Managers as if they were the customers then after that we broke up into groups to build amusement parks out of legos after that we were called in for 1:1 interviews and was told they will call us back when background check came back and that took like 3 days to hear from them

Negotiation

N/A

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lithonia, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Lithonia, GA).

Interview

When I interviewed (in 2012), we were asked to pick out a toy from within the store and act like we were selling it to the other members of the group interview. Even if you don't know much about the toy, they want to see your enthusiasm and charm. Because after all, it is a children's store.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a problem you had in a previous job and how you resolved it? (I couldn't really think of one right away so I made one up, it was better that way)   Answer Question

Negotiation

The HR representative told me what my salary was going to be and he asked me if I was ok with that. I didn't ask him for a larger salary.

Sales Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Lawrenceville, GA) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied for job via the internet. Was a simple application process. The interviewers were relaxed and kind. They were obviously passionate about working there. First, all the job applicants did a "group" project where we had to work together to design a toy for children. Then, we did "individual" project in front of the other job applicants where we had to choose a toy and pretend like we were selling it to a customer. Finally, we each did a "private" interview with the interviewers. It was a short and surprisingly non-stressful interview process.

Interview Questions

• "Choose a toy and 'sell' it to a customer."   1 Answer

Store Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Smyrna, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Smyrna, GA) in December 2012.

Interview

My process began on my University campus, I met with them during a job fair and was given an interview the next day. After that interview I received a email requesting a "Round Robin" interview. I arrived there and it was 6 other, we were there from 9 am to 1 pm. The Interview consisted of all 6 of us taking turns being interview by 4 people in all, two at a time. During the times we were not being interviewed, we were in the break room talking to two other Toys R US employees... whom I'm sure had a say so in the hiring process as well. We were given lunch, and that was it.

Interview Questions

• We were asked normal interview questions; such as, Name a time when you had to work in a face paced environment. I think the most difficult question was "Do you have any question for us?" After being in the break room for hours I was able to ask plenty of questions, so by the time I got to the person who actually interviewed me, I couldn't think of anything!!   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lithonia, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Lithonia, GA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied online. Received a phone call for an interview. Went on interview was told to pick a toy. Had to basically sell the toy to the group. Then we broke up in groups and had to create a product using building blocks and sell it to a customer.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lithonia, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Lithonia, GA) in July 2012.

Interview

First, you must take an online assessment. (which, is actually quite easy) If you score high enough on that, they call you in for an in-store interview. It is a group interview and once inside, you are immediately asked to go pick out a children's toy. You have 5 minutes to analyze the toy, then you must sell it to the group. Most important thing for this interview is to: be overly enthusiastic at all times! & even if you don't know the exact answer to a question, make up something logical.

Sales Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucker, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Tucker, GA) in November 2011.

Interview

I applied the Friday night and that following Sunday, at 12:30 am (I was surprised of ). The person asked me a couple of relevant questions on my history, like if I had any retail experience of which I had none, then asked me if I could come on in the coming Monday (week before Black Friday) at either 10:00 am or 5:30 pm for a group interview. I choose 5:30. One thing I should note is that I believe the HR person working is fairly new but was awfully nice (this will lead into my dilema I'll talk about in the end, though shouldn't worry anyone really, but important*** after interview advice). Thankfully I found this website the night before and found was glad to find the group interview was similar to everyone else on here. Interview: I arrived about 5:25 pm, and approached the service desk at the entrance, where I was told to look around the store and then return to the break room. I really only had time to walk around the place once, looked different from when I saw the store about a year earlier, brighter in my opinion. There was good reason for that. I returned to the break room and sat down with about 20 other people. The HR person checked who was there, waited 5 more minutes for late comers, and talked a tad about herself. Then the person went for the manager who introduced himself and talked about Toys R Us as a whole and how they were attempting to give the store a face lift, giving the customer a knowledgeable service something a store like Walmart can't give you, along with more choice (they carry quite a bit of exclusive toys). The manager talked about changing people and that he was new in the past 6 months, had organized the store to a more organized manner (which I agreed with). Then they asked us to go and get a toy we craved as a child or such, learn as much as we could about it, and then took turns presenting it. I wanted to stand out so I went last so as to not give hints to the others (mainly because I read Glassdoor posts!) and it helped people kept going forward without being asked. I choose Legos (which you can't go wrong with really at Toys R Us). Things to mention: – Age – Batteries (only if required*) > Toys R Us makes a ton off batteries – Add some Enthusiasm/Passion/Knowledgeable insight... like I mentioned that though Lego's says for 7 to 12 year old age, I still own my today – Price (I was the only one that mentioned Price) Then they took people one by one into an office and gave a one-on-one interview with the manager and HR person. Talked with the manager most of the time, who asked me the same 2 questions I got asked on the phone about why I hadn't been working for a few months (I just graduated and took some personal time but tutored at a non-profit) and if I had any retail experience. I answered in the same way as on the phone, expanded a little on my history. Then the manager offered me a job. He said the only reason I got the job was because they really needed help (wouldn't of gotten a job if I applied a month earlier without retail experience) and I got a degree recently. Note: I wore nice jeans, T-Shirt, and nice fleece, unlike the majority of the group. So I'd agree it's pretty laid back. Just figure a way to stand out! After Interview: Now, they told me that "hopefully" in 2 days I'd get a call after background checks came through and be "on the floor" by the coming Sunday ready for Black Friday. I didn't get a call and finally called on Friday, HR person said Sunday, then I called on Wednesday (yes before Thanksgiving) and they told me the contract was signed and that day, but because of the time left I'd get a call next week. The delay I was told due to the Black Friday hiring rush and background checks got backed up. I think this has to do with the HR person's inexperience, but now it is the following week and still no call. I'm sure they still want me, but I'm the one making calls here. So just be wary on the time it takes with background checks, I have no criminal history, just this HR person has little experience with it, search it online if you have any more questions!

Interview Questions

• Do you have any retail experience?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Atlanta, GA) in July 2011.

Interview

I received a call about a month and a half after I applied. I was called in for an interview at 11am. When I got there I was instructed to go to the break room. The manager was out so the head HR person got us started. We went to a separate room, she did a role call of about 15 applications, 12 of us showed up. We introduced ourselves, then we did the sale pitch game. Two people go up, one is the sales associate, and one is the customer. Basically role play an everyday customer interaction. When that was done we went back to the break room and they split us up into two teams. We had to construct a toy out of Legos. We had 15 minutes and they watched us. Both the manager and the lead Hr lady. When that was done they did the solo interviews. They sent no one home. The first 5 interviews were about 10-15 minutes. Then a store manager went into the interview room. All of us waiting to be interviewed assumed they may have already hired someone when he came in. The interview questions were kind of difficult if you dont have any retail experience. The ones I remember were as followed// or at least similar.: Describe a time where you helped a customer and felt good about it? Describe a time where you suggested or helped improve something at previous job? Are you in school? When are you available? Describe a time you had to make an important decision? Do you have any questions for us?

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunwoody, GA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Dunwoody, GA) in February 2011.

Interview

I think the only reason i got hired for this job is because i went directly to the store to which i applied and i demonstrated that i really wanted this job. She (the hr) immediately sat down and took a look at my application and told me my availability is perfect and invited me to a group interview the following friday morning. There were about 5 other people and a couple people that never showed. Make sure you are early because they will tell you to go home if you are late. First we introduce ourselves... Make sure you go first because they like peoople who put themselves out. Be positive, energetic, and outgoing. Then they ask you to choose out something from the store and sell it. - but therre is a twist. Once you choose something to sell they make you switch the item with another person. It is SO nervewrecking, at least for me.and they want you to approach guests with the question "what can i help you find today?" instead of "can i help you find anything today?".. Then, they talk about r us values and the star system... And then do a 1 on 1... More like 2 on 1 with you and wont tell you if you are hired or not. I got a call about a month later with an offer.....

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for babies r us? What makes you a good candidate?   Answer Question

Negotiation

. Oh and dont negotiate because i saw on the interview checklist that if they dont accept offer then you are automaticaly taken off considedration for hire

Department Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us (Atlanta, GA) in September 2010.

Interview

Similar story to previous posts: Phone call to set up interview, "interview" consisted of 8 people doing a practice sales pitch, a teamwork exercise, and a panel 1 on 1 (or 3 on 1) interview. The mangers interviewing were very nice & polite; the atmosphere was very casual. Ended on a good note. Follow up interview two days later with district manager, also very friendly & casual interview. Should hear something by Monday.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you were commended on "a job well done"   Answer Question
    • What is the most stressful thing about a new position?   Answer Question