Toys ''R'' Us

Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buckhead, GA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buckhead, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2014.

Applied online. It was the standard retail application process, with the multiple choice aptitude test at the end of the application. Got a call to interview in-store about 2 days later. The interview process was unorthodox: Which could be expected from a giant toy store. It was a group interview, and the first thing we had to do was grab a toy that we thought best described our personality. Second, we had to create a commercial for that toy, and act it out. 3rd, we had to partner with someone and make a commercial based on our two toys. Was told I got the job after the interview process was over.

Interview Questions
  • Combining my toy with someone elses was pretty challenging, in that you had to try to sell items together that were completely unrelated.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Toys ''R'' Us

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

Previously, I read about Toys R Us interviews on Glassdoor, and yes it was a group interview. There were 5 interviewees and we had to start by introducing ourselves by giving work background, skill set, etc. Then, we had to do a team building project of building legos. Each group member gave some details about the toy that was made. Next, they wanted us to select a toy from an area and sell it to the group. Be careful to listen to the HR manager or store manager as they will provide some hints you should use in your presentation such as batteries and their rewards program. Finally, they made their selection who they wanted to keep for the one on one interview. They asked me a couple of questions during the one on one and offered me the job on site.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss a project where you had to work on a team to complete.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, you know the hiring rate upfront.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

Very Quick And Thorough. You Get Together With Other Candidates And Make A Object Out Of Lego's. Than You Do Your Own One Minute Commercial As A Sales Pitch. After That They Take You Into A Private Room And Ask You Why You Would Like Working For Them.

Interview Questions
    • Getting In Front Of Other Strangers And Doing A Commercial.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2012.

I applied online for the Back of House Team Member position and I was called for an interview the next day. They asked how I was doing and if I were able to make it to an interview the next day and I agreed. Once I was there, this store was pretty empty and I was told to go sit in the employee room, which was a very cramped area with two tables and baby toys lined up at the wall. The manager seemed pretty disconnected and didn't say much after the employee told the groups (there was two) what Toys R Us and Babies R Us was all about.

Our first task was to introduce ourselves with our name, our favorite movie, and our favorite toy. And then we were to create some kind of profitable toy out of some kind of pieces that could go together and we were given five minutes to do so. In the allotted time, the manager said he would watch us put them together, but when we started, he walked out of the door and never came back. After that, we were to describe the toy with a name and describe what it does.

After that, we each grabbed one of the toys from the table and were given a couple of minutes to study it before giving a sales pitch to one of our partners at our table. Once everyone was able to do this, we were told that they had interviewed hundreds of people the last couple of weeks and that we would get a call by the end of the day if we were accepted for a second interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olympia, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olympia, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2011.

The interview went well. It was a group interview where they made us play with toys to see how we work together as a team. Then they asked us to pick a toy and sell it. It was all fairly relaxed. They were looking for people with a good sense of humor and salesmanship.

The most important things when selling the product are to sell batteries or accessories if they have them. Also be sure to sell the buyer protection plan, the credit card, or the membership. In our interview we were all given lots of pamphlets of the buyer protection plan and only 1 of the credit/membership card so look carefully for those. They only give you a few minutes to review the pamphlets. You can locate how much the buyer protection plan covers on the back of the pamphlets just keep looking.

None of us found the credit card pamphlet or the membership one and still 4 of us got hired. It was seasonal hiring (for black friday and christmas) so if you want a temp job that's a great time to apply. They over hire and then fire 50% of the those people after the season.

Anyways, after the group interview were 2 on 1 interviews with 2 managers and 1 applicant. They asked simple questions such as: If you have a spill on the floor, a customer wanting your attention to grab a product from a tall shelf, and a long line at the registry which do you address first and why? The correct order was the spill for safety reasons then the customer who needs attention and then the registry. However you describe why is up to you but pretty much : safety, customer needs then regular job duties.

I got a call with a job offer within a week. I also had someone who worked there what recommended me. But I think that only got me as far as the interview.

Anyways, hope all that was helpful, Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Scenario: There is a some liquid spilled on the floor, a customer needing your attention with a product on a tall shelf, and a line at the registry. Your main job is at registry. how do you address these problems and why?   View Answer