Toys ''R'' Us Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2014

2.2

46 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

It was a group interview, questions weren't really organized, they were just trying to see how you interacted with your peers. I was then interviewed individually, asked me how I dealt with rude or unruly customers, hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
  • What was the most difficult situation you've been placed in customer-wise?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Toys ''R'' Us

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in February 2014.

The process took about 2 weeks from start to finish. Started off with the application then I was called in for a face interview with the store manager. Took about a week to get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time you had a disrupt customer and how did you handle it and the final outcome.   Answer Question
    It was a set hourly rate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

It was easy. They asked about former employment. They reiterated about background check.

Interview Questions
    • There were none. No difficult questions, no unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    There was none.

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Iet was a group interview and they picked ppl to be in a group together and as a group you have to sell the item they give you

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about yourself that you couldn't tell by looking at you......didn't expect that question   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood, IN

I applied online – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2013.

I was called in for a group interview and we had to pick out a toy and pretend to sell the toy to the manager and then got into groups of two and interviewed each other and then went to do one on one interviews with the manager, there was only four people there and we all got hired and we are permanent people luckily and not just holiday workers!

Interview Questions
    • What is the one thing we should know about you without going off of whats on your application?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tukwila, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tukwila, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2013.

I applied online, and they call you in, they do group interviews. We all introduced ourselves gave a bit of background info. The interviewers were really friendly. They didn't ask us to sell anything or play with toys, they asked basic questions like where do you want to be in five years, name a time when you worked in a hectic chaniging environment, give a time when you dealt with conflict. Even if you don't have any experience just be friendly, smile be polite and look interested. My interviewer was a laidback type person. After the interview they said they'd call us in a few hours with a decision and did a background check. The whole process took only a week.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to think out of the box to fix a problem or come up with a solution to the problem.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Submitted a job application from Snagajob.com and received an email to interview the next week. Did not mention it was a group interview. Group interview was each person had to talk about themselves, then we were paired up and we had to tell the manager why she should hire the other person, had to sell a toy, and then a lego building exercise.

Interview Questions
    • The selling a toy, make sure to sell a toy that you can sell other things with it and make sure to know the cost of the toy   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in March 2013.

Applied. Revived a call and scheduled the interviews a week later. First conducted a group interview with about 8 other people. Was asked to stay after other applicants left and performed an interview with store manager. They gave me a start date a few days after that and all the paper work was done on the first day.

Interview Questions
    • Go through the store, pick two items, and give a presentation on what the highlights and benefits are of buying that item.   Answer Question
    N.a.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2012.

Group interview it was fairly easy and different. I personally like this type of interview.

Interview Questions
    They offered me the job, and told me the starting pay

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Totowa, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Totowa, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2012.

Single handedly the most wacky, off the wall interview I've ever experienced and will ever experience that will leave you wondering if this company takes itself seriously or not.

Unlike most group interviews where it's you versus multiple managers, this time you and several other applicants are being tested and interviewed at the same time, in the same room.

You're asked very few questions for the most part are subjected to a series of game-like challenges involving everything from submitting a toy idea that you build with Lego blocks to agreeing on a toy with the entire group of applicants in order to do a make-believe 1 minute commercial on it that tests your teamwork and leadership skills with strangers and competitiveness.

I think what I found to be the most frustrating after the fact part about this experience is that the managers play along and do the challenges as well. The annoying part of this being that they know the best possible solutions to their own challenges which they like to show off with an air of obnoxious superiority to pat themselves on the back while dazzling you. For example, with the Lego block challenge, you're tasked with creating a toy design using Legos within a certain time limit and then pitching it, along with a suggested retail price, to the managers and other applicants who can then praise, ask questions about or criticize your idea.

After everyone has their turn, the manager goes and places a single block on the table saying his idea is the block itself, the keystone, as without that, nothing can be built and therefore he can demand any price he wants as anyone looking to build anything would have to go through him and be forced to pay him any price he asked for this priceless resource. The senior manager gloated at length about his simple genius and how one block trumps all of our designs combined and while it was ingenious, I found it to be a cheap and easy out.

Before such festivities though, the interview starts with each applicant tearing any number of sheets they desire (with a minimum of 1) from a roll of toilet paper. The applicant will then have to tell everyone in the room a number of facts about themself equal to the number of sheets they tore off. However, during my particular interview, others knew about this part thanks to a past applicant spoiling the secret and they all selected 1 except for me so it got changed to everyone had to tell a number of facts about themself equal to the highest amount torn by a single person, which was me with five sheets. The manager revealed had everyone selected 1, it would've been the combined total of them all which would've been 7 that day.

After the few basic questions and the wacky challenges (we only had time for two, the legos and fake commercial), we then watched a brief orientation video while being called out of the room one by one to be thanked, asked if we had any questions and then sent home.

I think the worst part about all of this was the manager knew I was unemployed at the time with my unemployment benefits completely exhausted. I told him how much getting this job meant to me and he said to call back the same time next week only for me to find out that he decided to go on vacation that day. What insensitive person goes on vacation for a week starting the day you told someone who you knew was literally starving and having utilities shut off to call them?!

Personally, I didn't like the manager at all. I always had this vibe and impression that he was the rude, disrespectful, pencil-pusher type.

Interview Questions
    • Build a toy with Legos within 5 minutes. Give it a name and a price then pitch the idea to us. Explain why we should want to sell your toy in our store.   Answer Question