Toys ''R'' Us

Average Difficulty
45 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied. Revived a call and scheduled the interviews a week later. First conducted a group interview with about 8 other people. Was asked to stay after other applicants left and performed an interview with store manager. They gave me a start date a few days after that and all the paper work was done on the first day.

Interview Question – Go through the store, pick two items, and give a presentation on what the highlights and benefits are of buying that item.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N.a.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – It was a group interview, questions weren't really organized, they were just trying to see how you interacted with your peers. I was then interviewed individually, asked me how I dealt with rude or unruly customers, hired on the spot.

Interview Question – What was the most difficult situation you've been placed in customer-wise?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in February 2014.

Interview Details – The process took about 2 weeks from start to finish. Started off with the application then I was called in for a face interview with the store manager. Took about a week to get an offer.

Interview Question – What was a time you had a disrupt customer and how did you handle it and the final outcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was a set hourly rate.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Monaca, PA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2010.

Interview Details – I walked into what looked like a break room that had four picnic tables in it. There were about six other people there for the interview. Then, the interviewer came in and started talking about the company and the pay scale. We were then instructed to go out into the store, pick an item, and bring it back to describe it to the other interviewees. We weren't told this, but we had to describe how the toys would go well together. After that, we were individually called into the boss's office and were offered the position. Everyone was hired.

Interview Question – "Tell me about yourself" has to be the most difficult question. Because as well as you know yourself, it can sometimes be hard to be your best under pressure.   Answer Question

Memphis, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2012.

Interview Details – Group interview it was fairly easy and different. I personally like this type of interview.

Interview Question – How would you sell this item?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me the job, and told me the starting pay

Very Easy Interview

Winston-Salem, NC

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – It was easy. They asked about former employment. They reiterated about background check.

Interview Question – There were none. No difficult questions, no unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in June 2010.

Interview Details – You will be in a group interview, You will have to sell a product to someone else in the room and then after everyone goes around and does that you will then be taken into a room and interviewed one on one with one of the managers and the HR

Very Easy Interview

Greenwood, IN

I applied online - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was called in for a group interview and we had to pick out a toy and pretend to sell the toy to the manager and then got into groups of two and interviewed each other and then went to do one on one interviews with the manager, there was only four people there and we all got hired and we are permanent people luckily and not just holiday workers!

Interview Question – What is the one thing we should know about you without going off of whats on your application?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Totowa, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2012.

Interview Details – Single handedly the most wacky, off the wall interview I've ever experienced and will ever experience that will leave you wondering if this company takes itself seriously or not.

Unlike most group interviews where it's you versus multiple managers, this time you and several other applicants are being tested and interviewed at the same time, in the same room.

You're asked very few questions for the most part are subjected to a series of game-like challenges involving everything from submitting a toy idea that you build with Lego blocks to agreeing on a toy with the entire group of applicants in order to do a make-believe 1 minute commercial on it that tests your teamwork and leadership skills with strangers and competitiveness.

I think what I found to be the most frustrating after the fact part about this experience is that the managers play along and do the challenges as well. The annoying part of this being that they know the best possible solutions to their own challenges which they like to show off with an air of obnoxious superiority to pat themselves on the back while dazzling you. For example, with the Lego block challenge, you're tasked with creating a toy design using Legos within a certain time limit and then pitching it, along with a suggested retail price, to the managers and other applicants who can then praise, ask questions about or criticize your idea.

After everyone has their turn, the manager goes and places a single block on the table saying his idea is the block itself, the keystone, as without that, nothing can be built and therefore he can demand any price he wants as anyone looking to build anything would have to go through him and be forced to pay him any price he asked for this priceless resource. The senior manager gloated at length about his simple genius and how one block trumps all of our designs combined and while it was ingenious, I found it to be a cheap and easy out.

Before such festivities though, the interview starts with each applicant tearing any number of sheets they desire (with a minimum of 1) from a roll of toilet paper. The applicant will then have to tell everyone in the room a number of facts about themself equal to the number of sheets they tore off. However, during my particular interview, others knew about this part thanks to a past applicant spoiling the secret and they all selected 1 except for me so it got changed to everyone had to tell a number of facts about themself equal to the highest amount torn by a single person, which was me with five sheets. The manager revealed had everyone selected 1, it would've been the combined total of them all which would've been 7 that day.

After the few basic questions and the wacky challenges (we only had time for two, the legos and fake commercial), we then watched a brief orientation video while being called out of the room one by one to be thanked, asked if we had any questions and then sent home.

I think the worst part about all of this was the manager knew I was unemployed at the time with my unemployment benefits completely exhausted. I told him how much getting this job meant to me and he said to call back the same time next week only for me to find out that he decided to go on vacation that day. What insensitive person goes on vacation for a week starting the day you told someone who you knew was literally starving and having utilities shut off to call them?!

Personally, I didn't like the manager at all. I always had this vibe and impression that he was the rude, disrespectful, pencil-pusher type.

Interview Question – Build a toy with Legos within 5 minutes. Give it a name and a price then pitch the idea to us. Explain why we should want to sell your toy in our store.   Answer Question

Tukwila, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, and they call you in, they do group interviews. We all introduced ourselves gave a bit of background info. The interviewers were really friendly. They didn't ask us to sell anything or play with toys, they asked basic questions like where do you want to be in five years, name a time when you worked in a hectic chaniging environment, give a time when you dealt with conflict. Even if you don't have any experience just be friendly, smile be polite and look interested. My interviewer was a laidback type person. After the interview they said they'd call us in a few hours with a decision and did a background check. The whole process took only a week.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to think out of the box to fix a problem or come up with a solution to the problem.   Answer Question

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!