Toys ''R'' Us

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Recruited by Regional leadership and then made an account with RUS corporate along with applying online so they could get it officially in the system. Then called in to speak with DM and after a work got a call that I got the job. Started during holiday season.

Negotiation Details – Brief

Department Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Make sure you are outgoing and have all your questions and answers figured out ahead of time. Have examples of past experiences with customers at any previous jobs and most of all have fun!

Interview Question – If you had an under-performing team member, how would you assess the situation?   Answer Question

Columbia, MD

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called within the week. There was a group interview, with 6 other candidates. We had to turn to the person next to us and "interview" them. After about ten minutes we had to say why we would or would not hire the stranger sitting next to us. We were also given a box of legos to build the "next big" toy of the holiday season, and explain what it was and why it would be so awesome. Then we had to go out into the store and pick a toy off the shelves and come back with it and do a commercial for it.

Interview Question – After the experience of the awkward group interviews, the one one one interview was pretty routine questions.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Cherry Hill, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in January 2009.

Interview Details – Applied on line. Initial interview was very good. 2 nd interview a bit strange because it was not done in private, but out on the selling floor at Babies R Us. It was a simple process. They seemed to talk more about the store than actually asking me questions. I am not sure what the point of that was. I brought up the things that were on my resume because I wanted them known!

Interview Question – Nothing ou of the ordinary   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiated my starting rate. Pointed out my experiences and years in retail.

Lake Grove, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online. Within a week or so, I was called by the human resources woman and was told when to come in for a group interview. I arrived for the interview and was in a group of 6 people being interviewed that day. Conducting the interview was the human resources woman, one of the store managers, and a department supervisor. The interview was very general, asking us why we wanted to work there, what would be the best quality that we could bring to the store. We were also asked to pick a random item that we had brought with us, keys, wallet, etc., and sell it to them. After they had asked their questions, they went into the other room and called each of us out one by one, until there were two of us left sitting there. They then came back into the room and told us that we were the two that they wanted to hire.

Interview Question – There weren't any really difficult questions or even unexpected ones. It was a pretty generic, basic interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Greenville, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was called by an assistant manager to set up an interview with the store manager. I found that the interview itself was pretty simple. I didn't have any extra tests or role play exercises, he just asked me about my previous experiences and what the job would entail. He told me that he is only the temporary store manager because the actual store manager and assistant manager are on disciplinary leave.
The second interview was with both the store manager and district manager. I had to wait 15 minutes for one of them to come out to greet me and begin the interview. Otherwise, the interview was still pretty easy, just some basic questions about why I think I would be the best for the job and what about my experience qualifies me.

Interview Question – What are some training methods you implemented on your team?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined because the store management team seemed very fractured and unstable. I also declined the offer because it was extremely low. They knew what I expected and offered $3.00 an hour less than I'm currently making. Considering the state of the store and the amount of changes I would need to make to my department to bring it back up to standards, the offer was exceptionally low.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2010.

Interview Details – Similar story to previous posts: Phone call to set up interview, "interview" consisted of 8 people doing a practice sales pitch, a teamwork exercise, and a panel 1 on 1 (or 3 on 1) interview. The mangers interviewing were very nice & polite; the atmosphere was very casual. Ended on a good note. Follow up interview two days later with district manager, also very friendly & casual interview. Should hear something by Monday.

Interview Questions

Department Supervisor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in December 2008.

Interview Details – A recruiter called me. I met with the DM at a different store, then met with the store manager in the store I would be working. Overall very laid back and easy. It seemed like they were in a bind to fill the position and I had more than enough of the qualifications and a great referral.

Interview Question – What would your last employer say you lacked of?   Answer Question

Springfield, PA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2009.

Interview Details – I applied online mid August, got a call back about one month later and schedules an interview for a few days later. Got there to find out it was a group interview which I don't like, also they failed to mention the job was seasonal even though I said I wanted full-time permanent on the application, although everyone else seemed aware of this fact but me. Walked out of the interview, I already had a job anyway and I cant feed a family with low paying seasonal work for the "toy store" down the road

Interview Question – Try to sell this toy to me   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didnt want seasonal work, they should have made this clear on the website that that was what they were hiring for, I wouldn't even have wasted my time.

Department Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2010.

Interview Details – applied on line, went to the interview with 7 other people in the room. Was asked to interview each other, then report to the hiring manager why we would hire the person next to us. Had to built the next "it" toy out of legos. Had to go out into the store and pick a toy to sell to the store manager.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer and how you handled it   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – the offer was firm, no negotiating

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!