Toys ''R'' Us Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014
Updated Sep 25, 2014

2.3

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

There was a round-table interview process with several other Department Supervisors from the district. There were store managers, the DM, and the HRDM sitting in the room taking notes and observing our behavior. They asked us questions and generally gave feedback on the spot. Afterwards we each had two individual interviews. I interviewed with two store managers for the first interview. My second individual interview was with the DM and another store manager.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about what the company values were and where I thought I fell on that spectrum. Why did I feel that I met that particular company value.   Answer Question
    There was not a negotiation for this position.

Sales Associate Interview

Make sure you come dressed to impress and be confident. They will ask you to pick out a toy from the sales floor and ask you to talk about the toy and sell it to them as if they were the customer.

Sales Team Member Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2014.

Applied online and was called the next day for an interview. When I went to the store for the interview, a cashier told everyone to walk around and pick out a toy while we wait. When I got to the interview room, we wrote our names on name tags and had to stand up and introduce ourselves with an adjective that matches the first letter of your first name. Then, we were asked to interview the person across from you as to why the company should hire them and stand up and present the info. After, we had to sell our chosen toy to the group as if you were talking to a customer. Then you had to build something out of Legos in groups and have someone stand and explain it. Finally, they called everyone back for one on one questioning. The questions were very simple and short.

Interview Questions
    • I guess the most difficult question they repeatedly asked was if you had any questions for them   Answer Question
    We did not discuss our wages

Assistant Traffic Manager, Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wayne, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Was contacted by a Toys-R-Us recruiter via email and applied online. After a couple of days, had a phone interview with HR, followed by in-person interview with 4 managers/hiring manager.

Very large and beautiful campus in Wayne, NJ, however not near public transportation. HR manager was very organized and gave out a company packet outlining the company and benefits.

Management should remain "Professional" during the interview process and HR should keep potential candidates abreast of their "status" if no longer interested.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have kids? (I thought that was illegal to ask)   View Answer

Over Night Stock Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fayetteville, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, GA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2014.

Process took about one week an employee from the store called and asked if I could come in the next day for a night interview I showed up to find out it was a group interview we all got a name tag and introduced our self then we had to go in the store for like 5 min and pick a toy and go back and sell it to the HR Managers as if they were the customers then after that we broke up into groups to build amusement parks out of legos after that we were called in for 1:1 interviews and was told they will call us back when background check came back and that took like 3 days to hear from them

N/A

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Riverside, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2014.

I submitted an online application and received a call two days later asking me to come in for the group interview. The interview was casual (I wore a dress & flats, one guy wore a t shirt & jeans but that isn't the best idea), I arrived 20 minutes early so they had me go walk around the store. After that I returned to the area I initially checked in and HR took my group back - we had 10 people total.

Once everyone had sat down the manager & the HR rep asked us to say our names, a little about ourselves, and our favorite childhood toy. Our first task was to get in a group and build a toy out of blocks, we then had to come up with a name, price, and one person in the group presented it. We then were instructed to go to a shopping cart and pick out a toy, then we had to sell that toy to the person next to us (be sure to include the age range, whether or not it needs batteries, and mention something about their rewards program if you can). After that they had us read the birthday script, where they announce over the intercom that one of the kids in the store is celebrating their birthday. Finally they went around and asked each person one specific question, the question I was asked was "What does good work ethic mean to you?", which was fairly easy to answer.

The HR rep & manager then stepped out to discuss everyone and they called us each out one by one to ask any leftover questions they had, then we were told we would receive a call/email within the next hour to let us know. I was the last person to be called and I was offered the job on the spot, overall it was a fun interview. If you can just maintain an upbeat attitude and demonstrate good teamwork skills, you'll get the job - I am fairly shy and had no experience.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation needed - we will be paid minimum wage and that is completely fine with me.

Department Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rockaway, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockaway, NJ

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2014.

Had one face to face interview with the store manager. Very formal. Questions were read straight from a packet with little room for conversation. I liked the method because it gave me a chance to clearly list my skills and capabilities. I received an offer for the job a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Name a challenging situation you had with a guest and how you resolved it.   View Answer
    Requested what I felt was fair and received it.

Sales Associate - Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Elk Grove, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elk Grove, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2014.

I applied online, about a week later a member of the HR department called. I was asked 3 canned questions that followed TRU's “R” Commitments - I recommend you review the corporate site. After answering these questions an interview was set up for the following week.

On the day of the interview I arrived early and took the opportunity to walk around the store and watch the interactions of the staff. I introduced myself to a front end person and was directed to the employee break room. One by one other candidates arrived. The group interview was scheduled to begin at 11, at 11:01 the HR Person entered the room and broke the ice with some antidotes and explained a little about the position. The HRP carried 10 packets, each packet contained a hard copy of our applications. We were asked us to stand and introduce ourselves as our names were called. We were about to begin a group exercise when a final candidate arrived, the HRP glanced at the clock and mentioned again the responsibilities of the position and stressed how critical arriving on time is to the position (I strongly recommend that if you can't be early or on time at least call).

We were told to make a sales presentation using an object that we carried on our person...a pen, a purse, eye glasses and keys were used. We were then asked to do an impression of our favorite movie/cartoon character. Two of the candidates were very unprepared and stumbled terribly during these exercises. We were told to relax and wait to be called individually into a small adjacent office for one on one interviews with the HRP. The first two to be interviewed were the two unprepared candidates...Coincidence?? Maybe.

As we waited to be called into the back office, a manager came in pretending to be on a break. He watched a video on his phone and casually joined in on the conversations. Although he answered direct questions about the store and the position, I left with too much information about past professors who just didn't understand him, his superior intellect, incredible GPA and how all that related to his dislike of the alumni association. If he was truly on a break then we gained a little incite to the job. If he was part of the interview process I'm very disappointed.

The one on one with the HR person was very casual and informal. Standard interview questions were followed by specifics about my application and job history. Availability was confirmed and I was asked if I had any issues with drug or background tests, nothing unexpected. The interview concluded with a commitment from the HRP to call with a yes or no decision within 3 or 4 days. The interview was yesterday, I'm standing by for that phone call.

It was a very pleasant experience. One of the best, most enjoyable interviews i can remember.

Interview Questions
    • Thanks to glassdoor, nothing was unexpected. TRU follows a cookie cutter interview process.   Answer Question

Sales Team Member Interview

applied sunday,HR called monday and interview was thursday. Group interview was easy, made a product out of legos, name a company etc. we also said a trait with the first letter of our name. next was a one on one interview

Maintenance/Housekeeping Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

The entire process took about 4 to 5 days. I completed an application online and that very same day I received a phone call. I was told that they would be interviewing people the very next day and I was asked would I be able to make it. The interview was a one on one interview with 2 managers. There were 2 other candidates there and I was interviewed last.The environment was very calm and I felt pretty comfortable. The questions they asked were pretty typical. They asked, How does my past experience relate to the position I am applying for? Why am I interested in working for Toys 'R' Us?

Interview Questions
    • How does your past experience relate to the position you are applying for?   Answer Question

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!