Toys ''R'' Us Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 23, 2014
481 interviews

2.3

Department Supervisor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2012.

One group interview. We grabbed a toy and had to sell that toy to the three managers in the room. We got to know each other and one by one we got up to represent our toy.

Interview Questions
    They said this is what your going to make and that was it.

Maintenance/Housekeeping Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

The entire process took about 4 to 5 days. I completed an application online and that very same day I received a phone call. I was told that they would be interviewing people the very next day and I was asked would I be able to make it. The interview was a one on one interview with 2 managers. There were 2 other candidates there and I was interviewed last.The environment was very calm and I felt pretty comfortable. The questions they asked were pretty typical. They asked, How does my past experience relate to the position I am applying for? Why am I interested in working for Toys 'R' Us?

Interview Questions
    • How does your past experience relate to the position you are applying for?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in June 2013.

The interview process was quite relaxing and comforting for a group interview. After getting to know a little bit about everyone we split up into smaller groups and were given a box full of legos and were asked to create a toy and try our best to brand and sell it. Afterwards they just chose who they feel are the better candidates for toys r us.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2014.

I applied online on either Sunday or Monday. Got a call from the HR lady on Tuesday. Interview was Thursday. This was for the Times Square location.

There were 8 people there including myself. First we made name tags using an adjective that describes you. The adjective had to start with the same letter as your first name. So I suggest you go in knowing an adjective that you're going to use. We briefly introduced ourselves and explained why we picked that adjective.

After that, we were broken into 3 groups, and had to build a toy out of Legos. We also had to make up a company name, slogan, jingle, the name of the product, the age range, and a special feature. And I'm forgetting something else. We had twenty minutes to do all of this. Make sure that you are actively participating in the group, and that everyone gets a turn to present. It was a very relaxed and laid back environment. I am usually not the most talkative person in social situations, and if I was relaxed, you will be too.

Once everyone had presented, they had us pick an item that you brought with you, (could be anything - I picked Chapstick) and you had to try and sell it to them.

Out of eight people, seven got a 1:1 interview. One guy wore saggy jeans and a t-shirt and still got an interview. (I still don't recommend doing this.) I was first up, so I didn't have a lot of time to get super worked up and nervous. I think I did a lot worse on this part of the interview.

First an HR rep asked me some questions! briefly went outside, and then walked in another woman! head of a specific department. They said they thought I would be briefly suited for that position instead. The interview included questions like "tell me about yourself," "what would you do if this happened," "how long do you want to work here." I stumbled on some words, but I think I did a pretty good job answering their questions. She also gave me a job description and asked about my availability. The only part I didn't like was when the second woman asked me how old I am. I'm 17, but will be 18 in a week. She said, and I quote, "I wouldn't put you past two." Yes, I know I look young, but I definitely do not look two. 13, yeah. I thought that was a little rude of her. Anyway, she walked out and the first HR woman came in a minute afterwards. She told me that they will have to wait until I turn 18, then they can run a background check, and will call me once they do. I was offered the job.

Overall, the interview was very relaxed and informal. I wore black pants and a grey blouse.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation took place. They pay $8.50 and hour and I'm fine with that.

Off Hours Stock Crew Interview

Applied online and received an email stating they did not have a position for me later that week. 5 days later a hiring assistant phoned me and I regrettably missed the call. I promptly called back four minutes later when I realized the missed call. It took half an hour for somebody to answer their phone. I even hung up and double checked the voicemail to confirm I was to be calling the main store number. After waiting the lady had apparently already left for the day so I was asked for my number for HR to phone me in the morning or told to call. I called them back in the morning and after waiting was asked basic questions like would I accept min. wage. I agreed and she asked me to come in that day for the interview. We did the fun megablok group building exercise then the backroom manager talked to us about what the job required. This is when my interview process ended because despite submitting my availability on my application they needed open hours that I could not meet. Two other people in the group of four, in fact, were students like myself and did not have a schedule that met their needs. We were dismissed and the fourth stayed for a one on one.

Interview Questions
    • No questions because it was not until I was there they acknowledge my availability.   Answer Question

Cashier/Sales Team Member Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Very different-played a ice breaker name game & then had to sell the group a toy. Then had to wait a long time while they do one on one interviews

Seasonal Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Its a group interview so theres like 10 other people in a small little room with you and you go around introducing each other then you have to sell toys to the person sitting next to you and then you have to get into a group and you have to build something out of knex. For that part make sure you are communicating and helping out because thats what they are looking for. AND another HUGE thing they look for is smiles.

Planogramer Interview

Their are three interviews, the first two can be on the phone or face to face. the last interview is face to face. On the third interview yoyo get a tour of the facility and you meet the people in the said department that you might be hired for. After the tour and a free lunch, you meet your managers/supervisors that you will be working for they do the third interview. If you are hired they will inform you in a couple of weeks, after that it takes a coupe of more weeks to send you a letter of employment. That letter will have your start date, that date will be discussed in the phone call that you get if you are hired. You start usually in the beginning of the quarter.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Toys R Us.   View Answer
    We negotiated salary and start date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Pretty straight forward questions. They pretty much hire any and everybody. Which can be a good or bad thing. You have to deal with the stupidity or incompetence of your peers.

Nothing

Cashier/Sales Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2014.

I applied online, and was sure I didn't do so great on the personality test portion of the application. I've never worked retail before, so I found it challenging, sometimes multiple answers seemed okay, but if you've had experience in retail I would assume that part is no problem. It took about a month and a half to get a callback, but they had been interviewing all summer so I was probably close to the bottom of their list. I got called to come in for a group interview, there ended up being 7 of us there. Based on the other reviews on here, I was prepared to choose a toy and sell it and had ideas for the lego thing. Turns out, my interview must have been an unusual one. We all played "2 truths and 1 lie" to introduce ourselves. Then the manager came in and was very clear about the position, what it's like working there etc. We were told pushing the rewards program, credit cards and buyer protection plan were very important. Then they dismissed us outside and did the 1 on 1 portion. Since it's so close to college starting back up they had me fill out an availability schedule. Asked me what my major was, and if I'd be interested in also being the HR Assistant since I've had office experience. It was the most laid back interview I've had, I think they were just desperate for more regular employees. Oh PS, working on Black Friday is a MUST, at least for this store. 12 hour shifts. However since I am from out of state, they are willing to let me work the closing shift on Black Friday so I could have Thanksgiving with my family, which was nice.

Interview Questions
    • I was literally only asked about my major and availability. Again, most likely a very atypical experience from what I've read on here.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, told the wage was $7.75 which is actually above minimum wage for KY so that's fine.

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!