Toys ''R'' Us

468 candidate interviews

Night Stockman Interview

Night Stockman
Rockville, MD

The process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2010.

Interview Details – Had to pick out a toy from the store I'd want to buy. Then in the group interview we had to each impersonate a cartoon character and the other interviewees had to guess who we were. Then the interviewers left the room and we paired up and had to get to know another interviewee. When the interviewers returned we had to "sell" the other interviewee to the interviewers and say what experience they had and why they should be hired. However, there was a twist, we had to "sell" the other person pretending we were Billy Mays. Next, we had to "sell" ourselves and say why we were better than any other person in the room and why we should be hired over everyone else. I was the only caucasion person in the room and felt very uncomfortable explaining why I was better than everyone else in the room. Lastly, we had to swap toys and read the box and "sell" the toy to the group. This was the strangest and most uncomfortable interview I've ever been on. I am very quiet and reserved. I just want a quiet night job where I can stock shelves. Why do I need to talk like Billy Mays?

Interview Questions

• Explain how you are better than everyone else here and why we should hire you over them.   View Answer
  • "Sell" your co-interviewee to us in your best Billy Mays impression and explain what skills he has and why we should hire him.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate
Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2010.

Interview Details – They had people pickup a toy from a shelf to describe it. You had to pick a word that describe you. It's childish that they have people build lego blocks of a product. They said they had jobs. At the end of the interview they had no jobs. It was a waste of time and gas. With the economy being this bad. I would do healthcare career and go back to college to avoid cheap seasonal retail jobs that pay poorly

Overnight Stock Interview

Overnight Stock
Ventura, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2011.

Interview Details – you basically interview your partner, present each other in front of the class, and take a product you have on you, and try to sell it to the class / show and tell. Honestly, no one from the school did anything except take roll and supervise the children. Had i known this, i would have stayed home and not wasted my time

(Yeah, i know i'm describing a school / classroom setting because honestly; that's how it really felt)

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by the head of Toys R Us Quebec, so I knew right off the bat that it was going to be tough. I could tell that he grew disinterested in me, and we'd only been speaking for roughly 90 seconds. He continued to converse with me, but he was just killing time and waiting for me to stop talking. It was rather nerve wracking and frustrating. He ended the interview saying that if he needs me, he will call me. Which basically meant that I had failed the interview (They were hiring on the spot).

Interview Question – I understand why you want to work for us, but tell me WHY should I hire YOU?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Totowa, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2012.

Interview Details – Single handedly the most wacky, off the wall interview I've ever experienced and will ever experience that will leave you wondering if this company takes itself seriously or not.

Unlike most group interviews where it's you versus multiple managers, this time you and several other applicants are being tested and interviewed at the same time, in the same room.

You're asked very few questions for the most part are subjected to a series of game-like challenges involving everything from submitting a toy idea that you build with Lego blocks to agreeing on a toy with the entire group of applicants in order to do a make-believe 1 minute commercial on it that tests your teamwork and leadership skills with strangers and competitiveness.

I think what I found to be the most frustrating after the fact part about this experience is that the managers play along and do the challenges as well. The annoying part of this being that they know the best possible solutions to their own challenges which they like to show off with an air of obnoxious superiority to pat themselves on the back while dazzling you. For example, with the Lego block challenge, you're tasked with creating a toy design using Legos within a certain time limit and then pitching it, along with a suggested retail price, to the managers and other applicants who can then praise, ask questions about or criticize your idea.

After everyone has their turn, the manager goes and places a single block on the table saying his idea is the block itself, the keystone, as without that, nothing can be built and therefore he can demand any price he wants as anyone looking to build anything would have to go through him and be forced to pay him any price he asked for this priceless resource. The senior manager gloated at length about his simple genius and how one block trumps all of our designs combined and while it was ingenious, I found it to be a cheap and easy out.

Before such festivities though, the interview starts with each applicant tearing any number of sheets they desire (with a minimum of 1) from a roll of toilet paper. The applicant will then have to tell everyone in the room a number of facts about themself equal to the number of sheets they tore off. However, during my particular interview, others knew about this part thanks to a past applicant spoiling the secret and they all selected 1 except for me so it got changed to everyone had to tell a number of facts about themself equal to the highest amount torn by a single person, which was me with five sheets. The manager revealed had everyone selected 1, it would've been the combined total of them all which would've been 7 that day.

After the few basic questions and the wacky challenges (we only had time for two, the legos and fake commercial), we then watched a brief orientation video while being called out of the room one by one to be thanked, asked if we had any questions and then sent home.

I think the worst part about all of this was the manager knew I was unemployed at the time with my unemployment benefits completely exhausted. I told him how much getting this job meant to me and he said to call back the same time next week only for me to find out that he decided to go on vacation that day. What insensitive person goes on vacation for a week starting the day you told someone who you knew was literally starving and having utilities shut off to call them?!

Personally, I didn't like the manager at all. I always had this vibe and impression that he was the rude, disrespectful, pencil-pusher type.

Interview Question – Build a toy with Legos within 5 minutes. Give it a name and a price then pitch the idea to us. Explain why we should want to sell your toy in our store.   Answer Question

Department Supervisor Interview

Department Supervisor
Columbia, MD

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called within the week. There was a group interview, with 6 other candidates. We had to turn to the person next to us and "interview" them. After about ten minutes we had to say why we would or would not hire the stranger sitting next to us. We were also given a box of legos to build the "next big" toy of the holiday season, and explain what it was and why it would be so awesome. Then we had to go out into the store and pick a toy off the shelves and come back with it and do a commercial for it.

Interview Question – After the experience of the awkward group interviews, the one one one interview was pretty routine questions.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Management Trainee
San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in April 2009.

Interview Details – Process was Swift and informative. Good idea from the start what the job required, the training process, commitment level, etc

Interview Question – What's your favorite toy?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Orland Park, IL

Interview Details – i was applying for seasonal acouple years back, and this interview was pretty intense! wasnt expecting it at all because i was still in highschool at the time and it was only seasonal. walked in for a group interview with acouple other people. We did a group activity where we had to build a house out of legos, and this was more on leadership skills. and how well you work with others. then you go out and grab a toy from the store that reminded you of your childhood. we then walked back into the interview room and was asked to switch toys with the person next to you !! we were than asked how we would sell it , who you think would buy it, etc. infront of the group After that, we got called back in and had 1-1 interviews in the office . there was 3 managers in there when i had my interview. the interview was pretty intenseeeee, but i handled it really well. they shot out a ton of questions for me like "we can see that your schedule is limited to no closing, why should we hire you then someone who can close?" "what did you learn at your job that can be an asset here?" also, they had me sell a can of soup to them that was randomly sitting at the managers desk. (they were probably just messing with me) but overall, the 2 guy managers that were interviewing me turned out to be extremely funny and nice and they turned out to be people i really enjoyed working with when i was offered the job. Just STAYYYYY CALM. smile and prepare yourself as much as possible.

Interview Question – 90% of them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none, $8.25 because it was seasonal.

Store Management Trainee Interview

Store Management Trainee
Smyrna, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in December 2012.

Interview Details – My process began on my University campus, I met with them during a job fair and was given an interview the next day. After that interview I received a email requesting a "Round Robin" interview. I arrived there and it was 6 other, we were there from 9 am to 1 pm. The Interview consisted of all 6 of us taking turns being interview by 4 people in all, two at a time. During the times we were not being interviewed, we were in the break room talking to two other Toys R US employees... whom I'm sure had a say so in the hiring process as well. We were given lunch, and that was it.

Interview Question – We were asked normal interview questions; such as, Name a time when you had to work in a face paced environment. I think the most difficult question was "Do you have any question for us?" After being in the break room for hours I was able to ask plenty of questions, so by the time I got to the person who actually interviewed me, I couldn't think of anything!!   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager
Langhorne, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Met with DM in Montgomery Store. The interview lasted 1 hour 45 min.
We talked about all my prior experience and he was very impressed with me owning my
own successful business.

Interview Question – Why should I hire you ?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – 48,000, have a number in mind that you will not go below.

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!