Toys ''R'' Us

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

first 5 of us was waiting then the hr manager called us in. It was some toys on the table and she gave us partners to try to sell the product she gave us. then we went into the store and got our own product to sell. then we had to get information about your partner then try to pitch them to her.

Interview Questions
    • give them a word that describes you from the first letter of your first name   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

Interview had a very positive feel--it was a group interview, but team-oriented and light, not competitive at all.

Interview Questions
    • One activity was to create an acceptance speech for the "Best Toy Award."   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Selma, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Selma, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2011.

Well I applied online and a few days later received a call from the HR. She then proceeded to ask me a few simple questions and we then set up an interview date. It was group interview , pretty easy process.

No negotiations

Sales Associate Interview

Initially, there was a group interview wherein we were asked how we would respond to several scenarios, including how to deal with a difficult customer and recommending additional products to purchase. We were also given the basic description of our jobs and the job requirements. Following that, we had an individual interview where they went over our responses to the group interview and our resumes. I received a call within 48 hours about starting work the following week.

Interview Questions
    • We were asked to 'sell' a specific product; I believe in our case it was a Lego set. We weren't given parameters, however the responses given suggested that they placed an emphasis on personability and quick-wittedness.   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

I left before the interview. The people waiting for an interview with me were missing teeth, didn't know how to dress for an interview, etc. The person conducting the interviews looked and spoke SO unprofessionally.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected view of the God-awful nastiness where they had us wait to be interviewed!!   Answer Question

Read any of the above statements.

Associate Design Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

I submitted an online application that included my designed resumé. I was contacted and asked to send my portfolio. I sent my portfolio as a multi-page PDF which include a variety of design projects I have done over my 25+ years of work in this field.

Late on a Friday afternoon, via email, I was told that the next phase would be a design test (really, are we in school here?). I was to download a file containing images, fonts, copy, and some guidelines. I was told to design a catalog cover and send it back on Monday.

I might have proceeded with the "test" if it was to check my technical skills, but they said upfront that it was not going to be judged on that, simply on my design "fit". Well, that is what my extensive portfolio is for. I was also very taken aback that they expected me to drop any weekend plans to do their assignment on such short notice. Even a freelance account would give more courtesy.

After I looked over the material, I decided that the process had gone too far towards "work for free" for my liking and I withdrew my application.

Cashier/Sales Interview

I applied online then received a mini phone interview a few days later, after going through that they decided to call me in for a group interview. It was pretty basic, most of the group was around my age but there were a few older people as well. We had to hunt the store for a toy to present in front of everyone and sell, we were given a piece of paper and pen to kind of plan out our sales pitch and do it. After everyone went, we had to go and return our toys, but when we came back the interviewer was setting out more toys for us, so we had to sell toys again but not ones we picked. Same process. After that they pulled us in for one on one interviews. Very straight forward questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was a past experience when working with a difficult customer and how was the outcome?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Group interview. Legos. Not fun.

None.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Janesville, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Janesville, WI

It was a group interview with 3 other candidates in front of a panel of 4 store managers. They sat us down and had us build a castle out of legos to see how well you can work in teams. Then they asked the typical interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary.

Sales Associate Interview

I was trying to apply for a job with them. I called multiple times because they said I could get an interview. However, they never really got back to me. This would have just been a summer position after college. So overall, just make sure to be proactive.