Toys ''R'' Us

466 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Electronics Associate Interview

Electronics Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – First phase: Applying online. Get a call back from the human resources associate in the store at which you applied. Schedule an interview, business casual clothing.

Second phase: Interview is a group interview. Undergo a sales test where you take an item off the shelf and sell it to the interviewer, a human resources representative. Also sell a random item of the interviewers choosing. Then you take a tour of the store. Schedule the next interview.

Third phase: Interview with store manager. Asks about experience, work ethic, lifestyle, etc. Specifics depend on who the store manager is. Schedule training if the job offer is accepted.

Interview Question – The impromptu sales test was unexpected, and difficult if you don't have sales experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiate nothing, it was a minimum wage position.

Sales Team Member Interview

Sales Team Member

I applied online - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online through Toys R Us. Then I got a call about a week and a half later saying that I should come in for a group interview. I went in and it was only myself and another female. In the break room is where the interview took place. It was the 2 of us appliers and then the store manager and HR guy. We introduced ourself and said our favorite toy. The first activity was we had to sell the managers on why the OTHER person deserved to be hired. Next we were asked to go out into the store and pick a toy to sell to them. After that the manager just told us more about the company and the roles we would have to do. We weren't taken aside individually, they just told us on the spot they liked us and we were hired. Dress code and orientation instructions followed and then we could leave. It was honestly fun and chill. I stressed out about it for no reason, it was great.

Interview Question – Be prepared to try and sell something!   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed with five people, two phone calls and three different locations in three cities within five days of applying online. This includes two HR, two DM, and the VP. Behavioral and situational questions will be asked by all five people. After the last interview, all five will compare notes for consistency.

Negotiation Details – I gave them a $5,000 range from looking at Glass door salaries. They gave me what I asked for. I believe I could I gotten more.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Department Supervisor Interview

Department Supervisor
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Recruited by Regional leadership and then made an account with RUS corporate along with applying online so they could get it officially in the system. Then called in to speak with DM and after a work got a call that I got the job. Started during holiday season.

Negotiation Details – Brief

Associate Interview

Associate

Interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us

Interview Details – group interview with about 12 people, lasted about 4 hours i wore a suit, i was way over dressed, some one else wore a white t shirt, but i was hired so what can i say

Interview Question – make a pyramid out of cups using only rubber bands   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

Team Member

Interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us

Interview Details – Process took several weeks. Spoke with the Store Manager and was encouraged to apply. Online application includes a personality assessment to weed out the riff-raff. Called the hiring manager every now and then to check on the status of application. Was eventually invited to a group interview event, which was pretty entertaining. Activities include picking a toy of your choice to pitch to your fellow interviewees, building a small toy out of Lego blocks and selling it to the group, and interviewing each other with general questions. Each person was taken one-by-one for a private interview with the hiring manager and a second manager-on-duty. Basic interview questions were asked, along with a few personal questions. Fairly easy and laid-back.

Two days later was called and offered a job. After the background check cleared (another week later), was called in for orientation.

Interview Question – Not so much a question, but rather the task of taking an unfamiliar toy, studying it for a few minutes, and then trying to sell it to the entire interview group.   View Answer

Back of House Team Member/Off-hours Stock Crew Interview

Back of House Team Member/Off-hours Stock Crew
Olympia, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called for an interview a couple days later. I was told ahead of time it would be a group interview which made me nervous. About 10 of us lined up in front of the registers to wait for whoever was taking us for the interview (Human Resource manager) and then we all filed into the break room and sat around the table. We were followed by the store manager and a Human Resources assistant and all three of them sat on chairs outside of the table of candidates. It was a little intimidating at first but it ended up being pretty relaxed. Our first task was to pair up and get to know our partners. We then introduced our partners to the room. Then we broke off into groups of 3 and made our own "monsters" out of pipe cleaners and various Mr. Potato Head parts. We had to give them names, super powers/abilities, and prices and explain all of this to the room. After that was all over, they gave us some information about their rewards program, credit card program, and buyer protection plans. That segued into having us sell them toys. Each of us picked a toy and then one by one went around the table trying to sell it (which was actually really fun considering you don't have to know anything about the toys besides what's on the box). At this point, the interviewers were circling around so that they could see us without us having to turn around to face them, which I personally found endearing. After selling them our toys, they left the room to deliberate. When they came back they called out 4 names and told everyone else that their interview process stopped there. Then they called each of us back one at a time for a panel interview. They came off as attentive and sympathetic and eager to work with me. On my drive home, I got a phone call with a job offer.

Interview Question – If you had to choose one word to describe yourself, what would it be?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Other than management positions, they pay minimum wage starting out.

Very Easy Interview

Seasonal Worker Interview

Seasonal Worker
Citrus Heights, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was with the store manager and assistant manager. Because of my extensive experience the interview was very comfortable and they seemed like there were many opportunities for me in the company.

Negotiation Details – Flat salary rate for seasonal employees

Very Easy Interview

Overnight Stock Interview

Overnight Stock

Interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us

Interview Details – Went in for my first interview, it was a group interview with two female employees (I'll give them fake names - Mary & Kate). They asked us 'basic hiring questions'; why would you like to join the Toys R Us Family? How Long have you been in the retail field?, share a story when you went above and beyond, etc...

After the group interview both employees Mary & Kate then had all of us wait outside of their "training/interview" room, and called us in one-by-one for the 1 on 1 interview.

Mary stayed in the original room we started in and Kate went into the next room. They called us randomly, I was the third one called into Mary's room and the person before me was rolling her eyes as she walked out. Mary did my one-on-one interview & could care less about doing so (kept losing track of what questions she already asked me & kept playing on her phone).

In the mean time, Kate obviously wasn't prepared and came in our room several times basically asking Mary what to do next, either she was missing something or didn't know what to do next...... (smh terrible)

Final task at the end of my interview, Mary gave me a paper clip and told me to "sell it" to her. Before I could even begin Kate once again bursts in the room, this time already talking to Mary and interrupted my "selling of the paper clip". Kate this time had a whole bunch of questions for Mary and was there at least 3 minuets.... the whole time Mary wasnt even making eye contact with Kate because she was texting or doing something on her cellphone. Finally Kate finished and left the room, I waited for Mary to finish up whatever she was doing on her cell phone and she did. She put the phone down, looked up at me and said, "Ok, are you finished?"... I told her, "Yes" and walked out.

Interview Question – All questions were expected, but the employees* that asked the questions were unexpected.   Answer Question

Human Resources Department Supervisor Interview

Human Resources Department Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Three part interview process. the first interview was a phone interview, it took about 25 min. I was offered three management positions! Human Resources Department Supervisor appealed to me so I went for it. Next was a face to face interview with the store manager where he explained in detail the role of a Human Resources Department Supervisor and asked questions about my leadership skills, the next interview was with two key holding managers and a offer was made.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.
What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses?
Why do you want this job?
Where would you like to be in your career five years from now?
What's your ideal company?
What attracted you to this company?
Why should we hire you?
What did you like least about your last job?
When were you most satisfied in your job?
What can you do for us that other candidates can't?
What were the responsibilities of your last position?
Why are you leaving your present job?
What do you know about this industry?
What do you know about our company?
Are you willing to relocate?
Do you have any questions for me?
  Answer Question