Toys ''R'' Us Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clive, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clive, IA

I applied online – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2014.

I applied online for this job and got a call a week later to come in for an interview. It was a group interview and we all had a few minutes to look at the toys in the store to pick out our favorite. The guy asked us our experience, where we wanted to work, and what we would bring to the store. Don't sit on the edge of the table because there's a good chance they'll start all the questions with you like they did with me and you then have to think on the spot. We then waited in the break room while the guy interviewed us all one on one. If you're one of the last few to go, that's a good thing. I was the last and he just gave me specific situations to respond to and told me my payrate and what would happen next since I was hired, which was a background check. I haven't yet started because my background check took a month because of social security number problems and I already started working at my local movie theatre and I still need to quit this job.

Interview Questions
    • Making up interview questions for the partner you have during it. You then have to read them out loud and basically sell your partner to the manager.   View Answer
    Negotiation was during one on one interview, have yet to either accept/decline job itself. Pay rate was $8.15/per hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Pretty straight forward questions. They pretty much hire any and everybody. Which can be a good or bad thing. You have to deal with the stupidity or incompetence of your peers.

Nothing

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Consisted of a phone interview, and a single face to face with district manager. Very Pand L related. A lot of situational questions and scenarios. No store tour, taken right to office for 1 on 1 interview.

Interview Questions
    • Talked a lot about quality of life, but questions led back to benefits for the company, rather than the individual.   Answer Question
    Met my salary requirements without question.

Sales Team Member Interview

There was one other person who was also applying there. We first had to build a Lego structure and then we had to name. Then we had to pick a toy and market it. Then, we each had a 1 on 1 interview and that was the conclusion of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Who is the most demanding person you know and how do you meet their needs?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buckhead, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buckhead, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2014.

took a bit long
    various activities
    sale a item via commercial
    sale an item to the manager
    introduce another interviewee
    introduce yourself
    spend time on the floor
    mingle with other employees
    overall a good interview
    was a group interview
    group of 5

Interview Questions
    • No questions Asked , but hyping up another candidate interviewing for the same job   Answer Question
    Availability, personality

Cashier/Sales Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2014.

I applied online, and was sure I didn't do so great on the personality test portion of the application. I've never worked retail before, so I found it challenging, sometimes multiple answers seemed okay, but if you've had experience in retail I would assume that part is no problem. It took about a month and a half to get a callback, but they had been interviewing all summer so I was probably close to the bottom of their list. I got called to come in for a group interview, there ended up being 7 of us there. Based on the other reviews on here, I was prepared to choose a toy and sell it and had ideas for the lego thing. Turns out, my interview must have been an unusual one. We all played "2 truths and 1 lie" to introduce ourselves. Then the manager came in and was very clear about the position, what it's like working there etc. We were told pushing the rewards program, credit cards and buyer protection plan were very important. Then they dismissed us outside and did the 1 on 1 portion. Since it's so close to college starting back up they had me fill out an availability schedule. Asked me what my major was, and if I'd be interested in also being the HR Assistant since I've had office experience. It was the most laid back interview I've had, I think they were just desperate for more regular employees. Oh PS, working on Black Friday is a MUST, at least for this store. 12 hour shifts. However since I am from out of state, they are willing to let me work the closing shift on Black Friday so I could have Thanksgiving with my family, which was nice.

Interview Questions
    • I was literally only asked about my major and availability. Again, most likely a very atypical experience from what I've read on here.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, told the wage was $7.75 which is actually above minimum wage for KY so that's fine.

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2014.

Pretty easy group interview then one on one with either the store manager or just the human resource person. They just want to make sure you are well aware of the products they sell, and how you present yourself to them.

Interview Questions
    The hardest part is to stand out in the group interview.

Back of House Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling Heights, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling Heights, MI

I applied online – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Only one interview. They hire anyone and everyone as they cannot keep employees. The interviewers were the HR person and The Store Manager. Both seemed very friendly, Turns out the Hr person really is. The Store Manager? Not so much.

Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Filled out application in season and was called back in a couple of days. Some people in my group were wearing t shirts and jeans, they did not get hired. Interview consists of group setting with many questions about previous work experiences and situations eg "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a disgruntled customer." Had to go to the sales floor and pick an item to sell to the interviewer. Afterwards the general manager calls you one by one into another room to ask you many of the same questions you just answered to the interviewing manager. Offered me a job and did the background check, heard back in 2 weeks and began work.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready to sell an item and don't pick something you cannot talk at length about.   View Answer

Accounting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Long interview, 5 people to meet with, first phone interview, later whole day interview sometimes two days.
    Wait time for offer is too long. Decision making process very long. No negotiations with benefits allowed.