Toys ''R'' Us

434 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Associate Interview

Orange Park, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2010.

Interview Details – The first step in the interview is a group interview, where you will introduce yourself and information about yourself to the others in the room. You will be in a room with around 8-10 people, store manager, and hiring manager. During this time you'll have to introduce yourself and tell everyone about your work experience and goals in life. You will also do "team building" exercises.

After the group interview the hiring manager and store manager will meet with you one on one and ask you several questions. It has been my experience that you get offered employment directly after this interview.

Interview Question – I would say the most difficult at the time was what my career goals were, due to me being right out of high school and not being sure.   Answer Question

Seasonal Team Member Interview

Bloomington, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2013.

Interview Details – Group Interview
Multiple Activities Purposed to Show Familiarity and Communication/Interaction Skills
Managers are always present

The Seasonal Interviews at my location consisted of multiple applicants. Eight in total.
Interview Time: approx 2 hours

Managers will introduce themselves and the job description and give an approximation for the group interview length as well as a vague rundown of the interview process.

All will go through proper paperwork as well submit hour availability and so on.

First Task: FAMILIARITY
- Go out into the store and find a single/favorite toy - Toy set aside
- Time Given: Approx. 5 minutes

Second Task: SALES ABILITY/TEAMWORK
- Split into two random teams
- Given a small cup of Lego's and a small Lego base plate
-- Goal: With your team, create a visual representation of an original idea toy/item, and then, with your team, verbally sell the toy to the Store and HR Manager.
-- Time Given: Approximately 2 - 3 Minutes Construction and Planning Total

Third Task: Peer Interviews - LISTENING/SYMPATHY/UNDERSTANDING/COMMUNICATION
- Each team of four split into two groups of two
- Interview your partner, finding key qualities and qualifications of the other person
- Time Given: Approx. 2 - 3 Minutes
- Sell those key qualities and features of the other person to the Managers explaining why they would be good for the position
-- Communication skills are paramount here - as your appearance depends on how well you sell the other employee, but also how well they sell you - which means you need to listen well and if they are uncooperative, dig for key details about them you can use; Also you need to explain yourself well, handing them the key details about yourself you want emphasized so that they can sell you well. Don't rely on your partner to have it all together. Communication skilled applicants are few and far between in the fairly young audience of applicants for seasonal jobs. Do the work for them if you really want the job. This is really the only test where you work more for yourself than your team by strongly expressing the features mentioned above.

Fourth Task: SALES ABILITY/TEAMWORK
- Revisit those toys each applicant grabbed earlier
- Team must decide on a single toy in the group to sell (A real pain if you all make unique choices)
- Goal: Create a "commercial" for the Managers in which you sell chosen toy to them.
- Time Given: Toy Selection - 1 Minute; Commercial Planning - 2 Minutes; Commercial - 1 Minute

After these exercises the managers will then take some time to select who of the applicants is TRU material in private.
Upon their return they will openly announce who is staying and who is going
-- Personal Note: This may seem obvious but those team exercises mean a lot and having strong team members can carry you (not that you get to choose your members or anything). Our team performed strongly and worked together efficiently during all of the exercises. The other team did not - to say the very least. When it came down the elimination, all members of the other team were asked to leave. Three of the four members on our team were asked to stay.

After the former applicants left, we were then talked with directly by the TRU Managers. The job and expectations were explained at length as well as what we could expect with seasonal business at Toys "R" Us.
We were given the opportunities to ask the Managers questions pertaining to the job.

Each of us were then pulled aside individually in the Manager's office and asked if we were interested in the job still.

Interview Question – No questions.
The most difficult aspect was the teamwork involved and the immense amount you had to rely on your team to NOT screw up.
  View Answer

Director of Design Interview

Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in February 2010.

Interview Details – Multiple level interviewing process with many stakeholders in product development, safety, buying and brand management. Had to show extensive portfolio of experience, talents and skills in design innovations, product development and brand management. About 12 people involved. Took over 3 months from start to finish.

Interview Question – What is the next paradigm-changing trend for the next 5 years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fairly defined pay levels.

Sales Associate

I applied through other source and interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Interviewed with a supervision and then another supervisor

Interview Question – Have you ever had someone difficult to deal with? If so how did you handle it   Answer Question

Sales Associate
Kingston, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a phonecall about a week later from the assistant manager. He asked about my availability, then told me to come in two days later for an interview. Got there on time and there were 6 other people, all older than me (around 20-25 but one guy was 37). Another guy came in about 5 minutes late and we started the interview. The last person never showed so they didn't offer him the interview again. It started with us sitting around a table and talking about our experience one at a time. I was the only person there with no prior retail experience. They also asked our favorite toy. Then we moved the table and stood in the center, and the guy had us each "sell" an item we had with us. Make sure to show lots of personality and be a bit humorous, they like that. Then we split up into groups and built something with legos. The most crucial part here is to show a lot of teamwork, bring up ideas for the item you're building, and be very enthusiastic about it. Offer to help your teammates with the part that they're building and encourage all of your teammates to participate. Smile and laugh a lot but also show professional knowledge. The interviewer will be watching you and taking notes. After 15 minutes, one to two members of your team will stand up to explain the item you built. It helps if you volunteer right away to be that person who explains it. The company is looking for someone who's not afraid to do things like that. Afterwards he called in 4 of the people and had them in the back room for a couple minutes before sending them home. They were the less social people who didn't participate in the activities very much, so they didn't get the job. Then we went back one at a time for about 15 minutes each. When I went back he asked me to talk about myself, explain a conflict I had with someone else and how we worked it out, and what strengths I will bring to the company. I stuttered a lot and was very nervous for this part, so I didn't end up getting the job because of my lack of social skills. They're looking for someone who's not anxious at all and very good at explaining things. Two of the nine people who applied ended up getting the job, both were extremely friendly people.

Interview Question – Explain a conflict you've had with someone else and how you worked it out   Answer Question

Concord, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2011.

Interview Details – It is a group interview process. You will be there with several other candidates. When you first arrive you'll be asked to find a toy. You'll have to demonstrate your selling ability with that toy in front of a group knowing the features, what age is it appropriate for , does it take batteries or not, and the price. So choose something you can be comfortable and familiar with. After that there maybe a team building exercise where you construct something out of legos with a group. If you make it past the group interview you'll get an opportunity to do a one on one interview with the manager. There will be basic questions about your work experience and the hours you are looking for.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had a difficult or stressful situation and what was the outcome of that situation,   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate

Interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us

Interview Details – Group interview

Interview Question – Go out to the sales floor, pick an item and sell it to the fellow interviewees   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Customer Service Associate
Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2012.

Interview Details – The day of the interview I was offered the seasonal position. After I accepted I was told that the background check would be submitted immediately and all being well I would come in the next week for orientation. I went in and watched videos about company policy and was paid for the time. The manager and HR people were very personable and friendly.

Interview Question – "Tell me about yourself..." was the first question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. This seasonal position was set at $9.00 hour.

Assembler Interview

Assembler

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Group interview. Was asked to pick a toy of my choice before entering the room. Worked with a group to construct a product using a box of Legos. We were then asked to sell the product to the interviewer. Afterwards we were asked to sell the toy we chose to the interviewer. Basically, by doing this the interviewer sees your selling skills.

Interview Question – (In reference to a certain product) How would you sell this product to (a specific child)?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Wayne, NJ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Informal, personality based questions. No questions specific to department, but it is very important to have some general knowledge of the company as a whole.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to tell someone that they were wrong. How did you go about it and what was the result.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Toys ''R'' Us