Toys ''R'' Us

Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Maria, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Maria, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

The whole process took about a week, I applied online on Wednesday, and got a call on Friday about a group interview on Tuesday, they said to dress in interview attire, so I wore a button up shirt and black jeans. I arrived 15 minutes early and they told me to wait in one of the toy sections until everyone arrived, once we were all there - about 12 of us - we were taken to the breakroom where we were asked to stand up, introduce ourselves and name our favorite toy as a kid. After that one of the managers explained the job deatails and had us sign some forms, then the fun part began. We were split into groups and had to pick a toy from a table and make a commercial about it. After that we did this excercise where a manager would come up pretending to be a customer and we had to find them the toy they were looking for then try and sell them the rewards card and credit card. After that it was the 1:1 interviews, everyone was called back one at a time, I was one of the last ones to be called so I was a bit discouraged about getting the job but after the interview I was offered the job right on the spot. The questions were simple enough: why you want to work there? Who is the most demanding person you know? And how you would deal with certain situations? I accepted and they told me they would contact me after a background check. I start on Sunday.

Interview Questions
    • Who is the most demanding person you know, and how do you deal with them.   Answer Question
    No negotiations, take it or leave it.

Seasonal Sales Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

I filled out an application online, the process took about 3 days. They called me and told me how much I would be making, and asked if I could come in the day or the next day. They told me to come at 12. I went in about 15 minutes early, and the managers assistant took us to the break room, which there was a guy sitting at the table staring at me, and kept on staring at me for multiple minutes. I felt uncomfortable. 4 other people came in and sat down, he stared at them too. All the people that were there were all older than me. I introduced myself to everyone, and as they did. They were very friendly people! We all bonded quite quickly. The last girl came in a few minutes late. The manager came in and introduced herself to break the ice. She was very nice, and friendly. She made all of us introduce ourselves (what we like to do) then she asked us what our favorite today and why. After that she split us up into pairs of 2, and she put a big tub of legos and asked us to build something then sell it to us. She gave us 20 minutes. I did notice that a lot of the employees were coming in and out. After the lego building she made us get out an item we bring with us and try to sell it to everybody. I brought lipstick. Others brought a wallet, notepad, a ticket, compact mirror, and keys. After that we had 1 on 1 interviews, and they usually tell you on spot if you have the job or not. You need to be talkative and energetic, and throw some jokes in there, and volunteer to go first to talk.

Overnight Stock Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

Details

I applied online and in a week they called to schedule an interview. The interview was mainly group activities. We were assigned in different groups and we were asked to create a toy out of blocks and then talk about the toy we made to everyone. Then we were asked to choose a toy and sale it to the manager. Then after that you have a one on one interview with the manager.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty simple. One of the questions was ''Tell me about a time when you had to give someone difficult feedback. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

Arrived an hour prior to interview time and was told by an employee to look around the store then wait in the area by the break room 5 minutes before the interview time which was at 3pm. I did exactly that but was waiting and waiting until it was about 3:15 so I went back to the same employee and asked her when they were going to start because I had been waiting. She then tells me to go into the break room, which she did NOT tell me first hand. I walk in and the group interview had already started and the interviewer told me I was too late. I told him I had been waiting for an hour and nobody told me to go in and he just told me I was late. I clearly wasn't and was clearly not given proper instructions.

Cashier/Sales Team Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

The hiring process took about 5 days. Applied online Saturday, got a call on Sunday. Went to a group interview, there was about 12 of us. We had to introduce ourselves and say what was our favorite cartoon network, and why we wanted to work their. Afterwards, we got interviewed by one of the 3 managers/HR. I was told that after background checks I would be offered a position. its Unfortunate, I had 2 interviews with sears and Toys R us back to back, and sears was quick about hiring me. Although I wanted to pick Toys R us, I felt I needed to stick with sears because They're more busy through out the year, and I'd have a better chance of not getting laid off. if Toys R us didn't take as long, I would've choose to work their.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. They're basically looking at if you are a reliable worker and if you're still a kid at heart. Make sure you're up to date about the toy products that are out, it really helps.   Answer Question

Sears hired me first, and out of loyalty and respect, I didn't think it was right to turn my back on them, especially since I had already given them all the paper work and stuff. Like I said, If Toys R us was quicker at hiring me, I would've chosen them. It actually would've been fun working their.

Over Night Stock Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

The hiring and interview process was rather easy! I applied on Tuesday night, received a call back on Wednesday, interviewed on Friday and was offered a job on the spot!

When going into the interview which was a group setting, I smiled from beginning to end, even though I was very nervous I didn't let it show. We were given a partner and had to introduce each other to the other candidates. (Please remember to have fun with it because the manager will be checking off on their clip board the entire time) Then we were told to go out to the store with our partner and pick a toy to sale to the class, my partner and myself decided to create a scenario and go from there. After that was done we were given a little packet with different policies and offers that toys r us has and a few minutes to read over it and had to briefly tell everyone about it (please don't over think it! Just tell a few facts and be done).

After all this was over, we were taken to a seperate room and called in one by one for interviews face to face with the store manager. If they liked you, you are offered a position on the spot!

Just remember to go in there be yourself and HAVE FUN! it's the easiest interview I've ever had !!

GOOD LUCK :)

Ps. I read these interview experiences prior to going to my interview and it really helped!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were faced with a difficult situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with an angry customer and they wanted you to handle a situation immediately that could take a longer time to resolve.   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

I applied online through their website and received a phone call a week later to schedule an interview. I was asked what time I would be available to come in and I said after 4 would be fine. Interview was set up at 5. I arrived and asked for ***** (the HR manager). She asked me to wait in the backroom and would meet me in a few minutes. When she came back, she introduced herself and began asking questions if I had ever had experience in retail,(this would be my first job) gave me details of the company, the pay and what I would be doing. She was very friendly and very easy to talk to. I felt as if I have been friends with her already! At the end of the interview, she told me she will run my background and would call me within a week since there's so many applicants for the holiday season. She called me exactly a week later and told me to come in to sign paper work. One day later, she called me with my schedule.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. They do like that you ask them questions at the end! They give a very thorough answers and make sure you understand everything said.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. $8 was as good as it gets for a seasonal position.

Cashier/Sales Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silverdale, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silverdale, WA

interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

They have a panel interview. First they let you tear some tissue on a roll, and then that's the number of things that you will tell about your self. After that they will pair you with someone to discuss your favorite movie and tell to your partner why you choose that for 10 minutes, and then after that you will go in front and tell what your partners favorite movie and why he or she choosed it.

Interview Questions
    • Choose an item and tell something about it to promote the product.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

There was a round-table interview process with several other Department Supervisors from the district. There were store managers, the DM, and the HRDM sitting in the room taking notes and observing our behavior. They asked us questions and generally gave feedback on the spot. Afterwards we each had two individual interviews. I interviewed with two store managers for the first interview. My second individual interview was with the DM and another store manager.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about what the company values were and where I thought I fell on that spectrum. Why did I feel that I met that particular company value.   Answer Question
    There was not a negotiation for this position.

Sales Associate Interview

Make sure you come dressed to impress and be confident. They will ask you to pick out a toy from the sales floor and ask you to talk about the toy and sell it to them as if they were the customer.