Toys ''R'' Us Interview Questions & Reviews

2.3

Guest Service Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bloomington, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Large Group interview. Played "games" to get to know your sales and team work, followed by interviewing each other and presenting each other. Followed by a small break while they discuss us in the next room. They than came out and dismissed several people, and than did "one on one" interviews with those of us left. Had a friend interviewed at the same time. They offered me a position on the spot, and my friend got told she would be contacted with more information. She got a form rejection letter the next day.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation on pay or anything, just asked for a sheet with a more detailed availablity

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Wayne, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Wayne, NJ

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2012.

It was an all day process. Start early in the morning and are there until about 4-5pm. Meet lots of people within the accounting and finance dept. all questions that they ask are read from a paper. You have 2-3 one on one interviews. Group team builder exercises. There is a exam but not to difficult. Don't like not getting a call back on wether you received a job or not.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you a lot of scenario questions nothing too difficult. Just be prepared.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2013.

Started with a group interview, there were at least 8 of us. An item that we were to sell was placed in front of us and we were asked to describe it's features and sell it to a customer. Then in the next round, we each had individual interview time. I was asked a number of questions about who I admire, what's the most difficult situation you've encountered at work and how did you handle it. They told us we would be told within a week but I was told at the conclusion of the process by the interviewer that I had a good shot and they liked me for a permanent position rather than a seasonal one.

Interview Questions
    • Being asked who I admired was a question I'd never been asked in an interview and caught me off guard.   Answer Question
    No real negotiation. I was told what my hourly wage would be and was offered a permanent position to start instead of the seasonal position I had interviewed for.

Management Trainee Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

I had the interview at the University. The interview was with 3 men. I thought the interview went well, but it has been almost a month and have never heard a 'yes' or 'no'. The interview was difficult though, all three men rate you and write comments on the hard questions they ask.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with cultural differences at school or work.   Answer Question

Over Night Stock Seasonal Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in December 2013.

I applied online and got called in for an interview right away. It was a group interview, with 7 or 8 people total. The interview was short, and the hiring manager was very friendly. We were told that we had been hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • We were asked to describe ourselves in 1 word, starting with an initial from our name. Then we were asked to go pick out a toy, and act out a commercial/sales pitch for it. The interviewer said a majority of customers will ask questions about the products that are easily answered just by reading the packaging and encouraged us to be creative.   View Answer

Buyer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Wayne, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Wayne, NJ

I interviewed online - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Applied online and was contacted by an in-house recruiter to set up a short 30-minute phone screen. The conversation went well, so he scheduled an in-person interview for the following week. Met him and 4 other buyers for a total of five 30-minute in-person meetings - very basic questions/conversation about my work history and the job description. I thought they went very well and sent individual thank you emails to all 5 people I met the following day. After a month of not hearing anything, even after following up with the recruiter a second time, I've heard nothing. Not even a "thank you but we've decided to go with someone else" email, nothing. Ironic that at the beginning of the interview, the recruiter handed me an HR packet that stated guidelines such as, "We promise to provide feedback in a timely manner." Hah. I'm assuming they decided to go with someone cheaper.

Interview Questions
    • none, basic conversation and typical work history questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Group interview, lego building exercise, selling a toy

Hourly Team Member/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in February 2013.

My interview with Toys R Us was conducted with the Store Manager and the Human Resources Director. We went over basics like availability and relevant experience. The most important thing is simply to show your enthusiasm! I remember talking about Disney and having a conversation about the best princess. Take the time to walk around the store before your interview. Make yourself familiar with the range of products offered and latch on to a department or line you are passionate about. This will make a difference for your interview!

Interview Questions
    • This is not necessarily difficult, but they had a few different products in the room. The interviewer will ask you to sell them the product. Make sure to read the box, etc. to get an idea of what you're looking at. Be enthusiastic and confident! Toys R Us is all about being friendly and happy. Show that you are a people person.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. They did a brief phone interview first. The first question is are you willing to work at minimum wage. Not much room to move up.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2012.

Had phone interview with a recruiter, then interviewed in person with regional hr mgr, and then ultimately with regional mgr.
    questions were pretty standard and they were clearly trying to get a sense of who you were.
    They spent a LOT of selling me on who Toys R Us supposedly was and how they wanted someone with my experience somewhere else to help them take TRU to another level (I later figured out they don't want any input because they feel like they know everything).

Interview Questions
    They clearly had thought through what they needed to offer, but my suggestion would be to ignore the bonus "potential" they will spend a lot of time talking about because it's unlikely you will make it.

Assistant Manager Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2012.

Interviewed with four (4) Managers. If you are liked as a candidate, you will meet with the Director of the team.