Toys ''R'' Us

Relevance Date Difficulty

Accounting Manager Interview

Accounting Manager
Wayne, NJ

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Long interview, 5 people to meet with, first phone interview, later whole day interview sometimes two days.
Wait time for offer is too long. Decision making process very long. No negotiations with benefits allowed.

Interview Question – Out of box ideas   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Wayne, NJ

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – First interview over the phone with HR - asked general questions about background and skills.
Second Interview with HR in person and Director - asked more specific questions about projects worked on and types of technology as well as experience dealing with people and problems.
Third Interview with 2 different group managers I wold report to 1 of them - asked many questions about problem solving, dealing with projects and people, budgets, and project setups. Also had discussions about personal likes and dislikes to get to know each other.
Final negotiation of salary over the phone.
Came in for tentative offer letter and drug test paperwork.
Final offer letter was sent after drug test results in.

Interview Question – Where is the best place you have vacationed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated over the phone with HR to get more vacation and salary, but not much more salary. They got final approval from the Director and it was pretty straight forward, but they had ranges in mind when discussing.

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in January 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed through an on-campus recruiting event. The whole interviews lasted around 20 minutes.

Several questions on the interviewee's background, nothing unusual. Company specific questions included what Toys R Us meant specifically to the interviewee, and where does the interviewee see the company headed. The interviewer was very nice to talk to.

Interview Question – What does Toys R Us mean to you?   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst
Wayne, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2012.

Interview Details – It was an all day process. Start early in the morning and are there until about 4-5pm. Meet lots of people within the accounting and finance dept. all questions that they ask are read from a paper. You have 2-3 one on one interviews. Group team builder exercises. There is a exam but not to difficult. Don't like not getting a call back on wether you received a job or not.

Interview Question – They ask you a lot of scenario questions nothing too difficult. Just be prepared.   Answer Question

Buyer Assistant Interview

Buyer Assistant
Wayne, NJ

I applied online and interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted by an in-house recruiter to set up a short 30-minute phone screen. The conversation went well, so he scheduled an in-person interview for the following week. Met him and 4 other buyers for a total of five 30-minute in-person meetings - very basic questions/conversation about my work history and the job description. I thought they went very well and sent individual thank you emails to all 5 people I met the following day. After a month of not hearing anything, even after following up with the recruiter a second time, I've heard nothing. Not even a "thank you but we've decided to go with someone else" email, nothing. Ironic that at the beginning of the interview, the recruiter handed me an HR packet that stated guidelines such as, "We promise to provide feedback in a timely manner." Hah. I'm assuming they decided to go with someone cheaper.

Interview Question – none, basic conversation and typical work history questions.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier
New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

Interview Details – It was a group interview. The first activity was to get in separate teams and build a product out of legos to name, price, create a jingle for it and sell to the rest of the group. Then we had to try to pitch our own personal items. We then had one on one interviews. It was such a fun interview, the rest of the group were great and the interviewers were nice.

Interview Question – There really were not any difficult questions. Overall it was a great and fun interview.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst
Wayne, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2013.

Interview Details – They recruited me on campus - through the MBA program. There was a first round of interviews on campus. There was a second round at their corporate headquarters. They recruit from everywhere as they had candidates flown in from across the country. They paid for everything. The facility is very nice, test toy store, cafe, etc. The second round was an all day event. It was split into two halves - interview, and activities. 3 different people would interview back to back to back. During the other half you had to take a skills test (some simple math/patterns), a team building exercise & presentation, and also a meet & greet with current employers. They provided breakfast, lunch, and snacks (meet and greet). I was very impressed by the company and the staff. It is a casual dress environment (jeans). Questions were Behavioral.

Interview Question – Give me a time when you had to deal with a demanding customer and how did you handle it?   View Answer

Product Development Intern Interview

Product Development Intern
Wayne, NJ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in April 2013.

Interview Details – Two sets of interviews. Both ask behavioral questions like 'tell me about a time when..." One is a phone screening with an HR recruiter and the other is with the team you'll be working with.

Interview Question – All were basic. Think of your experiences and how you would answer situation questions. Use the STAR model - situation, task, action, response.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none - very generous for an intern

Store Management Interview

Store Management
Wayne, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in February 2010.

Interview Details – Generally three interview process. District and HR managers, then Regional

Interview Question – Basic questions, not too difficult "Tell me about a time you provided great customer service"   Answer Question

Director of Design Interview

Director of Design
Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in February 2010.

Interview Details – Multiple level interviewing process with many stakeholders in product development, safety, buying and brand management. Had to show extensive portfolio of experience, talents and skills in design innovations, product development and brand management. About 12 people involved. Took over 3 months from start to finish.

Interview Question – What is the next paradigm-changing trend for the next 5 years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fairly defined pay levels.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Toys ''R'' Us

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Toys ''R'' Us interview questions and advice in New York City, NY. All 80 interview reviews posted anonymously by Toys ''R'' Us employees and interview candidates.