Toys ''R'' Us

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us

Interview Details – Went in for my first interview, it was a group interview with two female employees (I'll give them fake names - Mary & Kate). They asked us 'basic hiring questions'; why would you like to join the Toys R Us Family? How Long have you been in the retail field?, share a story when you went above and beyond, etc...

After the group interview both employees Mary & Kate then had all of us wait outside of their "training/interview" room, and called us in one-by-one for the 1 on 1 interview.

Mary stayed in the original room we started in and Kate went into the next room. They called us randomly, I was the third one called into Mary's room and the person before me was rolling her eyes as she walked out. Mary did my one-on-one interview & could care less about doing so (kept losing track of what questions she already asked me & kept playing on her phone).

In the mean time, Kate obviously wasn't prepared and came in our room several times basically asking Mary what to do next, either she was missing something or didn't know what to do next...... (smh terrible)

Final task at the end of my interview, Mary gave me a paper clip and told me to "sell it" to her. Before I could even begin Kate once again bursts in the room, this time already talking to Mary and interrupted my "selling of the paper clip". Kate this time had a whole bunch of questions for Mary and was there at least 3 minuets.... the whole time Mary wasnt even making eye contact with Kate because she was texting or doing something on her cellphone. Finally Kate finished and left the room, I waited for Mary to finish up whatever she was doing on her cell phone and she did. She put the phone down, looked up at me and said, "Ok, are you finished?"... I told her, "Yes" and walked out.

Interview Question – All questions were expected, but the employees* that asked the questions were unexpected.   Answer Question

Overnight Stock

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Applied and within 2 weeks received a call. I was placed on hold several times between 5-10 minutes just to be told that the pay is inflexible at min. wage and it's overnight!

Reason for Declining – Pay and lack if prof. behavior.

East Lansing, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was placed in a room with about 5 other girls and we all played two games. Then we did the one on one interview once the games were completed.

Interview Question – "Are you afraid of heights?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I haven't even started as an overnight stocker. I've been a cashier and a sales associate and not once have I been done the assignment I was hired in to do.

Culver City, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2013.

Interview Details – it was a group interview and it began with the group of about 10 of us being lead into a room. That is where we waited for the manager and the human resources of the store. They waited a few minutes for the rest of the group to show up. Then we got started they introduced themselves. then they went around the tables we introduced ourselves,say why you want the job,and tell them our favorite toy. As this was happening the manager was writing things down on his tablet. Then they separated us in to groups and gave us legos. then we had to build something and let them know what it was. this activity was used to see if we could do things as a team. Then were told to leave the room and after a couple of minutes I was called back into the room with two other people and was told that they were going with other applicants.

Interview Question – The questions were very standard nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2013.

Interview Details – Well you start off with a group interview. Myself personally was in a group of 7. Once you walk in the two managers introduced themselves and hand you a piece of paper. They say write your name and your favorite cartoon character. They go around the table where you introduce yourself and tell a little about yourself. Once you done you have to act out your character. From there they tell you to go out to the floor and pick a toy. Then you have to sell the toy to them. Afterwards they pair you up and ask sell your partner as if you where a manager and they were your client. The whole process takes about 45minutes to an hour.

Afterwards you go on to your second interview. Try to go first as they last about 30minutes if your going to get hired. This the typical why do you want to work here and what is your previous experience.

NOTE: If your second interview seems very short you may not have gotten the job. How do I know. Myself and another guy's second only lasted 10minutes maybe, while the others where extremely long. Sent the dreaded email the next morning.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2011.

Interview Details – Filled out an app for seasonal position and they contacted me within a couple of weeks. A group interview took place. They had us grab an item and had us talk about the product. After that they took us one by one into a room to interview us. The interview was basic. They asked about previous work and about what we can bring to the company.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Very Difficult Interview

Ventura, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2011.

Interview Details – you basically interview your partner, present each other in front of the class, and take a product you have on you, and try to sell it to the class / show and tell. Honestly, no one from the school did anything except take roll and supervise the children. Had i known this, i would have stayed home and not wasted my time

(Yeah, i know i'm describing a school / classroom setting because honestly; that's how it really felt)

Interview Questions

Rego Park, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online via the toys r us website. I received a call a couple of weeks later asking me to come in the next morning. Upon arrival, there were about ten people waiting to be interviewed.. Before the interview process began, we had to watch two videos explaining store policies and what the job consists of. After that we were each called one by one to have the interview.

Interview Question – Tell me a situation when you encountered a difficult situation. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Overnight Stocking Interview

Overnight Stocking
Orem, UT

The process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online via the Toys R' Us website and received a call the next day to schedule an interview. Upon arriving I was told by the front desk to go to the break room for the group interview. I met up with 7 other interviewees in the break room where we awaited further instruction. The store manager and the Assistant manager entered, introduced themselves, and started the first activity. The first activity was making a name tag with paper and crayons, pretty simple. The 2nd activity took some imagination and improv, we were split into groups and given Lego's, we were then told to build a toy and be ready to sell it to the class in 5 mins. My group built a remote control plane and sold it as a cheap kid friendly alternative to the more expensive and dangerous brands out today. After the presentation we were all told to wait outside of the meeting room while we were then called into the office one by one for a 1:1 interview with the manager and her assistant. The questions asked in the 1:1 interview were along the lines of why did you choose toys r us?, what do you think makes you qualified for the job?, give me an example of a time you had to meet a deadline, etc... After answering a few questions and giving a them a couple examples I was offered a job on the spot.

Interview Question – What was the most rewarding experience you had while helping a customer?   Answer Question

Overnight Stock

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Quick interview with manager and offered the position

Interview Question – Name a time you took initiative at work.
Why do you want to work with us?
What makes a good work environment?
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary to low

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!