Toys ''R'' Us

Getting the Interview

34 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email stating I was not needed later that week. Received a call from the hiring manager asking me to come in for an interview the next week. The interview process was not difficult; I arrived on time and we waited about 10 minutes for others to arrive. We went to the back for the interview to be conducted after being told to pick a toy from the sales floor.

Interview Question – Building a toy with interview group and attempting to sell it   Answer Question

Torrance, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Interview process was very easy! Started with a group interview where we split into two groups and used toy blocks to build something. Then we had to explain what we made. BE CREATIVE and try to take leadership of your group. We then selected toys laid out on a table and had to "sell" it to the managers. Be sure to mention batteries! After the group interview, we did one on one interviews which was very easy!

Interview Question – Who is the most important person in the store?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Starting pay was $8.50, I was fine with that

Sales Team Member

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied to Toys "R" Us online and within two days received a call from the Hiring Manager. After offering me a place in a group interview, she proceeded to let me know what hours I would be working if I was hired and what the hourly wage was at start. The group interview was relaxed and far from the traditional interview. We began by stating our name, a few words about ourselves, our favorite toy and favorite movie. We then proceeded to build a toy as a group, which there were two of. The goal was to build a toy and explain what age group it would be marketed to, what it's purpose was, and what how did it function. We ended the group interview selling a product to the person next to us that had been chosen by the Hiring Manager. When this was over we were sent into the break room and called in individually for extended interviews.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was being asked to sell a product. Each person was given a toy that they were not completely familiar or comfortable with.   Answer Question

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, received call a few hours later, group interview next day. Put into groups there was 4 of us. Made lego farm for team work, had to sell an item to HR. Then one on one interview with assistant HR. Background check, 3 days later was offered the job.

Interview Question – Selling an item, only because it was unexpected.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None $8.25

Riverside, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was a group interview. There was 8 of us and the first thing we had to do was introduce ourselves and say your favorite movie. Then we got into 2 groups and we had to build something out of these connecting things, they weren't legos, they were k'nex I think it was called. They gave us 10 min. and we had to sell it to them, basically what it does, if it uses batteries and why it would be a great toy. After that we got a chance to pick a toy from the actual store, anything!, so I would advice you to go in advance and study a toy before the interview. Again you have to sell it to someone like what it is, what it does, its benefits, why it would be a great toy. A plus would also be to study there rewards program and incorporate that when you sell them a toy. So after that the hiring manager said she would call us in one by one but all she asked was what did I think of their interviewing process and if I had any questions. She said they had a lot of applicants and were looking for the best so if I didn't receive a call by 5pm that day that meant they had moved on with other applicants.

Interview Question – There wasn't any unexpected or difficult questions.   Answer Question

Sale Team Member Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

Interview Details – I completed an online application and was called the next day to schedule an interview. It was a group interview and very laid back.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call back the same day. The interview was set up for the next day and I was told it was a group interview. Upon arrival we were a total of 7 in attendance with one HR representative. We were told to create a name tag and be creative with it (markers and crayons provided), she even gave us Kit Kat haha. Next we were spilt into groups of two (I was within a group of three), we had to interview one another as the HR rep stepped out. The questions we were told to ask were, "What is your Favorite Toy, Cartoon, and Movie". Along with, "Why do you want to work with Toy 'R' Us" and, a Special Trait and Unique thing about Yourself. 15 minutes later the HR representative walked back in. We were asked to share our answers with her, this was a method to introduce the person we interviewed as well as, show your confidence level in presenting. whatever were then told we had to create a commercial. The commercial was to consist of a toy you create out of Legos they provide (keep it mind they give you a hand full from a bucket and, you can only use the Legos provided). In addition to building a toy, we had to create a Company Name, A Slogan, and a Jingle. Once again we were broken up into groups of twos, she switched us around but, I remained in a group of three. She advised us she will be returning with guest to view our presentations (this is what I consider a skills test), she returned with her Supervisor and an Assistant Manager (the supervisor took notes during the presentations). We were thanked for our ability to create such work under 20 minutes with complete strangers, we were also informed 1:1 interviews were going to be conducted with a Manager in a few minutes. The questions asked in my 1:1 interview were like "What can you bring to the company", "Did you enjoy your past experience with your employers and why". Be yourself be laid back, she asked if I would approach customers and my response was I can not stay quiet, I always have to be in conversation. She said she loved that response and I was offered the Job. They are first running my background check and will be contacting me to return for paper work and date of orientation. Hope I helped and the best of Luck. Keep in mind, BE YOURSELF !!

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation necessary, starting pay is $8.50.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call about three days later to come in for an interview. It was group interview, they asked to make a name label and be creative with it. They split us into two groups and made us build something with legos and then try to sell that to one of the managers in the room. Once that was done we were given one toy to examine and afterwards sale. When we all finished we all got a 1 on 1 interview. The job was offered to me after a few easy basic questions.

Lawrenceville, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied for job via the internet. Was a simple application process. The interviewers were relaxed and kind. They were obviously passionate about working there. First, all the job applicants did a "group" project where we had to work together to design a toy for children. Then, we did "individual" project in front of the other job applicants where we had to choose a toy and pretend like we were selling it to a customer. Finally, we each did a "private" interview with the interviewers. It was a short and surprisingly non-stressful interview process.

Interview Question – "Choose a toy and 'sell' it to a customer."   View Answer

Redwood City, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Submitted an application and recieved a call the next morning and scheduled an interview that very day. Interview was intended to be a group interview but only 2 people showed up. We each interviewd one by one with the head manager and that included picking a random toy off the floor and selling it to them. The list of usual questions about work experience followed after that. It was originally for a seasonal position but they kept me on afterwards.

Interview Question – None of them were really difficult but the whole sell me a toy/credit card thing was a little challenging.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none-negotable for a seasonal part-time employee

Interviews for Top Jobs at Toys ''R'' Us

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Toys ''R'' Us Sales Team Member interview questions and advice. All 34 interview reviews posted anonymously by Toys ''R'' Us employees and interview candidates.