Toys ''R'' Us

2.5

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Seasonal Sales Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2014.

After applying online, I was contacted within a few days for an In Person Interview. The HR person asked me a couple of questions on the phone such as "Are you able to work and help people in a dynamic environment?" Before the interview, look at their corporate site to get a feel of their values and culture. Interviews are checking for fit!
    The Manager introduced himself and gave us his background story. Then we were all required to share our own background story (talk about things that will sell your skills, etc). We were then asked to choose a toy in the store and sell it/improv with the Manager, who was acting as a customer. BE SURE to talk about accessories, batteries, the age group audience it is intended for, cautionary precaution warnings regarding the toy...and the Reward's Card. The Reward's Card is key! Afterwards, we had one on one with standard questions of "Why do you want to work here? What do you hope to gain from here?" etc. I wasn't too prepared about my first interview ever (minus reading up previous interviews on GlassDoor), but my babbling nervousness about caring for the customers must have gotten me the offer! I received the call a day after the in person interview. Be sure to give off a friendly and competent team player vibe! Be calm and confident (They will want confidence because we will be dealing with customers who will eat us if they see us falter...)!

Interview Questions
    • Improv with the Manager regarding the Toy: "So my son wanted a pink scooter, but all they have is this green one..."   View Answer
    No, I was not able to negotiate because they had already told us we would be paid minimum wage before the interview had begun.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2012.

I was asked a few questions on the phone about my availability from the manager and he shared some information about the working environment during the holidays.

Afterwards, I was brought in for a panel interview where we had to introduce ourselves in the form of a cartoon character. This was fairly easy for me since I have a strong acting background. Next we were paired up and had to interview each other, then sell our partner to the HR Manager based on what we had learned from each other. The store manager came by and told us some information about himself and the store. The last activity we did was try to make a commercial from the toy we picked and sell it to the HR Manager. She was very impressed with my commercial because I made a note of any choking hazard warnings on the toy as well as the age range it is recommended for in my commercial. At the end of the commercial, we were brought in for 1 on 1s with the HR Manager and the Store Manager and they told me they would call me in a few days. I ended up getting offered the job today.

It was definitely a fun process overall, and it was structured that way because they wanted to hire based on your personality.

Interview Questions
    • The manager was hoping one of the candidates would have asked someone to describe a time in which he/she had to meet a sales goal, but I will make a note of that for future reference.   Answer Question
    It was a non-negotiable 8.50 an hour.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2010.

I filled out an online application and was called for an interview a couple days later. The interview started as a group of 7 or 8 people, we introduced ourselves and recalled our favorite toys that we had as kids. Toys were then passed out and we all gave a little demonstration of given toy as if we were dealing with a guest of the store. We were then all called in individually for a 1 on 1. From start to finish it took around an hour. we were told we would be called on Monday when they made their decisions. I thought it all went fairly well, but here it is Wednesday, and no offer. it's too bad, I've already worked for Toys R Us in the past and I could have really used the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would the employees who worked with you before say about you?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in June 2010.

I initially applied online, and was subsequently contacted fairly quickly; about a week later. There was a group interview, with about seven other applicants and three managers. There were basic scenario questions, experience questions, and just an overall environment of being able to see how one interacts with others, as well as voice their opinion in an unknown environment with unknown people.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't exactly difficult, nor unexpected given the position (sales associate), but I can understand how it might rattle someone. After the group interview, and initial feeling out phase, we were then instructed to go pick out a toy, which upon our return we would have to "sell" to the three managers giving the interview. They also wanted us to try to sell an add-on, batteries, credit card, reward card etc. We didn't have to know specifics, they simply wanted to know you were capable of thinking on your feet and handling a situation in which you weren't prepared.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiating the hourly salary, I was hired at 8.25 and hr.