Toys ''R'' Us

Updated Nov 30, 2014

2.1

46 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

I went in to pick up an application and they were having open interviews. I went in and the only question they asked me was when I was available. They then told me I was hired and to go apply online and they would get back to me. However, they have not called me back and it has been 3 weeks.

Other Interview Reviews for Toys ''R'' Us

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

I applied for the job online and about 4 days later I got a call for a group interview. The group was huge. There was about 15 of us. The manager and assistan manager both interviewed us. The manager was the observer and the assistant was the one talking to us.

The first thing they made us do, after everyone arrived, was to find a toy from the store. When everyone came back all of us took turns selling it to the assisstand manager. She was really niced and helped us through it. When you are selling a toy, you need to bring up the specs and how it will benefit the child. To stand out more, know what their buyer protection program is, their rewards card, and their credit card. Also always suggest to the customer to buy the toys r us brand batteries.

The second part of the interview was one-to-one with the managers. When I went in they just asked my availability and told me that if my background check came through they would call back with a formal proposal.

I got a call back three days later and they hired me.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. All they asked us to do was sell something. So practice your selling skills.   Answer Question
    No negotiation and wage was set at $7.75/hour

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2014.

The hiring process was very easy. I applied online, and was called back within a week. The manager told me to go in for an interview at a certain time. I arrived about 15 minutes early and walked around the store familiarizing myself with it.

The manager then called everyone to the front of the store through the intercom. We (about six of us) were then led to the conference room where we were introduced to the store and the two managers.

They told us to stand up and introduce ourselves, name our favorite cartoon character and why, and why you want to work at toys r us. After everyone did that the interviewer gave us different age groups. I got tween girl, and others got boy under 5 years, infant, etc. They gave us all 10 minutes to go out throughout the store and find a toy to fit the age group which we were given. When everyone was back we were given an additional couple of minutes to come up with a sales pitch. They want to see personality, and if you know the product. It is very important you list the features of a product, and how it will benefit the customer. When you are finished selling the toy to the manager you sat back down.

After everyone had their turn they let some people go right away. Two of the six that were there got sent home on the spot. They said they didn't feel they were right for the position. Then the remaining people were taken on a tour of the store, shown where everything is and given information as to why things are where they are, and really good information about the store itself. Then it was time for the 1 on 1 interviews.

The 1 on 1 interview was very fast and short. They asked to tell a little bit more about yourself. I had mentioned I was a big gamer so the guy asked if id be interested in working in the electronics department (which was where I wanted to work). Then he asked a couple questions like a time where I was most proud of myself and my achievements, what is the most important part of working in retail, and then he asked about my availability, and asked a couple of scenario questions like what would you do in an emergency, etc. Then he said that he'd like to welcome me to the team if the background check clears and went over uniform, discount, etc.

Make sure to have eye contact, and dress nice. Slacks, a nice button down, tie, and dress shoes. He said I was very presentable, and its always a plus to dress nice in any interview.

Overall it was a very fun and easy process.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question for me was my greatest achievement. it could be easy for you, but to me personally it was a challenge. Dont spend too much time thinking about your answer, but dont just talk nonsense.   Answer Question
    pay is minimum wage, with no negotiating. although he said they do work overtime frequently which is time and a half.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2014.

I had just finished my interview and it was a terrible experience.

I was expecting to see over 5 people for this interview after reading reviews here on Glassdoor, but there was 4 of us with me included. The interview was at 11am and it started about 5-10 minutes later. The HR Manager came in and introduced himself to us. He then told us to tell him what's our name, what retail experience did we have, and what our favorite toy was growing up. I told them my name along with that I had no work experience (It WOULD have been my first job) and my favorite toy was the Gameboy as a child.

After that, they told us to pick a toy and try to sell it to them. I picked one out and I tried giving a sales pitch the best i can. The process was pretty quick. After that, we were then told to wait. One guy who had retail experience was chosen while me and the two other candidates were sent home. One guy didn't have retail experience but had customer service experience. The other person was a woman who had no experience at all. Toys "R" Us also sent me a email stating that they rejected me but they'll "keep me in the database".

Interview Questions
    • Because I didn't get a 1-on-1 interview, there was none.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Group interview, we had to describe a product amongst ourselves with the pretense of trying to sell the product to a customer. Everyone will get the chance and interviewer will make you look a little closer if you were not that detailed

Interview Questions
    • this group interview is not that helpful, persons are being compared to each other on spot. personal questions are a little bit intimidating. Such as words to describe self and other lives experiences. please bear in mind you don't know the participants. It's an awkward position ..very!   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

I applied online and in a week they called to schedule an interview. The interview was mainly group activities. We were assigned in different groups and we were asked to create a toy out of legos and then talk about the toy we made to everyone. Then we were asked to choose a toy and sale it to the manager. Then after that you have a one on one interview with the manager.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was really easy. One of the questions was ''Tell me about a time when you had to give someone difficult feedback. How did you handle it? ''   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

First we wrote our names on a sticker and then we had to introduce ourselves to a partner. Afterwards we built stuff with Lego blocks and had to sell it. Then we each had individual products to sell to the interviewers. Overall a fun time and makes you forget it was an interview. We had one-on-ones afterwards to go over availability and a few questions about experience. Really fun and would love to have all interviews like this in the future!

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

got called for an interview about 2 days after applying, usual group interview they sent some people home kept some of us for additional questions i was told they liked me better for a cashier position rather than working the floor about a week later i recieved a phone call saying they would like to hire me and would call again once my background check clears to set up an orientation and training

Interview Questions
    • what would you do if a customer came up to you and was just absolutely livid   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

Applied for position on Monday. They called about an hour later but it went to voicemail because my phone had to charge. Called them back the next day and they told me to go to an group interview. Went to group interview. There were at least 9-10 people(including me of course). All I know is that we did some kind of talent thing, did a sales pitch for a toy. Then, a few got called for an interview. Unfortunately, me and 4 other people didn't make it to the second round. Said that they may call back next month, but I doubt it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mentor, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mentor, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

I applied as an assembler September 29th, 2014. October 6th I got a phone call asking if I wanted to come in for a group interview. I had no idea what a group interview was because I don't have any previous work experience, so I decided to look up interviews on here to learn about it. Today, October 10th I went in for this group interview from 2-4. I showed up early to look around the store. And when it was time for the interview only 3/6 showed up including me. Both were male in their thirties and I'm 18 and female, I kind of felt like I was maybe in the wrong place just because of the people I was with. But they took us to the break room and decided to just tell us about the job and do one on one interviews instead of what they usually do since there was only 3 of us. The questions weren't really unexpected and the staff was really welcoming and friendly. They're doing a background check so I will hear from them soon on whether or not I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose to apply at toys r us?   View Answer