Toys ''R'' Us Seasonal Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2014

2.1

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

First we wrote our names on a sticker and then we had to introduce ourselves to a partner. Afterwards we built stuff with Lego blocks and had to sell it. Then we each had individual products to sell to the interviewers. Overall a fun time and makes you forget it was an interview. We had one-on-ones afterwards to go over availability and a few questions about experience. Really fun and would love to have all interviews like this in the future!

Other Interview Reviews for Toys ''R'' Us

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

Applied for position on Monday. They called about an hour later but it went to voicemail because my phone had to charge. Called them back the next day and they told me to go to an group interview. Went to group interview. There were at least 9-10 people(including me of course). All I know is that we did some kind of talent thing, did a sales pitch for a toy. Then, a few got called for an interview. Unfortunately, me and 4 other people didn't make it to the second round. Said that they may call back next month, but I doubt it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mentor, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mentor, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

I applied as an assembler September 29th, 2014. October 6th I got a phone call asking if I wanted to come in for a group interview. I had no idea what a group interview was because I don't have any previous work experience, so I decided to look up interviews on here to learn about it. Today, October 10th I went in for this group interview from 2-4. I showed up early to look around the store. And when it was time for the interview only 3/6 showed up including me. Both were male in their thirties and I'm 18 and female, I kind of felt like I was maybe in the wrong place just because of the people I was with. But they took us to the break room and decided to just tell us about the job and do one on one interviews instead of what they usually do since there was only 3 of us. The questions weren't really unexpected and the staff was really welcoming and friendly. They're doing a background check so I will hear from them soon on whether or not I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose to apply at toys r us?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

I applied online for the seasonal sales associate. Then about a week later I received a phone call from HR setting up a group interview two days from when she called. I already had some experience with group interviews so I wasn't as nervous. The day of the interview I got there about 15 minutes early. I was taken to the employee break room and waited to be interviewed. There was a total of 4 people in the group interview including myself. As the interview started the interviewer told us her name job title and he favorite character as she was growing up. Right off the back she was very friendly made everyone very comfortable. Then we went around the room and everyone shared a little about there self and what there favorite character was growing up. After that there was random toys sitting against a wall she had us pick one and told the group to explain what we picked who it's for and what it does. Then after that was over she brought out two containers filled with building blocks she had us as a group build a toy that we would use to sell in the store what age range it would be for how much it would costs and a name for it. Shortly after one person out of the group had to explain it to her. After that was done she asked us why we wanted to work at toys r us and we answered one by one. Then she asked if anyone had any questions. Then the interview was over. Is only about 45mins long. About an hour n a half later I got a call for a second interview which is tomorrow with the assistant manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2014.

I submitted an online application and received a call two days later asking me to come in for the group interview. The interview was casual (I wore a dress & flats, one guy wore a t shirt & jeans but that isn't the best idea), I arrived 20 minutes early so they had me go walk around the store. After that I returned to the area I initially checked in and HR took my group back - we had 10 people total.

Once everyone had sat down the manager & the HR rep asked us to say our names, a little about ourselves, and our favorite childhood toy. Our first task was to get in a group and build a toy out of blocks, we then had to come up with a name, price, and one person in the group presented it. We then were instructed to go to a shopping cart and pick out a toy, then we had to sell that toy to the person next to us (be sure to include the age range, whether or not it needs batteries, and mention something about their rewards program if you can). After that they had us read the birthday script, where they announce over the intercom that one of the kids in the store is celebrating their birthday. Finally they went around and asked each person one specific question, the question I was asked was "What does good work ethic mean to you?", which was fairly easy to answer.

The HR rep & manager then stepped out to discuss everyone and they called us each out one by one to ask any leftover questions they had, then we were told we would receive a call/email within the next hour to let us know. I was the last person to be called and I was offered the job on the spot, overall it was a fun interview. If you can just maintain an upbeat attitude and demonstrate good teamwork skills, you'll get the job - I am fairly shy and had no experience.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation needed - we will be paid minimum wage and that is completely fine with me.

Sales Associate - Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elk Grove, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elk Grove, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2014.

I applied online, about a week later a member of the HR department called. I was asked 3 canned questions that followed TRU's “R” Commitments - I recommend you review the corporate site. After answering these questions an interview was set up for the following week.

On the day of the interview I arrived early and took the opportunity to walk around the store and watch the interactions of the staff. I introduced myself to a front end person and was directed to the employee break room. One by one other candidates arrived. The group interview was scheduled to begin at 11, at 11:01 the HR Person entered the room and broke the ice with some antidotes and explained a little about the position. The HRP carried 10 packets, each packet contained a hard copy of our applications. We were asked us to stand and introduce ourselves as our names were called. We were about to begin a group exercise when a final candidate arrived, the HRP glanced at the clock and mentioned again the responsibilities of the position and stressed how critical arriving on time is to the position (I strongly recommend that if you can't be early or on time at least call).

We were told to make a sales presentation using an object that we carried on our person...a pen, a purse, eye glasses and keys were used. We were then asked to do an impression of our favorite movie/cartoon character. Two of the candidates were very unprepared and stumbled terribly during these exercises. We were told to relax and wait to be called individually into a small adjacent office for one on one interviews with the HRP. The first two to be interviewed were the two unprepared candidates...Coincidence?? Maybe.

As we waited to be called into the back office, a manager came in pretending to be on a break. He watched a video on his phone and casually joined in on the conversations. Although he answered direct questions about the store and the position, I left with too much information about past professors who just didn't understand him, his superior intellect, incredible GPA and how all that related to his dislike of the alumni association. If he was truly on a break then we gained a little incite to the job. If he was part of the interview process I'm very disappointed.

The one on one with the HR person was very casual and informal. Standard interview questions were followed by specifics about my application and job history. Availability was confirmed and I was asked if I had any issues with drug or background tests, nothing unexpected. The interview concluded with a commitment from the HRP to call with a yes or no decision within 3 or 4 days. The interview was yesterday, I'm standing by for that phone call.

It was a very pleasant experience. One of the best, most enjoyable interviews i can remember.

Interview Questions
    • Thanks to glassdoor, nothing was unexpected. TRU follows a cookie cutter interview process.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2014.

Filled out the application online Thursday, and received a call Monday to come in for a group interview Tuesday morning. There were 5 other people there for a total of six and we met with the Store Manager and the HR Manager. They had us introduce our selves and say what our favorite toy was and why we'd like to work at the store. Then they had us get into pairs and create a toy out of legos and then someone from the group would give a sales pitch for the toy. After that we were told to go out into the store and pick out a toy that we would then offer a sales pitch for that toy. After that was done we had time to ask questions and were told we would be called that week if they wanted to do a second one on one interview. I received a call two days after my group interview to come in the next day. Since I was a returning seasonal member the store manager just talked with me for a few minutes and offered me my position again.

Interview Questions
    • "Build a toy out of Legos and then pitch it to the group." I'm not super great at creating things so this was challenging for me, but I was able to have a decent pitch.   Answer Question
    Since it's a seasonal position there was not much room for negotiation other than what you would like your schedule to be.

Group interview

Interview Questions
    • Go out to the sales floor, pick an item and sell it to the fellow interviewees   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

I applied online and I don't remember how long it took to get back to me but I had a group interview. I actually missed the first one and they were kind enough to schedule a second one for the following day. I must have wowed them. The questions were good and to be honest, a couple fairly tricky ones. The room had good energy.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a task that you started doing and notice you weren't going to finsh before your shift was over, what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2013.

I just got out of an interview today. I applied a week ago online and got called in for a group interview. The online process was straight forward, it just takes a lot of time to complete. In the initial stages of the online application were basic questions about yourself and past work experience. Then you will be asked an assessment about yourself and scenarios that might happen in the store dealing with customers. This would take you around 45 mins. I waited a week and thought I was kicked off the list because I believed I did really bad on the assessment.
        The store HR representative called me on Friday and asked me to come in for a group interview on Monday at 1:30PM. I was a part of the last group of applicants they were gonna call.
         To prepare myself I went on glassdoor and studied all the tips that others have posted. Prepared to sell a toy or something of my belonging. Prepared myself to answer all the possible interview questions. I was very nervous on the day of the interview.
         I went in 30mins early to scan around the store and look for the toy I prepared for in case they asked us to head out and pick out the toy. Once I felt calm and ready, I asked for the interview location and headed in. We were told to wait in the break room. There were a total of 8 candidates who came in for an interview. The HR manager brought in a bucket of toys. We were told to introduce ourselves, what our favorite toy was and was asked to pick a toy from the basket at random. If the basket has not come to you yet, scan it really quick before just grabbing anything. One of the other candidate just grabbed a random Barney statue and had a hard time pitching it to the HR manager and the store manager who later joined us.
         I picked up a foam football and pitched its age group, more active life for the kid and under $10. It was much easier to pitch and it will not count against you since there really is not much to say about a football. Once every one went, the manager talked a little about our roles and as a seasonal sales associate we can become permanent if we show we want to work there.
        The HR manager and Store manager left the room and we were told they would call us in one by one to interview us. After a few questions, I was offered the job. I accepted and was told to wait for a background checkup and they would call me the coming Wednesday. A great and fun interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected question, very straightforward. The difficult part in the process would be pitching the sale and thinking on your feet.   Answer Question
    None