Toys ''R'' Us

29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2013.

Interview Details – Started with a group interview, there were at least 8 of us. An item that we were to sell was placed in front of us and we were asked to describe it's features and sell it to a customer. Then in the next round, we each had individual interview time. I was asked a number of questions about who I admire, what's the most difficult situation you've encountered at work and how did you handle it. They told us we would be told within a week but I was told at the conclusion of the process by the interviewer that I had a good shot and they liked me for a permanent position rather than a seasonal one.

Interview Question – Being asked who I admired was a question I'd never been asked in an interview and caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation. I was told what my hourly wage would be and was offered a permanent position to start instead of the seasonal position I had interviewed for.

Interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us

Interview Details – Group interview

Interview Question – Go out to the sales floor, pick an item and sell it to the fellow interviewees   Answer Question

Omaha, NE

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied on a Sunday, got a call that next Monday, for an interview on tuesday, to tell i was starting on Wednesday. It was all very fast, the HR leader, along with one of the GM's interviewed me, basiccally they just asked me standard interview questions, then told me to sell them a box of crayons, and then they hired me.

Interview Question – How you compare yourself to other sellers and why you would be better   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was all pre-set up but the hours were prety flexible

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seasonal Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – I applied online and I don't remember how long it took to get back to me but I had a group interview. I actually missed the first one and they were kind enough to schedule a second one for the following day. I must have wowed them. The questions were good and to be honest, a couple fairly tricky ones. The room had good energy.

Interview Question – If you had a task that you started doing and notice you weren't going to finsh before your shift was over, what would you do?   Answer Question

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2013.

Interview Details – applied online received a phone call 2 days later went in the next day for a group interview. The interview took about 2 1/2 hours. Hired the next day and had orientation the day after that. it was a very fast process.
in the interview we introduced ourselves and talked about our past employment. then we had to go into the store and find a toy to bring back and make a commercial about the product. After that, the HR manager brought out some product for us to sell to her. After all that the hiring manager interview us one on one and she let you know if they would be in contact.

Interview Question – the most unexpected thing they did was sell a product to them other then that they just ask normal question to get a feel for your personality.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – 8.25

Hawthorne, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2013.

Interview Details – I just got out of an interview today. I applied a week ago online and got called in for a group interview. The online process was straight forward, it just takes a lot of time to complete. In the initial stages of the online application were basic questions about yourself and past work experience. Then you will be asked an assessment about yourself and scenarios that might happen in the store dealing with customers. This would take you around 45 mins. I waited a week and thought I was kicked off the list because I believed I did really bad on the assessment.
    The store HR representative called me on Friday and asked me to come in for a group interview on Monday at 1:30PM. I was a part of the last group of applicants they were gonna call.
     To prepare myself I went on glassdoor and studied all the tips that others have posted. Prepared to sell a toy or something of my belonging. Prepared myself to answer all the possible interview questions. I was very nervous on the day of the interview.
     I went in 30mins early to scan around the store and look for the toy I prepared for in case they asked us to head out and pick out the toy. Once I felt calm and ready, I asked for the interview location and headed in. We were told to wait in the break room. There were a total of 8 candidates who came in for an interview. The HR manager brought in a bucket of toys. We were told to introduce ourselves, what our favorite toy was and was asked to pick a toy from the basket at random. If the basket has not come to you yet, scan it really quick before just grabbing anything. One of the other candidate just grabbed a random Barney statue and had a hard time pitching it to the HR manager and the store manager who later joined us.
     I picked up a foam football and pitched its age group, more active life for the kid and under $10. It was much easier to pitch and it will not count against you since there really is not much to say about a football. Once every one went, the manager talked a little about our roles and as a seasonal sales associate we can become permanent if we show we want to work there.
    The HR manager and Store manager left the room and we were told they would call us in one by one to interview us. After a few questions, I was offered the job. I accepted and was told to wait for a background checkup and they would call me the coming Wednesday. A great and fun interview experience.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected question, very straightforward. The difficult part in the process would be pitching the sale and thinking on your feet.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Very Easy Interview

Ontario, CA

Interview Details – I applied online and after a week received a call from the HR manager. During the phone call she asked me a series of questions which I said yes to and afterwards she gave me an interview time and date. I arrived at the interview 15 minutes early and there were at least 5 of us. After waiting 10-15 minutes we were told to wait in the break room where the HR manager was. During the interview process, 2 people arrived 20 minutes late and the manager let it slide which shocked me. Anyways, we were asked what was our favorite toy, why and to tell a little bit about yourself. Then the manager told us her story, the work environment and policies. Afterwards we were supposed to build things with legos but the manager decided to skip that and instead told us to grab a small toy from the store and sell it to someone in the room. Then we were told that she'll call those who were hired in a few days and after she started calling us to do 1-1 interviews. At the 1-1 interview, she asked how did we thought of the group interview and the availability. I had my interview on Friday and received a call on Monday that my background check cleared, i was hired and to go to orientation the following day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation because prior to the interview process, I was informed of the hourly pay and etc during the phone interview.

Seasonal Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

Interview Details – I literally just got out of my interview 20 mins ago so this is raw information. I went to Toys R Us 30 mins early because I was reading on here you have to pick an item and sell it to the group of people being interviewed, but instead I was approached by my friend who works there so I asked him about his interview process and he said you have to sell something WITH YOU. I was a little relieved because I always carry my DS around so I went to Guest Services and told her I was here for an interview and she pointed me in the direction I was to go. Inside there were already 2 guys so I tried to talk to them to loosen up a bit then more people started coming and at about 12 there were 13 of us at the table. Finally the HR Manager comes out of the room next to us and introduces herself. The first activity we did was introduce ourselves, second we had to read the R Rewards both Rewards card and Credit Card then we each had to sell a toy given to us along with trying to get the customer to sign up for a rewards card, the third activity was interviewing the person next to us which was fun then we had to tell why that person should be hired, and the last activity we did was answer the questions she asked us one at a time. Overall I don't think I did so well but I'm not going to be too negative about it. I know for sure 2 people that were there are sure to get the job!

Interview Question – Selling the item and offering the rewards.
"Why kind of manager do you look for?"
  View Answer

Riverside, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call to come in for an interview about a week later. I had a group interview where they had us make something out of these connecting block toys and sell it to them (as a group). We then had to go out to the sales floor and pick an item to sell to them. They gave us more information about the job and then told us they would call the next day if they were interested in a one on one interview. I got a call from them and came in the next day for my one on one. They asked me the basic questions about what I was most proud of, why they should choose me, etc. It seemed to go very well, they made me feel comfortable and it was a very fun interview. They told me they would be making calls by five that evening and I never received a call so I was not offered a position.

Interview Question – What you are most proud of, why they should choose you, how you would be able to handle stressful situations   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call back in about 3 days. I was told it would be a group interview. On the day of the interview, i think there had to be about 10 of us. The hiring manager brought us all to this room downstairs where we all sat at a round table. Next we all made a name tag. They wanted you to be as creative as possible when making your name tag so that they can see your personality. We then went around the table and said our name and a word that described us that started with the first letter of our name. This was somewhat of an ice breaker. Once we did that we was then put into three groups of three and was told we had to build a toy out of legos and present it to the group. They want you to be energized. Last we had to sell one of our own items from our bag. Once all of that was done, they called everyone one by one to move on to 1:1 interviews. Everyone does not make the cut. I got the job on the spot and just had to pass a background check. It was fairly easy and fun.

Interview Question – The most difficult thing was being able to build the toy out of legos.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Toys ''R'' Us

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Toys ''R'' Us Seasonal Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by Toys ''R'' Us employees and interview candidates.