Toys ''R'' Us

Average Difficulty
16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Team Member

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Filled out application in season and was called back in a couple of days. Some people in my group were wearing t shirts and jeans, they did not get hired. Interview consists of group setting with many questions about previous work experiences and situations eg "Tell me about a time you had to deal with a disgruntled customer." Had to go to the sales floor and pick an item to sell to the interviewer. Afterwards the general manager calls you one by one into another room to ask you many of the same questions you just answered to the interviewing manager. Offered me a job and did the background check, heard back in 2 weeks and began work.

Interview Question – Be ready to sell an item and don't pick something you cannot talk at length about.   View Answer

Interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us

Interview Details – Process took several weeks. Spoke with the Store Manager and was encouraged to apply. Online application includes a personality assessment to weed out the riff-raff. Called the hiring manager every now and then to check on the status of application. Was eventually invited to a group interview event, which was pretty entertaining. Activities include picking a toy of your choice to pitch to your fellow interviewees, building a small toy out of Lego blocks and selling it to the group, and interviewing each other with general questions. Each person was taken one-by-one for a private interview with the hiring manager and a second manager-on-duty. Basic interview questions were asked, along with a few personal questions. Fairly easy and laid-back.

Two days later was called and offered a job. After the background check cleared (another week later), was called in for orientation.

Interview Question – Not so much a question, but rather the task of taking an unfamiliar toy, studying it for a few minutes, and then trying to sell it to the entire interview group.   View Answer

Team Member

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Group Interview,
One on One with store manager

Interview Question – Tell me why should I hire you   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Team Member

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2013.

Interview Details – Alright, how ya doing? So I did the application online and the next week they called me in for an interview for the next week. my interview WAS NOT a group interview, possibly because this Toys R Us was an outlet and not a full store. So I went there and the interviewer took me into a back room, had me sit on a chair while she stood at the door, asking me questions just about the work itself, making sure I knew this as a fast pace enviorment in a store that was frequented by people from around the world.due to this she asked me if Iknew another language. she said she had to talk with the other manager to make he final decision. hoping i got this jb because it looks like alot of challenge, ,constant work, and great fun. Send a Thank You Note to your interviewer~!

Interview Question – Do you Speak Another Language?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None

Livingston, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2012.

Interview Details – Apply online, receive a phone call interview and schedule a group interview. Group interview process (1-3 hours long) consist of "how to sell a product that you yourself created and pitch it" to the HR. Go over additional store products such as rewards card and store credit card features, services like buyer's protection plan and layaway. You will be briefly tested on these after you go over them. Watch a video on safety and hazard control, morals and values or the company, and customer service. If there's time quick walk through of the store and work stations. Finally an one on one interview with the HR or Store Manager.

Interview Question – During the Group or One on One interviews, typical questions: What would you do if a customer was upset with your service, Tell me how you got through a difficult situation...etc
Past work experience and How will you be a great asset to this company?
  Answer Question

Team Member

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call for a group interview within a week. About 13 people being interviewed at the same time: asked us to introduce ourselves, sell a toy to the group, etc. Then short individual one on ones.

Interview Question – Who is the most demanding person in your life and why?   Answer Question

Cherry Hill, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called in for a group interview about four days later. After the group interview was individual ones, so the entire process took over three hours. We were asked to interview and introduce the person next to us, and then select a toy from off the shelves try to sell it.

Interview Question – How would we try to sell someone batteries.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. $8.30, take it or leave it.

Rome, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details – Application is filled out online, after that the application sit around for up to 90 days in the Toys R Us system until a position opens, when one does the HR Representative will only call in people for interviews who passed the "morality" section of the application, which is basically a test to see if you fit the company culture. Once they call you, you have one interview at which point the manager and the HR Rep will decide together who to hire. Generally, outside of seasonal employees, it is not what you know or your experience, but who you know. Nepotism is a common practice, which ends up being pretty detrimental to the work environment.

Interview Question – None, very relaxed interview, it's a minimum wage job, they basically just want to see if you are a person who would fit in and that you didn't lie on your application.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Its a minimum wage job, there is no negotiation.

Merrillville, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was fun and exciting. I was asked to introduce myself and tell about my favorite toy (either childhood or current). We built something with Legos in a group of two or three and also did two mock sales pitches with real product. Some of the information about the job was lacking, but overall, it was one of the best interview processes I've had.

Interview Question – Sales pitch for a real product.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really wasn't one. Either I wanted the job for the hourly rate they were offering or I didn't.

Dunwoody, GA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in February 2011.

Interview Details – I think the only reason i got hired for this job is because i went directly to the store to which i applied and i demonstrated that i really wanted this job. She (the hr) immediately sat down and took a look at my application and told me my availability is perfect and invited me to a group interview the following friday morning. There were about 5 other people and a couple people that never showed. Make sure you are early because they will tell you to go home if you are late. First we introduce ourselves... Make sure you go first because they like peoople who put themselves out. Be positive, energetic, and outgoing. Then they ask you to choose out something from the store and sell it. - but therre is a twist. Once you choose something to sell they make you switch the item with another person. It is SO nervewrecking, at least for me.and they want you to approach guests with the question "what can i help you find today?" instead of "can i help you find anything today?".. Then, they talk about r us values and the star system... And then do a 1 on 1... More like 2 on 1 with you and wont tell you if you are hired or not. I got a call about a month later with an offer.....

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for babies r us? What makes you a good candidate?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – . Oh and dont negotiate because i saw on the interview checklist that if they dont accept offer then you are automaticaly taken off considedration for hire

Interviews for Top Jobs at Toys ''R'' Us

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Toys ''R'' Us Team Member interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Toys ''R'' Us employees and interview candidates.