Tractenberg & Co.

Tractenberg & Co. Interview Questions

Updated Jan 17, 2015
Updated Jan 17, 2015

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Tractenberg & Co.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Tractenberg & Co. in January 2015.

I applied on LinkedIn, and was invited for an interview by the VP a few days later.

The VP rescheduled the time of our interview. She was 30 minutes late for the interview when I arrived (I understand she was probably super busy - welcome to the world of public relations).

I ended up meeting with the actual account executive I'd potentially be replacing.

The account executive was confused about my resume, didn't think I had enough public relations experience, asked me why I wanted to be in public relations and didn't seem to believe I could do the job.

This was a former Columbia College student who was interviewing me, so I was not surprised by her statements. I don't think students get roles at Corporate Fortune 500 PR agencies without showing they have a true interest, the skills and a great chance of making it in the field. The account executive only had press experience in small companies, with barely any experiences outside of public relations and writing. She hadn't even stepped foot into a NYC fashion magazine (Based on her LinkedIn), yet she's telling me I haven't been in NYC long enough to fulfill the needs of this role. I laughed inside when she said that. All I could think about was saying "Where have you worked, and who do you know professionally?"

I did not take anything she said about my experience into account - nor was I offended or caught off guard by her feedback (Typical comments by a Columbia College alumni).

I think my work experience and how I've strategized the roles I've chosen, spoke highly that I could do the account executive role without a full two years of public relations experience, at a PR company.

After the interview, I asked if I could meet with the VP. I met with the VP for 5 minutes and she couldn't have seemed less interested in what I had to say.

My thoughts on the whole experience: It is very clear that Tractenberg & Co. have some major hiring problems. All you have to do is look on their Glassdoor reviews, and see all of the mind boggling complaints from past and current employees (Along with their ridiculous grammatical errors - Which sometimes makes you question what the VP's look for in a hire to help them with their clients).

With all that being said, both the account executive and VP were still very nice and professional when I met them. I'm just not sure the team knows how to properly hire the right entry-level and mid-level executives for these very important roles. Turn over is clearly high. They hire the wrong people, and reject the right people for the job.

Advice to Tractenberg: Hire talented people who can contribute to your clients long-term goals. Hire employees who understand the industry expectations, have gained experiences in different parts of the corporate and fashion industry, can come to work enthusiastic and flexible, can handle the long hours and demands, can handle difficult personalities, can bring extra knowledge to the team, and can at least write a paragraph without consistent grammatical errors.

Interview Questions
    • What editors do you know personally and professionally?

I thought this question was a little inappropriate and not necessary. I don't name drop industry people (Especially editors) in interviews without the editor's or executive's permission. I think it's wrong and unethical. Nevertheless, I decided to be flexible this time around and name drop a few - Not major important editors who deserve top notch confidentiality.

View Answer

AAE Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Tractenberg & Co..

I applied through the generic contact email and was called in for an interview.

Assistant Interview

My interview was 10 minutes long and I was asked questions about what magazines I read, favorite beauty products, etc.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked why I liked certain magazines and about their editorials.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiating.

Intern Interview

Applied through my career center and was contacted a few weeks later for an interview. Went to their office and met with a Senior Director who asked about why I was interested in PR and what I would bring to the company.

Assistant Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tractenberg & Co. in May 2012.

Asked me something I messed up at my last job.

Account Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Tractenberg & Co. in September 2010.

Interviewing was an easy process. I interviewed with my account director at the time and then started three days later. Paperwork was incredibly easy to fill out and kickstarted working ASAP/

Interview Questions
    • At the time, it was where do you see yourself in five years.   Answer Question
    Easy.

Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Tractenberg & Co..

Found the job through networking as did most people I knew.The "interview" was just a phone call with the vice-president who discussed the opportunity. She was very friendly and enthusiastic on the phone.

no negotiation