Tractor Supply

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tractor Supply.

Interview Details – Applied and interviewed first with the DM then did an interview with a recruiter. No surprise questions. I like the fact they hire people that live the lifestyle.

Interview Question – No surprises, as I said it is nice they look for people who live the Out Here Lifestyle.   Answer Question

Bernalillo, NM

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Tractor Supply in May 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was much as others here have already detailed it; there is an initial phone interview followed by a two person panel interview.The phone interview asks you a lot of standard interview questions such as situations you've been in previously, your overall experience, and what you're looking for in a job. After that I sat down with the district and store manager and was asked similar questions about my current job and past experiences. Once you receive an offer of employment they have a very convenient online portal for filling out paperwork and downloading a copy of their employee handbook.

Interview Question – Please tell us what you know about Tractor Supply?   View Answer

Commerce, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Tractor Supply in January 2013.

Interview Details – The interviewing process was over them phone, its lasted around an 30-45 minutes. The district manager seemed distracted while interviewing, I would think you would/could make time to fully focus on my answers as much as possible.

Interview Question – It wasn't a difficult interview just rather aggravating listening to her yell and instruct others while interviewing me.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Tractor Supply.

Interview Details – Store manager is very rude and hateful to all customers and during interview process.First off called me a lier saying the interview was at 1:30 but she clearly told me 1:00. Kept glancing at store security monitor and talking to other person setting in on interview about what store employees were doing. Seemed intimidated by my background, education and experience. The manager does not know what a smile is or did she understand any of my answers to the questions which where all agriculture related. The whole interview process shows me the manager has zero people skills, absolutely no agriculture background and does not belong in this type of retail store.

Interview Question – All of the questions were irrelevant about working at Tractor Supply   Answer Question

Chesapeake, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tractor Supply in December 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewed with recruiter by phone, then interviewed with store manager in person, and my last interview was with the district manager in person.

Interview Question – Most difficult question was from the recruiter about my knowledge of a P&L.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Lockport, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Tractor Supply in January 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewed by a panel of 4. All stone faced. Stressful from the start. Asked a series of routine questions, eg: Your greatest accomplishment, etc. and some bizarre questions like, how would you handle an employee that didn't talk much, and what would people say about you at your funeral.
Two of the panel members said nothing and took notes throughout the 45 minute interview.
I was not offered the position, and frankly, I'm relieved.

Interview Question – What would people say about you at your funeral?   View Answer

Anniston, AL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tractor Supply in June 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online got a call 2 weeks later to schedule interview for that day. Interview was about an hour and was straightforward with what they wanted and expected. Asked questions in regards to experience and skills. Discussed pay and work schedule. Told me he liked me and next step was interview with dm in the mean time he would call my references and let me know asap.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to deal with an angry customer? What did you do?   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Tractor Supply in August 2009.

Interview Details – Walked into local store and found assistant manager was resigning in 2 weeks. Filled out application and left it with store manager. Was called for interview 1 week later. Interviewed by store manager using structured interview packet. Standard questions re work experience, previous management positions, responsibilities, etc. Questions related to finacials, people, customer service, problem solving, etc. Store manager called a few days later to set up interview with District Manager. More detailed interview with DM. Discussed details of previous employment. Why I wanted to work for company? Future plans...
DM called 1 week later to set up interview with Regional Manager who conducted phone interview. RM asked same questions and was very non committal. Store manager called 1 week later and offerred me the job. Initial offer was insulting but finally came up to an accepable rate of pay after he talked to the DM. I took a sustantial cut in pay even then but was looking for the better hours and working conditions this job affords.

Interview Questions

• You are called to the register to find an angry customer demanding to speak to a manager about an item she is trying to return. She has no receipt but says she purchased the item a few days earlier and now wants to return it for a cash refund. The cashier has already explained that cash refunds can only be made with original receipt within 30 days of purchase. The item costs $9.50. What would you do? Why?   View Answer
  • What is the single most controllable expense on the P&L?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation above established pay range. Pay scale is average to slightly below average for this area. I am nearing retirement and am financially secure. Money is not my primary motivation. Hours are favorable to family.

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Tractor Supply in June 2011.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview, then interview with district manager and finally store manager, drug screen and background check. Be real, don't put up a front. If you're not willing to work hard don't waste their time. TSC's values are pretty self explanatory: Ethics, Respect, Balance, Winning Attitude, Communication, Development, Teamwork, Change (embrace it), Initiative, Accountability. Know these when they ask you what you know about TSC and know that unlike everywhere else you've interviewed, TSC lives by them.If you aren't willing or able to live by them, TSC is not the career for you. Some hardware, equine or other type of rural general knowledge helpful. Clothing experience may also be helpful.

Interview Question – What if any weak points do you have?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Very Difficult Interview

Assistant Store Manager Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Tractor Supply in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was brought into a room told to sit in the chair on one side of the table. Three interviewers sat on the other. The questions were gruleing and went on for an hour. It felt like I was being interigated rather than interviewed.Questions came in rapid sucession for an entire hour with little to no time to think.

Interview Question – What is a message you had to deliver that went against your beliefs.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Tractor Supply

Worked for Tractor Supply? Contribute to the Community!

Tractor Supply Videos

Tractor Supply – Why Work for Us?

Don’t let our name fool you. Sure, we may know a thing or two about tractors. But at Tractor Supply Company, it’s far from our only specialty. Our loyal customers come to us for expertise, advice, and thousands of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tractor Supply Assistant Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Tractor Supply employees and interview candidates.