Trader Joe's Interview Questions in California

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

had a first interview with mate. Was very casual. Not really hard questions, but have to be prepared. They read the questions off a card so I don't think these are their own personal questions, but a guideline of sorts. Just act calm, casual and honest. Second interview with captain went well. Was offered the job after five minutes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiation, but told me there w as room for a pay raise in the future.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Interview

I interviewed with a senior manager. The process was relatively simple and straightforward. I only had one interview and the process took about 3 weeks in total. The manager was straightforward and clear about my expectations. Because I was only part-time, management was flexible regarding my schedule.

Interview Questions

• If I encountered a problem or disagreement with a customer, how would I handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Pasadena, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

i dropped off my application in person,a mate took me aside and spoke with me ,it was very comfortable , and said i should here from them within two weeks but to keep checking in due to alot of applications, he called me the next day to set up interview

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I dropped off the application. They asked me 3 questions up front. Then gave me a card with their name and number on it. I got a letter in 3 weeks saying i got rejected.

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's (Culver City, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Turned in application. Waited for a manager to speak to me to say a brief interview I guess just to see if I am worthy to work there. Shorthanded me a card and said give them two weeks to call me. If I don't hear from them by then, give them a call to follow up

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Dropped off the application in person, I was unable to see a captain so I spoke to a crew member. He asked me the question below and said I would get a call in about a week. I never got a call back which surprised me as I have excellent customer service skills.

Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Temecula, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I had 3 interviews. The first one was with a mate, and the second was with a captain. The last one was with the regional manager and was pretty bland and short, but the first 2 were about 15 minutes and went great. I was so confident I was going to get hired. They look for personality and good work ethic. They asked me things like "Why Trader Joe's?" "What products do you like?" "If I were to call your boss, what would he say about you?"I thought it was a bit much to have 3 entire interviews just to work at a grocery store. The whole process really wasn't hard though. They basically have a conversation with you and they do ask you some questions here and there where you need to come up with a good answer fast. Things like "What are your weaknesses?" "Why should we hire you out of all the other applicants?".

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Handed in my application at the store I desired to work at, got asked if I were given a gift card to Trader Joe's, what items I would buy. He explained to me how the application process goes and to expect a response in 3-4 weeks. Got a response in about 1 week.

Interview Questions

• If we gave you a gift card right now, what are some items you would buy?   Answer Question

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Trader Joe's (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Trader Joe's has hourly staff around their corporate office come in part time to act as recruiters. There's only a handful of people that do it and they do not hire during their busy season of end of August through January so it can take a really, really long time if you apply during that time frame. I applied in August and did not get a call back until February. I did a phone interview and then went into a store and had a sit down interview with the First mate (general manager). I did not make it past that point but the next step would have been interviewing with an area director. They also do not hire GMs off the street - they only promote GMs from within and the quickest time frame would be a 12 month fast tracked position. They have so many applicants that unless you have at least 5+ plus direct grocery store management experience they wont even really consider you.

Interview Questions

• Describe your favorite TJ products- tell me some recipes you like to cook with our products. What would you team say you need to work on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Daly City, CA).

Interview

Only needed one interview because of a referral from a current employee. Interview lasted 40 minutes, which is decent considering I didn't have to come back for any more interviews. Be yourself and show your positivity to be a part of a growing company! Availability is also important, so make sure that you lay out this information.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Wage was not negotiable.