Trader Joe's

2.2

48 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Only needed one interview because of a referral from a current employee. Interview lasted 40 minutes, which is decent considering I didn't have to come back for any more interviews. Be yourself and show your positivity to be a part of a growing company!

Availability is also important, so make sure that you lay out this information.

Wage was not negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

I turned in an application in person and the got a call the next week to come in for an interview. It was very professional yet cheerful and relaxed, with one crew member and a Mate. Then I waited a few days and got called back to a second interview with the Manager. It was also laid back and pretty straight forward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Canada Flintridge, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Canada Flintridge, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's in June 2014.

Applied in person at a location I new didn't have an opening but I really like the location and wanted to drop off my resume and application downloaded from their website (they are always accepting applications), they took my application and asked the following questions;

1. Are you a regular customer of Trader Joe's, if so what are 3 favorite items and why are they your favorite?
    2. What your experience, how much do you know about the job?
    3. Have you ever used a mini pallet mover (I forget the name right now), how about the big pallet mover?

They said a lot of people want to work for Trader Joe's because it is a happy place but what's not always taken into account is all the physical work involved with stocking the store.

They asked to follow up with them every few weeks by phone to check if they have an opening and thats the end of our talk.

Section Leader/Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Crescenta, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Crescenta, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I first interviewed with a man and a women. They asked me about my experience and what kind of a worker I was. I was invited back for a second interview and a young man interviewed me. He basically asked the same kind of questions. It was very easy

Interview Questions
    • What kind of a store do you think Trader Joe's is?   View Answer
    They offered my $9.00 an hour but I received three $1.00 raises my first year with the company.

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

2 captain interviews and an interview with the regional VP. they asked a variety of challenging question but were pleasant and fair at all times. They also made me feel really relaxed which helps the process and helps them get the best answers from an interviewee.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me when you have had to deliver bad news to a team, how did you do this?   View Answer
    Straight forward. They recognized my value. They offered me a fair compensation package which I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

sit you down for two interviews and it's pretty basic. just be yourself. the first interview was with a full timer/mgmt and it was pretty basic as far as interviews go. nothing surprising. then the same when I was called back in to do the second interview with someone hire up at the store.

Interview Questions
    they started me at 9.50 but it made sense cuz within 3 months a raise was coming so id didn't really negotiate. thought it was fair but they will listen for sure and take what you negotiate into consideration

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2014.

I went to the Trader Joe's Website to search for job openings. I was happy to see that they want you to print out an application from their website and bring it into the store in person. A welcome change from all of these long tedious online application processes that rarely produce even a single call back.

I dressed nice and brought my application and my resume to the nearest store and approached the manager station and asked if I could submit an application. The employee was very nice and came out from behind the podium/mgr station and shook my hand. Asked me "So what makes you want to work for Trader Joe's" I told him I was a customer and that everyone here was very friendly and organized and that it seemed like a great place to work. He asked what are some of my favorite Trader Joe's products. I listed two or three items that I had bought there before. He looked at my application and resume and asked me a couple minor things about my past work experience. Then gave me his business card and told me they would review my app. and be in touch.

Six days later I got a call inviting me to come in for an interview the next day.

I arrived about 7 or 8 minutes early for the interview and was asked to wait for a few minutes. Pretty soon I was lead to the back of the store by the same person I met when I dropped off my app. We went thru a hallway that led to the outside behind the store where there were two chairs together and on chair opposite and facing the two. I was interviewed by the store's general manager and the person I applied with originally.

They asked "why Trader Joes?" "What are some of your favorite Trader Joe's products?" we talked about my previous jobs. They asked "what would you do to have fun while working here?" "what kinds of tasks do you expect to be doing while working here?" They said that friday, saturday, and sundays are by far the busiest days and that most staff should expect to work those days. They wanted to let me know that sometimes the hours varied and could go late into the night. I was asked what do I like to do outside of work, like hobbies or activities. Asked "what do you think would be the ideal job for you to do here?". They asked "how would your previous employer describe you as an employee?" They wanted to know if I had any questions for them.

Over all, I felt that the interview went VERY well. They told me that they would discuss the interview and review the application and resume and make a decision and would be in contact. It has been 8 days since my interview and I have not heard anything yet. I don't know if that is a bad sign or if they just take a long time to contact you. I really felt I did well in the interview and was kind of surprised after I didn't hear anything after the first 3 or 4 days. Now going on 8, I'm feeling less and less optimistic. We will see.

Interview Questions
    • I don't feel any of the questions were difficult or unexpected. I listed above all the questions they asked.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's in March 2014.

very easy and laid back interview. i interviewed with two people both times. they were very easy going. not too many questions. ask you do you want to work there. make sure your availibility is very open. they like someonne who is wiling to work whenever they need somebody. make sure you are very polite and well mannared

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's in September 2013.

I printed an application online and gave it to the Captain, he asked me this question "what do you want to be when you grow up?" I said, what do you mean, I am already grown up and I am a mom. I got a rejection letter a few days after dated in the same day. I went again to the store and gave another application and waited a week and a half before I got a call, interviewed by 2 mates, they were really nice and knows how to make you feel comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult , they were the same questions that were listed here, What do you know about trader joe's, How would your previous employer describe you?   Answer Question
    WHen I say yes, I have another interview today.. NO negotiation yet they told me they are offering around $10, how do I like that, I said there is always room for negotiation when the time comes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laguna Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laguna Hills, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

The interviews are basically a cake walk. Even when you walk in for the application they have one question for you "what is your favorite Trader Joe's item." It's pretty much a 1 on 1 meet and greet type process limited to 1 interview with the Store Manager.

Interview Questions
    • There really aren't any difficult questions. If they feel you have a great personality you're in. The company has a very laid back feel about. This includes the interview.   Answer Question