Trader Joe's

2.2

159 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied in person and got a interview 2 weeks later. On the 2nd interview they asked very unique questions "what do you like to do for fun? "What would you cook for me if I came over for dinner tonight? The interview was good but my schedule would not work with them. A manager Rachel is clearly in charge and wears the pants around the cary nc store. Beware of her.

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Crew Member Interview

I applied in person. They asked me right away"Why Trader Joe's?" I waited a few days, but no one call me. So I went to the store and asked what is the status of my application. I learned that the Captain has a lot of applications to review, and it may take him from two weeks to a month. So I'm waiting - has only been a week. I write this review only because I'm running out of access to Glassdoor term. As suggested by other reviewers , I will show up at the store regularly to be remembered, and that the staff saw that I care for this work.

Interview Questions
    • For now, I was asked only one question: Why Trader Joe's? I have not had an interview yet.   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2015.

I brought in my application on a Sunday and was asked to bring it back during the week because the store was so busy. When I did go back someone from the captain's desk asked me a few questions. A few days later I got a phone call asking me to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by two people at once and they were nice and made me feel comfortable. The next day they called to offer me the position starting at $11/hour.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer was upset about something?   Answer Question
    • What made you want to work at Trader Joe's?   Answer Question
    • What did you like about your previous job? What did you dislike?   Answer Question
    They told me what the starting wage would be when they offered me the position and I accepted it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2015.

The process took me approximately 3~5 days. I filled out an application on a Friday, and was asked to come in for an interview that upcoming Monday. A position was offered to me at the end of the interview, which I called to accept two days later.

The application itself was very basic, about two pages long and primarily giving information about myself and prior work experience. The interview reflected the warm and casual attitude I had come to expect during my years of shopping there; the other crew members I ran into introduced themselves to me, and the interview itself took place in the storeroom. The captain was very sweet, and it felt more like a friendly chat than an official interview. The time not spent going over my goals and future plans was focused on details of the job, such as the expectation of workers to be in on weekends, the varied workload, etc. I was offered a position on the spot, then called to accept not long after.

This was my first time interviewing for a job, and it was a very pleasant one. This particular Trader Joe's adheres to the same friendliness behind the scenes that the company boasts to their customers. However, there is an expectation that you are familiar with the store and its products when you walk through that door. I was asked a couple of times why I wanted to work there, and which products are my favourite. If you have passion for other people and are a fan of the store, you will do just fine. Just relax and be yourself!

Interview Questions
    • What are your favourite products?   View Answer
    • What are your goals, and how would this position help you achieve them?   View Answer
    • Why do you want to work at Trader Joe's?   View Answer
    The salary I offered was far higher than what I had gone in hoping for, and being a part-time position, there were no benefits. Be aware that this is retail, meaning the hours can be unpredictable and you will be expected to work the weekends.

Crew Member Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

When I dropped off the application, I had an in person five minute interview. I had another in person interview with two of the store managers that was about 30 minutes. They just asked general questions, nothing too difficult. They were really nice and made me feel really comfortable. Offered the job after the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary just expected everyone to be available to work whenever since its a retail job.   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate my way up to $15/hour which they said they don't typically offer that high.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I literally filled out an application and handed it in the same day. I received a call back two days later for an interview. I went in for my first interview and it went pretty smoothly. They made me feel comfortable. Three hours after my first interview I received a call back for my second interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions.
      Why do you want to work at Trader Joe's? What's your favorite product? What are your strengths? What motivates you? Describe yourself. What were some issues that you've had in your previous job? Have you received any criticisms from your previous job? What would your old co workers say about you?

View Answer

Crew Member Interview

Applied in person and got called about a month later. 15 minute interview with mid level manager. Asked to start the day after my interview. Not flexible on wages during interview process.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

They tell you that they will call you, but, most likely will not. However, if you contact them too often asking about the job, they won't hire you either, so it's all about finding a balance and being proactive. Years ago, they had a math test in the application which you had to pass in order to get hired. Also, you had to be able to lift a certain amount of weight to get hired. You may be able to negotiate your pay based on experience.
    If you get the job, be prepared to work most, if not all, weekends. Also, the hours can vary - one week you're coming in as early as 4 AM and the next you're leaving around midnight. Sometimes, depending on your availability, you'll have an early and a ate shift one after the other with only an 8 hour turn-around.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult/rude customer?   View Answer
    I was a teenager and didn't know I could negotiate. If I knew then what I know now, I would have asked for more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Only needed one interview because of a referral from a current employee. Interview lasted 40 minutes, which is decent considering I didn't have to come back for any more interviews. Be yourself and show your positivity to be a part of a growing company!

Availability is also important, so make sure that you lay out this information.

Wage was not negotiable.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

All the questions were similar to the ones listed here. No unexpected questions except that they asked me three times why I wanted to work at Trader Joe's.

My hiring process was very expedited and the manager was even surprised how fast I got to him. It was a good experience.

No negotation