Trader Joe's

Updated Nov 7, 2014

2.2

147 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

All the questions were similar to the ones listed here. No unexpected questions except that they asked me three times why I wanted to work at Trader Joe's.

My hiring process was very expedited and the manager was even surprised how fast I got to him. It was a good experience.

No negotation

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

1st) Print out the application online and hand in to the store.
    2nd) They schedule a first interview with -- in my case -- two "mates"/managers
    3rd) Interview with store captain

Interview Questions
    • It's really basic. Just know their values -- hint: "value" is their main value.   View Answer
    I gave them a range and they offered me the lower end of the range -- of course. No experience no negotiation -- especially since they are so concious about how they have the highest pay in the industry.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Walked in and turned in an application I printed out online and filled out. Spoke with a manager when I went to hand it in. They do a mini interview with you on the spot so dress appropriately.They ask you Why do you want to work at Trader Joes? What is your favorite item? Told me they would call with in 2 weeks or so. I called back a week or so later to check on the status of my app. they checked and told me it was still in process, but little did I know calling made them flag my app for an interview. I called back a few days later to check up again and they said they would like to bring me in for an interview. First interview with a Mate was fairly laid back. Asked me why trader joes, my favorite item( so have one already picked out) what would your co-workers have to say about your work ethic, what would your manager say about you, what you liked most/least about your last job, how do you deal with a difficult customer. Got a second interview with the Captain a few days later. Interview again was relaxed feeling asked me questions like what makes your customer service skills great? What did you like most/least about last job. Why trader joes? What would your last manager say about you? a few others I cant remember. Offered me a job right after the interview.
    Keep in mind it took me a long time to get this position. I applied about 3 times to a store and got a letter saying they were not hiring a little bit after and also applied to 2 other stores. be persistent and call or go in to check on your application even tho they said they would call you. It shows you really are interested. Just keep trying :)

Interview Questions
    • No questions I thought were out of the ordinary or really difficult   Answer Question
    Told me what they would pay me. Didnt negotiate. matched pay from my previous job that I was happy with.

Crew Member Interview

The hiring and interview process was quick, fun, and simple. I printed out an application online and I filled it out, then I turned it in at Trader Joe's. About a month later I received a call letting me know that they were starting their hiring process and that they'd like to interview me. I had two interviews and was offered a position.

I was moving..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's in October 2014.

I applied in person at one location.They will ask you 3 questions tops on the spot usually just why you want to work for trader joes, and what your favorite products are. The first time I went to the hiring manager and thought I made a great impression she told me she would definitely call me to set up an interview and never did. I didn't get discouraged since they always seem busy and I never called to check on my application. I applied again however this time I put extra effort into the application and even wrote a cover letter addressed to the hiring managers. I brought it to a different mate this time and called a week later to check on my application. A week and a half later received a phone call for an interview.

The first interview went great I definitely nailed it thanks to glassdoor I was fully prepared for every question asked and had no surprises. Just make sure you can talk about previous situations at jobs you have had as well as your strengths and weaknesses. Smile a lot and dress nicely. I was told by the Mate that she wanted me to "Meet" the captain next and was called about 1 week later for the second interview.

The second interview I thought went well there were some tougher questions but I never stalled and I thought I made a great impression. Apparently not, however because I was called the next day by a completely different mate telling me they had decided to go with someone else. I understand they don't give feedback but I felt a little disrespected that neither one of the people who interviewed me called me to give me the news, they passed the dirty work onto a different person. I was extremely disappointed because I felt like the perfect fit for the store and had done so much research and preparation for the job but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Looking back I guess I didn't make an impression enough on the captain for him to hire me, because the mate who interviewed me loved me and i'm sure I wouldn't of made it to the second interview if she didn't feel I was a good fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Trader Joe's in October 2014.

I carefully prepared for a casual interview after reading other interviews for Trader Joe's Crew Member on Glassdoor. Even though most people said the interview-on-the-spot was pleasant and very easy, I was nervous as I have not had to go through the interview process at all in the last 20 years. The jobs I have had were all introduced to me through friends and were not formal or typical of most jobs. I downloaded the application from the Trader Joe's website, filled it out and readied myself to be interviewed upon handing it in.

I had read sample interview questions, and had prepared a few answers, trying to not make them sound too scripted. I dressed nicely and walked into TJ's and headed straight up to the counter by the cash registers where the "Mates" hang out. There were 2 women there and I asked one "Who should I talk to about applying for a job?" She said "That would be me", and smiled. Then she asked if I had an application and I handed her mine plus 3 references stapled to the back. I had assumed we would go somewhere for the spontaneous interview, maybe in the back or at a table and chairs somewhere, but she conducted the brief interview right there from behind her counter as I stood on the other side. That made me feel a lot more at ease. The questions were exactly in line with what others had posted here. "Why Trader Joe's?", to which I responded "I like the interaction between Crew Members and customers. It seems like a fun, high energy place to work. Other places like Whole Foods you might stand around waiting for the crew members to stop talking to one another so that they might help you." "What's your favorite Trader Joe's product?" I said I liked the Cookie Butter with some Trader Joe's pretzels, The Hake fish in parchment paper, and Shephards Pie. "What have you been doing since your last job?", to which I replied that I was in a band that was helping supplement my income somewhat, and was doing backline tech at an instrument rental place here in Austin, TX. That was basically it, then she handed me a card and explained that if I hadn't heard anything within 2 weeks, feel free to give a call to the store and ask about my application. She also said that they weren't actively hiring right now, but are always looking to hire the right person. I said "Thank you," and shook her hand.

It was over so quickly and I had been so worried about how it would all go down, I was relieved it was so painless. The flip side of that is that she asked far fewer questions than most people had suggested they might ask in the first interview, and I'm somewhat worried that they are not interested in my application as they are flush with employees right now. I can easily see not getting a call within 2 weeks, but I will call them in about a week and a half just to show I am really interested in working at Trader Joe's!

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Turn in application in person and they'll usually set up an interview then and there. You go through to a second interview if they like you. This is where the captain says yay or nay. I was offered the job the night of my second interview. Whole process took less than 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate, but I heard that you are able to.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's in September 2014.

You can print from the internet or ask for one when you're in the store. When you fill it out you'll be given a short interview on the spot- to weed out the absolute no's. I've done this step a few times but this time it went well. She asked about my favorite products, why I want to work there etc. We hit it off and she said that she loved my "open availability". She told me to come back and check in a week if I hadn't heard anything. I did that about a week later and I was shot down very rudely being told that "everyone wants to work at Trader Joe's" and that I should check back in two or three weeks. I told him that the manager previously told me that they were hiring and he said that "it was too soon". I left with a sour taste. Maybe a week after that I got a phone call and was asked to come for an interview. The interview went well. I was asked again about my favorite products and seemed to genuinely enjoy talking with me. We talked about retail jobs I'd had before and how I felt about tasking. He told me a bit about the company, he obviously loves his job. He asked if I had any questions and I made sure to ask plenty. He said he'd call in 3-5 days but called THE NEXT DAY. I scheduled a second interview- this time with the Captain. The interview did not go as well. She asked all the same questions and I answered about the same (probably with less enthusiasm) and she again asked if I had any questions. I said I discussed a lot of things in the first interview so I didn't feel I had any new questions. Honestly, I felt let down. She didn't discuss the company at all or what is expected or what they're offering. And she fidgeted a lot, which I thought was a sign of her being uncomfortable or not wanting to talk to me. I didn't get a call or a letter so I assume I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions
    • What is your sense of humor?
      What is the best and worst thing that's happened to you recently?
        View Answer

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Trader Joe's in September 2014.

They had an interview set up at a hotel. We filled out a application and then they calked you in for a interview. This was for a new store that was opening. They told me that 800 people had applied for positions.

Interview Questions
    • What is something that you have done recently that you have regretted?   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's in September 2014.

After checking their website, I saw that 3 local TJ's were hiring and I applied at all three. After a brief 15 minute interview fro the Mate taking my application, only one of the three did not immediately schedule a second interview.
    The first follow up interview lasted an hour and I was asked what I liked about TJ's, why I wanted to work there, what I thought I could contribute, and what a recent "Wow" experience was that I had experienced. It was fairly easy & I had questions for the interviewer to show I was prepared & interested. I have yet to hear back from that location, but they indicated that the process might take 3 weeks.
    The second f/u interview was lengthier and had more questions about my background. I was offered a job on the spot, and I accepted.