Trader Joe's Crew Member Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.2

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

I printed out the application and filled it out ahead of time. I turned it in and had an immediate, 5 minute interview with an assistant manager. We scheduled a time to come to interview again that week.
Second interview was a sit down with a crew member. Same thing, scheduled for another interview that week.
Another crew member interview and was told I would be called. After that, I received a call from a manager, which was technically another "interview" but more about logistics of the position. I was hired then.

I prepared using the interview quesitons on Glassdoor. They were spot-on.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Trader Joes? Tell us about a time you had a great customer service experience?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Interview

I interviewed with a senior manager. The process was relatively simple and straightforward. I only had one interview and the process took about 3 weeks in total. The manager was straightforward and clear about my expectations. Because I was only part-time, management was flexible regarding my schedule.

Interview Questions

• If I encountered a problem or disagreement with a customer, how would I handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

had a first interview with mate. Was very casual. Not really hard questions, but have to be prepared.
    They read the questions off a card so I don't think these are their own personal questions, but a guideline of sorts. Just act calm, casual and honest. Second interview with captain went well. Was offered the job after five minutes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiation, but told me there w as room for a pay raise in the future.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winter Park, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Winter Park, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

A Mate brings you aside for a few questions. Told me to come in again for another interview with the Captain. Then I received a phone call later saying I got the job. If you don't get it, they supposedly send you a letter.

Interview Questions

• List three qualities about yourself that would benefit Trader Joe's. Basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Pasadena, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

i dropped off my application in person,a mate took me aside and spoke with me ,it was very comfortable , and said i should here from them within two weeks but to keep checking in due to alot of applications, he called me the next day to set up interview

Crew Member Interview

Interview

Basically handed them my application and resume, did not receive a full interview yet but they will ask you why do want to work at Trader Joes and what your fav food is.

Anonymous Employee in West Bloomfield, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Trader Joe's (West Bloomfield, MI) in May 2015.

Interview

Brief and relaxed. I felt like I was having a conversation with a friend. Not like I was on the hot seat! It was a pre-scan to see have I have the right personality.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at TJ? What is your favorite food at TJ's?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Virginia Beach, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied in store and was asked a couple of questions up front like Why Trader Joes? And What do you do now? I was called for an interview the following day. I arrived on time and was made to wait since the Mate was not back from lunch that I was supposed to interview with. I needed up being interviewed by two other people. One was a Mate and the other a crew member. We sat in a back room where they asked me questions. They were very nice and laid back but didn't have any openings in a shift that would work with my family life.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Waiting to hear back from managers now, but I wouldn't hold my breathe. A lot of times if managers want to hire you they will not make you wait. If I am hired I'll update this response. I will say that in order to get to the interview level you must follow up. Call in or go in person. It's also important to know about the brand. Trader joes is something of a pioneer and I really appreciated it so I knew a lot about them.

Interview Questions

• What would your former managers say about you? What is one of the worst experiences you had at your former place of employment?   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Handed in my application in person, and the person who took my application asked me two questions: why I wanted to work there and what my favorite food product was. This is a pre-screening type of deal, to make sure you know their products and store. I then was called in for an interview. Typically a two-interview process, I was hired on in one interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation from your past job and explain how you handled it.   Answer Question