Trader Joe's Crew Member Interview Questions & Reviews

2.2

129 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

It was a brand new store opening and they held open interviews. I filled out an application (along with other people at a table) and then a person from a group of interviewers spoke with me. The interview was very laid-back and I felt very comfortable.

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Crew Member Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in July 2012.

Fill out application at store, or print out form online and take into store. Expect a Mate, or the Captain, to briefly talk to you. After reviewing your application, and they want to interview you, they will call to set up a time to come into the store for an interview with the Captain and a mate.

Interview Questions
    • What was a problem you had in your last job and how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    You don't negotiate your entry salary. But they usually start people at $12, with is pretty good (better than most retail environments).

Crew Member Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in July 2014.

Went in with my resume and the trader joes application on hand. I spoke to the person in charge who said they weren't hiring right now. I offered up my application he did take it and reviewed it. He asked me about why I wanted to work there. After we talked a few minutes he told me to come in for an interview the next day! I went back, had the second interview and got the job!

They looked at my last salary and offered me slightly more..I accepted

Crew Member Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Really relaxed. More you joke around the better. Asked what favorite food from TJs is and joked around. Talked about what makes a good coworker atmosphere. Overall it was very informal and fun...I think I had more questions than the manager. I just kept being bubbly and cheery and had a great feeling about it...ended up getting the job

Interview Questions
    everyone started at same pay rate

Crew Member Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Trader Joe's in October 2010.

You can print an application online but you must bring it in to the store. You will have a brief interview when you turn in your app. The interview will be with a mate (or also known as an assistant manager). Then you will be called back for interview with the captain (or also known as the store manager). Dont wait for them to call you. You need to call them each week asking if you can come in for an interview. They are always hiring in October, November for Holiday craziness. Shop there!!! so they see your face.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work there? Tell me about your customer service experience. TJ is all about customers   Answer Question
    simple. I asked for what I wanted (asked high) and got just below that. They do give 60cent raises every 6 months. but you have to "work". not slack

Crew Member Interview

I was called in for an interview after being persistent about it. first round was with a novitiate manager. The second round was with 2 higher ups, 1 being the second in command of the store. Super friendly, non-chalant interview. Laid back work environment--as to be expected from a place where managers wear Hawaiian shirts.

Crew Member Interview

interviewed at Trader Joe's in November 2010.

The hiring process is ok. You must have retail and customer service experience and great people skills. They do asking a lot of question but on customer service and how would you wow the customers and make sure they have a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • What your fav. product? but thats only if you ever had anything from there, like me. I was 16 years old when I applied and never had any Trader Joe's products.   View Answer

Crew Member Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2014.

Update :Recieved an offer to work and accepted it! I hope my experience will help anyone else looking to get started with Trader Joes.

Applied in person and they ask you what your favorite product is, a little bit about yourself, very informall infact, you'll probably be in and out in less then a couple minutes. Be professional and friendly though cause whoever you see makes an initial note of you. Also, if you can talk directly to a mate or a manager/captain the more the better. So I applied, got a call back for an interview in about a weeks time of waiting. I interviewed with 2 young ladies, 1 about early 30s, 1 about mid-late 20s. I'm a 22 year old male so interviewing with 2 girls was very easy and relaxing. They were very relaxing, outgoing, yet professional so try to gauge your interviewers personality with your responses. Here's what they asked me:

1. Tell me about yourself
    - are you in school? -tell me a little bit about your past work experience
    -not gonna get into this as it's pretty standard

2. Why do you want to work at trader Joes
    -I said " Why not trader joes? I mean I could apply to safeway but whenever I walk into trader joes I always get positive vibes from not only the customers but the employees as well. I often see alot of genuine interactions going on and great customer service at the same time and based on my past work experience this is the type of environment I thrive in and I definitely see myself working here"

4. What do you expect to be doing here at trader joes
    - I said "I'm open to everything whether it be register, stocking, inventory, cart return, samples. I noticed that the employees are often doing various jobs and I don't expect to be on just the register my whole shift".
    -i tried to make it a point that I'm open to whatever they want me to do

5. Describe yourself in 3 words:
    -I said " compassionate team player because it definitely takes someone who is willing to be understanding in this type of work environment especially towards customers and also customers who may not be having the best day. It also takes someone who is willing to work cooperatively with others because it makes everything so much better and everyone benefits from it".

6. What do you think you bring to the table
    -This one kind of stumped me because I didn't anticipate they'd ask me this and it kinda ties into the last question and i felt it was redundant and to be honest I don't remember what I said but I did relate back to my last answer

7. How do you go about a disgruntled customer
    - I said " well you have to realize that when a customer comes in angry he's usually not upset at you and usually it just takes a little bit of compassion and understanding and just listening to what that person has to say and responding in a way that gets them to reciprocate the same feelings. If you don't have an item they're looking for, then do what you can to help them whether it be calling another store to see if they have it, or reassuring them when the next time the store will have it. There's only so much you can do but alot of it is just being a good listener"

Those were the major questions i think and the interview lasted awhile cause we were just kinda talking. I noticed while she was intervewing me she had this paper with a chart on it and she would mark it every now and then. not sure what it was but I'm pretty sure it was a rubric and she was grading me on my responses. The older lady who mostly asked me questions would say "great" after i gave a good answer so im guessing that's good.

Final Tips:
    -Smile
    -Ask relevant questions that show you care.
    -Gauge your response with your interviewers personality
    -CHECK FOR BODY LANGUAGE. I noticed the two girls I interviewed with both crossed their legs towards me after about 8 minutes, pupils dilated, and hands fiddling which showed me I had established a comfort zone...try to achieve this.
    -Reciprocate positive body language.
    -BE YOURSELF..don't try to impress them with things your not. Being honest is a lot easier then trying to make yourself seem better then your cut out for.
    -Don't be nervous...if you are chances are you will mess up and not get the job cause they can tell by your breathing, sentence stutters, and body language. Again, be yourself.

Crew Member Interview

Applied in person. Three part interview, one when I turned in my application and two scheduled interviews and each with several different members of the staff. Very fun and laid back interview. Basic interview questions and the most unexpected question was what would I cook for dinner to impress them. Also, know their products well.

Anonymous Employee  in  La Canada Flintridge, CA
    Anonymous Employee in La Canada Flintridge, CA

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in June 2014.

Applied in person at a location I new didn't have an opening but I really like the location and wanted to drop off my resume and application downloaded from their website (they are always accepting applications), they took my application and asked the following questions;

1. Are you a regular customer of Trader Joe's, if so what are 3 favorite items and why are they your favorite?
    2. What your experience, how much do you know about the job?
    3. Have you ever used a mini pallet mover (I forget the name right now), how about the big pallet mover?

They said a lot of people want to work for Trader Joe's because it is a happy place but what's not always taken into account is all the physical work involved with stocking the store.

They asked to follow up with them every few weeks by phone to check if they have an opening and thats the end of our talk.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!