Trader Joe's Crew Member Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2015
Updated Mar 29, 2015

2.1

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I printed out the application and filled it out ahead of time. I turned it in and had an immediate, 5 minute interview with an assistant manager. We scheduled a time to come to interview again that week.
Second interview was a sit down with a crew member. Same thing, scheduled for another interview that week.
Another crew member interview and was told I would be called. After that, I received a call from a manager, which was technically another "interview" but more about logistics of the position. I was hired then.

I prepared using the interview quesitons on Glassdoor. They were spot-on.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to work for Trader Joes? Tell us about a time you had a great customer service experience?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I submitted the application in-person, then received a follow up call a few days later. I had the first and second interviews within two days of each other, and was able to accept the position very soon afterwards.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Very good, easy friendly explain most of work walk around store to show you around. They give you books to learn more about trader joes, from there start till now

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

They first screen you when you turn in your application.
    If they like you they will call you back for a sit down interview with the captain and a mate. They both talk to you in a conversational manner. If they liked you at the interview you will get a call back and immediately start training.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite product?
      What is your favorite comedy movie?
      Name a time when you felt you gave a great customer experience?
      What happened with your previous job?

View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Trader Joe's in March 2015.

Dropped off the application in person, I was unable to see a captain so I spoke to a crew member. He asked me the question below and said I would get a call in about a week. I never got a call back which surprised me as I have excellent customer service skills.

Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's in March 2015.

I had 3 interviews. The first one was with a mate, and the second was with a captain. The last one was with the regional manager and was pretty bland and short, but the first 2 were about 15 minutes and went great. I was so confident I was going to get hired. They look for personality and good work ethic. They asked me things like "Why Trader Joe's?" "What products do you like?" "If I were to call your boss, what would he say about you?"I thought it was a bit much to have 3 entire interviews just to work at a grocery store. The whole process really wasn't hard though. They basically have a conversation with you and they do ask you some questions here and there where you need to come up with a good answer fast. Things like "What are your weaknesses?" "Why should we hire you out of all the other applicants?".

Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's in February 2015.

Very casual, very chill. Everyone seems to like working there. Nice people. Felt like the interview was more of a conversation then anything else.
    I had one interview, and then I was scheduled for a second interview. I thought my second interview had gone really well but they never called me back. I have A LOT of experience in customer service and I have a really upbeat, positive, friendly personality so I was shocked that I didn't get it but whatever. It was very unprofessional of them. At least call me back and tell me I didn't get it.

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I applied in person and got a interview 2 weeks later. On the 2nd interview they asked very unique questions "what do you like to do for fun? "What would you cook for me if I came over for dinner tonight? The interview was good but my schedule would not work with them. A manager Rachel is clearly in charge and wears the pants around the cary nc store. Beware of her.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in person. They asked me right away"Why Trader Joe's?" I waited a few days, but no one call me. So I went to the store and asked what is the status of my application. I learned that the Captain has a lot of applications to review, and it may take him from two weeks to a month. So I'm waiting - has only been a week. I write this review only because I'm running out of access to Glassdoor term. As suggested by other reviewers , I will show up at the store regularly to be remembered, and that the staff saw that I care for this work.

Interview Questions
    • For now, I was asked only one question: Why Trader Joe's? I have not had an interview yet.   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2015.

I brought in my application on a Sunday and was asked to bring it back during the week because the store was so busy. When I did go back someone from the captain's desk asked me a few questions. A few days later I got a phone call asking me to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by two people at once and they were nice and made me feel comfortable. The next day they called to offer me the position starting at $11/hour.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer was upset about something?   Answer Question
    • What made you want to work at Trader Joe's?   Answer Question
    • What did you like about your previous job? What did you dislike?   Answer Question
    They told me what the starting wage would be when they offered me the position and I accepted it.