Trader Joe's

Average Difficulty
122 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Crew Member

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2014.

Interview Details – Update :Recieved an offer to work and accepted it! I hope my experience will help anyone else looking to get started with Trader Joes.

Applied in person and they ask you what your favorite product is, a little bit about yourself, very informall infact, you'll probably be in and out in less then a couple minutes. Be professional and friendly though cause whoever you see makes an initial note of you. Also, if you can talk directly to a mate or a manager/captain the more the better. So I applied, got a call back for an interview in about a weeks time of waiting. I interviewed with 2 young ladies, 1 about early 30s, 1 about mid-late 20s. I'm a 22 year old male so interviewing with 2 girls was very easy and relaxing. They were very relaxing, outgoing, yet professional so try to gauge your interviewers personality with your responses. Here's what they asked me:

1. Tell me about yourself
- are you in school? -tell me a little bit about your past work experience
-not gonna get into this as it's pretty standard

2. Why do you want to work at trader Joes
-I said " Why not trader joes? I mean I could apply to safeway but whenever I walk into trader joes I always get positive vibes from not only the customers but the employees as well. I often see alot of genuine interactions going on and great customer service at the same time and based on my past work experience this is the type of environment I thrive in and I definitely see myself working here"

4. What do you expect to be doing here at trader joes
- I said "I'm open to everything whether it be register, stocking, inventory, cart return, samples. I noticed that the employees are often doing various jobs and I don't expect to be on just the register my whole shift".
-i tried to make it a point that I'm open to whatever they want me to do

5. Describe yourself in 3 words:
-I said " compassionate team player because it definitely takes someone who is willing to be understanding in this type of work environment especially towards customers and also customers who may not be having the best day. It also takes someone who is willing to work cooperatively with others because it makes everything so much better and everyone benefits from it".

6. What do you think you bring to the table
-This one kind of stumped me because I didn't anticipate they'd ask me this and it kinda ties into the last question and i felt it was redundant and to be honest I don't remember what I said but I did relate back to my last answer

7. How do you go about a disgruntled customer
- I said " well you have to realize that when a customer comes in angry he's usually not upset at you and usually it just takes a little bit of compassion and understanding and just listening to what that person has to say and responding in a way that gets them to reciprocate the same feelings. If you don't have an item they're looking for, then do what you can to help them whether it be calling another store to see if they have it, or reassuring them when the next time the store will have it. There's only so much you can do but alot of it is just being a good listener"

Those were the major questions i think and the interview lasted awhile cause we were just kinda talking. I noticed while she was intervewing me she had this paper with a chart on it and she would mark it every now and then. not sure what it was but I'm pretty sure it was a rubric and she was grading me on my responses. The older lady who mostly asked me questions would say "great" after i gave a good answer so im guessing that's good.

Final Tips:
-Smile
-Ask relevant questions that show you care.
-Gauge your response with your interviewers personality
-CHECK FOR BODY LANGUAGE. I noticed the two girls I interviewed with both crossed their legs towards me after about 8 minutes, pupils dilated, and hands fiddling which showed me I had established a comfort zone...try to achieve this.
-Reciprocate positive body language.
-BE YOURSELF..don't try to impress them with things your not. Being honest is a lot easier then trying to make yourself seem better then your cut out for.
-Don't be nervous...if you are chances are you will mess up and not get the job cause they can tell by your breathing, sentence stutters, and body language. Again, be yourself.

Interview Question – What do you bring to the table?   View Answer

Interviewed at Trader Joe's

Interview Details – Applied in person. Three part interview, one when I turned in my application and two scheduled interviews and each with several different members of the staff. Very fun and laid back interview. Basic interview questions and the most unexpected question was what would I cook for dinner to impress them. Also, know their products well.

Interview Question – What would you cook us for dinner?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

La Canada Flintridge, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in person at a location I new didn't have an opening but I really like the location and wanted to drop off my resume and application downloaded from their website (they are always accepting applications), they took my application and asked the following questions;

1. Are you a regular customer of Trader Joe's, if so what are 3 favorite items and why are they your favorite?
2. What your experience, how much do you know about the job?
3. Have you ever used a mini pallet mover (I forget the name right now), how about the big pallet mover?

They said a lot of people want to work for Trader Joe's because it is a happy place but what's not always taken into account is all the physical work involved with stocking the store.

They asked to follow up with them every few weeks by phone to check if they have an opening and thats the end of our talk.

State College, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in October 2012.

Interview Details – Talked with the store manager when a new store was opening up in our town and was offered a job as they were looking for people who knew the brand. Came back another day for a sit down about my previous work experience, it was fairly informal and hiring was quick. Was hired the same day.

Interview Question – "What makes you think you want to work at Trader Joe's?"   Answer Question

Crew Member

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2014.

Interview Details – I went in to fill out an application and had my mini-interview (wasn't expecting that). The Trader Joe's I applied to is brand new and is opening next month so there were a few other applicants waiting to be interviewed. This mini-interview went very smoothly; it lasted about 10 minutes and the questions were relatively easy. Even thought I have no job experience whatsoever, the recruiter really liked my outgoing and friendly personality and decided I qualified for a main interview.

I had my interview 6 days later with two friendly mates. I stayed calm, smiled a lot (they commented that they liked how much I smiled), and answered all of my questions enthusiastically. They were pretty straightforward and easy questions to get through. The mates were so friendly and nice that I didn't get nervous at all and I'm a very nervous person sometimes. I got a call back driving home after the interview and got the job.

Interview Question – All of the questions were very easy to answer. Just read through previous questions and you'll do fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. I was very happy with what they offered me. :)

Crew Member

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview Details – I went through three separate interviews. Two with "mates" and the last with the "captain". The questions revolved mostly around personality and customer experience. It showed me how much they value the customer experience.

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Millburn, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in September 2012.

Interview Details – had three interviews; and intital screening, a joint interview, and finally an interview with the store manager. was able to answer all questions before even asked. store manager was more focused on me working at a puppy store than my actual work history

Interview Question – the whole interview was a piece of cake.   Answer Question

Crew Member

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview Details – I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks. Keep in mind that whoever is going to collect your job application is most likely a manager and will make initial notes as on his/her first impression! So, make an effort to present yourself well, dress casual, smile a lot, make lots of eye contact, be as friendly as you can possibly be, and most of all be yourself.

Interview Question – What do you like to do for fun?   Answer Question

Millburn, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Trader Joe's in March 2013.

Interview Details – It used to be that you had two to three interviews but it seems since they are hiring so many people and cutting so many employees hours that maybe they are only doing one interview.

Interview Question – No real unexpected questions. Just be prepared to talk about your favorite products and your history with shopping at the store. The more you know about the store and the products the better   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Orange, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2014.

Interview Details – I went to the Trader Joe's Website to search for job openings. I was happy to see that they want you to print out an application from their website and bring it into the store in person. A welcome change from all of these long tedious online application processes that rarely produce even a single call back.

I dressed nice and brought my application and my resume to the nearest store and approached the manager station and asked if I could submit an application. The employee was very nice and came out from behind the podium/mgr station and shook my hand. Asked me "So what makes you want to work for Trader Joe's" I told him I was a customer and that everyone here was very friendly and organized and that it seemed like a great place to work. He asked what are some of my favorite Trader Joe's products. I listed two or three items that I had bought there before. He looked at my application and resume and asked me a couple minor things about my past work experience. Then gave me his business card and told me they would review my app. and be in touch.

Six days later I got a call inviting me to come in for an interview the next day.

I arrived about 7 or 8 minutes early for the interview and was asked to wait for a few minutes. Pretty soon I was lead to the back of the store by the same person I met when I dropped off my app. We went thru a hallway that led to the outside behind the store where there were two chairs together and on chair opposite and facing the two. I was interviewed by the store's general manager and the person I applied with originally.

They asked "why Trader Joes?" "What are some of your favorite Trader Joe's products?" we talked about my previous jobs. They asked "what would you do to have fun while working here?" "what kinds of tasks do you expect to be doing while working here?" They said that friday, saturday, and sundays are by far the busiest days and that most staff should expect to work those days. They wanted to let me know that sometimes the hours varied and could go late into the night. I was asked what do I like to do outside of work, like hobbies or activities. Asked "what do you think would be the ideal job for you to do here?". They asked "how would your previous employer describe you as an employee?" They wanted to know if I had any questions for them.

Over all, I felt that the interview went VERY well. They told me that they would discuss the interview and review the application and resume and make a decision and would be in contact. It has been 8 days since my interview and I have not heard anything yet. I don't know if that is a bad sign or if they just take a long time to contact you. I really felt I did well in the interview and was kind of surprised after I didn't hear anything after the first 3 or 4 days. Now going on 8, I'm feeling less and less optimistic. We will see.

Interview Question – I don't feel any of the questions were difficult or unexpected. I listed above all the questions they asked.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Trader Joe's

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Trader Joe's Crew Member interview questions and advice. All 122 interview reviews posted anonymously by Trader Joe's employees and interview candidates.