Trader Joe's Crew Member Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.2

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

I printed out the application and filled it out ahead of time. I turned it in and had an immediate, 5 minute interview with an assistant manager. We scheduled a time to come to interview again that week. Second interview was a sit down with a crew member. Same thing, scheduled for another interview that week. Another crew member interview and was told I would be called. After that, I received a call from a manager, which was technically another "interview" but more about logistics of the position. I was hired then. I prepared using the interview quesitons on Glassdoor. They were spot-on.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Trader Joes? Tell us about a time you had a great customer service experience?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2015.

Interview

Submitted my application, got a callback two weeks later but I was dealing with family issues so I passed on it. Another two weeks pass and I get a call asking if I'm still interested and I set up an interview for three days later. I arrive on time to find they had double-booked the interviews. I wait for thirty minutes and then I talk with the manager. The questions were straightforward, including why I'm interested, what my favorite product of theirs is, and how my background in customer service prepared me for the job. Immediate offer on the spot.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite product here at Trader Joe's?   1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Very relaxed, approachable interview, love it! Seems like most people enjoy working there and have worked there for years (8-17 yrs by those I was interviewed by) or come back time and time again. The starting pay is well above average for other similar types of stores so that is also a big plus in my mind.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite thing to get from Trader Joe's   1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

They ask you fun questions like "what's your most recent regret" or "describe yourself in three words" (I gave them four words instead)--they mostly just want to gauge how well you vibe with them therefore how well you would vibe with customers.

Interview Questions

• What do you wish you could change about yourself? What did you dislike about your last job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Irvine, CA).

Interview

I walked in and filled out a paper application. I turned that in and I was told I would receive a call back if they had any openings. I got the call, had a couple of sit down interviews with different managers, and then they called back for employment. I had another employment opportunity at the same time but I chose this job because I heard so many good things about it.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (San Diego, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview--as described by most users on here--went very well. I was interviewed by two guys that I believe had the title of 'Mate.' I thought I performed well, but i tend to get a little nervous during these situations. I knew a lot about the company and TJ's products, which they seemed impressed with, but I ultimately got a rejection letter six days later. I really want to work for TJ's; I would be a great fit for them. I know it is difficult to judge, but how you interview is NOT indicative of how you were work. It has been proven again and again. They need to realize that when they are interviewing someone for an entry-level position to take many factors in consideration.

Interview Questions

• How would your former employer describe you in three words?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Charlottesville, VA) in August 2015.

Interview

Had two interviews. When I dropped off the application, they asked me a few questions and scheduled me for my first interview with the store manager (Captain). They were very friendly and interested in how well I could play a part in their work environment. After my first interview the Captain said he'll call me back to follow up within two days. Didn't get a call, so I took the initiative and called 3 days after my interview. They scheduled me for another interview with the Mate. The second interview went a lot better than the first one in my opinion. I felt more refreshed and prepared to answer their expected questions. Afterwards he said they will call me back within the week. Still, no call was made by them. So, I called them a week after my last interview, and they said they are in the process of reviewing all other applicants, and will be getting back in touch with me by the end of the week. I admit, I probably should have just waited until they called me back after each interview, but given the circumstances of my living situations, I was pretty anxious to hear back from them. Still awaiting to hear what they have to say...hopefully it will work out for the best.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

had a first interview with mate. Was very casual. Not really hard questions, but have to be prepared. They read the questions off a card so I don't think these are their own personal questions, but a guideline of sorts. Just act calm, casual and honest. Second interview with captain went well. Was offered the job after five minutes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiation, but told me there w as room for a pay raise in the future.

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Long Beach, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

one of my good friends works there and i used him as a reference. when you turn in your application they will automatically ask you two questions: 1. why trader joes, and 2.whats your favorite product. i got a call about a week later for an interview with a mate (full time crew member) and thanks to glass door and preparation i kicked butt. pretty basic interview. they say to check back in a week, so i call them a week later and they told me "here's the deal, we like you, we want to give you a second interview, however we're overstaffed right now. so check back in FOUR WEEKS and we'll give you another interview." luckily only 3 weeks go by and i get a call to come in for a 2nd interview. for my 2nd interview, the store captain (manager) is the one to interview me. his attitude was rushed and uninterested from the start, saying like "so yeah, your stuff looks good, i know you had a pretty in depth interview with (the first interviewer), so i dont have that much to ask." he had a few questions like "whats your idea of hard work" "tell me the pros and cons of your previous job" "what do you think a day at trader joes is like?" and here was what got me: "what questions do you have for me?" i had a couple great questions and then he asks "what else, more questions" "more questions" "more questions" i eventually ran out of questions and that pretty much wrapped up the interview. he thanked me for my time. a week later i call in and talk to the manager about my application. when he returns to the phone he says "im sorry, we're not able to hire anyone at this time"... are you kidding me? two things struck me about that. first, they gave me a second interview the week prior. why would they go through the trouble if they werent hiring? secondly, when i told the manager who i was on the phone he says "hang on let me go get your paperwork" when he returns and says we're not hiring you have to wonder. why did he need my application to say they werent hiring? im fairly certain he was using a euphemism (lie) for "we dont think you're the right fit" or "someone else has filled the position" overall, the process wasted about 6 weeks of my life, the manager wasnt very interested, and i learned nothing from the experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time where you had excellent customer service.   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in July 2015.

Interview

Interviewer was welcoming. Asked a series of behavioral questions. They also give you the opportunity to ask questions, so come prepared to show that you've done your homework. The questions were mostly related to prior work experience and why you are interested in the company. They also make it clear that it is a very physical job.