Trader Joe's

Getting the Interview

106 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview Details – I asked for an application in person at the captain's desk at the store and submitted it that day. I met with the captain in person a few days later and spoke with him for about 30 minutes about my background and previous work/study experience. I was offered a job then and there and started the next week.

Interview Question – The interview with the captain was mostly a get-to-know-you conversation. He did ask some questions about work ethic and some behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered $13/hr to start, which was pretty good for this kind of work.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2014.

Interview Details – Its pretty straightforward - they mini interview you when you turn in the app. Thrown you get an interview with a Mate. If that goes well, you get an interview with another Mate. And then if they plan to hire you, then you will meet the Captain.

Interview Question – Describe a dish you would make with our products.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Trader Joe's

Interview Details – turned in an applacation 2014 had an interveiw on spot just asked what my favorite trader joes item was and if i shop there and what i like about trader joes havent gotten a second interveiw still waiting to hear back from them hopefully sooncause it would be an awsome place to work

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2012.

Interview Details – Two interviews. First one with 2 Mates - about 40 minutes. Second on a different day with a Mate and Captain.

Interview Question – How would you deal with an angry customer?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – I got the top dollar for new hires - Captain told me. I'm not sure though. There isn't much wiggle. Nothing really to negotiate. Oh but ask for days off before you accept job if you have a trip coming up etc.

Williamsburg, VA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted a resume/ application after walking in off the street. I had an initial interview on the spot with a member of management. The whole atmosphere of the store is so laid back, I didn't even realize that it was an interview until I thought back on it later; I thought I was just having a friendly conversation with one of the staff. Later, the Captain called me to set up a one on one interview.
Overall the whole process was very relaxed; we interviewed outside because it was a nice day. I felt overdressed for wearing business casual since the Captain was in his usual uniform of jeans and a Hawaiian shirt. It was about what you would expect of Trader Joe's.

Interview Question – What is your favorite Trader Joe's product?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not attempt to negotiate as the hourly rate offered was already higher than I expected.

Columbus, OH

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2014.

Interview Details – The process took about three weeks. The first interview with one of the managers went really well and he was nice. We talked about what I liked to buy at TJ's and what the job duties were. The second interview was with an a-hole of a manager who has absolutely no professionalism. He took a very disrespectful tone the entire second interview to try to intimidate me. In the interview he said the pay would be in the "$12 range" and then he called back the next day to say I had the job and the pay would be $11. I decided to take it because I had no other offers. The day after that I heard back from another job that offered me $12 an hour. I called back TJ's to see if they could bump it up a dollar since the second manager did say "$12 range." The second manager refused, and when I asked him to at least verify that I would be getting the minimum of hours I requested on my application and that we discussed in the interview, he said the offer was off the table and that I should take the other job.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult about an exact question, just the second manager's demeanor.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating. Manager is a complete a-hole.

Crew Member

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in March 2011.

Interview Details – All applications must be turned in in-person. Right then and there they ask you about five questions and decide whether you will get an interview.

Interview Question – They ask a lot of scenario questions, like "What would you do if...?"   View Answer

Denver, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2014.

Interview Details – Attended Company hiring event in Hotel meeting room in Denver, Co. Submitted resume, cover letter, and completed TJ application. Was pre-screened by a veteran Mate and process was friendly and conversational. Next day, received an invitation for an interview. I prepared by reviewing Glassdoor interview notes, visiting Company website, and researched other web based articles. Needless to say, I was well prepared.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Trader Joe's? What do you like about Trader Joe's? What team building skills do you possess?   View Answer

Denver, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in-person and had an informal interview on the spot. Was asked back for a second interview and was called a few days later with a job offer. Interviewers were really nice and personable. I just communicated (via friendliness and excitement) that I really wanted to work for Trader Joe's and they really responded to that.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions: Why Trader Joe's? How do you deal with conflict?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate. Probably should have.

Denver, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview Details – Went in to drop off my resume and fill out an application (they really appreciate face to face rather than applying on-line). They were accepting interviews at a hotel because it is a brand new store. Sat down with someone that day for a screening as they reviewed your experience. The screening was more of an interview and it lasted longer than it was supposed to. The next day I got a call for a second interview. Went into the second interview and it was very laid-back. Asked many of the same questions from the first interview. It was with a different person. We did a lot of talking and it was less inquisitive and more friendly. Got a call an hour later saying that I got the job.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Interviews for Top Jobs at Trader Joe's

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Trader Joe's Crew Member interview questions and advice. All 106 interview reviews posted anonymously by Trader Joe's employees and interview candidates.