Trader Joe's

Updated Jan 25, 2015

2.2

158 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks. Keep in mind that whoever is going to collect your job application is most likely a manager and will make initial notes as on his/her first impression! So, make an effort to present yourself well, dress casual, smile a lot, make lots of eye contact, be as friendly as you can possibly be, and most of all be yourself.

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Crew Member Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2014.

I went in to fill out an application and had my mini-interview (wasn't expecting that). The Trader Joe's I applied to is brand new and is opening next month so there were a few other applicants waiting to be interviewed. This mini-interview went very smoothly; it lasted about 10 minutes and the questions were relatively easy. Even thought I have no job experience whatsoever, the recruiter really liked my outgoing and friendly personality and decided I qualified for a main interview.

I had my interview 6 days later with two friendly mates. I stayed calm, smiled a lot (they commented that they liked how much I smiled), and answered all of my questions enthusiastically. They were pretty straightforward and easy questions to get through. The mates were so friendly and nice that I didn't get nervous at all and I'm a very nervous person sometimes. I got a call back driving home after the interview and got the job.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were very easy to answer. Just read through previous questions and you'll do fine.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. I was very happy with what they offered me. :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

sit you down for two interviews and it's pretty basic. just be yourself. the first interview was with a full timer/mgmt and it was pretty basic as far as interviews go. nothing surprising. then the same when I was called back in to do the second interview with someone hire up at the store.

Interview Questions
    they started me at 9.50 but it made sense cuz within 3 months a raise was coming so id didn't really negotiate. thought it was fair but they will listen for sure and take what you negotiate into consideration

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2014.

Applied in person and was given a mini interview on the spot which caught me off guard. However the mate was very friendly and made me feel welcome. Even though I had no retail experience he said that it was completely ok. He liked the fact that my working hours were at any time. They called me the next day to schedule an interview next week.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I asked for an application in person at the captain's desk at the store and submitted it that day. I met with the captain in person a few days later and spoke with him for about 30 minutes about my background and previous work/study experience. I was offered a job then and there and started the next week.

Interview Questions
    • The interview with the captain was mostly a get-to-know-you conversation. He did ask some questions about work ethic and some behavioral questions.   Answer Question
    I was offered $13/hr to start, which was pretty good for this kind of work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2014.

I went to the Trader Joe's Website to search for job openings. I was happy to see that they want you to print out an application from their website and bring it into the store in person. A welcome change from all of these long tedious online application processes that rarely produce even a single call back.

I dressed nice and brought my application and my resume to the nearest store and approached the manager station and asked if I could submit an application. The employee was very nice and came out from behind the podium/mgr station and shook my hand. Asked me "So what makes you want to work for Trader Joe's" I told him I was a customer and that everyone here was very friendly and organized and that it seemed like a great place to work. He asked what are some of my favorite Trader Joe's products. I listed two or three items that I had bought there before. He looked at my application and resume and asked me a couple minor things about my past work experience. Then gave me his business card and told me they would review my app. and be in touch.

Six days later I got a call inviting me to come in for an interview the next day.

I arrived about 7 or 8 minutes early for the interview and was asked to wait for a few minutes. Pretty soon I was lead to the back of the store by the same person I met when I dropped off my app. We went thru a hallway that led to the outside behind the store where there were two chairs together and on chair opposite and facing the two. I was interviewed by the store's general manager and the person I applied with originally.

They asked "why Trader Joes?" "What are some of your favorite Trader Joe's products?" we talked about my previous jobs. They asked "what would you do to have fun while working here?" "what kinds of tasks do you expect to be doing while working here?" They said that friday, saturday, and sundays are by far the busiest days and that most staff should expect to work those days. They wanted to let me know that sometimes the hours varied and could go late into the night. I was asked what do I like to do outside of work, like hobbies or activities. Asked "what do you think would be the ideal job for you to do here?". They asked "how would your previous employer describe you as an employee?" They wanted to know if I had any questions for them.

Over all, I felt that the interview went VERY well. They told me that they would discuss the interview and review the application and resume and make a decision and would be in contact. It has been 8 days since my interview and I have not heard anything yet. I don't know if that is a bad sign or if they just take a long time to contact you. I really felt I did well in the interview and was kind of surprised after I didn't hear anything after the first 3 or 4 days. Now going on 8, I'm feeling less and less optimistic. We will see.

Interview Questions
    • I don't feel any of the questions were difficult or unexpected. I listed above all the questions they asked.   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2014.

Its pretty straightforward - they mini interview you when you turn in the app. Thrown you get an interview with a Mate. If that goes well, you get an interview with another Mate. And then if they plan to hire you, then you will meet the Captain.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2014.

The process took 3 days. I went to the store to hand in my application, and they interviewed me on the spot and a mate scheduled an appointment for 2 days after that. When I got to trader joes on the day of the interview I got there early and greeted the mates that were there. I told them that I had an an interview, and they told me that I had to walk around the store until they were ready for me. In a couple of minutes I was swept off into the back room where there was a big sink an cardboard boxes. Very professional, haha, anyway it's a trader joes not a CEO position. I found the circumstances funny, the interviewer asked me basic questions ( he seemed more nervous than I was.) the questions where to list you past experiences, what would you do in a difficult customer situation, what do you like to do outside of working? When have you worked as a team player? Smile a lot and make yourself at home and you'll be fine. Now I have to meet with a captain, and I got excellent feedback from the mate that interviwed me. Don't forget to ask questions at the end!

Crew Member Interview

turned in an applacation 2014 had an interveiw on spot just asked what my favorite trader joes item was and if i shop there and what i like about trader joes havent gotten a second interveiw still waiting to hear back from them hopefully sooncause it would be an awsome place to work

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's in February 2014.

Very comfortable and positive. The training was extensive and great. All of the managers were welcoming and happy. I had interviews with 2 different managers and they both were fair and good.