Trader Joe's Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014
Updated Sep 26, 2014

2.3

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Turn in application in person and they'll usually set up an interview then and there. You go through to a second interview if they like you. This is where the captain says yay or nay. I was offered the job the night of my second interview. Whole process took less than 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate, but I heard that you are able to.

Sales Acocate Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Two interveiws with mate and captain took Bout two weeks between interveiws then waited about two more weeks before hired. They where very excited to be in a new state and share the experience with new people. Nice now working for a new company to colorado everyone is so happy we are hear

Interview Questions
    No negotiation they had already set what they would pay

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in September 2014.

You can print from the internet or ask for one when you're in the store. When you fill it out you'll be given a short interview on the spot- to weed out the absolute no's. I've done this step a few times but this time it went well. She asked about my favorite products, why I want to work there etc. We hit it off and she said that she loved my "open availability". She told me to come back and check in a week if I hadn't heard anything. I did that about a week later and I was shot down very rudely being told that "everyone wants to work at Trader Joe's" and that I should check back in two or three weeks. I told him that the manager previously told me that they were hiring and he said that "it was too soon". I left with a sour taste. Maybe a week after that I got a phone call and was asked to come for an interview. The interview went well. I was asked again about my favorite products and seemed to genuinely enjoy talking with me. We talked about retail jobs I'd had before and how I felt about tasking. He told me a bit about the company, he obviously loves his job. He asked if I had any questions and I made sure to ask plenty. He said he'd call in 3-5 days but called THE NEXT DAY. I scheduled a second interview- this time with the Captain. The interview did not go as well. She asked all the same questions and I answered about the same (probably with less enthusiasm) and she again asked if I had any questions. I said I discussed a lot of things in the first interview so I didn't feel I had any new questions. Honestly, I felt let down. She didn't discuss the company at all or what is expected or what they're offering. And she fidgeted a lot, which I thought was a sign of her being uncomfortable or not wanting to talk to me. I didn't get a call or a letter so I assume I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions
    • What is your sense of humor?
      What is the best and worst thing that's happened to you recently?
        View Answer

Part Time Crew Member Interview

When I went to hand in my application and resume I was caught off guard because I had an impromptu interview with one of the crew members. I guess that is their "screening process." Just be as relaxed and friendly as possible and you should be fine. If you made a good impression with whoever you turn in your application to, then they'll call you back to interview with a manager. They like people that are knowledgeable about their products, so do your research!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

It was a brand new store opening and they held open interviews. I filled out an application (along with other people at a table) and then a person from a group of interviewers spoke with me. The interview was very laid-back and I felt very comfortable.

Crew Member Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

I submitted an application to one of the store's "mates"- assistant manager, I believe. He was a young and enthusiastic man who asked me why I want to work at TJ's and asked me what my favorite TJ's product was. I'd read somewhere that in the interview process I'd be asked this question, so I was prepared to answer it, as I am a regular customer and did give some thought to my favorite products the store sells. This interaction may have been a pre-interview/screening process- I can't be sure. The mate gave me a little postcard onto which he wrote his name and a contact number, and told me that if I had any questions to give him a call, and that I would be contacted within 30 days with some sort of response to my application.
    I called just less than 2 weeks later to find out the status of my application and to ask if they were actually hiring. When I called, it was the general number to the store and not a direct line to the asst. manager. I asked for him, and he came to the phone, but his polished, cheerful demeanor was absent- he said he didn't know anything about hiring, whether or not they were coming up on any "hiring schedule" and said that he was not in charge of hiring anyway. He gave me the name of the person in charge of hiring, but then made no effort to put me in touch with him. I was put off by this guy, and in that moment, was not really strongly inclined to pursue a job here anyway. So I hung up and sort of gave up on the place.
    However, on exactly the 30th day after I submitted my application, I got a call from the hiring asst. manager who wanted to set up an interview. The call came on a Sunday, which felt funny to me as it was the weekend, but fundamentally I did not have a problem with it. I interviewed 5 days later with the manager and the asst. manager for hiring.
    The interview was perhaps the least stressful one I've ever had. It was very comfortable and laid back. It lasted around 50 minutes, but felt like it went by quickly. As I answered questions, the manager had commentary to add about different aspects of the store and what working there is like. I appreciated the extra information, as it gave me some idea of what it would be like to work there, and what it would be like to work for this person.

Interview Questions
    • "What's the weirdest thing you've ever done?"   View Answer
    I did not negotiate a wage. I was told what hourly pay would be- $12.50- when I was offered the position. I'd guessed that it would be around that- better than minimum wage, but still less than my previous office job. I was told that raises are given at .50/hour increments every 6 months during the interview. I was also told that there is ample opportunity for advancement into managerial positions or into more specialized, higher paying positions (such as ordering), if I had the desire and drive to make it happen.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Clarendon, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clarendon, VA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

I dropped off the application in Arlington location, va and had a short interview with a manager right away (not sure if he was a captain or mate). He asked me why I wanted to work there and if I was familiar with the products they sell, also asked about my favorite items which I have a lot because I buy groceries in trader joe all the time. After that I was told to come back the next day for the interview with a mate. The next day I had an interview at the back of the store in a storage room among boxes. The manager was friendly and relaxed. He asked me the same things few times and I gave him pretty much the same answers, not sure if it was some kind of a trick to catch me if I remember what I had said before or he was not paying attention to what I was saying. :) Among the things he asked there were my favorite items to buy in the store, how I deal with difficult customers, what I do to maintain a friendly and fun atmosphere with a crew, how I solve problems with co-workers, what I like for dinner, favorite food, favorite recipe to cook, dream job, how I see myself in 5 years, what decisions in my life I regret and some other. At the end he asked if I had any questions which I did not really have because I read about the company the night before so I asked when I could start. Probably that was my mistake because he said that it was something too direct to ask. ok! :) I asked what was the next thing in the process and was told he would give me a call next week. and next week he said they would not hire me. Ж:(

Mate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

The interview process was extremely lengthy. When I initially applied I was told someone would contact me within a week. After not hearing anything for 2 weeks I called the store and spoke with the manager. She had been on vacation. After the first interview I was scheduled for a second interview at another location. The manager from that store called me the day before he was going on vacation. I waited an additional week to talk with him, and then another week for the interview, which was sent to yet another location. After that interview I was setup to speak with the district manager, at another location. I heard back 3 days later only to be offered a position I didn't apply for. The whole process took nearly 6 weeks. I feel it was a complete waste of time. It seems very mismanaged and unprofessional. The questions the district manager asked didn't seem relevant to my resume. She seemed more interested in getting information about my current employer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave you're current job?   View Answer

The offer wasn't what I was looking for. I applied for a mate position in which I am technically over qualified for. I have been in management for several years. I was offered a crew position for less money than I currently make.

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Goleta, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

I turned in an application in person and the got a call the next week to come in for an interview. It was very professional yet cheerful and relaxed, with one crew member and a Mate. Then I waited a few days and got called back to a second interview with the Manager. It was also laid back and pretty straight forward.

Team Member Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

The manager I handed my resume to asked me a question right off the bat. It is an unexpected interview, so be ready! It was a great experience though. The manager made me feel comfortable. He asked questions about my favorite Trader Joes product and what my sense of humor was.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was when he has "who was your least favorite boss and why?" It is hard to answer this question in a way that doesn't seem to be negative about the interviewee   Answer Question

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!