Trader Joe's

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.2

Open Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

I got interviewed on the spot when I dropped off my application. The it was nice, but I was caught of guard with the on the spot interview. You will want to know about the foods they sell there and your favorite food sold there. They will ask you. If you don't know… You won't get hired.

Mate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Trader Joe's in February 2015.

I picked up a paper application and returned the next day with it. Upon dropping it off the store manager asked me some basic questions and looked at my resume and asked some questions about that. He also asked if I read the Crew Mate job requirements, and when I said yes asked what a "WOW" customer experience was to me. This all took place by the busy registers and both of us standing up, so I had to be loud and confident.

Interview Questions
    • What is a "WOW" customer experience to you?   View Answer

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Trader Joe's in February 2015.

Have made it to 2nd round as of last week Feb 2015 - first face-to-face last week was a fun and straightforward experience - the interviewing Captain was very friendly, and made me feel at ease both with the process and in the manner of questioning so that I felt she was experienced despite her young age. She seemed confident and competent, and really did give me peace of mind that I would be quite interested in seeing out this interview process to ites conclusion, and hopefully to a preferred outcome. We'll see what happens after this upcoming 2nd round. The interview questions thus far have been straight-forward and designed to allow me to elaborate on my professional experience to date, as well as skill-sets relevant to management in a retail environment, as well as people and performance management, with some behavioral questions to boot. I really hope it continues to go well!!

Interview Questions
    • Amongst others:
      Why do you wish to work for Trader Joe's given you previous non-grocery retail experience?
      What specific things have you ever procrastinated on, and why?
      Tell me about a time you disagreed or rowed with your boss? What happened and what did you do?
      How do others know that you are stressed?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I applied in person and got a interview 2 weeks later. On the 2nd interview they asked very unique questions "what do you like to do for fun? "What would you cook for me if I came over for dinner tonight? The interview was good but my schedule would not work with them. A manager Rachel is clearly in charge and wears the pants around the cary nc store. Beware of her.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in person. They asked me right away"Why Trader Joe's?" I waited a few days, but no one call me. So I went to the store and asked what is the status of my application. I learned that the Captain has a lot of applications to review, and it may take him from two weeks to a month. So I'm waiting - has only been a week. I write this review only because I'm running out of access to Glassdoor term. As suggested by other reviewers , I will show up at the store regularly to be remembered, and that the staff saw that I care for this work.

Interview Questions
    • For now, I was asked only one question: Why Trader Joe's? I have not had an interview yet.   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2015.

I brought in my application on a Sunday and was asked to bring it back during the week because the store was so busy. When I did go back someone from the captain's desk asked me a few questions. A few days later I got a phone call asking me to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by two people at once and they were nice and made me feel comfortable. The next day they called to offer me the position starting at $11/hour.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer was upset about something?   Answer Question
    • What made you want to work at Trader Joe's?   Answer Question
    • What did you like about your previous job? What did you dislike?   Answer Question
    They told me what the starting wage would be when they offered me the position and I accepted it.

Florist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Very detailed. The interviewer was very friendly and asked questions that could tell if I really had experience. She had me show her my portfolio and put together a couple of arrangements. I have done a lot of weddings and have had a lot of experience. I think I have had a lot more experience than the interviewer herself. She made a couple comments that were not exactly true about processing flowers.

Interview Questions
    • What are your career goals. I found this weird as a florist at Trader Joe's. Not sure how far you can go in a grocery store floral department.   Answer Question
    good.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2015.

The process took me approximately 3~5 days. I filled out an application on a Friday, and was asked to come in for an interview that upcoming Monday. A position was offered to me at the end of the interview, which I called to accept two days later.

The application itself was very basic, about two pages long and primarily giving information about myself and prior work experience. The interview reflected the warm and casual attitude I had come to expect during my years of shopping there; the other crew members I ran into introduced themselves to me, and the interview itself took place in the storeroom. The captain was very sweet, and it felt more like a friendly chat than an official interview. The time not spent going over my goals and future plans was focused on details of the job, such as the expectation of workers to be in on weekends, the varied workload, etc. I was offered a position on the spot, then called to accept not long after.

This was my first time interviewing for a job, and it was a very pleasant one. This particular Trader Joe's adheres to the same friendliness behind the scenes that the company boasts to their customers. However, there is an expectation that you are familiar with the store and its products when you walk through that door. I was asked a couple of times why I wanted to work there, and which products are my favourite. If you have passion for other people and are a fan of the store, you will do just fine. Just relax and be yourself!

Interview Questions
    • What are your favourite products?   View Answer
    • What are your goals, and how would this position help you achieve them?   View Answer
    • Why do you want to work at Trader Joe's?   View Answer
    The salary I offered was far higher than what I had gone in hoping for, and being a part-time position, there were no benefits. Be aware that this is retail, meaning the hours can be unpredictable and you will be expected to work the weekends.

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2015.

I turned in my application in person as there is no online app. A mate (ASM) talked to me for a few minutes on the spot; it was extremely casual and I thought it went really well. He seemed to be checking to make sure I could hold a conversation. He promised to call by the end of the week.

When I didn't hear anything, I called back that next Tuesday. A different manager set me up for a second interview with the same first mate I had spoken with. I was happy because he seemed really laid back and I thought for sure I had the job.

The second interview was lengthier, but equally as easy. He asked what I did for fun, what I was studying in school, what my favorite season is, etc. Random questions that had nothing to do with the job. After the "interview" he once again promised to call by Friday (4 days later).

Didn't hear back again so I called to see what the deal was, and a random manager said "oh, well we've decided to end the interview process with you here" and basically thanked me for my interest.

Very unprofessional to never get back to your applicants, I'm sure I didn't get the job because I had to stalk the store to even get any response on their end.

Interview Questions
    • What's your favorite season? What do you do for fun? What products do you like from trader joes?   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

I went online and dowloaded the application. I walked into the store and handed my application to a Mate and he sat me down right away and asked me some questions. Afterward he said that I needed to come back and meet some other mates and eventually the captain.

Interview Questions
    • What decision that you've made thus far this year that you are most proud of? And if you could live anywhere in the world and money is no object, where would it be and why?   Answer Question