Trader Joe's Interview Questions

2.3

Mate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

The interview process was extremely lengthy. When I initially applied I was told someone would contact me within a week. After not hearing anything for 2 weeks I called the store and spoke with the manager. She had been on vacation. After the first interview I was scheduled for a second interview at another location. The manager from that store called me the day before he was going on vacation. I waited an additional week to talk with him, and then another week for the interview, which was sent to yet another location. After that interview I was setup to speak with the district manager, at another location. I heard back 3 days later only to be offered a position I didn't apply for. The whole process took nearly 6 weeks. I feel it was a complete waste of time. It seems very mismanaged and unprofessional. The questions the district manager asked didn't seem relevant to my resume. She seemed more interested in getting information about my current employer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave you're current job?   View Answer

The offer wasn't what I was looking for. I applied for a mate position in which I am technically over qualified for. I have been in management for several years. I was offered a crew position for less money than I currently make.

Sales Acocate Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Two interveiws with mate and captain took Bout two weeks between interveiws then waited about two more weeks before hired. They where very excited to be in a new state and share the experience with new people. Nice now working for a new company to colorado everyone is so happy we are hear

Interview Questions
    No negotiation they had already set what they would pay

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2010.

I submitted my application in person, had a short interview at the time and was given a time the next day to come back for an interview. The next day I came in and waited for an interview with two of the managers they asked me about my job experiences and how I felt about their company and products. It was a pretty relaxed interview and they offered me a job at the end.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me what my favorite product was and I hadn't been expecting it...stupid of me but I floundered for a second before answering.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Clarendon, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clarendon, VA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

I dropped off the application in Arlington location, va and had a short interview with a manager right away (not sure if he was a captain or mate). He asked me why I wanted to work there and if I was familiar with the products they sell, also asked about my favorite items which I have a lot because I buy groceries in trader joe all the time. After that I was told to come back the next day for the interview with a mate. The next day I had an interview at the back of the store in a storage room among boxes. The manager was friendly and relaxed. He asked me the same things few times and I gave him pretty much the same answers, not sure if it was some kind of a trick to catch me if I remember what I had said before or he was not paying attention to what I was saying. :) Among the things he asked there were my favorite items to buy in the store, how I deal with difficult customers, what I do to maintain a friendly and fun atmosphere with a crew, how I solve problems with co-workers, what I like for dinner, favorite food, favorite recipe to cook, dream job, how I see myself in 5 years, what decisions in my life I regret and some other. At the end he asked if I had any questions which I did not really have because I read about the company the night before so I asked when I could start. Probably that was my mistake because he said that it was something too direct to ask. ok! :) I asked what was the next thing in the process and was told he would give me a call next week. and next week he said they would not hire me. Ж:(

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in July 2014.

I went in a got an application, filled it out at home and submitted in person a few days later. Upon submission, the Mate who took my application asked me a bunch of questions, which felt like a mini-interview. After that he wanted to get me in for an interview. I had that interview, it went well, and he wanted to get me in to interview with another Mate. The second interview went well as well, and she wanted me to meet the Captain. So I went to a third interview (not including the mini-interview) with the Captain who seemed like he felt a little bad that I had already had 2 interviews. That went well, we briefly discussed what I would expect to make as a Crew member if offered the job. He said he would talk to the other 2 mates and that I would know within a week. I got a call two days later and was offered the job.

No negotiation.

Mate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in June 2010.

Interviewed with 2 captains and regional. More a conversation than a Q&A format. Lots of situational questions. How do you get along with employees? Please explain how you motivated somebody. What type of leadership style do you employ? Be sure to have a favorite Trader Joe's product and be sure to be positive and bubbly.

Interview Questions
    • What would you to make this store a better place to work?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Goleta, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

I turned in an application in person and the got a call the next week to come in for an interview. It was very professional yet cheerful and relaxed, with one crew member and a Mate. Then I waited a few days and got called back to a second interview with the Manager. It was also laid back and pretty straight forward.

Crew Member Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

I submitted an application to one of the store's "mates"- assistant manager, I believe. He was a young and enthusiastic man who asked me why I want to work at TJ's and asked me what my favorite TJ's product was. I'd read somewhere that in the interview process I'd be asked this question, so I was prepared to answer it, as I am a regular customer and did give some thought to my favorite products the store sells. This interaction may have been a pre-interview/screening process- I can't be sure. The mate gave me a little postcard onto which he wrote his name and a contact number, and told me that if I had any questions to give him a call, and that I would be contacted within 30 days with some sort of response to my application.
    I called just less than 2 weeks later to find out the status of my application and to ask if they were actually hiring. When I called, it was the general number to the store and not a direct line to the asst. manager. I asked for him, and he came to the phone, but his polished, cheerful demeanor was absent- he said he didn't know anything about hiring, whether or not they were coming up on any "hiring schedule" and said that he was not in charge of hiring anyway. He gave me the name of the person in charge of hiring, but then made no effort to put me in touch with him. I was put off by this guy, and in that moment, was not really strongly inclined to pursue a job here anyway. So I hung up and sort of gave up on the place.
    However, on exactly the 30th day after I submitted my application, I got a call from the hiring asst. manager who wanted to set up an interview. The call came on a Sunday, which felt funny to me as it was the weekend, but fundamentally I did not have a problem with it. I interviewed 5 days later with the manager and the asst. manager for hiring.
    The interview was perhaps the least stressful one I've ever had. It was very comfortable and laid back. It lasted around 50 minutes, but felt like it went by quickly. As I answered questions, the manager had commentary to add about different aspects of the store and what working there is like. I appreciated the extra information, as it gave me some idea of what it would be like to work there, and what it would be like to work for this person.

Interview Questions
    • "What's the weirdest thing you've ever done?"   View Answer
    I did not negotiate a wage. I was told what hourly pay would be- $12.50- when I was offered the position. I'd guessed that it would be around that- better than minimum wage, but still less than my previous office job. I was told that raises are given at .50/hour increments every 6 months during the interview. I was also told that there is ample opportunity for advancement into managerial positions or into more specialized, higher paying positions (such as ordering), if I had the desire and drive to make it happen.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2011.

Three step process - interview with several "Mates" then finally the "Captain." They want knowledge of product. Ostensible people skills/customer service aptitude. Use common sense when preparing - they like maturity. The store gets a lot of kids coming in with baseball caps and ear buds in when applying. Look like you want the job.

Interview Questions
    • What's your favorite product...if you don't shop there you better at least find something to name.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation for pay. $10.00 per hour max for starting wage.

Part Time Crew Member Interview

When I went to hand in my application and resume I was caught off guard because I had an impromptu interview with one of the crew members. I guess that is their "screening process." Just be as relaxed and friendly as possible and you should be fine. If you made a good impression with whoever you turn in your application to, then they'll call you back to interview with a manager. They like people that are knowledgeable about their products, so do your research!

Interview Questions

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!