Trader Joe's

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

2.2

Crew Member Interview

Applied in person and got called about a month later. 15 minute interview with mid level manager. Asked to start the day after my interview. Not flexible on wages during interview process.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I literally filled out an application and handed it in the same day. I received a call back two days later for an interview. I went in for my first interview and it went pretty smoothly. They made me feel comfortable. Three hours after my first interview I received a call back for my second interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions.
      Why do you want to work at Trader Joe's? What's your favorite product? What are your strengths? What motivates you? Describe yourself. What were some issues that you've had in your previous job? Have you received any criticisms from your previous job? What would your old co workers say about you?

View Answer

Part Time Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

This was a mutli-phase interview process (more than I expected) for a part-time position. I first handed in an application and had an on the spot interview with one of the mates. It was more a simple chat about why I decided to apply, what I was looking for, why Trader Joe's, etc. All said and done in about 10 minutes, I was given a card with a number to call if I had any questions.

I didn't hear anything back for months and I called twice both times given the, "application is still on file" answer. One day, out of the blue, I was called back that they wanted me to come in for another interview (I thought I wasn't in the running anymore).

The second interview was more in-depth, offering the chance for me to ask questions and get a much more clear picture of the whole business. The whole conversation felt like a casual chat rather than a professional interview, which was a nice change of pace. Discussed some of the store philosophies, work, personal goals, etc.

Overall, the interviewing was fairly relaxed and insightful. It really sold me on the job. The whole process took way too long, though.

Interview Questions
    None. Offer was made in a hasty, "here is what it is, when can you start?" manner.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Only needed one interview because of a referral from a current employee. Interview lasted 40 minutes, which is decent considering I didn't have to come back for any more interviews. Be yourself and show your positivity to be a part of a growing company!

Availability is also important, so make sure that you lay out this information.

Wage was not negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodstock, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodstock, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I had my first interview on the spot by a nice gentleman that was one of the managers. After a week went by, I received a phone call for my second interview. I had it today with the main managers of the store and they were wonderful! So kind and were really interested in finding out who I was as a person. They asked great questions & took their time. They assured me that I would hear back in a week!

Interview Questions
    • What was a challenge you faced in your previous job & how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What would be your least favorite & most favorite thing to do at this job?   Answer Question
    • What is your availability?   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

All the questions were similar to the ones listed here. No unexpected questions except that they asked me three times why I wanted to work at Trader Joe's.

My hiring process was very expedited and the manager was even surprised how fast I got to him. It was a good experience.

No negotation

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe's does not typically hire people who are only looking for a summer job. They want people that will come in and be there for a long while. They seek individuals with positive attitudes and have good people skills. If you are hirring in as a part-timer they may ask about your lifting abilities (how much you can lift, do you have a problem lifting items over 40 lbs). Do not worry if you cannot lift that much weight, it is not essential towards getting hired there. They really just want people who will be able to converse with customers and maintain the stores happy atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever got into an argument with a fellow worker, and if so, how do you handle it?   View Answer
    They asked how much I would be comfortable making and I gave them a number and they accepted

Part Time Crew Member Interview

After submitting an application, I was called back and interviewed by three separate managers on three separate occasions. They made me feel at home and looked not only at my capabilities but my attitude. The environment is very laid back but there was a very solid ethic of getting things done.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle instruction from women.   View Answer

Part Time Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

This was the most simple and actually ridiculous interview process I'd ever had. I filled out an application in the store on a Friday and immediately interviewed with a full-timer (assistant manager). Basic getting to know you stuff and was told to expect a call. Two days later, on a Sunday morning they called and asked me to come in, which I did. I met with the "Captain" of the store (G.M.) and he spent 15 minutes selling me on Trader Joe's and because of my background, trying to convince me that the position wasn't a "step down" . (It was a HUGE step down but it didn't matter) I worked there for over 5 years and aside from the fact that it wasn't exactly challenging I loved it

They offered 10.00 and increased to 12.50

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Easy Process, but long wait between interviews. It felt a bit unorganized. Questions ranged from situational to more personal questions such as "describe your humor". Dress like those you see in the stores, don't over dress.