Trader Joe's Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Interview

I interviewed with a senior manager. The process was relatively simple and straightforward. I only had one interview and the process took about 3 weeks in total. The manager was straightforward and clear about my expectations. Because I was only part-time, management was flexible regarding my schedule.

Interview Questions

• If I encountered a problem or disagreement with a customer, how would I handle it?   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Handed in my application in person, and the person who took my application asked me two questions: why I wanted to work there and what my favorite food product was. This is a pre-screening type of deal, to make sure you know their products and store. I then was called in for an interview. Typically a two-interview process, I was hired on in one interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation from your past job and explain how you handled it.   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

I printed out the application and filled it out ahead of time. I turned it in and had an immediate, 5 minute interview with an assistant manager. We scheduled a time to come to interview again that week.
    Second interview was a sit down with a crew member. Same thing, scheduled for another interview that week.
    Another crew member interview and was told I would be called. After that, I received a call from a manager, which was technically another "interview" but more about logistics of the position. I was hired then.

I prepared using the interview quesitons on Glassdoor. They were spot-on.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Trader Joes? Tell us about a time you had a great customer service experience?   Answer Question

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Baton Rouge, LA).

Interview

My interview was honestly amazing, the two managers who interviewed me were very laid back and incredibly kind. The ask you basically about your work history and explain different goals they have and how they all work, as well as asking what you would do in certain situations that involved a distraught customer.

Interview Questions

• Why Traders Joe?
      What's your favorite Trader's Joe food?

Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

There was an initial two minute interview when i dropped off my application so they can get to know you and not waste anyone's time. I got a call back around a week later and came in for a ten minute interview with a manager. Another week went by and I got called in for the final interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had a big problem and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Part-time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I was interviewed by 2 mates and the captain on three different occasions. Jobs are sometimes posted on LinkedIn and through word of mouth from the current employees. (Many of my coworkers were hired that way.) The company website is not very accurate with current openings. I heard about an opening from an acquaintance and came in for an interview. I got lucky because the hiring manager was there when I came in (Good times are 1:00-2:00PM Tues. Wed. Usually slow so you can chat up the managers) and he interviewed me right on the spot asking me basic questions about my availability and such.

Interview Questions

• What hours would be ideal for you to work?   1 Answer
    • What's your favorite Trader Joe's product/recipe?   1 Answer
    • Do you prefer to full time or part time?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • What's your favorite dog breed?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's (Culver City, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Turned in application. Waited for a manager to speak to me to say a brief interview I guess just to see if I am worthy to work there. Shorthanded me a card and said give them two weeks to call me. If I don't hear from them by then, give them a call to follow up

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

I submitted the application in-person, then received a follow up call a few days later. I had the first and second interviews within two days of each other, and was able to accept the position very soon afterwards.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Dropped off the application in person, I was unable to see a captain so I spoke to a crew member. He asked me the question below and said I would get a call in about a week. I never got a call back which surprised me as I have excellent customer service skills.

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Very good, easy friendly explain most of work walk around store to show you around. They give you books to learn more about trader joes, from there start till now