Trader Joe's Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.3

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

I printed out the application and filled it out ahead of time. I turned it in and had an immediate, 5 minute interview with an assistant manager. We scheduled a time to come to interview again that week. Second interview was a sit down with a crew member. Same thing, scheduled for another interview that week. Another crew member interview and was told I would be called. After that, I received a call from a manager, which was technically another "interview" but more about logistics of the position. I was hired then. I prepared using the interview quesitons on Glassdoor. They were spot-on.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Trader Joes? Tell us about a time you had a great customer service experience?   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2015.

Interview

Submitted my application, got a callback two weeks later but I was dealing with family issues so I passed on it. Another two weeks pass and I get a call asking if I'm still interested and I set up an interview for three days later. I arrive on time to find they had double-booked the interviews. I wait for thirty minutes and then I talk with the manager. The questions were straightforward, including why I'm interested, what my favorite product of theirs is, and how my background in customer service prepared me for the job. Immediate offer on the spot.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite product here at Trader Joe's?   1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Very relaxed, approachable interview, love it! Seems like most people enjoy working there and have worked there for years (8-17 yrs by those I was interviewed by) or come back time and time again. The starting pay is well above average for other similar types of stores so that is also a big plus in my mind.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite thing to get from Trader Joe's   1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

They ask you fun questions like "what's your most recent regret" or "describe yourself in three words" (I gave them four words instead)--they mostly just want to gauge how well you vibe with them therefore how well you would vibe with customers.

Interview Questions

• What do you wish you could change about yourself? What did you dislike about your last job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Irvine, CA).

Interview

I walked in and filled out a paper application. I turned that in and I was told I would receive a call back if they had any openings. I got the call, had a couple of sit down interviews with different managers, and then they called back for employment. I had another employment opportunity at the same time but I chose this job because I heard so many good things about it.

Bagger/Cart Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2015.

Interview

This is my first ever job and as some people know, it's hard getting a first job especially when you're 17 and a senior in high school like I am. I'm also shy and timid when it comes to talking to any stranger, so just relax and stay calm. Anyways, my aunt was talking to the manager last week and found out that 7 people left the store and they were desperately looking for young people to work. She asked for an application for me and the manager seemed interested in meeting me. After filling out the application, I went in on Tuesday (yesterday) at about 3pm and handed the manager my application. She checked my availability and set up an interview for Wednesday (today) at 11am. I arrived 10 minutes early and walked around a bit and met 2 crew members- a man and a woman. I thought I would be having the interview with the manager but it was with the crew members. We walked to a nearby donut shop and had the interview there. The interview was very brief- I was only asked like 10-13 basic questions since I've never had any job experience before. Be honest when you answer! They didn't mind me saying that I've only been there about 3 times a few years ago, but my mom buys their products so I told them some of my favorites (which they asked me next anyways). They mentioned that working here requires excellent customer service and by excellent they mean greeting every customer with a nice smile and conversation. Not a scripted "Hi, how are you?" They want you to converse with them as if you've been friends for a while. At the end of the interview, they asked if I had any questions for them- I asked them how long they've been there and their views as employees on the company, which they seemed to have really liked! They said they would call me to say if I got the job or not. Luckily, I was sitting outside the donut shop with my aunt and cousin and the interviewer came back out, took me aside and offered me the position! I start next Tuesday and starting pay is $10.50 :).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. I felt like I shouldn't negotiate as it is my first job and the pay is really good to start with.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (San Diego, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview--as described by most users on here--went very well. I was interviewed by two guys that I believe had the title of 'Mate.' I thought I performed well, but i tend to get a little nervous during these situations. I knew a lot about the company and TJ's products, which they seemed impressed with, but I ultimately got a rejection letter six days later. I really want to work for TJ's; I would be a great fit for them. I know it is difficult to judge, but how you interview is NOT indicative of how you were work. It has been proven again and again. They need to realize that when they are interviewing someone for an entry-level position to take many factors in consideration.

Interview Questions

• How would your former employer describe you in three words?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (Charlottesville, VA) in August 2015.

Interview

Had two interviews. When I dropped off the application, they asked me a few questions and scheduled me for my first interview with the store manager (Captain). They were very friendly and interested in how well I could play a part in their work environment. After my first interview the Captain said he'll call me back to follow up within two days. Didn't get a call, so I took the initiative and called 3 days after my interview. They scheduled me for another interview with the Mate. The second interview went a lot better than the first one in my opinion. I felt more refreshed and prepared to answer their expected questions. Afterwards he said they will call me back within the week. Still, no call was made by them. So, I called them a week after my last interview, and they said they are in the process of reviewing all other applicants, and will be getting back in touch with me by the end of the week. I admit, I probably should have just waited until they called me back after each interview, but given the circumstances of my living situations, I was pretty anxious to hear back from them. Still awaiting to hear what they have to say...hopefully it will work out for the best.

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

They ask a few questions about availability, work experience, and knowledge of the company. Make sure to do some research on the website before going in. Sometimes two or three interviews is necessary before management makes a final decision.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Trader Joe's?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trader Joe's (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

had a first interview with mate. Was very casual. Not really hard questions, but have to be prepared. They read the questions off a card so I don't think these are their own personal questions, but a guideline of sorts. Just act calm, casual and honest. Second interview with captain went well. Was offered the job after five minutes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiation, but told me there w as room for a pay raise in the future.