Trader Joe's Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

1st) Print out the application online and hand in to the store.
    2nd) They schedule a first interview with -- in my case -- two "mates"/managers
    3rd) Interview with store captain

Interview Questions
    • It's really basic. Just know their values -- hint: "value" is their main value.   View Answer
    I gave them a range and they offered me the lower end of the range -- of course. No experience no negotiation -- especially since they are so concious about how they have the highest pay in the industry.

Part Time Crew Member Interview

I got an interview on the spot and the "Mate" really liked me. She asked me what my favorite Trader Joe's products were and we both agreed on them. I truly am a TJ shopper so after the interview I went shopping and she flagged me down and had the Captain give me a quick interview as I was going through her line. That went ok. I have to check back with them as they haven't gone through their applications yet.

Crew Member Interview

The hiring and interview process was quick, fun, and simple. I printed out an application online and I filled it out, then I turned it in at Trader Joe's. About a month later I received a call letting me know that they were starting their hiring process and that they'd like to interview me. I had two interviews and was offered a position.

I was moving..

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Easy Process, but long wait between interviews. It felt a bit unorganized. Questions ranged from situational to more personal questions such as "describe your humor". Dress like those you see in the stores, don't over dress.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Walked in and turned in an application I printed out online and filled out. Spoke with a manager when I went to hand it in. They do a mini interview with you on the spot so dress appropriately.They ask you Why do you want to work at Trader Joes? What is your favorite item? Told me they would call with in 2 weeks or so. I called back a week or so later to check on the status of my app. they checked and told me it was still in process, but little did I know calling made them flag my app for an interview. I called back a few days later to check up again and they said they would like to bring me in for an interview. First interview with a Mate was fairly laid back. Asked me why trader joes, my favorite item( so have one already picked out) what would your co-workers have to say about your work ethic, what would your manager say about you, what you liked most/least about your last job, how do you deal with a difficult customer. Got a second interview with the Captain a few days later. Interview again was relaxed feeling asked me questions like what makes your customer service skills great? What did you like most/least about last job. Why trader joes? What would your last manager say about you? a few others I cant remember. Offered me a job right after the interview.
    Keep in mind it took me a long time to get this position. I applied about 3 times to a store and got a letter saying they were not hiring a little bit after and also applied to 2 other stores. be persistent and call or go in to check on your application even tho they said they would call you. It shows you really are interested. Just keep trying :)

Interview Questions
    • No questions I thought were out of the ordinary or really difficult   Answer Question
    Told me what they would pay me. Didnt negotiate. matched pay from my previous job that I was happy with.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Turn in application in person and they'll usually set up an interview then and there. You go through to a second interview if they like you. This is where the captain says yay or nay. I was offered the job the night of my second interview. Whole process took less than 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate, but I heard that you are able to.

Sales Acocate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Two interveiws with mate and captain took Bout two weeks between interveiws then waited about two more weeks before hired. They where very excited to be in a new state and share the experience with new people. Nice now working for a new company to colorado everyone is so happy we are hear

Interview Questions
    No negotiation they had already set what they would pay

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's in September 2014.

You can print from the internet or ask for one when you're in the store. When you fill it out you'll be given a short interview on the spot- to weed out the absolute no's. I've done this step a few times but this time it went well. She asked about my favorite products, why I want to work there etc. We hit it off and she said that she loved my "open availability". She told me to come back and check in a week if I hadn't heard anything. I did that about a week later and I was shot down very rudely being told that "everyone wants to work at Trader Joe's" and that I should check back in two or three weeks. I told him that the manager previously told me that they were hiring and he said that "it was too soon". I left with a sour taste. Maybe a week after that I got a phone call and was asked to come for an interview. The interview went well. I was asked again about my favorite products and seemed to genuinely enjoy talking with me. We talked about retail jobs I'd had before and how I felt about tasking. He told me a bit about the company, he obviously loves his job. He asked if I had any questions and I made sure to ask plenty. He said he'd call in 3-5 days but called THE NEXT DAY. I scheduled a second interview- this time with the Captain. The interview did not go as well. She asked all the same questions and I answered about the same (probably with less enthusiasm) and she again asked if I had any questions. I said I discussed a lot of things in the first interview so I didn't feel I had any new questions. Honestly, I felt let down. She didn't discuss the company at all or what is expected or what they're offering. And she fidgeted a lot, which I thought was a sign of her being uncomfortable or not wanting to talk to me. I didn't get a call or a letter so I assume I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions
    • What is your sense of humor?
      What is the best and worst thing that's happened to you recently?
        View Answer

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Trader Joe's in September 2014.

They had an interview set up at a hotel. We filled out a application and then they calked you in for a interview. This was for a new store that was opening. They told me that 800 people had applied for positions.

Interview Questions
    • What is something that you have done recently that you have regretted?   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's in September 2014.

After checking their website, I saw that 3 local TJ's were hiring and I applied at all three. After a brief 15 minute interview fro the Mate taking my application, only one of the three did not immediately schedule a second interview.
    The first follow up interview lasted an hour and I was asked what I liked about TJ's, why I wanted to work there, what I thought I could contribute, and what a recent "Wow" experience was that I had experienced. It was fairly easy & I had questions for the interviewer to show I was prepared & interested. I have yet to hear back from that location, but they indicated that the process might take 3 weeks.
    The second f/u interview was lengthier and had more questions about my background. I was offered a job on the spot, and I accepted.