Trader Joe's Interview Questions & Reviews

233 interviews

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2011.

Three step process - interview with several "Mates" then finally the "Captain." They want knowledge of product. Ostensible people skills/customer service aptitude. Use common sense when preparing - they like maturity. The store gets a lot of kids coming in with baseball caps and ear buds in when applying. Look like you want the job.

Interview Questions
    • What's your favorite product...if you don't shop there you better at least find something to name.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation for pay. $10.00 per hour max for starting wage.

Part Time Crew Member Interview

When I went to hand in my application and resume I was caught off guard because I had an impromptu interview with one of the crew members. I guess that is their "screening process." Just be as relaxed and friendly as possible and you should be fine. If you made a good impression with whoever you turn in your application to, then they'll call you back to interview with a manager. They like people that are knowledgeable about their products, so do your research!

Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

It was a brand new store opening and they held open interviews. I filled out an application (along with other people at a table) and then a person from a group of interviewers spoke with me. The interview was very laid-back and I felt very comfortable.

Crew Member Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in July 2012.

Fill out application at store, or print out form online and take into store. Expect a Mate, or the Captain, to briefly talk to you. After reviewing your application, and they want to interview you, they will call to set up a time to come into the store for an interview with the Captain and a mate.

Interview Questions
    • What was a problem you had in your last job and how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    You don't negotiate your entry salary. But they usually start people at $12, with is pretty good (better than most retail environments).

Crew Member Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in July 2014.

Went in with my resume and the trader joes application on hand. I spoke to the person in charge who said they weren't hiring right now. I offered up my application he did take it and reviewed it. He asked me about why I wanted to work there. After we talked a few minutes he told me to come in for an interview the next day! I went back, had the second interview and got the job!

They looked at my last salary and offered me slightly more..I accepted

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Really relaxed. More you joke around the better. Asked what favorite food from TJs is and joked around. Talked about what makes a good coworker atmosphere. Overall it was very informal and fun...I think I had more questions than the manager. I just kept being bubbly and cheery and had a great feeling about it...ended up getting the job

Interview Questions
    everyone started at same pay rate

Crew Member Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Trader Joe's in October 2010.

You can print an application online but you must bring it in to the store. You will have a brief interview when you turn in your app. The interview will be with a mate (or also known as an assistant manager). Then you will be called back for interview with the captain (or also known as the store manager). Dont wait for them to call you. You need to call them each week asking if you can come in for an interview. They are always hiring in October, November for Holiday craziness. Shop there!!! so they see your face.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work there? Tell me about your customer service experience. TJ is all about customers   Answer Question
    simple. I asked for what I wanted (asked high) and got just below that. They do give 60cent raises every 6 months. but you have to "work". not slack

Crew Member Interview

I was called in for an interview after being persistent about it. first round was with a novitiate manager. The second round was with 2 higher ups, 1 being the second in command of the store. Super friendly, non-chalant interview. Laid back work environment--as to be expected from a place where managers wear Hawaiian shirts.

Crew Member Interview

interviewed at Trader Joe's in November 2010.

The hiring process is ok. You must have retail and customer service experience and great people skills. They do asking a lot of question but on customer service and how would you wow the customers and make sure they have a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • What your fav. product? but thats only if you ever had anything from there, like me. I was 16 years old when I applied and never had any Trader Joe's products.   View Answer

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Attended job fair, had a 5 minute screening and left, got a call that day to come back in two days, did an interview with two Mates and then the Captain.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite Trader Joe's product and how would you sell it to a customer.   Answer Question

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!