Trader Joe's Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

2.2

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I printed out the application and filled it out ahead of time. I turned it in and had an immediate, 5 minute interview with an assistant manager. We scheduled a time to come to interview again that week.
    Second interview was a sit down with a crew member. Same thing, scheduled for another interview that week.
    Another crew member interview and was told I would be called. After that, I received a call from a manager, which was technically another "interview" but more about logistics of the position. I was hired then.

I prepared using the interview quesitons on Glassdoor. They were spot-on.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Trader Joes? Tell us about a time you had a great customer service experience?   Answer Question

Part-time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I was interviewed by 2 mates and the captain on three different occasions. Jobs are sometimes posted on LinkedIn and through word of mouth from the current employees. (Many of my coworkers were hired that way.) The company website is not very accurate with current openings. I heard about an opening from an acquaintance and came in for an interview. I got lucky because the hiring manager was there when I came in (Good times are 1:00-2:00PM Tues. Wed. Usually slow so you can chat up the managers) and he interviewed me right on the spot asking me basic questions about my availability and such.

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Very good, easy friendly explain most of work walk around store to show you around. They give you books to learn more about trader joes, from there start till now

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

They first screen you when you turn in your application.
    If they like you they will call you back for a sit down interview with the captain and a mate. They both talk to you in a conversational manner. If they liked you at the interview you will get a call back and immediately start training.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite product?
      What is your favorite comedy movie?
      Name a time when you felt you gave a great customer experience?
      What happened with your previous job?

View Answer

Part Time Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview was in rather busy break room due to cold weather; very casual. The questions were geared towards getting a feel for my personality and whether I would fit in working at Trader Joe's. I was more dressed up for the interview than your typical worker there, but felt that was appropriate for having an interview. It was clear towards the end of the interview she thought I was a good fit; I think an offer will come down whether or not the hours I am available are the hours they need workers.

F/T Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Went in and got an application from a mate who was very nice and seemed very eager to have a new crew member. I filled out the form and returned it the same day. Since the captain was not there I got a phone call a few days later to come in the day after I received the call from the captain to interview. The interview was uneventful and I got a conditional job after the day after the interview

Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's in March 2015.

I had 3 interviews. The first one was with a mate, and the second was with a captain. The last one was with the regional manager and was pretty bland and short, but the first 2 were about 15 minutes and went great. I was so confident I was going to get hired. They look for personality and good work ethic. They asked me things like "Why Trader Joe's?" "What products do you like?" "If I were to call your boss, what would he say about you?"I thought it was a bit much to have 3 entire interviews just to work at a grocery store. The whole process really wasn't hard though. They basically have a conversation with you and they do ask you some questions here and there where you need to come up with a good answer fast. Things like "What are your weaknesses?" "Why should we hire you out of all the other applicants?".

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Trader Joe's in March 2015.

Dropped off the application in person, I was unable to see a captain so I spoke to a crew member. He asked me the question below and said I would get a call in about a week. I never got a call back which surprised me as I have excellent customer service skills.

Open Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

I got interviewed on the spot when I dropped off my application. The it was nice, but I was caught of guard with the on the spot interview. You will want to know about the foods they sell there and your favorite food sold there. They will ask you. If you don't know… You won't get hired.

Mate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Trader Joe's in February 2015.

I picked up a paper application and returned the next day with it. Upon dropping it off the store manager asked me some basic questions and looked at my resume and asked some questions about that. He also asked if I read the Crew Mate job requirements, and when I said yes asked what a "WOW" customer experience was to me. This all took place by the busy registers and both of us standing up, so I had to be loud and confident.

Interview Questions
    • What is a "WOW" customer experience to you?   View Answer