Trader Joe's

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.2

Crew Member Interview

I applied in person. They asked me right away"Why Trader Joe's?" I waited a few days, but no one call me. So I went to the store and asked what is the status of my application. I learned that the Captain has a lot of applications to review, and it may take him from two weeks to a month. So I'm waiting - has only been a week. I write this review only because I'm running out of access to Glassdoor term. As suggested by other reviewers , I will show up at the store regularly to be remembered, and that the staff saw that I care for this work.

Interview Questions
    • For now, I was asked only one question: Why Trader Joe's? I have not had an interview yet.   Answer Question

Florist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Very detailed. The interviewer was very friendly and asked questions that could tell if I really had experience. She had me show her my portfolio and put together a couple of arrangements. I have done a lot of weddings and have had a lot of experience. I think I have had a lot more experience than the interviewer herself. She made a couple comments that were not exactly true about processing flowers.

Interview Questions
    • What are your career goals. I found this weird as a florist at Trader Joe's. Not sure how far you can go in a grocery store floral department.   Answer Question
    good.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2015.

The process took me approximately 3~5 days. I filled out an application on a Friday, and was asked to come in for an interview that upcoming Monday. A position was offered to me at the end of the interview, which I called to accept two days later.

The application itself was very basic, about two pages long and primarily giving information about myself and prior work experience. The interview reflected the warm and casual attitude I had come to expect during my years of shopping there; the other crew members I ran into introduced themselves to me, and the interview itself took place in the storeroom. The captain was very sweet, and it felt more like a friendly chat than an official interview. The time not spent going over my goals and future plans was focused on details of the job, such as the expectation of workers to be in on weekends, the varied workload, etc. I was offered a position on the spot, then called to accept not long after.

This was my first time interviewing for a job, and it was a very pleasant one. This particular Trader Joe's adheres to the same friendliness behind the scenes that the company boasts to their customers. However, there is an expectation that you are familiar with the store and its products when you walk through that door. I was asked a couple of times why I wanted to work there, and which products are my favourite. If you have passion for other people and are a fan of the store, you will do just fine. Just relax and be yourself!

Interview Questions
    • What are your favourite products?   View Answer
    • What are your goals, and how would this position help you achieve them?   View Answer
    • Why do you want to work at Trader Joe's?   View Answer
    The salary I offered was far higher than what I had gone in hoping for, and being a part-time position, there were no benefits. Be aware that this is retail, meaning the hours can be unpredictable and you will be expected to work the weekends.

Crew Member Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

When I dropped off the application, I had an in person five minute interview. I had another in person interview with two of the store managers that was about 30 minutes. They just asked general questions, nothing too difficult. They were really nice and made me feel really comfortable. Offered the job after the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary just expected everyone to be available to work whenever since its a retail job.   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate my way up to $15/hour which they said they don't typically offer that high.

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

After unsuccessfully applying to Trader Joe's on-line, I decided to walk in and fill-out a paper application. The paper application was much more simplified than the on-line application and took only 20 mins. to complete. I handed over the application to the manager on duty and he asked me two (2) questions: 1.) Why Trader Joe's & 2.) What's your favorite food here. Two general screen questions, I learned later, to get a sense of what the candidates personality and interests are. It helps if you are a "foodie", as they like to call themselves. The manager said he would call me back in a few weeks, after the holidays, and sure enough, they did.

Have had an initial interview with Captain and await next steps.

Mate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

As an outside, or off the street hire, you typically can expect the following:
    1.) Initial phone screening from office in Monrovia
    2.) Meet with a store GM, or Captain
    3.) If they recommend, meet with another store GM/Captain
    4.) Meet with the regional to sign off

Interview Questions
    • Trader Joe's interviews are typically standard and laid-back. They may ask you to walk the store and then give them your input.   View Answer
    I was very new to negotiating aka I DIDN'T negotiate at all. They will definitely ask what you made at your last job. If you have any management experience, I suggest you inflate your salary some and then negotiate once you get an initial offer

Part-time Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

You MUST apply in person and try not to apply on the weekend as that's when the store is busiest and the mates won't have as much time to chat with you. When you turn your application in, a mate (assistant manager) will ask you a few questions (why you're interested in working here?) and will briefly look at your application, mostly at your work availability. After that, they may call you for a first interview with a mate and if you pass that, you'll get a second interview with the captain (manager).

Interview Questions
    • What is the best decision you have made? What is the worst decision you have made? If a fellow crew member told you that you needed to work faster, how would you respond?   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Applied in person and got called about a month later. 15 minute interview with mid level manager. Asked to start the day after my interview. Not flexible on wages during interview process.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I literally filled out an application and handed it in the same day. I received a call back two days later for an interview. I went in for my first interview and it went pretty smoothly. They made me feel comfortable. Three hours after my first interview I received a call back for my second interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions.
      Why do you want to work at Trader Joe's? What's your favorite product? What are your strengths? What motivates you? Describe yourself. What were some issues that you've had in your previous job? Have you received any criticisms from your previous job? What would your old co workers say about you?

View Answer

Part Time Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

This was a mutli-phase interview process (more than I expected) for a part-time position. I first handed in an application and had an on the spot interview with one of the mates. It was more a simple chat about why I decided to apply, what I was looking for, why Trader Joe's, etc. All said and done in about 10 minutes, I was given a card with a number to call if I had any questions.

I didn't hear anything back for months and I called twice both times given the, "application is still on file" answer. One day, out of the blue, I was called back that they wanted me to come in for another interview (I thought I wasn't in the running anymore).

The second interview was more in-depth, offering the chance for me to ask questions and get a much more clear picture of the whole business. The whole conversation felt like a casual chat rather than a professional interview, which was a nice change of pace. Discussed some of the store philosophies, work, personal goals, etc.

Overall, the interviewing was fairly relaxed and insightful. It really sold me on the job. The whole process took way too long, though.

Interview Questions
    None. Offer was made in a hasty, "here is what it is, when can you start?" manner.