Trader Joe's

190 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2013.

Interview Details – Very thorough and go in depth with your experience related to the job. Very customer service oriented. How do you work with teams.

Interview Question – How do you have fun at work?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very easy they offered and I countered and was somewhere in the middle.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview Details – I asked for an application in person at the captain's desk at the store and submitted it that day. I met with the captain in person a few days later and spoke with him for about 30 minutes about my background and previous work/study experience. I was offered a job then and there and started the next week.

Interview Question – The interview with the captain was mostly a get-to-know-you conversation. He did ask some questions about work ethic and some behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered $13/hr to start, which was pretty good for this kind of work.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2014.

Interview Details – Its pretty straightforward - they mini interview you when you turn in the app. Thrown you get an interview with a Mate. If that goes well, you get an interview with another Mate. And then if they plan to hire you, then you will meet the Captain.

Interview Question – Describe a dish you would make with our products.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in October 2010.

Interview Details – very casual meeting. your demeanor and level of friendliness and enthusiasm is important. being an excellent team player is key.

Interview Question – typical retail interview questions, how to handle difficult customers, how easily you adapt to new situations   Answer Question

Shrewsbury, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2011.

Interview Details – Interview was conducted in the hallway with other job seekers waiting on line behind you. Not very professional, but they understand their company is in high demand. Their excellent reputation did not match their anticipated level of business etiquette. Their initial response for the interview was quick, but the interview questions that were asked showed their team to be unprepared. I was very disappointed to say the least. Being asked inappropriate questions, removed any opportunity to hire me. I wasn't interested immediately. If the company behaved this way in an interview process, then it was clear to me that working there wasn't a right fit for me.

Interview Question – Unexpected Question: "Are you married?"   View Answer

Applicant Interview

I applied in-person and interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview Details – When I first handed in my application the manager confirmed my knowledge that Trader Joe's was not currently hiring (I checked the web site previously). However, he was very friendly and encouraged me by saying he would review my application anyway and keep it on file just in case something came up. He encouraged me to call and check in and he asked me a few questions on the spot about some of the information in my application. I was so delighted when I was called for an interview about a week later. When I went in for the official (first?) interview, two assistant managers conducted it. They only asked me two questions! They asked me why I wanted to work there and if I thought I was capable of carrying out the duties in the job description. They were both dressed in their Hawaiian shirts and jeans, very casual, so I wouldn't recommend dressing up too much, and they were both extremely friendly and non-threatening. They said they would call me one way or the other in the next two weeks and while I write this it is the start of the second week, so I'm still crossing my fingers!

Interview Question – Even though I thought about my answer ahead of time - I was still thrown when they asked me why I wanted to work there! I went on and on about how much I love *shopping* there without stating the reasons I wanted to *work* there . . . sigh.   View Answer

Part-time Crew Member Interview

Part-time Crew Member
Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in October 2012.

Interview Details – Turned in application and got a brief interview from a mate. He approved of me and set up a meeting the next day. I met with another mate that morning and we talked sitting on a bench outside of target, which was fairly awkward, as homeless guys also like to sit there and shout. I thought they could have put more effort into finding a more suitable location for the interview. But despite that it went well and he requested I meet with the captain later on that same day, which I was willing to do. A few hours later, I spoke with the store captain at a table outside a sandwich place, which was slightly better than the Target bench, but still awkward. Things went well, and it seemed more of a final vetting than an exploratory interview, like he kept saying things like, "You're going to be doing such and such. Are you ok with that?" implying that I already had the job. I got called just two days later and offered the job. It was a very fast, largely pleasant experience, excepting the poor locations.

Interview Question – The captain quizzed me a bit on the history of Trader Joe's. Luckily, I had read the info on their website and answered them all correctly, which I think seriously impressed him, so definitely do your homework before going in.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – We negotiated before the offer. I really needed the gig so I didn't negotiate too much. Plus I know these hourly wages are pretty set in stone.

Trader Joes Interview

Trader Joes

Interviewed at Trader Joe's

Interview Details – you get one to two interviews. if they want to hire you'll get a call back soon.

Interview Question – what is your favorite product?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Part Time Crew Member
Florham Park, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2012.

Interview Details – 3 interviews before an offer was made.

Interview Question – Questions were easy.   Answer Question

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

Mate (Assistant Manager)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Trader Joe's in November 2013.

Interview Details – The beginning of the process was very positive. A 45 minute phone interview is the first step, then an interview with a Store Manager, then another interview with a different Store Manager, then finally an interview with the Regional Manager. The process took 12 weeks! Weeks went by without any communication. The corporate HR people are nice and professional, but clearly have a lot on their plates. Both Store Managers that I met with were warm and I had great conversations. The HR contact commented on how positive the feedback from them was about me. A month after the interview with the second manager I had an interview with the Regional Manager. He was not personable, friendly or very pleasant. A Store Manager sat in on the interview and didn't say a word, even when prompted. Bizarre. Two weeks later the corporate contact called to say that they were going with another candidate. I have many years of retail GM experience. I was quite disappointed and confused.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Trader Joe's

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Trader Joe's interview questions and advice. All 190 interview reviews posted anonymously by Trader Joe's employees and interview candidates.