Trader Joe's

Average Difficulty
228 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Crew Member

I interviewed at Trader Joe's in November 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process is ok. You must have retail and customer service experience and great people skills. They do asking a lot of question but on customer service and how would you wow the customers and make sure they have a good experience.

Interview Question – What your fav. product? but thats only if you ever had anything from there, like me. I was 16 years old when I applied and never had any Trader Joe's products.   View Answer

Interviewed at Trader Joe's

Interview Details – I was called in for an interview after being persistent about it. first round was with a novitiate manager. The second round was with 2 higher ups, 1 being the second in command of the store. Super friendly, non-chalant interview. Laid back work environment--as to be expected from a place where managers wear Hawaiian shirts.

Crew Member

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in July 2014.

Interview Details – Went in with my resume and the trader joes application on hand. I spoke to the person in charge who said they weren't hiring right now. I offered up my application he did take it and reviewed it. He asked me about why I wanted to work there. After we talked a few minutes he told me to come in for an interview the next day! I went back, had the second interview and got the job!

Negotiation Details – They looked at my last salary and offered me slightly more..I accepted

Very Easy Interview

Part Time Crew Member

I applied in-person and interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview Details – Attended job fair, had a 5 minute screening and left, got a call that day to come back in two days, did an interview with two Mates and then the Captain.

Interview Question – What is your favorite Trader Joe's product and how would you sell it to a customer.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Pasadena, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Trader Joe's in February 2013.

Interview Details – I walked into the Trader Joe's store to submit a resume in person. Upon handing it to the manager he asked if I was available to interview on the spot. I agreed and we stepped to the side and had a casual interview that lasted about 15 minutes. I was asked questions such as: whether I had experience as a cashier, what I think the daily tasks over a Trader Joe's employee are, and what my favorite Trader Joe's products are.

Interview Question – The unexpected question for me was what my favorite Trader Joe's brand products are, I had to stop and think about specifically which products I buy the most and why I like them. Make sure you are familiar with their products and store layout before you begin the interview.   View Answer

F/T Crew Member Interview

F/T Crew Member
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview Details – Three interviews each with two Mates (Assistant Managers). They basically want to see how customer focused you are and what skills you possess in dealing with people and get a feel from you as to how you will interact with the rest of the crew.

Interview Question – Name a recent difficult interaction you had with a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not a whole lot of room for negotiation.

Crew Member

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2014.

Interview Details – Update :Recieved an offer to work and accepted it! I hope my experience will help anyone else looking to get started with Trader Joes.

Applied in person and they ask you what your favorite product is, a little bit about yourself, very informall infact, you'll probably be in and out in less then a couple minutes. Be professional and friendly though cause whoever you see makes an initial note of you. Also, if you can talk directly to a mate or a manager/captain the more the better. So I applied, got a call back for an interview in about a weeks time of waiting. I interviewed with 2 young ladies, 1 about early 30s, 1 about mid-late 20s. I'm a 22 year old male so interviewing with 2 girls was very easy and relaxing. They were very relaxing, outgoing, yet professional so try to gauge your interviewers personality with your responses. Here's what they asked me:

1. Tell me about yourself
- are you in school? -tell me a little bit about your past work experience
-not gonna get into this as it's pretty standard

2. Why do you want to work at trader Joes
-I said " Why not trader joes? I mean I could apply to safeway but whenever I walk into trader joes I always get positive vibes from not only the customers but the employees as well. I often see alot of genuine interactions going on and great customer service at the same time and based on my past work experience this is the type of environment I thrive in and I definitely see myself working here"

4. What do you expect to be doing here at trader joes
- I said "I'm open to everything whether it be register, stocking, inventory, cart return, samples. I noticed that the employees are often doing various jobs and I don't expect to be on just the register my whole shift".
-i tried to make it a point that I'm open to whatever they want me to do

5. Describe yourself in 3 words:
-I said " compassionate team player because it definitely takes someone who is willing to be understanding in this type of work environment especially towards customers and also customers who may not be having the best day. It also takes someone who is willing to work cooperatively with others because it makes everything so much better and everyone benefits from it".

6. What do you think you bring to the table
-This one kind of stumped me because I didn't anticipate they'd ask me this and it kinda ties into the last question and i felt it was redundant and to be honest I don't remember what I said but I did relate back to my last answer

7. How do you go about a disgruntled customer
- I said " well you have to realize that when a customer comes in angry he's usually not upset at you and usually it just takes a little bit of compassion and understanding and just listening to what that person has to say and responding in a way that gets them to reciprocate the same feelings. If you don't have an item they're looking for, then do what you can to help them whether it be calling another store to see if they have it, or reassuring them when the next time the store will have it. There's only so much you can do but alot of it is just being a good listener"

Those were the major questions i think and the interview lasted awhile cause we were just kinda talking. I noticed while she was intervewing me she had this paper with a chart on it and she would mark it every now and then. not sure what it was but I'm pretty sure it was a rubric and she was grading me on my responses. The older lady who mostly asked me questions would say "great" after i gave a good answer so im guessing that's good.

Final Tips:
-Smile
-Ask relevant questions that show you care.
-Gauge your response with your interviewers personality
-CHECK FOR BODY LANGUAGE. I noticed the two girls I interviewed with both crossed their legs towards me after about 8 minutes, pupils dilated, and hands fiddling which showed me I had established a comfort zone...try to achieve this.
-Reciprocate positive body language.
-BE YOURSELF..don't try to impress them with things your not. Being honest is a lot easier then trying to make yourself seem better then your cut out for.
-Don't be nervous...if you are chances are you will mess up and not get the job cause they can tell by your breathing, sentence stutters, and body language. Again, be yourself.

Interview Question – What do you bring to the table?   View Answer

Interviewed at Trader Joe's

Interview Details – I applied at the store, and did a quick q and a with the employee who took my application. Yesterday I got a letter in the mail (weeks later) with a note saying they have decided not to call me in for an interview. It was a very random, and not terribly professional letter. I have no idea why they would send it: kind of like a kick in the teeth as I had already assumed they weren't hiring, and got a job at another store. Now I am left to wonder what went so wrong with my application that I wasnt called in?

Any way I am happy not to be working there as I am now at a store that has a much nicer customer base. Trader Joe's in Portland, Maine gets a lot of demanding fuss budgets.

Interview Question – Why do you want towork here.   Answer Question

Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in March 2014.

Interview Details – very easy and laid back interview. i interviewed with two people both times. they were very easy going. not too many questions. ask you do you want to work there. make sure your availibility is very open. they like someonne who is wiling to work whenever they need somebody. make sure you are very polite and well mannared

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

Mate (Assistant Manager)

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview Details – The interview process was the best I have ever gone through with any company. I got one interview after another very quickly and felt as though it was more like a chat with a friend then an interview!

Interview Question – Make a meal using only Trader Joe's products   Answer Question

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!