Trader Joe's

Updated Nov 22, 2014

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodstock, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodstock, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I had my first interview on the spot by a nice gentleman that was one of the managers. After a week went by, I received a phone call for my second interview. I had it today with the main managers of the store and they were wonderful! So kind and were really interested in finding out who I was as a person. They asked great questions & took their time. They assured me that I would hear back in a week!

Interview Questions
    • What was a challenge you faced in your previous job & how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What would be your least favorite & most favorite thing to do at this job?   Answer Question
    • What is your availability?   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

All the questions were similar to the ones listed here. No unexpected questions except that they asked me three times why I wanted to work at Trader Joe's.

My hiring process was very expedited and the manager was even surprised how fast I got to him. It was a good experience.

No negotation

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe's does not typically hire people who are only looking for a summer job. They want people that will come in and be there for a long while. They seek individuals with positive attitudes and have good people skills. If you are hirring in as a part-timer they may ask about your lifting abilities (how much you can lift, do you have a problem lifting items over 40 lbs). Do not worry if you cannot lift that much weight, it is not essential towards getting hired there. They really just want people who will be able to converse with customers and maintain the stores happy atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever got into an argument with a fellow worker, and if so, how do you handle it?   View Answer
    They asked how much I would be comfortable making and I gave them a number and they accepted

Part Time Crew Member Interview

After submitting an application, I was called back and interviewed by three separate managers on three separate occasions. They made me feel at home and looked not only at my capabilities but my attitude. The environment is very laid back but there was a very solid ethic of getting things done.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle instruction from women.   View Answer

Part Time Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

This was the most simple and actually ridiculous interview process I'd ever had. I filled out an application in the store on a Friday and immediately interviewed with a full-timer (assistant manager). Basic getting to know you stuff and was told to expect a call. Two days later, on a Sunday morning they called and asked me to come in, which I did. I met with the "Captain" of the store (G.M.) and he spent 15 minutes selling me on Trader Joe's and because of my background, trying to convince me that the position wasn't a "step down" . (It was a HUGE step down but it didn't matter) I worked there for over 5 years and aside from the fact that it wasn't exactly challenging I loved it

They offered 10.00 and increased to 12.50

Part Time Crew Member Interview

I got an interview on the spot and the "Mate" really liked me. She asked me what my favorite Trader Joe's products were and we both agreed on them. I truly am a TJ shopper so after the interview I went shopping and she flagged me down and had the Captain give me a quick interview as I was going through her line. That went ok. I have to check back with them as they haven't gone through their applications yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I went in to turn in my application and had a mini impromptu interview on the spot. I was asked what my favorite Trader Joe's product was and why I want to work there. I was immediately asked to come in for an interview the next day. The interview was very relaxed and they asked relatively easy questions. All the questions are basically on this Glassdoor website. At the end of the interview I was told they would get back to me within the next week but they called me the next day! They asked me to come in for a follow up interview tomorrow with the store manager or "Captain" and another Mate. The interview was very relaxed again and they basically asked me the same questions but with an emphasis on my previous work experience. The interview went well and they told me they would let me know if I got the job that same day. The whole hiring process took only 4 days and it was very easygoing. They made it clear that they hire mostly based on personality so just be yourself!

Interview Questions
    • What is something you've done that you recently regret?
      What is something that frustrates you?
        Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because they offered me $10/hour to start (min wage in Florida is >$8) even though I had no experience in retail.

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Easy Process, but long wait between interviews. It felt a bit unorganized. Questions ranged from situational to more personal questions such as "describe your humor". Dress like those you see in the stores, don't over dress.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

1st) Print out the application online and hand in to the store.
    2nd) They schedule a first interview with -- in my case -- two "mates"/managers
    3rd) Interview with store captain

Interview Questions
    • It's really basic. Just know their values -- hint: "value" is their main value.   View Answer
    I gave them a range and they offered me the lower end of the range -- of course. No experience no negotiation -- especially since they are so concious about how they have the highest pay in the industry.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Walked in and turned in an application I printed out online and filled out. Spoke with a manager when I went to hand it in. They do a mini interview with you on the spot so dress appropriately.They ask you Why do you want to work at Trader Joes? What is your favorite item? Told me they would call with in 2 weeks or so. I called back a week or so later to check on the status of my app. they checked and told me it was still in process, but little did I know calling made them flag my app for an interview. I called back a few days later to check up again and they said they would like to bring me in for an interview. First interview with a Mate was fairly laid back. Asked me why trader joes, my favorite item( so have one already picked out) what would your co-workers have to say about your work ethic, what would your manager say about you, what you liked most/least about your last job, how do you deal with a difficult customer. Got a second interview with the Captain a few days later. Interview again was relaxed feeling asked me questions like what makes your customer service skills great? What did you like most/least about last job. Why trader joes? What would your last manager say about you? a few others I cant remember. Offered me a job right after the interview.
    Keep in mind it took me a long time to get this position. I applied about 3 times to a store and got a letter saying they were not hiring a little bit after and also applied to 2 other stores. be persistent and call or go in to check on your application even tho they said they would call you. It shows you really are interested. Just keep trying :)

Interview Questions
    • No questions I thought were out of the ordinary or really difficult   Answer Question
    Told me what they would pay me. Didnt negotiate. matched pay from my previous job that I was happy with.