Trader Joe's

Average Difficulty
227 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Trader Joe's

Interview Details – Applied in person. Three part interview, one when I turned in my application and two scheduled interviews and each with several different members of the staff. Very fun and laid back interview. Basic interview questions and the most unexpected question was what would I cook for dinner to impress them. Also, know their products well.

Interview Question – What would you cook us for dinner?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2013.

Interview Details – The process it self was not hard at all. I went to drop of my application and just my luck one of the mangers were there. He asked me a couple of questions about trader Joe's. Sadly, I did not know much about the company and right off the bat the manager could tell I was not to familiar with the company.

Interview Question – What is your favorite product ?
Tell me about the company ?
Why work here ?
Easy Questions I just lacked some knowledge.
  Answer Question

Raleigh, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in September 2013.

Interview Details – Dropped off application at store and had brief screening by a full timer. (asked why I wanted to work at TJ's, available hours I was able to work that I filled in on app. were correct. I was called for interview with 2 full timers. Two days later back by store Captain for another interview.

Interview Question – Asked if I shopped there and what products I liked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing to negotiate. They want very open availabably but you can say days you don't want to work as long as they aren't the busiest i.e. weekends.

Very Easy Interview

La Canada Flintridge, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in person at a location I new didn't have an opening but I really like the location and wanted to drop off my resume and application downloaded from their website (they are always accepting applications), they took my application and asked the following questions;

1. Are you a regular customer of Trader Joe's, if so what are 3 favorite items and why are they your favorite?
2. What your experience, how much do you know about the job?
3. Have you ever used a mini pallet mover (I forget the name right now), how about the big pallet mover?

They said a lot of people want to work for Trader Joe's because it is a happy place but what's not always taken into account is all the physical work involved with stocking the store.

They asked to follow up with them every few weeks by phone to check if they have an opening and thats the end of our talk.

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Trader Joe's in June 2014.

Interview Details – I handed in my application had an initial interview there where they asked a few questions then I was called three days later for an interview. Had my interview on Wednesday and I'm still waiting for a call back for a 2nd interview I hope I get it if not then the experience was great umm they asked me why I wanted to work for trader joes, describe your self , describe a difficult customer and how you handled it, always smile, why do you wanna work at joes?

Interview Question – what is customer service to you   Answer Question

Part Time Crew Member

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview Details – You turn in your application and they screen you with a couple of questions like "why trader joe's?" and "what do you do for fun?". Then if they like you they will call you within the week for a first interview with a mate. If they like you after that interview they will bring you in for a second interview with the captain, and you will find out if you get the job or not in up to 10 days.

Interview Question – What was your worst experience with a customer and how did you react?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation from what I remember, I was desperate for a job so I didn't even ask about wage. I got placed slightly above minimum wage

Section Leader/Clerk Interview

Section Leader/Clerk
La Crescenta, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview Details – I first interviewed with a man and a women. They asked me about my experience and what kind of a worker I was. I was invited back for a second interview and a young man interviewed me. He basically asked the same kind of questions. It was very easy

Interview Question – What kind of a store do you think Trader Joe's is?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered my $9.00 an hour but I received three $1.00 raises my first year with the company.

State College, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in October 2012.

Interview Details – Talked with the store manager when a new store was opening up in our town and was offered a job as they were looking for people who knew the brand. Came back another day for a sit down about my previous work experience, it was fairly informal and hiring was quick. Was hired the same day.

Interview Question – "What makes you think you want to work at Trader Joe's?"   Answer Question

First Mate Interview

First Mate
Kansas City, KS

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was first thing on a holiday morning which seemed odd. Went to a nearby Starbucks with two employees. I was told I would hear within two weeks. Told I would never have weekends off, never a Saturday & Sunday off back to back. The days off would be rotating amongst management. The times scheduled to be there would also change from first to mid to close each week.

Interview Question – Tell me about a past problem you've had with an employee and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Crew Member

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2014.

Interview Details – I went in to fill out an application and had my mini-interview (wasn't expecting that). The Trader Joe's I applied to is brand new and is opening next month so there were a few other applicants waiting to be interviewed. This mini-interview went very smoothly; it lasted about 10 minutes and the questions were relatively easy. Even thought I have no job experience whatsoever, the recruiter really liked my outgoing and friendly personality and decided I qualified for a main interview.

I had my interview 6 days later with two friendly mates. I stayed calm, smiled a lot (they commented that they liked how much I smiled), and answered all of my questions enthusiastically. They were pretty straightforward and easy questions to get through. The mates were so friendly and nice that I didn't get nervous at all and I'm a very nervous person sometimes. I got a call back driving home after the interview and got the job.

Interview Question – All of the questions were very easy to answer. Just read through previous questions and you'll do fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. I was very happy with what they offered me. :)