Trader Joe's

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.2

Crew Member Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

When I dropped off the application, I had an in person five minute interview. I had another in person interview with two of the store managers that was about 30 minutes. They just asked general questions, nothing too difficult. They were really nice and made me feel really comfortable. Offered the job after the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary just expected everyone to be available to work whenever since its a retail job.   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate my way up to $15/hour which they said they don't typically offer that high.

Mate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

As an outside, or off the street hire, you typically can expect the following:
    1.) Initial phone screening from office in Monrovia
    2.) Meet with a store GM, or Captain
    3.) If they recommend, meet with another store GM/Captain
    4.) Meet with the regional to sign off

Interview Questions
    • Trader Joe's interviews are typically standard and laid-back. They may ask you to walk the store and then give them your input.   View Answer
    I was very new to negotiating aka I DIDN'T negotiate at all. They will definitely ask what you made at your last job. If you have any management experience, I suggest you inflate your salary some and then negotiate once you get an initial offer

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

After unsuccessfully applying to Trader Joe's on-line, I decided to walk in and fill-out a paper application. The paper application was much more simplified than the on-line application and took only 20 mins. to complete. I handed over the application to the manager on duty and he asked me two (2) questions: 1.) Why Trader Joe's & 2.) What's your favorite food here. Two general screen questions, I learned later, to get a sense of what the candidates personality and interests are. It helps if you are a "foodie", as they like to call themselves. The manager said he would call me back in a few weeks, after the holidays, and sure enough, they did.

Have had an initial interview with Captain and await next steps.

Part-time Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

You MUST apply in person and try not to apply on the weekend as that's when the store is busiest and the mates won't have as much time to chat with you. When you turn your application in, a mate (assistant manager) will ask you a few questions (why you're interested in working here?) and will briefly look at your application, mostly at your work availability. After that, they may call you for a first interview with a mate and if you pass that, you'll get a second interview with the captain (manager).

Interview Questions
    • What is the best decision you have made? What is the worst decision you have made? If a fellow crew member told you that you needed to work faster, how would you respond?   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I literally filled out an application and handed it in the same day. I received a call back two days later for an interview. I went in for my first interview and it went pretty smoothly. They made me feel comfortable. Three hours after my first interview I received a call back for my second interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions.
      Why do you want to work at Trader Joe's? What's your favorite product? What are your strengths? What motivates you? Describe yourself. What were some issues that you've had in your previous job? Have you received any criticisms from your previous job? What would your old co workers say about you?

View Answer

Crew Member Interview

Applied in person and got called about a month later. 15 minute interview with mid level manager. Asked to start the day after my interview. Not flexible on wages during interview process.

Part Time Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

This was a mutli-phase interview process (more than I expected) for a part-time position. I first handed in an application and had an on the spot interview with one of the mates. It was more a simple chat about why I decided to apply, what I was looking for, why Trader Joe's, etc. All said and done in about 10 minutes, I was given a card with a number to call if I had any questions.

I didn't hear anything back for months and I called twice both times given the, "application is still on file" answer. One day, out of the blue, I was called back that they wanted me to come in for another interview (I thought I wasn't in the running anymore).

The second interview was more in-depth, offering the chance for me to ask questions and get a much more clear picture of the whole business. The whole conversation felt like a casual chat rather than a professional interview, which was a nice change of pace. Discussed some of the store philosophies, work, personal goals, etc.

Overall, the interviewing was fairly relaxed and insightful. It really sold me on the job. The whole process took way too long, though.

Interview Questions
    None. Offer was made in a hasty, "here is what it is, when can you start?" manner.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

They tell you that they will call you, but, most likely will not. However, if you contact them too often asking about the job, they won't hire you either, so it's all about finding a balance and being proactive. Years ago, they had a math test in the application which you had to pass in order to get hired. Also, you had to be able to lift a certain amount of weight to get hired. You may be able to negotiate your pay based on experience.
    If you get the job, be prepared to work most, if not all, weekends. Also, the hours can vary - one week you're coming in as early as 4 AM and the next you're leaving around midnight. Sometimes, depending on your availability, you'll have an early and a ate shift one after the other with only an 8 hour turn-around.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult/rude customer?   View Answer
    I was a teenager and didn't know I could negotiate. If I knew then what I know now, I would have asked for more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Only needed one interview because of a referral from a current employee. Interview lasted 40 minutes, which is decent considering I didn't have to come back for any more interviews. Be yourself and show your positivity to be a part of a growing company!

Availability is also important, so make sure that you lay out this information.

Wage was not negotiable.

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodstock, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodstock, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I had my first interview on the spot by a nice gentleman that was one of the managers. After a week went by, I received a phone call for my second interview. I had it today with the main managers of the store and they were wonderful! So kind and were really interested in finding out who I was as a person. They asked great questions & took their time. They assured me that I would hear back in a week!

Interview Questions
    • What was a challenge you faced in your previous job & how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What would be your least favorite & most favorite thing to do at this job?   Answer Question
    • What is your availability?   Answer Question