Trader Joe's

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.2

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Trader Joe's in September 2014.

They had an interview set up at a hotel. We filled out a application and then they calked you in for a interview. This was for a new store that was opening. They told me that 800 people had applied for positions.

Interview Questions
    • What is something that you have done recently that you have regretted?   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's in September 2014.

After checking their website, I saw that 3 local TJ's were hiring and I applied at all three. After a brief 15 minute interview fro the Mate taking my application, only one of the three did not immediately schedule a second interview.
    The first follow up interview lasted an hour and I was asked what I liked about TJ's, why I wanted to work there, what I thought I could contribute, and what a recent "Wow" experience was that I had experienced. It was fairly easy & I had questions for the interviewer to show I was prepared & interested. I have yet to hear back from that location, but they indicated that the process might take 3 weeks.
    The second f/u interview was lengthier and had more questions about my background. I was offered a job on the spot, and I accepted.

Part Time Crew Member Interview

When I went to hand in my application and resume I was caught off guard because I had an impromptu interview with one of the crew members. I guess that is their "screening process." Just be as relaxed and friendly as possible and you should be fine. If you made a good impression with whoever you turn in your application to, then they'll call you back to interview with a manager. They like people that are knowledgeable about their products, so do your research!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

It was a brand new store opening and they held open interviews. I filled out an application (along with other people at a table) and then a person from a group of interviewers spoke with me. The interview was very laid-back and I felt very comfortable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clarendon, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clarendon, VA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

I dropped off the application in Arlington location, va and had a short interview with a manager right away (not sure if he was a captain or mate). He asked me why I wanted to work there and if I was familiar with the products they sell, also asked about my favorite items which I have a lot because I buy groceries in trader joe all the time. After that I was told to come back the next day for the interview with a mate. The next day I had an interview at the back of the store in a storage room among boxes. The manager was friendly and relaxed. He asked me the same things few times and I gave him pretty much the same answers, not sure if it was some kind of a trick to catch me if I remember what I had said before or he was not paying attention to what I was saying. :) Among the things he asked there were my favorite items to buy in the store, how I deal with difficult customers, what I do to maintain a friendly and fun atmosphere with a crew, how I solve problems with co-workers, what I like for dinner, favorite food, favorite recipe to cook, dream job, how I see myself in 5 years, what decisions in my life I regret and some other. At the end he asked if I had any questions which I did not really have because I read about the company the night before so I asked when I could start. Probably that was my mistake because he said that it was something too direct to ask. ok! :) I asked what was the next thing in the process and was told he would give me a call next week. and next week he said they would not hire me. Ж:(

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2014.

Update :Recieved an offer to work and accepted it! I hope my experience will help anyone else looking to get started with Trader Joes.

Applied in person and they ask you what your favorite product is, a little bit about yourself, very informall infact, you'll probably be in and out in less then a couple minutes. Be professional and friendly though cause whoever you see makes an initial note of you. Also, if you can talk directly to a mate or a manager/captain the more the better. So I applied, got a call back for an interview in about a weeks time of waiting. I interviewed with 2 young ladies, 1 about early 30s, 1 about mid-late 20s. I'm a 22 year old male so interviewing with 2 girls was very easy and relaxing. They were very relaxing, outgoing, yet professional so try to gauge your interviewers personality with your responses. Here's what they asked me:

1. Tell me about yourself
    - are you in school? -tell me a little bit about your past work experience
    -not gonna get into this as it's pretty standard

2. Why do you want to work at trader Joes
    -I said " Why not trader joes? I mean I could apply to safeway but whenever I walk into trader joes I always get positive vibes from not only the customers but the employees as well. I often see alot of genuine interactions going on and great customer service at the same time and based on my past work experience this is the type of environment I thrive in and I definitely see myself working here"

4. What do you expect to be doing here at trader joes
    - I said "I'm open to everything whether it be register, stocking, inventory, cart return, samples. I noticed that the employees are often doing various jobs and I don't expect to be on just the register my whole shift".
    -i tried to make it a point that I'm open to whatever they want me to do

5. Describe yourself in 3 words:
    -I said " compassionate team player because it definitely takes someone who is willing to be understanding in this type of work environment especially towards customers and also customers who may not be having the best day. It also takes someone who is willing to work cooperatively with others because it makes everything so much better and everyone benefits from it".

6. What do you think you bring to the table
    -This one kind of stumped me because I didn't anticipate they'd ask me this and it kinda ties into the last question and i felt it was redundant and to be honest I don't remember what I said but I did relate back to my last answer

7. How do you go about a disgruntled customer
    - I said " well you have to realize that when a customer comes in angry he's usually not upset at you and usually it just takes a little bit of compassion and understanding and just listening to what that person has to say and responding in a way that gets them to reciprocate the same feelings. If you don't have an item they're looking for, then do what you can to help them whether it be calling another store to see if they have it, or reassuring them when the next time the store will have it. There's only so much you can do but alot of it is just being a good listener"

Those were the major questions i think and the interview lasted awhile cause we were just kinda talking. I noticed while she was intervewing me she had this paper with a chart on it and she would mark it every now and then. not sure what it was but I'm pretty sure it was a rubric and she was grading me on my responses. The older lady who mostly asked me questions would say "great" after i gave a good answer so im guessing that's good.

Final Tips:
    -Smile
    -Ask relevant questions that show you care.
    -Gauge your response with your interviewers personality
    -CHECK FOR BODY LANGUAGE. I noticed the two girls I interviewed with both crossed their legs towards me after about 8 minutes, pupils dilated, and hands fiddling which showed me I had established a comfort zone...try to achieve this.
    -Reciprocate positive body language.
    -BE YOURSELF..don't try to impress them with things your not. Being honest is a lot easier then trying to make yourself seem better then your cut out for.
    -Don't be nervous...if you are chances are you will mess up and not get the job cause they can tell by your breathing, sentence stutters, and body language. Again, be yourself.

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

I turned in an application in person and the got a call the next week to come in for an interview. It was very professional yet cheerful and relaxed, with one crew member and a Mate. Then I waited a few days and got called back to a second interview with the Manager. It was also laid back and pretty straight forward.

Crew Member Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

I submitted an application to one of the store's "mates"- assistant manager, I believe. He was a young and enthusiastic man who asked me why I want to work at TJ's and asked me what my favorite TJ's product was. I'd read somewhere that in the interview process I'd be asked this question, so I was prepared to answer it, as I am a regular customer and did give some thought to my favorite products the store sells. This interaction may have been a pre-interview/screening process- I can't be sure. The mate gave me a little postcard onto which he wrote his name and a contact number, and told me that if I had any questions to give him a call, and that I would be contacted within 30 days with some sort of response to my application.
    I called just less than 2 weeks later to find out the status of my application and to ask if they were actually hiring. When I called, it was the general number to the store and not a direct line to the asst. manager. I asked for him, and he came to the phone, but his polished, cheerful demeanor was absent- he said he didn't know anything about hiring, whether or not they were coming up on any "hiring schedule" and said that he was not in charge of hiring anyway. He gave me the name of the person in charge of hiring, but then made no effort to put me in touch with him. I was put off by this guy, and in that moment, was not really strongly inclined to pursue a job here anyway. So I hung up and sort of gave up on the place.
    However, on exactly the 30th day after I submitted my application, I got a call from the hiring asst. manager who wanted to set up an interview. The call came on a Sunday, which felt funny to me as it was the weekend, but fundamentally I did not have a problem with it. I interviewed 5 days later with the manager and the asst. manager for hiring.
    The interview was perhaps the least stressful one I've ever had. It was very comfortable and laid back. It lasted around 50 minutes, but felt like it went by quickly. As I answered questions, the manager had commentary to add about different aspects of the store and what working there is like. I appreciated the extra information, as it gave me some idea of what it would be like to work there, and what it would be like to work for this person.

Interview Questions
    • "What's the weirdest thing you've ever done?"   View Answer
    I did not negotiate a wage. I was told what hourly pay would be- $12.50- when I was offered the position. I'd guessed that it would be around that- better than minimum wage, but still less than my previous office job. I was told that raises are given at .50/hour increments every 6 months during the interview. I was also told that there is ample opportunity for advancement into managerial positions or into more specialized, higher paying positions (such as ordering), if I had the desire and drive to make it happen.

Mate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

The interview process was extremely lengthy. When I initially applied I was told someone would contact me within a week. After not hearing anything for 2 weeks I called the store and spoke with the manager. She had been on vacation. After the first interview I was scheduled for a second interview at another location. The manager from that store called me the day before he was going on vacation. I waited an additional week to talk with him, and then another week for the interview, which was sent to yet another location. After that interview I was setup to speak with the district manager, at another location. I heard back 3 days later only to be offered a position I didn't apply for. The whole process took nearly 6 weeks. I feel it was a complete waste of time. It seems very mismanaged and unprofessional. The questions the district manager asked didn't seem relevant to my resume. She seemed more interested in getting information about my current employer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave you're current job?   View Answer

The offer wasn't what I was looking for. I applied for a mate position in which I am technically over qualified for. I have been in management for several years. I was offered a crew position for less money than I currently make.

Team Member Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

The manager I handed my resume to asked me a question right off the bat. It is an unexpected interview, so be ready! It was a great experience though. The manager made me feel comfortable. He asked questions about my favorite Trader Joes product and what my sense of humor was.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was when he has "who was your least favorite boss and why?" It is hard to answer this question in a way that doesn't seem to be negative about the interviewee   Answer Question