Trader Joe's

Average Difficulty
229 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Millburn, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Trader Joe's in March 2013.

Interview Details – It used to be that you had two to three interviews but it seems since they are hiring so many people and cutting so many employees hours that maybe they are only doing one interview.

Interview Question – No real unexpected questions. Just be prepared to talk about your favorite products and your history with shopping at the store. The more you know about the store and the products the better   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Orange, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2014.

Interview Details – I went to the Trader Joe's Website to search for job openings. I was happy to see that they want you to print out an application from their website and bring it into the store in person. A welcome change from all of these long tedious online application processes that rarely produce even a single call back.

I dressed nice and brought my application and my resume to the nearest store and approached the manager station and asked if I could submit an application. The employee was very nice and came out from behind the podium/mgr station and shook my hand. Asked me "So what makes you want to work for Trader Joe's" I told him I was a customer and that everyone here was very friendly and organized and that it seemed like a great place to work. He asked what are some of my favorite Trader Joe's products. I listed two or three items that I had bought there before. He looked at my application and resume and asked me a couple minor things about my past work experience. Then gave me his business card and told me they would review my app. and be in touch.

Six days later I got a call inviting me to come in for an interview the next day.

I arrived about 7 or 8 minutes early for the interview and was asked to wait for a few minutes. Pretty soon I was lead to the back of the store by the same person I met when I dropped off my app. We went thru a hallway that led to the outside behind the store where there were two chairs together and on chair opposite and facing the two. I was interviewed by the store's general manager and the person I applied with originally.

They asked "why Trader Joes?" "What are some of your favorite Trader Joe's products?" we talked about my previous jobs. They asked "what would you do to have fun while working here?" "what kinds of tasks do you expect to be doing while working here?" They said that friday, saturday, and sundays are by far the busiest days and that most staff should expect to work those days. They wanted to let me know that sometimes the hours varied and could go late into the night. I was asked what do I like to do outside of work, like hobbies or activities. Asked "what do you think would be the ideal job for you to do here?". They asked "how would your previous employer describe you as an employee?" They wanted to know if I had any questions for them.

Over all, I felt that the interview went VERY well. They told me that they would discuss the interview and review the application and resume and make a decision and would be in contact. It has been 8 days since my interview and I have not heard anything yet. I don't know if that is a bad sign or if they just take a long time to contact you. I really felt I did well in the interview and was kind of surprised after I didn't hear anything after the first 3 or 4 days. Now going on 8, I'm feeling less and less optimistic. We will see.

Interview Question – I don't feel any of the questions were difficult or unexpected. I listed above all the questions they asked.   Answer Question

Crew Member

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in person and was given a mini interview on the spot which caught me off guard. However the mate was very friendly and made me feel welcome. Even though I had no retail experience he said that it was completely ok. He liked the fact that my working hours were at any time. They called me the next day to schedule an interview next week.

Interview Question – Why Trader Joe's?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chico, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview Details – sit you down for two interviews and it's pretty basic. just be yourself. the first interview was with a full timer/mgmt and it was pretty basic as far as interviews go. nothing surprising. then the same when I was called back in to do the second interview with someone hire up at the store.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – they started me at 9.50 but it made sense cuz within 3 months a raise was coming so id didn't really negotiate. thought it was fair but they will listen for sure and take what you negotiate into consideration

Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2014.

Interview Details – The process took 3 days. I went to the store to hand in my application, and they interviewed me on the spot and a mate scheduled an appointment for 2 days after that. When I got to trader joes on the day of the interview I got there early and greeted the mates that were there. I told them that I had an an interview, and they told me that I had to walk around the store until they were ready for me. In a couple of minutes I was swept off into the back room where there was a big sink an cardboard boxes. Very professional, haha, anyway it's a trader joes not a CEO position. I found the circumstances funny, the interviewer asked me basic questions ( he seemed more nervous than I was.) the questions where to list you past experiences, what would you do in a difficult customer situation, what do you like to do outside of working? When have you worked as a team player? Smile a lot and make yourself at home and you'll be fine. Now I have to meet with a captain, and I got excellent feedback from the mate that interviwed me. Don't forget to ask questions at the end!

Interview Question – What do you do to have fun at work?   View Answer

Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in March 2012.

Interview Details – Initial interview, call back, offer

Interview Question – what TJ;s product to you like the most?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no

Very Easy Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Trader Joe's in March 2012.

Interview Details – Got hired through a job fair. That is the best chance you have to get work at TJ's because they don't have alot of turnover. Ok my interview process was great!! I was very familiar with their products and had an upbeat attitude with helped the most. I was interview by the mates (mgr.) I would be working with and it was about 3 mates and my last interview was with the captain himself. Best interview I've had to date.

Interview Question – How do you get the giraffe in the refrigerator. I'm lying that was the one that I didn't see coming but I was laughing with the mate the whole when he asked that one!   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2013.

Interview Details – typ. a two step interview process (IMPORTANT NOTE!!! - mate who receives your application in person WILL make an initial note as on his/her first impression! present yourself well - make the effort to dress neatly ("Yes" - even for a store clerks position) - this person will initial your application and indicate whether to proceed to first interview. Try to arrange introduce yourself in person to the store manager ("Captain")

Interview Question – NONE - be relaxed be yourself ...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NONE

Part-time Crew Member Interview

Part-time Crew Member
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied at Trader Joe's in April, 2014, got an instant mini interview with a Mate right there. Two weeks later I got a call and was set up for another interview, which I think went very well. Interview was very informal, I showed up dressed for a corporate interview and felt over dressed, nonetheless I think it went well. The Mate was nice and pleasant. I am waiting to hear back from them, really really hope I get the job, working for Trader Joe's would be a good fit for me since I am in school.

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult it was more of a discussion aimed at getting to know you type of flow   Answer Question

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

Mate (Assistant Manager)
Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2013.

Interview Details – Very thorough and go in depth with your experience related to the job. Very customer service oriented. How do you work with teams.

Interview Question – How do you have fun at work?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very easy they offered and I countered and was somewhere in the middle.