Trader Joe's

2.2

Mate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

The interview process was extremely lengthy. When I initially applied I was told someone would contact me within a week. After not hearing anything for 2 weeks I called the store and spoke with the manager. She had been on vacation. After the first interview I was scheduled for a second interview at another location. The manager from that store called me the day before he was going on vacation. I waited an additional week to talk with him, and then another week for the interview, which was sent to yet another location. After that interview I was setup to speak with the district manager, at another location. I heard back 3 days later only to be offered a position I didn't apply for. The whole process took nearly 6 weeks. I feel it was a complete waste of time. It seems very mismanaged and unprofessional. The questions the district manager asked didn't seem relevant to my resume. She seemed more interested in getting information about my current employer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave you're current job?   View Answer

The offer wasn't what I was looking for. I applied for a mate position in which I am technically over qualified for. I have been in management for several years. I was offered a crew position for less money than I currently make.

Team Member Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

The manager I handed my resume to asked me a question right off the bat. It is an unexpected interview, so be ready! It was a great experience though. The manager made me feel comfortable. He asked questions about my favorite Trader Joes product and what my sense of humor was.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was when he has "who was your least favorite boss and why?" It is hard to answer this question in a way that doesn't seem to be negative about the interviewee   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Really relaxed. More you joke around the better. Asked what favorite food from TJs is and joked around. Talked about what makes a good coworker atmosphere. Overall it was very informal and fun...I think I had more questions than the manager. I just kept being bubbly and cheery and had a great feeling about it...ended up getting the job

Interview Questions
    everyone started at same pay rate

Crew Member Interview

I was called in for an interview after being persistent about it. first round was with a novitiate manager. The second round was with 2 higher ups, 1 being the second in command of the store. Super friendly, non-chalant interview. Laid back work environment--as to be expected from a place where managers wear Hawaiian shirts.

Part Time Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Attended job fair, had a 5 minute screening and left, got a call that day to come back in two days, did an interview with two Mates and then the Captain.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite Trader Joe's product and how would you sell it to a customer.   Answer Question

F/T Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Three interviews each with two Mates (Assistant Managers). They basically want to see how customer focused you are and what skills you possess in dealing with people and get a feel from you as to how you will interact with the rest of the crew.

Interview Questions
    • Name a recent difficult interaction you had with a customer.   Answer Question
    Not a whole lot of room for negotiation.

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's in July 2014.

Went in with my resume and the trader joes application on hand. I spoke to the person in charge who said they weren't hiring right now. I offered up my application he did take it and reviewed it. He asked me about why I wanted to work there. After we talked a few minutes he told me to come in for an interview the next day! I went back, had the second interview and got the job!

They looked at my last salary and offered me slightly more..I accepted

Part Time Crew Member Interview

I applied at the store, and did a quick q and a with the employee who took my application. Yesterday I got a letter in the mail (weeks later) with a note saying they have decided not to call me in for an interview. It was a very random, and not terribly professional letter. I have no idea why they would send it: kind of like a kick in the teeth as I had already assumed they weren't hiring, and got a job at another store. Now I am left to wonder what went so wrong with my application that I wasnt called in?

Any way I am happy not to be working there as I am now at a store that has a much nicer customer base. Trader Joe's in Portland, Maine gets a lot of demanding fuss budgets.

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

The interview process was the best I have ever gone through with any company. I got one interview after another very quickly and felt as though it was more like a chat with a friend then an interview!

Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's in July 2014.

I went in a got an application, filled it out at home and submitted in person a few days later. Upon submission, the Mate who took my application asked me a bunch of questions, which felt like a mini-interview. After that he wanted to get me in for an interview. I had that interview, it went well, and he wanted to get me in to interview with another Mate. The second interview went well as well, and she wanted me to meet the Captain. So I went to a third interview (not including the mini-interview) with the Captain who seemed like he felt a little bad that I had already had 2 interviews. That went well, we briefly discussed what I would expect to make as a Crew member if offered the job. He said he would talk to the other 2 mates and that I would know within a week. I got a call two days later and was offered the job.

No negotiation.