Trader Joe's Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.2

Crew Member Interview

Interview

I applied in person. They asked me right away"Why Trader Joe's?" I waited a few days, but no one call me. So I went to the store and asked what is the status of my application. I learned that the Captain has a lot of applications to review, and it may take him from two weeks to a month. So I'm waiting - has only been a week. I write this review only because I'm running out of access to Glassdoor term. As suggested by other reviewers , I will show up at the store regularly to be remembered, and that the staff saw that I care for this work.

Interview Questions

• For now, I was asked only one question: Why Trader Joe's? I have not had an interview yet.   Answer Question

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2015.

Interview

I brought in my application on a Sunday and was asked to bring it back during the week because the store was so busy. When I did go back someone from the captain's desk asked me a few questions. A few days later I got a phone call asking me to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by two people at once and they were nice and made me feel comfortable. The next day they called to offer me the position starting at $11/hour.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer was upset about something?   Answer Question
    • What made you want to work at Trader Joe's?   Answer Question
    • What did you like about your previous job? What did you dislike?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They told me what the starting wage would be when they offered me the position and I accepted it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Rockville, MD) in January 2015.

Interview

The process took me approximately 3~5 days. I filled out an application on a Friday, and was asked to come in for an interview that upcoming Monday. A position was offered to me at the end of the interview, which I called to accept two days later.

The application itself was very basic, about two pages long and primarily giving information about myself and prior work experience. The interview reflected the warm and casual attitude I had come to expect during my years of shopping there; the other crew members I ran into introduced themselves to me, and the interview itself took place in the storeroom. The captain was very sweet, and it felt more like a friendly chat than an official interview. The time not spent going over my goals and future plans was focused on details of the job, such as the expectation of workers to be in on weekends, the varied workload, etc. I was offered a position on the spot, then called to accept not long after.

This was my first time interviewing for a job, and it was a very pleasant one. This particular Trader Joe's adheres to the same friendliness behind the scenes that the company boasts to their customers. However, there is an expectation that you are familiar with the store and its products when you walk through that door. I was asked a couple of times why I wanted to work there, and which products are my favourite. If you have passion for other people and are a fan of the store, you will do just fine. Just relax and be yourself!

Interview Questions

• What are your favourite products?   1 Answer
    • What are your goals, and how would this position help you achieve them?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work at Trader Joe's?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The salary I offered was far higher than what I had gone in hoping for, and being a part-time position, there were no benefits. Be aware that this is retail, meaning the hours can be unpredictable and you will be expected to work the weekends.

Florist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Very detailed. The interviewer was very friendly and asked questions that could tell if I really had experience. She had me show her my portfolio and put together a couple of arrangements. I have done a lot of weddings and have had a lot of experience. I think I have had a lot more experience than the interviewer herself. She made a couple comments that were not exactly true about processing flowers.

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals. I found this weird as a florist at Trader Joe's. Not sure how far you can go in a grocery store floral department.   Answer Question

Negotiation

good.

Mate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

As an outside, or off the street hire, you typically can expect the following:
    1.) Initial phone screening from office in Monrovia
    2.) Meet with a store GM, or Captain
    3.) If they recommend, meet with another store GM/Captain
    4.) Meet with the regional to sign off

Interview Questions

• Trader Joe's interviews are typically standard and laid-back. They may ask you to walk the store and then give them your input.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was very new to negotiating aka I DIDN'T negotiate at all. They will definitely ask what you made at your last job. If you have any management experience, I suggest you inflate your salary some and then negotiate once you get an initial offer

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Des Moines, IA) in January 2015.

Interview

I turned in my application in person as there is no online app. A mate (ASM) talked to me for a few minutes on the spot; it was extremely casual and I thought it went really well. He seemed to be checking to make sure I could hold a conversation. He promised to call by the end of the week.

When I didn't hear anything, I called back that next Tuesday. A different manager set me up for a second interview with the same first mate I had spoken with. I was happy because he seemed really laid back and I thought for sure I had the job.

The second interview was lengthier, but equally as easy. He asked what I did for fun, what I was studying in school, what my favorite season is, etc. Random questions that had nothing to do with the job. After the "interview" he once again promised to call by Friday (4 days later).

Didn't hear back again so I called to see what the deal was, and a random manager said "oh, well we've decided to end the interview process with you here" and basically thanked me for my interest.

Very unprofessional to never get back to your applicants, I'm sure I didn't get the job because I had to stalk the store to even get any response on their end.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite season? What do you do for fun? What products do you like from trader joes?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

I went online and dowloaded the application. I walked into the store and handed my application to a Mate and he sat me down right away and asked me some questions. Afterward he said that I needed to come back and meet some other mates and eventually the captain.

Interview Questions

• What decision that you've made thus far this year that you are most proud of? And if you could live anywhere in the world and money is no object, where would it be and why?   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Katy, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

I filled out my application and handed it in during the same visit. I was given an in the spot group interview. It was before the grand opening. Everyone was super chill. I was excited because I knew it would be a great company to work for. Everyone was really awesome. I was nervous. But the interview was low pressure and low key.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Atlanta, GA) in January 2015.

Interview

I went through two rounds of interviewing. One with two of the assistant managers and then another with the store manager. The first session lasted longer than I was expecting, about 45 minutes. Although I felt confident in my responses, it did seem a little more challenging than I anticipated. The second interview with the store manager was much more casual. This meeting was very conversational and seemed to be more about understanding who I am and I if I might fit in the store's culture.

Interview Questions

• How can they guarantee that the time and resources they invest in me will be returned?   Answer Question

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Kansas City, MO) in January 2015.

Interview

I checked back about my application about a week after I turned it in in person, got a call about two weeks after submitting an application. The interview felt very informal, kind of hard to take seriously in folding chairs in a dark corner in the stockroom behind walls of beer. I was told there were more candidates to review and I would hear back in a week, I didn't hear anything for a few weeks after that till I got a call to tell me I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• How would your managers at your current job describe you?   Answer Question