Trader Joe's Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.2

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Trader Joe's (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Trader Joe's has hourly staff around their corporate office come in part time to act as recruiters. There's only a handful of people that do it and they do not hire during their busy season of end of August through January so it can take a really, really long time if you apply during that time frame. I applied in August and did not get a call back until February. I did a phone interview and then went into a store and had a sit down interview with the First mate (general manager). I did not make it past that point but the next step would have been interviewing with an area director. They also do not hire GMs off the street - they only promote GMs from within and the quickest time frame would be a 12 month fast tracked position. They have so many applicants that unless you have at least 5+ plus direct grocery store management experience they wont even really consider you.

Interview Questions

• Describe your favorite TJ products- tell me some recipes you like to cook with our products. What would you team say you need to work on.   Answer Question

Mate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Charlotte, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

I picked up a paper application and returned the next day with it. Upon dropping it off the store manager asked me some basic questions and looked at my resume and asked some questions about that. He also asked if I read the Crew Mate job requirements, and when I said yes asked what a "WOW" customer experience was to me. This all took place by the busy registers and both of us standing up, so I had to be loud and confident.

Interview Questions

• What is a "WOW" customer experience to you?   1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Interview

I applied in person. They asked me right away"Why Trader Joe's?" I waited a few days, but no one call me. So I went to the store and asked what is the status of my application. I learned that the Captain has a lot of applications to review, and it may take him from two weeks to a month. So I'm waiting - has only been a week. I write this review only because I'm running out of access to Glassdoor term. As suggested by other reviewers , I will show up at the store regularly to be remembered, and that the staff saw that I care for this work.

Interview Questions

• For now, I was asked only one question: Why Trader Joe's? I have not had an interview yet.   Answer Question

Florist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Very detailed. The interviewer was very friendly and asked questions that could tell if I really had experience. She had me show her my portfolio and put together a couple of arrangements. I have done a lot of weddings and have had a lot of experience. I think I have had a lot more experience than the interviewer herself. She made a couple comments that were not exactly true about processing flowers.

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals. I found this weird as a florist at Trader Joe's. Not sure how far you can go in a grocery store floral department.   Answer Question

Negotiation

good.

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2015.

Interview

I brought in my application on a Sunday and was asked to bring it back during the week because the store was so busy. When I did go back someone from the captain's desk asked me a few questions. A few days later I got a phone call asking me to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by two people at once and they were nice and made me feel comfortable. The next day they called to offer me the position starting at $11/hour.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer was upset about something?   Answer Question
    • What made you want to work at Trader Joe's?   Answer Question
    • What did you like about your previous job? What did you dislike?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They told me what the starting wage would be when they offered me the position and I accepted it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Rockville, MD) in January 2015.

Interview

The process took me approximately 3~5 days. I filled out an application on a Friday, and was asked to come in for an interview that upcoming Monday. A position was offered to me at the end of the interview, which I called to accept two days later. The application itself was very basic, about two pages long and primarily giving information about myself and prior work experience. The interview reflected the warm and casual attitude I had come to expect during my years of shopping there; the other crew members I ran into introduced themselves to me, and the interview itself took place in the storeroom. The captain was very sweet, and it felt more like a friendly chat than an official interview. The time not spent going over my goals and future plans was focused on details of the job, such as the expectation of workers to be in on weekends, the varied workload, etc. I was offered a position on the spot, then called to accept not long after. This was my first time interviewing for a job, and it was a very pleasant one. This particular Trader Joe's adheres to the same friendliness behind the scenes that the company boasts to their customers. However, there is an expectation that you are familiar with the store and its products when you walk through that door. I was asked a couple of times why I wanted to work there, and which products are my favourite. If you have passion for other people and are a fan of the store, you will do just fine. Just relax and be yourself!

Interview Questions

• What are your favourite products?   1 Answer
    • What are your goals, and how would this position help you achieve them?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work at Trader Joe's?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The salary I offered was far higher than what I had gone in hoping for, and being a part-time position, there were no benefits. Be aware that this is retail, meaning the hours can be unpredictable and you will be expected to work the weekends.

Mate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

As an outside, or off the street hire, you typically can expect the following: 1.) Initial phone screening from office in Monrovia 2.) Meet with a store GM, or Captain 3.) If they recommend, meet with another store GM/Captain 4.) Meet with the regional to sign off

Interview Questions

• Trader Joe's interviews are typically standard and laid-back. They may ask you to walk the store and then give them your input.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was very new to negotiating aka I DIDN'T negotiate at all. They will definitely ask what you made at your last job. If you have any management experience, I suggest you inflate your salary some and then negotiate once you get an initial offer

Application

Interview

I went online and dowloaded the application. I walked into the store and handed my application to a Mate and he sat me down right away and asked me some questions. Afterward he said that I needed to come back and meet some other mates and eventually the captain.

Interview Questions

• What decision that you've made thus far this year that you are most proud of? And if you could live anywhere in the world and money is no object, where would it be and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Des Moines, IA) in January 2015.

Interview

I turned in my application in person as there is no online app. A mate (ASM) talked to me for a few minutes on the spot; it was extremely casual and I thought it went really well. He seemed to be checking to make sure I could hold a conversation. He promised to call by the end of the week. When I didn't hear anything, I called back that next Tuesday. A different manager set me up for a second interview with the same first mate I had spoken with. I was happy because he seemed really laid back and I thought for sure I had the job. The second interview was lengthier, but equally as easy. He asked what I did for fun, what I was studying in school, what my favorite season is, etc. Random questions that had nothing to do with the job. After the "interview" he once again promised to call by Friday (4 days later). Didn't hear back again so I called to see what the deal was, and a random manager said "oh, well we've decided to end the interview process with you here" and basically thanked me for my interest. Very unprofessional to never get back to your applicants, I'm sure I didn't get the job because I had to stalk the store to even get any response on their end.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite season? What do you do for fun? What products do you like from trader joes?   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Katy, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

I filled out my application and handed it in during the same visit. I was given an in the spot group interview. It was before the grand opening. Everyone was super chill. I was excited because I knew it would be a great company to work for. Everyone was really awesome. I was nervous. But the interview was low pressure and low key.