Trader Joe's

Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Pasadena, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Trader Joe's in February 2013.

Interview Details – I walked into the Trader Joe's store to submit a resume in person. Upon handing it to the manager he asked if I was available to interview on the spot. I agreed and we stepped to the side and had a casual interview that lasted about 15 minutes. I was asked questions such as: whether I had experience as a cashier, what I think the daily tasks over a Trader Joe's employee are, and what my favorite Trader Joe's products are.

Interview Question – The unexpected question for me was what my favorite Trader Joe's brand products are, I had to stop and think about specifically which products I buy the most and why I like them. Make sure you are familiar with their products and store layout before you begin the interview.   View Answer

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Part Time Crew Member
Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in March 2014.

Interview Details – very easy and laid back interview. i interviewed with two people both times. they were very easy going. not too many questions. ask you do you want to work there. make sure your availibility is very open. they like someonne who is wiling to work whenever they need somebody. make sure you are very polite and well mannared

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in May 2010.

Interview Details – submit resume, and wait for call back. Submit resume in person, and see if you can leave it with a manager so they can meet you and associate you with the application. Check with employees or managers to see when there are opeiningsl

Interview Question – it was very relaxed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was only a little room for negotioation

La Canada Flintridge, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in person at a location I new didn't have an opening but I really like the location and wanted to drop off my resume and application downloaded from their website (they are always accepting applications), they took my application and asked the following questions;

1. Are you a regular customer of Trader Joe's, if so what are 3 favorite items and why are they your favorite?
2. What your experience, how much do you know about the job?
3. Have you ever used a mini pallet mover (I forget the name right now), how about the big pallet mover?

They said a lot of people want to work for Trader Joe's because it is a happy place but what's not always taken into account is all the physical work involved with stocking the store.

They asked to follow up with them every few weeks by phone to check if they have an opening and thats the end of our talk.

Section Leader/Clerk Interview

Section Leader/Clerk
La Crescenta, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview Details – I first interviewed with a man and a women. They asked me about my experience and what kind of a worker I was. I was invited back for a second interview and a young man interviewed me. He basically asked the same kind of questions. It was very easy

Interview Question – What kind of a store do you think Trader Joe's is?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered my $9.00 an hour but I received three $1.00 raises my first year with the company.

Mate (Assistant Manager) Interview

Mate (Assistant Manager)
Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview Details – 2 captain interviews and an interview with the regional VP. they asked a variety of challenging question but were pleasant and fair at all times. They also made me feel really relaxed which helps the process and helps them get the best answers from an interviewee.

Interview Question – Tell me when you have had to deliver bad news to a team, how did you do this?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Straight forward. They recognized my value. They offered me a fair compensation package which I accepted.

Orange, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2014.

Interview Details – I went to the Trader Joe's Website to search for job openings. I was happy to see that they want you to print out an application from their website and bring it into the store in person. A welcome change from all of these long tedious online application processes that rarely produce even a single call back.

I dressed nice and brought my application and my resume to the nearest store and approached the manager station and asked if I could submit an application. The employee was very nice and came out from behind the podium/mgr station and shook my hand. Asked me "So what makes you want to work for Trader Joe's" I told him I was a customer and that everyone here was very friendly and organized and that it seemed like a great place to work. He asked what are some of my favorite Trader Joe's products. I listed two or three items that I had bought there before. He looked at my application and resume and asked me a couple minor things about my past work experience. Then gave me his business card and told me they would review my app. and be in touch.

Six days later I got a call inviting me to come in for an interview the next day.

I arrived about 7 or 8 minutes early for the interview and was asked to wait for a few minutes. Pretty soon I was lead to the back of the store by the same person I met when I dropped off my app. We went thru a hallway that led to the outside behind the store where there were two chairs together and on chair opposite and facing the two. I was interviewed by the store's general manager and the person I applied with originally.

They asked "why Trader Joes?" "What are some of your favorite Trader Joe's products?" we talked about my previous jobs. They asked "what would you do to have fun while working here?" "what kinds of tasks do you expect to be doing while working here?" They said that friday, saturday, and sundays are by far the busiest days and that most staff should expect to work those days. They wanted to let me know that sometimes the hours varied and could go late into the night. I was asked what do I like to do outside of work, like hobbies or activities. Asked "what do you think would be the ideal job for you to do here?". They asked "how would your previous employer describe you as an employee?" They wanted to know if I had any questions for them.

Over all, I felt that the interview went VERY well. They told me that they would discuss the interview and review the application and resume and make a decision and would be in contact. It has been 8 days since my interview and I have not heard anything yet. I don't know if that is a bad sign or if they just take a long time to contact you. I really felt I did well in the interview and was kind of surprised after I didn't hear anything after the first 3 or 4 days. Now going on 8, I'm feeling less and less optimistic. We will see.

Interview Question – I don't feel any of the questions were difficult or unexpected. I listed above all the questions they asked.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Trader Joe's in March 2012.

Interview Details – Got hired through a job fair. That is the best chance you have to get work at TJ's because they don't have alot of turnover. Ok my interview process was great!! I was very familiar with their products and had an upbeat attitude with helped the most. I was interview by the mates (mgr.) I would be working with and it was about 3 mates and my last interview was with the captain himself. Best interview I've had to date.

Interview Question – How do you get the giraffe in the refrigerator. I'm lying that was the one that I didn't see coming but I was laughing with the mate the whole when he asked that one!   Answer Question

Part-time Crew Member Interview

Part-time Crew Member
Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in October 2012.

Interview Details – Turned in application and got a brief interview from a mate. He approved of me and set up a meeting the next day. I met with another mate that morning and we talked sitting on a bench outside of target, which was fairly awkward, as homeless guys also like to sit there and shout. I thought they could have put more effort into finding a more suitable location for the interview. But despite that it went well and he requested I meet with the captain later on that same day, which I was willing to do. A few hours later, I spoke with the store captain at a table outside a sandwich place, which was slightly better than the Target bench, but still awkward. Things went well, and it seemed more of a final vetting than an exploratory interview, like he kept saying things like, "You're going to be doing such and such. Are you ok with that?" implying that I already had the job. I got called just two days later and offered the job. It was a very fast, largely pleasant experience, excepting the poor locations.

Interview Question – The captain quizzed me a bit on the history of Trader Joe's. Luckily, I had read the info on their website and answered them all correctly, which I think seriously impressed him, so definitely do your homework before going in.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – We negotiated before the offer. I really needed the gig so I didn't negotiate too much. Plus I know these hourly wages are pretty set in stone.

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Part Time Crew Member
Hollywood, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2011.

Interview Details – I handed in my application to the Captain, he called me a week later offering me a job.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any questions. I was offered the job right off.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Trader Joe's

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!