Trader Joe's

Updated Nov 7, 2014

1.9

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's in October 2014.

I applied in person at one location.They will ask you 3 questions tops on the spot usually just why you want to work for trader joes, and what your favorite products are. The first time I went to the hiring manager and thought I made a great impression she told me she would definitely call me to set up an interview and never did. I didn't get discouraged since they always seem busy and I never called to check on my application. I applied again however this time I put extra effort into the application and even wrote a cover letter addressed to the hiring managers. I brought it to a different mate this time and called a week later to check on my application. A week and a half later received a phone call for an interview.

The first interview went great I definitely nailed it thanks to glassdoor I was fully prepared for every question asked and had no surprises. Just make sure you can talk about previous situations at jobs you have had as well as your strengths and weaknesses. Smile a lot and dress nicely. I was told by the Mate that she wanted me to "Meet" the captain next and was called about 1 week later for the second interview.

The second interview I thought went well there were some tougher questions but I never stalled and I thought I made a great impression. Apparently not, however because I was called the next day by a completely different mate telling me they had decided to go with someone else. I understand they don't give feedback but I felt a little disrespected that neither one of the people who interviewed me called me to give me the news, they passed the dirty work onto a different person. I was extremely disappointed because I felt like the perfect fit for the store and had done so much research and preparation for the job but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Looking back I guess I didn't make an impression enough on the captain for him to hire me, because the mate who interviewed me loved me and i'm sure I wouldn't of made it to the second interview if she didn't feel I was a good fit.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's in June 2014.

I handed in my application had an initial interview there where they asked a few questions then I was called three days later for an interview. Had my interview on Wednesday and I'm still waiting for a call back for a 2nd interview I hope I get it if not then the experience was great umm they asked me why I wanted to work for trader joes, describe your self , describe a difficult customer and how you handled it, always smile, why do you wanna work at joes?

Anonymous Employee in Larchmont, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Larchmont, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

There was one 1-on-1 interview. It was good. I wasn't hired because I lived far away.
    Initially, I applied online on the trader joes website and then got a reply a month later. After speaking with someone on the phone, they set up an interview which was a 1 on 1.
    The process was quick and the interviewer was great.
    Environment seemed fun and employees all looked happy.

Interview Questions
    • I should have expected this question or something similar but, "What can you bring to the table?"   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2014.

The process took 3 days. I went to the store to hand in my application, and they interviewed me on the spot and a mate scheduled an appointment for 2 days after that. When I got to trader joes on the day of the interview I got there early and greeted the mates that were there. I told them that I had an an interview, and they told me that I had to walk around the store until they were ready for me. In a couple of minutes I was swept off into the back room where there was a big sink an cardboard boxes. Very professional, haha, anyway it's a trader joes not a CEO position. I found the circumstances funny, the interviewer asked me basic questions ( he seemed more nervous than I was.) the questions where to list you past experiences, what would you do in a difficult customer situation, what do you like to do outside of working? When have you worked as a team player? Smile a lot and make yourself at home and you'll be fine. Now I have to meet with a captain, and I got excellent feedback from the mate that interviwed me. Don't forget to ask questions at the end!

Part-time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2014.

Applied at Trader Joe's in April, 2014, got an instant mini interview with a Mate right there. Two weeks later I got a call and was set up for another interview, which I think went very well. Interview was very informal, I showed up dressed for a corporate interview and felt over dressed, nonetheless I think it went well. The Mate was nice and pleasant. I am waiting to hear back from them, really really hope I get the job, working for Trader Joe's would be a good fit for me since I am in school.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult it was more of a discussion aimed at getting to know you type of flow   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edgewater, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edgewater, NJ

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Take a math test answer vague questions

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's in February 2014.

Very comfortable and positive. The training was extensive and great. All of the managers were welcoming and happy. I had interviews with 2 different managers and they both were fair and good.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelsea, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelsea, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's in December 2013.

They will give you an on the spot interview when you apply in person, then they will ask when you're free next to come in for the 2nd interview (if they like you they will say this) and after that will call you and tell you, you're hired! My interview process was straight forward. They wanted to see how well I would work with other employees, about my "Integrity" and how my former experiences could serve of any importance in the position I was applying for. They cared more about "personality" above all it seems.

Interview Questions
    • At Trader Joe's they have a "Kaizen" approach to things. This is a Japanese word meaning continuous improvements on ones self. Tell me about a situation where you had to have a "Kaizen" approach?   Answer Question
    They actually gave me a dollar higher than what I asked for. It's pretty much negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Florham Park, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Florham Park, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's in October 2013.

I went online and filled out TJ's application and brought it into the store along with my personal resume and cover letter. Once there a mate (manager) asked me a few questions like why I wanted to work at TJ's and how flexible my availability is. This took less than 5 minutes. They said they would review my resume and call me back for a second interview.
    A few days later I received a call asking me to come in and interview with the store's captain.
    This interview lasted about 15 minutes. At the conclusion of this interview, I was told they would call me in back within a week letting me know either way. About a week later I was called back and offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what my past experiences were, why I wanted to work at TJ's, and if I could handle job that has a high physical demand every day.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's in October 2013.

1 Receive paper application.
    2 Submit application with immediate three-minute screening interview.
    3 Receive brief call asking to come interview.
    4 In-person interview with assistant manager.
    5 Follow-up Interview with different assistant manager.
    6 Final interview with store general manager.

Interview Questions
    • In past jobs what have you done to keep the job fun for yourself and others?   Answer Question
    Salary negotiations futile.