Trader Joe's Part Time Crew Member Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.0

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Baton Rouge, LA).

Interview

My interview was honestly amazing, the two managers who interviewed me were very laid back and incredibly kind. The ask you basically about your work history and explain different goals they have and how they all work, as well as asking what you would do in certain situations that involved a distraught customer.

Interview Questions

• Why Traders Joe?
    What's your favorite Trader's Joe food?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Part-time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I was interviewed by 2 mates and the captain on three different occasions. Jobs are sometimes posted on LinkedIn and through word of mouth from the current employees. (Many of my coworkers were hired that way.) The company website is not very accurate with current openings. I heard about an opening from an acquaintance and came in for an interview. I got lucky because the hiring manager was there when I came in (Good times are 1:00-2:00PM Tues. Wed. Usually slow so you can chat up the managers) and he interviewed me right on the spot asking me basic questions about my availability and such.

Interview Questions

• What hours would be ideal for you to work?   1 Answer
    • What's your favorite Trader Joe's product/recipe?   1 Answer
    • Do you prefer to full time or part time?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • What's your favorite dog breed?   1 Answer

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

Interview was in rather busy break room due to cold weather; very casual. The questions were geared towards getting a feel for my personality and whether I would fit in working at Trader Joe's. I was more dressed up for the interview than your typical worker there, but felt that was appropriate for having an interview. It was clear towards the end of the interview she thought I was a good fit; I think an offer will come down whether or not the hours I am available are the hours they need workers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

Three "interviews" spread across three weeks: first an informal chat with the mate who accepted my application in store; the second a week later with another assistant manager; the third the following week with the store's captain.

I expected to meet with more than one person during the second and final interviews, but they were always 1:1.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trader Joe's (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Handed in my application at the store I desired to work at, got asked if I were given a gift card to Trader Joe's, what items I would buy. He explained to me how the application process goes and to expect a response in 3-4 weeks. Got a response in about 1 week.

Interview Questions

• If we gave you a gift card right now, what are some items you would buy?   Answer Question

Part-time Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

You MUST apply in person and try not to apply on the weekend as that's when the store is busiest and the mates won't have as much time to chat with you. When you turn your application in, a mate (assistant manager) will ask you a few questions (why you're interested in working here?) and will briefly look at your application, mostly at your work availability. After that, they may call you for a first interview with a mate and if you pass that, you'll get a second interview with the captain (manager).

Interview Questions

• What is the best decision you have made? What is the worst decision you have made? If a fellow crew member told you that you needed to work faster, how would you respond?   Answer Question

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

This was a mutli-phase interview process (more than I expected) for a part-time position. I first handed in an application and had an on the spot interview with one of the mates. It was more a simple chat about why I decided to apply, what I was looking for, why Trader Joe's, etc. All said and done in about 10 minutes, I was given a card with a number to call if I had any questions.

I didn't hear anything back for months and I called twice both times given the, "application is still on file" answer. One day, out of the blue, I was called back that they wanted me to come in for another interview (I thought I wasn't in the running anymore).

The second interview was more in-depth, offering the chance for me to ask questions and get a much more clear picture of the whole business. The whole conversation felt like a casual chat rather than a professional interview, which was a nice change of pace. Discussed some of the store philosophies, work, personal goals, etc.

Overall, the interviewing was fairly relaxed and insightful. It really sold me on the job. The whole process took way too long, though.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite product?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None. Offer was made in a hasty, "here is what it is, when can you start?" manner.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodstock, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's (Woodstock, GA).

Interview

I had my first interview on the spot by a nice gentleman that was one of the managers. After a week went by, I received a phone call for my second interview. I had it today with the main managers of the store and they were wonderful! So kind and were really interested in finding out who I was as a person. They asked great questions & took their time. They assured me that I would hear back in a week!

Interview Questions

• What was a challenge you faced in your previous job & how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What would be your least favorite & most favorite thing to do at this job?   Answer Question
    • What is your availability?   Answer Question

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Interview

After submitting an application, I was called back and interviewed by three separate managers on three separate occasions. They made me feel at home and looked not only at my capabilities but my attitude. The environment is very laid back but there was a very solid ethic of getting things done.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle instruction from women.   1 Answer

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview

This was the most simple and actually ridiculous interview process I'd ever had. I filled out an application in the store on a Friday and immediately interviewed with a full-timer (assistant manager). Basic getting to know you stuff and was told to expect a call. Two days later, on a Sunday morning they called and asked me to come in, which I did. I met with the "Captain" of the store (G.M.) and he spent 15 minutes selling me on Trader Joe's and because of my background, trying to convince me that the position wasn't a "step down" . (It was a HUGE step down but it didn't matter) I worked there for over 5 years and aside from the fact that it wasn't exactly challenging I loved it

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They offered 10.00 and increased to 12.50