Trader Joe's

Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.0

49 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Part-time Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

You MUST apply in person and try not to apply on the weekend as that's when the store is busiest and the mates won't have as much time to chat with you. When you turn your application in, a mate (assistant manager) will ask you a few questions (why you're interested in working here?) and will briefly look at your application, mostly at your work availability. After that, they may call you for a first interview with a mate and if you pass that, you'll get a second interview with the captain (manager).

Interview Questions
  • What is the best decision you have made? What is the worst decision you have made? If a fellow crew member told you that you needed to work faster, how would you respond?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Trader Joe's

Part Time Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

This was a mutli-phase interview process (more than I expected) for a part-time position. I first handed in an application and had an on the spot interview with one of the mates. It was more a simple chat about why I decided to apply, what I was looking for, why Trader Joe's, etc. All said and done in about 10 minutes, I was given a card with a number to call if I had any questions.

I didn't hear anything back for months and I called twice both times given the, "application is still on file" answer. One day, out of the blue, I was called back that they wanted me to come in for another interview (I thought I wasn't in the running anymore).

The second interview was more in-depth, offering the chance for me to ask questions and get a much more clear picture of the whole business. The whole conversation felt like a casual chat rather than a professional interview, which was a nice change of pace. Discussed some of the store philosophies, work, personal goals, etc.

Overall, the interviewing was fairly relaxed and insightful. It really sold me on the job. The whole process took way too long, though.

Interview Questions
    None. Offer was made in a hasty, "here is what it is, when can you start?" manner.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodstock, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodstock, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I had my first interview on the spot by a nice gentleman that was one of the managers. After a week went by, I received a phone call for my second interview. I had it today with the main managers of the store and they were wonderful! So kind and were really interested in finding out who I was as a person. They asked great questions & took their time. They assured me that I would hear back in a week!

Interview Questions
    • What was a challenge you faced in your previous job & how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What would be your least favorite & most favorite thing to do at this job?   Answer Question
    • What is your availability?   Answer Question

Part Time Crew Member Interview

After submitting an application, I was called back and interviewed by three separate managers on three separate occasions. They made me feel at home and looked not only at my capabilities but my attitude. The environment is very laid back but there was a very solid ethic of getting things done.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle instruction from women.   View Answer

Part Time Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

This was the most simple and actually ridiculous interview process I'd ever had. I filled out an application in the store on a Friday and immediately interviewed with a full-timer (assistant manager). Basic getting to know you stuff and was told to expect a call. Two days later, on a Sunday morning they called and asked me to come in, which I did. I met with the "Captain" of the store (G.M.) and he spent 15 minutes selling me on Trader Joe's and because of my background, trying to convince me that the position wasn't a "step down" . (It was a HUGE step down but it didn't matter) I worked there for over 5 years and aside from the fact that it wasn't exactly challenging I loved it

They offered 10.00 and increased to 12.50

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Trader Joe's.

I went in to turn in my application and had a mini impromptu interview on the spot. I was asked what my favorite Trader Joe's product was and why I want to work there. I was immediately asked to come in for an interview the next day. The interview was very relaxed and they asked relatively easy questions. All the questions are basically on this Glassdoor website. At the end of the interview I was told they would get back to me within the next week but they called me the next day! They asked me to come in for a follow up interview tomorrow with the store manager or "Captain" and another Mate. The interview was very relaxed again and they basically asked me the same questions but with an emphasis on my previous work experience. The interview went well and they told me they would let me know if I got the job that same day. The whole hiring process took only 4 days and it was very easygoing. They made it clear that they hire mostly based on personality so just be yourself!

Interview Questions
    • What is something you've done that you recently regret?
      What is something that frustrates you?

Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because they offered me $10/hour to start (min wage in Florida is >$8) even though I had no experience in retail.

Part Time Crew Member Interview

I got an interview on the spot and the "Mate" really liked me. She asked me what my favorite Trader Joe's products were and we both agreed on them. I truly am a TJ shopper so after the interview I went shopping and she flagged me down and had the Captain give me a quick interview as I was going through her line. That went ok. I have to check back with them as they haven't gone through their applications yet.

Part Time Crew Member Interview

When I went to hand in my application and resume I was caught off guard because I had an impromptu interview with one of the crew members. I guess that is their "screening process." Just be as relaxed and friendly as possible and you should be fine. If you made a good impression with whoever you turn in your application to, then they'll call you back to interview with a manager. They like people that are knowledgeable about their products, so do your research!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2014.

I turned in an application in person and the got a call the next week to come in for an interview. It was very professional yet cheerful and relaxed, with one crew member and a Mate. Then I waited a few days and got called back to a second interview with the Manager. It was also laid back and pretty straight forward.

Part Time Crew Member Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Attended job fair, had a 5 minute screening and left, got a call that day to come back in two days, did an interview with two Mates and then the Captain.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite Trader Joe's product and how would you sell it to a customer.   Answer Question