Trader Joe's

31 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Part-time Crew Member Interview

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied at Trader Joe's in April, 2014, got an instant mini interview with a Mate right there. Two weeks later I got a call and was set up for another interview, which I think went very well. Interview was very informal, I showed up dressed for a corporate interview and felt over dressed, nonetheless I think it went well. The Mate was nice and pleasant. I am waiting to hear back from them, really really hope I get the job, working for Trader Joe's would be a good fit for me since I am in school.

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult it was more of a discussion aimed at getting to know you type of flow   Answer Question

Saint Louis, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in October 2010.

Interview Details – very casual meeting. your demeanor and level of friendliness and enthusiasm is important. being an excellent team player is key.

Interview Question – typical retail interview questions, how to handle difficult customers, how easily you adapt to new situations   Answer Question

Shrewsbury, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in April 2011.

Interview Details – Interview was conducted in the hallway with other job seekers waiting on line behind you. Not very professional, but they understand their company is in high demand. Their excellent reputation did not match their anticipated level of business etiquette. Their initial response for the interview was quick, but the interview questions that were asked showed their team to be unprepared. I was very disappointed to say the least. Being asked inappropriate questions, removed any opportunity to hire me. I wasn't interested immediately. If the company behaved this way in an interview process, then it was clear to me that working there wasn't a right fit for me.

Interview Question – Unexpected Question: "Are you married?"   View Answer

Part-time Crew Member Interview

Part-time Crew Member
Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in October 2012.

Interview Details – Turned in application and got a brief interview from a mate. He approved of me and set up a meeting the next day. I met with another mate that morning and we talked sitting on a bench outside of target, which was fairly awkward, as homeless guys also like to sit there and shout. I thought they could have put more effort into finding a more suitable location for the interview. But despite that it went well and he requested I meet with the captain later on that same day, which I was willing to do. A few hours later, I spoke with the store captain at a table outside a sandwich place, which was slightly better than the Target bench, but still awkward. Things went well, and it seemed more of a final vetting than an exploratory interview, like he kept saying things like, "You're going to be doing such and such. Are you ok with that?" implying that I already had the job. I got called just two days later and offered the job. It was a very fast, largely pleasant experience, excepting the poor locations.

Interview Question – The captain quizzed me a bit on the history of Trader Joe's. Luckily, I had read the info on their website and answered them all correctly, which I think seriously impressed him, so definitely do your homework before going in.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – We negotiated before the offer. I really needed the gig so I didn't negotiate too much. Plus I know these hourly wages are pretty set in stone.

Florham Park, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2012.

Interview Details – 3 interviews before an offer was made.

Interview Question – Questions were easy.   Answer Question

Edgewater, NJ

I applied in-person and interviewed at Trader Joe's.

Interview Details – Take a math test answer vague questions

Interview Question – No questions were difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Interviewed at Trader Joe's

Interview Details – Two interviews

Interview Question – How would you deal with a difficult customer   Answer Question

Hollywood, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Trader Joe's in August 2011.

Interview Details – I handed in my application to the Captain, he called me a week later offering me a job.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any questions. I was offered the job right off.   Answer Question

Libertyville, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Trader Joe's in January 2014.

Interview Details – Printed application online went in to the store to hand in the application. Had a interview with the Mate( assistant manager) he asked some regular interviewing questions. Went and set up a second interview came in for the second interview which was laid back.

Interview Question – they ask what was my favorite Trader Joe's item.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate the pay seemed fair for the job and area.

Florham Park, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Trader Joe's in October 2013.

Interview Details – I went online and filled out TJ's application and brought it into the store along with my personal resume and cover letter. Once there a mate (manager) asked me a few questions like why I wanted to work at TJ's and how flexible my availability is. This took less than 5 minutes. They said they would review my resume and call me back for a second interview.
A few days later I received a call asking me to come in and interview with the store's captain.
This interview lasted about 15 minutes. At the conclusion of this interview, I was told they would call me in back within a week letting me know either way. About a week later I was called back and offered the position.

Interview Question – I was asked what my past experiences were, why I wanted to work at TJ's, and if I could handle job that has a high physical demand every day.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Trader Joe's

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Trader Joe's Part Time Crew Member interview questions and advice. All 31 interview reviews posted anonymously by Trader Joe's employees and interview candidates.