Trader Joe's Interview Questions in Portland, OR

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Part Time Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Trader Joe's in September 2013.

I submitted an application about a month before they called me for an interview. They did their usual few questions that they ask any time someone submits an application to there like what is your favorite product? Then a month later on Labor day a woman called me regarding a holiday position which has the potential to become a permanent position later down the road. That week I was actually planning to go out of town so she managed to fit me in for an interview the very next day when they weren't planning on holding them until later that week. So, I went in for my interview and I think the woman who talked to me forgot to make note of my early interview because when I went in they seemed confused about the fact that I was there. They decided to roll with it any way which was probably for the best because I got to interview with the Captain and a mate instead of just 2 mates this way skipping ahead in the interview process. The interview lasted about 25 minutes. They have you go outside and grab some crates then sit on them. They asked me quite a few general questions and a lot of the questions that other people had listed but luckily I had brushed up on them about a half hour before coming so I had them down. It wasn't a really tough interview mostly conversational with the captain asking pretty much all the questions while the mate just listened. They seemed fairly pleased with me and I left in fast fashion like I usually do after interviews. I had my phone off and then when I turned it on a few minutes after leaving I had a voicemail from the captain saying they tried to find me once I left but I was gone so quick they couldn't catch me. I called back and they wanted to offer me the job. So far they seem to be very accommodating considering I will be starting school at the end of this month as well as working around the fact that I am going out of town this week. So, I start on Monday.

Interview Questions
    • They ask situational questions at the end. They asked 3. They weren't too hard to answer.

1. I'm the Captain and I tell you stack crates one way and that is how you learned. Then the next day a mate tells you to stack them a different way and the next day a different mate tells you to stack them another way. What would you do?

2. You are on cash register one day and a customer comes to the register with a lot of groceries and they are talking on the phone. They are not paying attention and you are trying to tell them their total in a polite way to get them to notice and get them to pay. They start trying to run their card and they are sliding the card the wrong way. They finally get off the phone and they are frustrated because they were running the card the wrong way and the transaction wasn't going through. They finally get the card to slide and then they notice that you've single bagged all their items and they wanted them double bagged but they didn't tell you that? What do you do now?

3. You have been taught how to stock the shelves with chips one way. One day you are stocking with another crew member and they start stocking them a completely different way. What would you say to them?
        Answer Question
    I think I should have been ready to negotiate a little bit better. I had read online that most people start at 11 or 12 dollars an hour. So, when they offered me 10 I let them know that I had heard online that they pay 11. The store manager told me that due to my lack of grocery experience (Although I have 6 years of customer service and retail combined just not grocery) that she can only offer me 1 more dollar than what I had made at a previous position and I had only accepted 9 dollars an hour at my old job which was a pay cut because I really wanted to work there. I should have told them I had another job offer at a competitor store like whole foods that was will to pay me more because I know whole foods starts at 11.

Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lake Oswego, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Oswego, OR

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Trader Joe's in June 2011.

I dropped off my resume/cover letter and application and three days later I called and was able to set up an interview the following day. the first interview was with one of the store managers and the hiring manager. They told me to relax and be myself, I did well enough to even joke around with them. They said they didn't want the standard answers to questions so I was honest but cautious.
    A day later I had my second.
    The second interview was also with a store manager and I believe a supervisor, their questions were more direct but still the same fun attitude. There weren't too many questions asked, just tell us about yourself, and about your reason for leaving the last job, really basic questions.
    Really great interview process overall.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about yourself   View Answer
    • How well do you work under pressure?   View Answer
    • Whats the worst experience you've ever had with a customer?   View Answer
    Did not Negotiate, the offer was good enough for me.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!