Trafigura Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014
Updated Sep 25, 2014

3.2

Graduate Program Interview

Applied to Shanghai office. 2 panel interviews with managers and senior traders. Interviewers appeared very unprofessional. The organization of the interview process is a disaster. Some of the interviewers looked like they had no clue what they were supposed to ask. In many cases I had to think of questions to keep the conversation going. I failed to demonstrate my competencies because of the poor questions asked by the recruiter. After two rounds of interview, they told me I had been unsuccessful, asked me to transfer to the local programme which basically is grinding in the back office. Feels like they were banking on me to be transferred the whole time. terrible experience. The HR people from Geneva were nice though, but not really helpful.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what contango means and how can Trafigura profit from this.   Answer Question

Crew Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corpus Christi, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corpus Christi, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Trafigura in September 2013.

Very pleasant experience. I would recommend them to anyone

Interview Questions
    • All questions were expected. It was a panel interview.   Answer Question

Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Trafigura.

Two Phone interviews - Price of Brent Crude/WTI Crude
    Interview in Houston - Met with 4 associate level employees

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trafigura in October 2012.

Online application. Then got a phone screen from Geneva office. Moved onto the 1st round on-site interview at Stamford.

Interview Questions
    • How would you estimate the MtM value of e.g. oil product?   Answer Question

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Trafigura in April 2012.

Interviewed for Junior Trader Role. It was a first round interview. Second Round would have been in Geneva.

Two interviews. Each with a panel of two current employees, who were mostly traders. It was Saturday. Employees had a full day of non-stop interviews to get through. Three rooms with two interviewers each operated simultaneously.

Aced one interview, but I just could not click with the interviewers in the second room. The first interview I controlled the direction but the second one veered off course, and I could not save it. Partially my fault of course, but also the interviewers were not that great at interviewing either. I was not surprised when I was not selected for the next round, but I felt like with different interviewers I might have been able to convey what a great candidate they were missing out on if they did not choose me.

I was offered no feedback, which I thought was poor form.

Everyone was nice and professional. Jobs at the company are in high demand and they know it.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe in detail the hedges I would implement to protect myself on a cargo of Petroleum bought today for future delivery in one region on local pricing with intention to deliver if by sea to a different region on totally different pricing.   View Answers (6)

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Trafigura in January 2014.

Received call from consultant for an open position for Trafigura Mumbai

Interview Questions
    • Technical panel is itself seems adhoc. They themselves don't what they are exactly looking for in a candidate. Immature questions with rude attitude. Objective was completely uncertain for filling up the position. At a point thought of leaving the interview room straight away due changing pattern of mood of interviewer. They themselves are nervous and unaware of their own process. Panel is completely unsure of what skills they are looking to fill the position. Weird question and very weird reactions.   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Trafigura in December 2013.

1) Telephonic round basic questions about what I do...difference between functional and regression testing, Why automation..What are the steps to decide on automation
    2) Aptitude test.. including some SQL questions and one Java code..and some pseudo codes
    3) 2 F2F interviews...went well

Interview Questions
    • 1) Build a database for a customer order system. I am from testing so messed up here. It was a simple Q could have done better   Answer Question

Graduate Trainee Program Metals Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

I applied online – interviewed at Trafigura.

First submission of online application. After roughly seven weeks a first phone interview. Be prepared when a number from Geneva calls as they start right away. First round interview: two times 45 minutes with two professionals each. Very friendly atmosphere, most questions CV related and related to questions answered in the online application. Last round interview: two times 45 minutes with the global heads. Industry related questions, be sure to have a very clear picture of how the specific roles (Deals Desk, Operation etc. ) in this company work together. Be prepared for strange questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you compare "Dim Sum" (a Chinese meal) to this graduate program (!?)   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Trafigura in November 2013.

aptitude test

Interview Questions
    • apart from mathematical question all questions are unexpected, in fact questions includes from finance also   Answer Question

Group Financial Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Trafigura in April 2013.

Recuiter set up initial interview with hiring manager. Was interviewed initially by HR and CFO, was called back and interviewed by CFO together with Group Financial Manager. I was then sent a link to do write an online skills, personality and IQ test. Thereafter, canditates were shortlisted to 2 for final interview. I was called later by HR with an offer of employment which was followed up with an written offer via email.

Interview Questions
    • Can't recall. There were plenty technical questions as well as behavioral questions.   Answer Question
    Yes, negotiated in the final interview pay special attention to the benefits and how the package is put together as well as leave benefit.