Trafigura Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2015

2.9

Graduate Program Interview

Interview

Applied through college career website. Was contacted by HR via phone for first round screening in October, then went through two rounds of in person interviews (one in Stamford one in Houston). Each in person interview included two 30 min interviews, most of which were fit questions (what's your greatest weakness etc). Second round included several technical questions about hedging physical positions.

Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Trafigura (Stamford, CT) in November 2014.

Interview

Received a phone interview out of the blue and phone screening started right away. Was notified a few days later of being invited to the 1st round interview to be held one month later in their Stamford office.
    1st round interview was very easy- interviewers seemed unprepared and did not know what to ask.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a forward and a future?
      What countries are members of the opec?

Answer Question

Rotational Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

Phone screen from Switzerland than interview in Stamford.

Applied online first. Answering some questions on the online app.

Mostly behavioral and fit. Nothing really technical/quantitative in my opinion.

Not a good fit if you are looking for a more quantitative field.

Graduate Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trafigura (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

1st round: I was called from a Singapore number late one night for a phone interview
    2nd round: I flew to Houston for a 2-2 person panel interview
    Final round: I flew back to Houston for a 2-2 person panel interview

Know who the company is, what they do, who the compete with and current market dynamics.
    Trafigura was great in getting back to candidates after each round in 48 hours or less.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't need to negotiate. The offer was that amazing.

Graduate Program Interview

Interview

Applied to Shanghai office. 2 panel interviews with managers and senior traders. Interviewers appeared very unprofessional. The organization of the interview process is a disaster. Some of the interviewers looked like they had no clue what they were supposed to ask. In many cases I had to think of questions to keep the conversation going. I failed to demonstrate my competencies because of the poor questions asked by the recruiter. After two rounds of interview, they told me I had been unsuccessful, asked me to transfer to the local programme which basically is grinding in the back office. Feels like they were banking on me to be transferred the whole time. terrible experience. The HR people from Geneva were nice though, but not really helpful.

Interview Questions

• Explain what contango means and how can Trafigura profit from this.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Trafigura (Stamford, CT) in October 2013.

Interview

Applied Online. Heard back after about a month. They called me and began conducting a phone interview right away. Questions asked about physical risks in transporting oil from Africa to USA, why I wanted to work at Trafigura, if offered a position in South Afrrica or Mongolia which would I take and why, etc. I was slightly unprepared for the phone screen but received an offer to interview in Stamford office anyway. In-Person interview consisted of meeting with 2 younger employees and 2 more senior level employees. No unexpected questions, more of a conversation. 2 younger employees were very friendly and welcoming. I got the feeling they just wanted to make sure they'd be comfortable working with me. 2 senior employees were a bit more difficult. They didn't ask any technical questions, but they were much colder to me than the other 2 interviewers.
    I feel I didn't get the job because I didn't have a strong conversation with the more senior employees. HR was very prompt and told me within 24 hours after the interview that I would not be advancing to the 2nd round.

Interview Questions

• Tell me specifically the risks associated with transporting oil from Africa to USA.   1 Answer

Crew Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corpus Christi, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Trafigura (Corpus Christi, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

Very pleasant experience. I would recommend them to anyone

Interview Questions

• All questions were expected. It was a panel interview.   Answer Question

Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Trafigura (Houston, TX).

Interview

Two Phone interviews - Price of Brent Crude/WTI Crude
    Interview in Houston - Met with 4 associate level employees

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trafigura (Stamford, CT) in October 2012.

Interview

Online application. Then got a phone screen from Geneva office. Moved onto the 1st round on-site interview at Stamford.

Interview Questions

• How would you estimate the MtM value of e.g. oil product?   Answer Question

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Trafigura (Houston, TX) in April 2012.

Interview

Interviewed for Junior Trader Role. It was a first round interview. Second Round would have been in Geneva.

Two interviews. Each with a panel of two current employees, who were mostly traders. It was Saturday. Employees had a full day of non-stop interviews to get through. Three rooms with two interviewers each operated simultaneously.

Aced one interview, but I just could not click with the interviewers in the second room. The first interview I controlled the direction but the second one veered off course, and I could not save it. Partially my fault of course, but also the interviewers were not that great at interviewing either. I was not surprised when I was not selected for the next round, but I felt like with different interviewers I might have been able to convey what a great candidate they were missing out on if they did not choose me.

I was offered no feedback, which I thought was poor form.

Everyone was nice and professional. Jobs at the company are in high demand and they know it.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe in detail the hedges I would implement to protect myself on a cargo of Petroleum bought today for future delivery in one region on local pricing with intention to deliver if by sea to a different region on totally different pricing.   6 Answers