TransCanada Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2014
Updated Aug 20, 2014

2.8

Energy Trader Interview

First needed to fill in online application. Interviews consisted of meeting with three person team. I had two interviews for the position. Most questions were exploratory or behavioral questions. Best to use the STAR method and answer questions honestly. Interviewers were very professional. Process lasted a few weeks between each session.

Interview Questions
    • Had me work on a problem set applicable to the job and then review it with them. Was difficult as the information was incomplete. They wanted to see how you thought through a problem.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at TransCanada.

behavioural, what do you know about the o&g industry

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TransCanada in March 2013.

It started with a phone interview with an internal recruiter. We talked for about an hour about my background and the position. She said that she was pretty sure they wanted to move on to the next step, but would confirm via email in a few days. Two days later we scheduled a trip to fly to Omaha to interview. The handled the accommodations relatively smoothly. The onsite interview itself was a little different. It was scheduled at 5:30pm at the office. Once in the interview room, I sat on one side of the table, across from the HR Manager and two other Senior Managers. I tend to be very comfortable in interviews, but I'd never seen this type of set up before. They each had a packet (about 7 pages) of questions, that they just read off to me, and would write my responses as I spoke. Some of the questions were repetitive and were so vague that their correspondence came across as pretty robotic. The interview lasted for about 75 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't that bad or difficult, but be prepared for the 3 on 1 as mentioned above.   Answer Question

Facilities Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Morris, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morris, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at TransCanada in February 2010.

Was contacted a few days before the scheduled dates for the interview to set up a time. Was offered to interview at the job location or over the phone. The interview questions were partially based on experience performing the jobs duties and the rest were behavioral type questions requiring you to explain a time when you were in a specific situation and how you reacted and what the outcome was. The interview was approximately one hour in length and there were five individuals evaluating me.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your experience in performing pipeline patrols.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TransCanada.

Asked from a list of typical behavioral questions - ie tell me about a time when... give me an example of when you exhibited...
    Interviewed first with the manager, then with a member of the team
    Took a long time to hear back after interviewing, almost 2 months
    Very detailed background check was needed
    No human resource team was involved until the end

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions - just the usual behavioral questions   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at TransCanada.

I was contacted 3 weeks after applying. The interview was 2 weeks later

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had incomplete information and things were constantly changing and you had to make a decision.   Answer Question

Another opportunity

Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TransCanada in February 2014.

I applied through the TransCanada website and was invited to an interview at their offices about two weeks later. There were two interviewers and the questions were mostly behavioural.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time where you had to synthesize large amounts of information.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TransCanada.

Applied online for a new graduate position in Calgary. Got a call for an interview about 2 weeks later. Interviewed at the DT location with two individuals. Questions were behavioural style... nothing out of the ordinary. Received a rejection by phone 1-2 weeks later (did not make it to second round of interviews).

Interview Questions
    • "Name a time when you had to make an exception to the rule."
      "A colleague verbally attacks you during a team meeting. How do you respond to the situation?" (paraphrased)
      Most questions are behavioural style, as is the standard for oil and gas.
        Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at TransCanada.

Asked technical questions and behavior questions. Told me in the interview they will get back to me in a week but never replied.

Pipeline Integrity Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at TransCanada.

Found job posting off university website. Applied and approximately 2 weeks later, did the interview at the head office. There were three interviewers and they were all very kind.

Interview Questions

Worked for TransCanada? Contribute to the Community!