TransCanada

Updated Dec 5, 2014
Updated Dec 5, 2014

2.7

Geology Interview

I applied online – interviewed at TransCanada.

Applied online through a job board. Two rounds of phone interviews, each one an hour with two different project managers. The interviews took place in the late spring for a summer internship and apparently I was one of 6 or 8 chosen to conduct phone interviews out of 40 online applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly classic interview questions...Hardest question: What was a situation in which you faced a problem and you had to choose from a number of different solutions? how did you choose this option?

Also: Make sure you convince them that you are interested in a career in this industry post-internship. That will go a long way.

Answer Question
    no negotiation

Energy Trader Interview

First needed to fill in online application. Interviews consisted of meeting with three person team. I had two interviews for the position. Most questions were exploratory or behavioral questions. Best to use the STAR method and answer questions honestly. Interviewers were very professional. Process lasted a few weeks between each session.

Interview Questions
    • Had me work on a problem set applicable to the job and then review it with them. Was difficult as the information was incomplete. They wanted to see how you thought through a problem.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at TransCanada.

behavioural, what do you know about the o&g industry

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TransCanada in March 2013.

It started with a phone interview with an internal recruiter. We talked for about an hour about my background and the position. She said that she was pretty sure they wanted to move on to the next step, but would confirm via email in a few days. Two days later we scheduled a trip to fly to Omaha to interview. The handled the accommodations relatively smoothly. The onsite interview itself was a little different. It was scheduled at 5:30pm at the office. Once in the interview room, I sat on one side of the table, across from the HR Manager and two other Senior Managers. I tend to be very comfortable in interviews, but I'd never seen this type of set up before. They each had a packet (about 7 pages) of questions, that they just read off to me, and would write my responses as I spoke. Some of the questions were repetitive and were so vague that their correspondence came across as pretty robotic. The interview lasted for about 75 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't that bad or difficult, but be prepared for the 3 on 1 as mentioned above.   Answer Question

Facilities Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morris, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morris, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at TransCanada in February 2010.

Was contacted a few days before the scheduled dates for the interview to set up a time. Was offered to interview at the job location or over the phone. The interview questions were partially based on experience performing the jobs duties and the rest were behavioral type questions requiring you to explain a time when you were in a specific situation and how you reacted and what the outcome was. The interview was approximately one hour in length and there were five individuals evaluating me.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your experience in performing pipeline patrols.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TransCanada.

Situation-based questions like tell me a time when you did this or did that. I think it was averagely simplistic and one just needs to throw in some relevant details in your choice of answer. Recommend the STAR approach to answering those questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond your call of duty ...   Answer Question

Engineer In Training Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TransCanada in October 2014.

For the EiT positions there are two rounds of interviews. First round of interview was with HR where they asked only behavorial questions and lasted approx. 45 mins. Second round of interviews were with the managers of the specific groups they were hiring for. Some managers asked behavorial questions where others asked more analytical questions. It was possible to get technical questions too depending on which group/manager was interviewing you.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had to make a decision with incomplete information   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TransCanada.

Asked from a list of typical behavioral questions - ie tell me about a time when... give me an example of when you exhibited...
    Interviewed first with the manager, then with a member of the team
    Took a long time to hear back after interviewing, almost 2 months
    Very detailed background check was needed
    No human resource team was involved until the end

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions - just the usual behavioral questions   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at TransCanada.

I was contacted 3 weeks after applying. The interview was 2 weeks later

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had incomplete information and things were constantly changing and you had to make a decision.   Answer Question

Another opportunity

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TransCanada.

Applied online for a new graduate position in Calgary. Got a call for an interview about 2 weeks later. Interviewed at the DT location with two individuals. Questions were behavioural style... nothing out of the ordinary. Received a rejection by phone 1-2 weeks later (did not make it to second round of interviews).

Interview Questions
    • "Name a time when you had to make an exception to the rule."
      "A colleague verbally attacks you during a team meeting. How do you respond to the situation?" (paraphrased)
      Most questions are behavioural style, as is the standard for oil and gas.

Answer Question