TransCanada

Average Difficulty
26 candidate interviews

Mechanical Interview

Mechanical

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TransCanada in January 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was very well set up, with defined questions of the behavioral type. I was greeted at the door; they were on time and made me feel at ease. This was one of the better interviews I’ve had. You could tell that they were an organized company who had been doing this a long time.

Interview Question – Give us an example of an ethical decision you had to make on the job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was needed.

Energy Trader Interview

Energy Trader

Interviewed at TransCanada

Interview Details – First needed to fill in online application. Interviews consisted of meeting with three person team. I had two interviews for the position. Most questions were exploratory or behavioral questions. Best to use the STAR method and answer questions honestly. Interviewers were very professional. Process lasted a few weeks between each session.

Interview Question – Had me work on a problem set applicable to the job and then review it with them. Was difficult as the information was incomplete. They wanted to see how you thought through a problem.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at TransCanada.

Interview Details – Asked technical questions and behavior questions. Told me in the interview they will get back to me in a week but never replied.

Interview Question – Technical questions pertaining to fluid mechanics   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TransCanada.

Interview Details – Applied online for a new graduate position in Calgary. Got a call for an interview about 2 weeks later. Interviewed at the DT location with two individuals. Questions were behavioural style... nothing out of the ordinary. Received a rejection by phone 1-2 weeks later (did not make it to second round of interviews).

Interview Question – "Name a time when you had to make an exception to the rule."
"A colleague verbally attacks you during a team meeting. How do you respond to the situation?" (paraphrased)
Most questions are behavioural style, as is the standard for oil and gas.
  Answer Question

Summer Student Interview

Summer Student
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TransCanada in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through the TransCanada website and was invited to an interview at their offices about two weeks later. There were two interviewers and the questions were mostly behavioural.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time where you had to synthesize large amounts of information.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at TransCanada.

Interview Details – I was contacted 3 weeks after applying. The interview was 2 weeks later

Interview Question – Name a time when you had incomplete information and things were constantly changing and you had to make a decision.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Another opportunity

Pipeline Integrity Intern Interview

Pipeline Integrity Intern
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at TransCanada.

Interview Details – Found job posting off university website. Applied and approximately 2 weeks later, did the interview at the head office. There were three interviewers and they were all very kind.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in Pipelines field?   Answer Question

Director, Oil Pipelines Interview

Director, Oil Pipelines
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at TransCanada in July 2013.

Interview Details – An HR professional from Houston took care of everything. I was very well prepared and informed of the whole process. The interviews were excellent. I had 1 interview with my potentail boss and a second interview with potential direct reports.

Interview Question – No tough questions really. The only one that caught me off guard was a question regarding clients. Would I spend more time with a bigger client than a small one.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Only one round of negotiations. Offer was really good. They increased base salary by a small amount. I negotiated a start date and a signing bonus.

Mechanical EIT Interview

Mechanical EIT
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TransCanada.

Interview Details – Interviewed for 1 of 30 EIT positions. 2 rounds of interview. First round was with HR rep and 2 managers from the 15 or so projects. Everything was super casual. Standard behavioural questions. Looking to make sure you have time management and communication skills especially. Any work with contractors or managing concurrent priorities/needs of stakeholders is an asset. Make sure to ask for specifics about the day to day responsibilities before starting so that you can target your answers to the specific job. Some positions are more technical, some are more management style.

2nd round interview was 1 on 1 with a manager from the potential group you will be working with. I met with 2 different managers. 30 minutes each.

Interview Question – How will working at TC provide you with value. (ie how does this type of work align with your goals).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – TC has standardized their starting salary for EIT positions. Tried to negotiate, but was unable to move at all.

Engineer Interview

Engineer

Interviewed at TransCanada

Interview Details – 2 interviews. First was setup by the manager for phone with the team asking mostly behavioral/situational questions. What would you do? Think of a time when corporate and what was the outcome of your solution? The people were very friendly and open/honest with their discussion. Starbucks is on the ground floor of the building!

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Worked for TransCanada? Contribute to the Community!