TransCanada Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2014
Updated Sep 22, 2014

2.8

Energy Trader Interview

First needed to fill in online application. Interviews consisted of meeting with three person team. I had two interviews for the position. Most questions were exploratory or behavioral questions. Best to use the STAR method and answer questions honestly. Interviewers were very professional. Process lasted a few weeks between each session.

Interview Questions
    • Had me work on a problem set applicable to the job and then review it with them. Was difficult as the information was incomplete. They wanted to see how you thought through a problem.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at TransCanada.

Asked technical questions and behavior questions. Told me in the interview they will get back to me in a week but never replied.

Mechanical Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TransCanada in January 2013.

The interview was very well set up, with defined questions of the behavioral type. I was greeted at the door; they were on time and made me feel at ease. This was one of the better interviews I’ve had. You could tell that they were an organized company who had been doing this a long time.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of an ethical decision you had to make on the job?   Answer Question
    No negotiation was needed.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TransCanada.

Applied online for a new graduate position in Calgary. Got a call for an interview about 2 weeks later. Interviewed at the DT location with two individuals. Questions were behavioural style... nothing out of the ordinary. Received a rejection by phone 1-2 weeks later (did not make it to second round of interviews).

Interview Questions
    • "Name a time when you had to make an exception to the rule."
      "A colleague verbally attacks you during a team meeting. How do you respond to the situation?" (paraphrased)
      Most questions are behavioural style, as is the standard for oil and gas.
        Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at TransCanada in April 2010.

- was contacted a week before the interview
    - Typical behavioural type interview
    - relatively relaxed mood
    - some "what if" situation questions
    - short test at the end

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about yourself beside what it says on your resume   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TransCanada in March 2013.

It started with a phone interview with an internal recruiter. We talked for about an hour about my background and the position. She said that she was pretty sure they wanted to move on to the next step, but would confirm via email in a few days. Two days later we scheduled a trip to fly to Omaha to interview. The handled the accommodations relatively smoothly. The onsite interview itself was a little different. It was scheduled at 5:30pm at the office. Once in the interview room, I sat on one side of the table, across from the HR Manager and two other Senior Managers. I tend to be very comfortable in interviews, but I'd never seen this type of set up before. They each had a packet (about 7 pages) of questions, that they just read off to me, and would write my responses as I spoke. Some of the questions were repetitive and were so vague that their correspondence came across as pretty robotic. The interview lasted for about 75 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't that bad or difficult, but be prepared for the 3 on 1 as mentioned above.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at TransCanada.

I was contacted 3 weeks after applying. The interview was 2 weeks later

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had incomplete information and things were constantly changing and you had to make a decision.   Answer Question

Another opportunity

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TransCanada.

Asked from a list of typical behavioral questions - ie tell me about a time when... give me an example of when you exhibited...
    Interviewed first with the manager, then with a member of the team
    Took a long time to hear back after interviewing, almost 2 months
    Very detailed background check was needed
    No human resource team was involved until the end

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions - just the usual behavioral questions   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable

Engineer Interview

2 interviews. First was setup by the manager for phone with the team asking mostly behavioral/situational questions. What would you do? Think of a time when corporate and what was the outcome of your solution? The people were very friendly and open/honest with their discussion. Starbucks is on the ground floor of the building!

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TransCanada in May 2012.

I received a call back 2 weeks after submitting my application. I had a short telephone interview with the hiring manager, consisting of basic questions: Why I was looking for a new position, what were my career aspirations, what was my desired salary range, why I was interested in working for TCPL, etc. Immediately after answering his questions, he invited me to come in for an in-person interview in 3 days. I showed up to the interview and the hiring manager interviewed me one on one. It lasted about 45 minutes. I thought it went really well. He really took the time to explain all the business units and inner workings of TCPL. He was forthright and honest about the challenges of working there and some of the issues the HR department was trying to overcome. His questions were standard BDI with a mix of practical - tell me about a time when..... How would you handle yourself in this type of situation.... give me a specific example of when you had to..... etc.

He called me back a week later to tell me that they had selected another candidate. I was disappointed as I had a really positive experience and it looked like a great company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a specific example of a time when you had to be the champion of an initiative that wasn't exactly popular. How did you win over your employees?   Answer Question
    • Give me a specific example of a time when you had to coordinate two different groups of employees with opposing views for a project (or something like that).   Answer Question

Worked for TransCanada? Contribute to the Community!