TransMarket Group LLC

Updated Sep 21, 2014
Updated Sep 21, 2014

3.8

Junior Trader Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at TransMarket Group LLC.

A senior trader at Transmarket reached out to me via LinkedIn to schedule an interview. The firm seems to have a unique culture. It was described to me as being a cross between an IBank and a Tech firm, reach really just means the are trying to create a Google-like collaborative and fun environment by putting a ping pong table in their office and taking their employees on ski trips.

Interview process is pretty absurd. They ask you to read a textbook on derivatives and spend 10 hours studying.... Seems a little excessive given they are only one of many firms I was interviewing with at the time.

Interview Questions
    • First round was a brainteaser/statistics/probability round.

First question: you have two fair dice, the sum of which is equal to the value of a security. You have a call option on this security with a strike price of 7. If you are two roll each die once to give you the security value, what are you willing to pay for this call option?

Second Question: You have two coins, one fair coin and one with heads on both sides. You randomly choose one of the coins and flip it twice. The results are heads and heads. What is the probability that the coin you flipped is a fair coin.

Third Question: You have a spherical balloon that is deflating at a rate such that the radius is decreasing at a constant rate of 4cm/min. At what rate is the balloon deflating when the radius is .25cm.

Fourth Question: You have a circle with a radius of one. What is the probability that two randomly chosen points connected by a chord have a length greater than 1?

Second Round was all fit. Seems like a pretty unique firm in terms of culture (ski trips, paintball, golf, etc.). The first two guys I interviewed with seemed pretty cool, but the guy from the third round seemed like a hardo.

Third Round: They ask you to spend 10 hours reading Hull's textbook on options and futures, which is just about enough time to learn the very basics of options and futures if you have no background. I interviewed with a French guy with a very heavy accent, making it real difficult to comprehend anything coming out of his mouth.

First Question: You have a revolver with six chamber slots, and you load two bullets next to each other. You fire the gun once and it's not the bullet. You have the option to either re-spin the chamber, or fire again. Which gives you the higher probability.

Second Question: Call option at the money with strike of 100. What is a rough value for the price of the this option. What is the delta of this option?
        Answer Question

Junior Trader Interview

I applied online - interviewed at TransMarket Group LLC.

Applied on the University Career Center Website. Receive email to scheduel an Interview.
    For the first round, we would like to set up a 30-45 minute phone interview with you. Questions are meant to test foundational topics in calculus, probability & statistics, and finance at the level that would be presented in introductory level undergraduate courses. We recommend having scratch-paper and a calculator on hand.
    We strongly recommend you have a firm grasp on the topics listed in the book Options, Futures, and Other Derivatives by John C. Hull. Most successful candidates spend at least 10 hours prepping for this interview. Unfortunately we cannot provide any further information.

Upon successful completion of the first round, the next step is a more advanced phone call covering the concepts in the Hull book, followed by a personality/fit phone interview, and finally a full day in person interview.

Trader Interview

Applied online, and got a phone interview. Was doing pretty well at first but then tanked on the final brainteaser on a probability question. In hindsight, it was an easy question but I didn't prepare well enough.

Trader Interview

I applied online - interviewed at TransMarket Group LLC.

First round interview was a phone interview. I got interviewed by a trader from their company. There was 5 or 6 questions asked. The interview lasted approx 30 min.
    First question was a logic question about 2 stocks being correlated and how to act after one of the 2 moved in one way.
    The other question were quantitative

Interview Questions
    • The radius of a sphere is .25 the radius grows at a rate of 1 m/S. What is the rate of growth of the volume of the sphere.   View Answer

Trading Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at TransMarket Group LLC.

First round interview consisted of two logic questions and two knowledge questions. Only got 2 right but moved on. Second round was much more difficult, several technical trading and finance questions. Got maybe two-thirds of the questions right but failed to move on.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at TransMarket Group LLC.

Given an 8 hours programming test including 8 questions. The first seven questions take 4 hours, and the last one was to implement the Kalah game that take another 4 hours and it was required to be done in C++. After finishing it, send it back to recruiters.

Summer Trading Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TransMarket Group LLC in March 2014.

I had three phone interviews, one paper test, overall four rounds and failed on the fourth round. The first round is resume, brainer teaser, probability, basic finance questions (including options, currency, not very intellectually challenging), 45 minutes. After the first round, I received a paper test for fit in two days and then handed it in within 24 hours. Then comes the second round, resume, quite advanced finance questions, brain teaser, probability, some fit questions, another 45 minutes. I had the third phone interview half a month later. All fit questions. Quite tricky. I suppose this round is to test whether your have the character to be a successful trader or not. Unfortunately, I don't.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Compare the gamma for options with different maturities (other parameters remain the same).
      2. Compare the delta for a down-and-out option and a vanilla options.
      3. If you were put into a situation with no government, no standard moral codes, how you would behave?
      4. What do you think of criticism?
      5. What do you think of right or wrong?

The remaining probability or finance or brain teasers are quite simple from my perspective.
        View Answer

Trader Logic Intern Interview

Applied by emailing the recruiting, got a C++ take home test.

Interview Questions
    • All fairly easy programming question, but make sure your code is elegant and clean, while not taking too long to finish 6 hrs should be fair.   Answer Question

Junior Trader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TransMarket Group LLC.

It was a very technical interview. Asked math and logic questions. Interview was interesting and a fun experience, but they didn't ask anything about me or my experiences. They asked me to have a basis on a book called Options and its Derivatives but didn't ask me anything about markets.

Interview Questions
    • What is the minimum number of races needed to find the fastest three horses? You can only race 5 at a time. You have 25 horses.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TransMarket Group LLC in February 2014.

Applied online and received a response a couple weeks later to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was with a trader at the firm. He was clearly tired from the day and was not very enthusiastic. All questions were math and quant based. Not terribly difficult. But some questions seemed a bit odd to me, as they had nothing to do with trading. I have traded for about two years, so I figured the questions would be more trading based. There were NO questions about options or understanding of the market. The interviewer was helpful in giving me hints to some of the questions I was having trouble with, but didn't seem too sympathetic. I hadn't taken a Stat or quant class since college, so some of the questions I missed were due to forgetting some standard formulas and what not.

Make sure you practice A LOT of logic/quant/stat based questions. I used the "Heard on the Street" book, which was helpful. But to be honest, the questions transmarket asked were much more difficult then those in the book. Also, it is much more difficult to answer questions when you can't go back and re-read them. I would practice having someone else ask you the question and limit the amount you look at the actual practice questions.

I was very impressed with how thorough the interview process was. That being said, it is a very black and white process. Very little questions about your background and/or "fit"/personality questions. Have your calculator ready!

I've interviewed at many of the top prop shops in the Chicago, this was by far the hardest first interview I've ever had. Be sure to practice--Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • -If the radius of a sphere is expanding at a rate of 4 metres/second, and the starting radius is 0.25 metres, what is the volume of the sphere after 2 1/2 minutes?

-if the mean of X=4 and the variance of X is 9, and the mean of Y=5 and the variance of Y is 16, what is the standard deviation of X + Y given a relationship of -3/8 (x to y)?

- there are 3 faucets. Faucet #1 can fill a sink in 20 min, F#2 can fill a sink in 12 min, and F#3 can fill a sink in 5 min. If all 3 faucets are running at the same time, how long will it take for the sink to fill?
        View Answers (5)

Worked for TransMarket Group LLC? Contribute to the Community!