TransMarket Group LLC Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2015

3.8

Junior Relative Value Arbitrage Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at TransMarket Group LLC (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I've applied online and was contacted after about 4 weeks to schedule an interview. The company sent an email describing the type of questions I will face, which is general probability questions and topics in derivatives - pricing, strategies, Greeks etc.
    The interviews were challenging, you want to make sure you have a good grasp on theory and that you are able to discuss it in details if necessary. Beside that I felt it was a fair process and appreciated that the interviewer kept the atmosphere positive.

Interview Questions

• Explain the meaning of different Greeks, and what can we conclude from comparing two assets with different values? (under a set of assumptions, which one is better?)   Answer Question

Algorithm Trading Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TransMarket Group LLC (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

first round coding test, 8 question, second round finance and c++ question, third round behavioral question. phone interview. The interviewer did not call on time. prepare to be 20 minutes late.

Relative Value Arbitrage Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TransMarket Group LLC (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online was contacted a month later to set up a phone interview. They told me there would be Statistical and probability questions as well as calculus. They also asked me to read several chapters of the John C. Hull book. The interviewer was really friendly and tried to give me hints for all of the questions. Unfortunately I was woefully unprepared for the brainteaser type questions and the Hull question and only got 1 question correct. not expecting to get a call back.

Interview Questions

• You have a bag of coins, 3 nickels, 2 dimes, and 1 coin with no value. what is the probability that there is a difference in value of the coins of 5 cents if you remove two coins from the bag?

Stone drops into a pool and makes a ripple that has a radius that expands at 3 ft/sec. what is the rate at which the area is changing at 10 seconds?

if a dice lands on an even number you get paid $15 if it lands on odd you have to pay $5 calculate the sharp ratio of this given a zero% risk free rate?

calculate the fair value of an option on a stock that is worth $100 today and will be worth $110 or $95 tomorrow? the option expires tomorrow.

Also asked what I knew about the firm before the stat and probability questions. and then asked about my resume after the technical questions.

Answer Question

Junior Relative Value Arbitrage Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TransMarket Group LLC (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted after around one month. Then a phone interview was scheduled. I did not get past this part. Personally I am not a morning person and wake up with an IQ of 50 so this interview being at 8am did not do me much good. Either way the guy interviewing me was very nice and overall it was a very pleasant interview. They help you if you get stuck and will give hints to guide you to the right answer. It was basically just market related questions with some probability and math questions.

Interview Questions

• What is you opinion of the market?   Answer Question
    • What's the probability of getting 2 tails before 3 heads?   1 Answer
    • You throw a rock into a pond and the ripple expands as a perfect circle at 3cm/second. At what rate is the area of the circle expanding at 10 seconds?   Answer Question
    • You have a call option on a security worth 100 now that will either be worth 110 or 95 dollars at a future date. The strike of this option is 105. What is an estimated value of this call option?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at TransMarket Group LLC.

Interview

First submit Resume on the website. Then online test. The online test is a programming test which includes 8 problems. It is a bit like OJ. After that is the phone interview, like other companies. The phone interview is not hard but it seems that you had better get all the questions correctly answered.

Interview Questions

• design a stack, which can return the minimum value, from leetcode   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at TransMarket Group LLC in March 2015.

Interview

Introductory phone interview. Asked 5 questions on probability, statistics, and calc (not to bad, first derivative stuff). I bombed it having not practiced those skills in almost a decade. Still a good experience.

Interview Questions

• A guy goes to the store with just enough money for 30 balloons. When he arrives, he discovers there is a massive balloon sale: buy 1 at regular price, get the second for 2/3 regular price. How many balloons can the guy buy?   2 Answers
    • A perfectly round puddle's radius is expanding at 2ft/sec. When the radius is 60ft, at what rate is the area expanding?   1 Answer
    • There are 100 unique cards labeled 1 through 100 that are shuffled. You are dealt 4 random cards. The bet: you get $50 if you can turn over the cards in ascending order. You have to pay $2 if you cannot. Do you take the bet?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TransMarket Group LLC (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I had two phone interviews and one in-person interview with two analysts, the finance director, and the CFO and had to take a Microsoft Excel test. The phone interviews were pretty relaxed since they just wanted to get to know what kind of person you are in general.

Interview Questions

• What kind of office environment would you prefer to work in, one that is more flat or hierarchal?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TransMarket Group LLC (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

first round is online test. Given 7 problems and one personal project/a large chunk of code you write. Problems 3 ez rest hard. All algorithm problems, involving advanced ones such as DP. The test system is a bit less intelligent. It does not allow helper functions (link error). If pass online test, second round will be team specific. Test on knowledge of C++ or other topics. Third round is personality test. If all pass, will arrange onsite with you.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TransMarket Group LLC.

Interview

1st round interview: about 30 minutes. Interviewer called me 40 minutes late, so was caught off guard. Went straight into math questions, nothing behavioral. They assigned reading up on basics of derivatives (about 100 pages, very math-oriented), but only 1 question was asked on derivatives. Overall, strange interview.

Interview Questions

• If you have a 125cm^3 cube of ice melting at 8cm^3/min, what is the change in surface area per min?   3 Answers

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at TransMarket Group LLC.

Interview

2 Phone Interviews. Both had a little bit of behavior/fit questions. But the first one consisted of brain teasers, calculus problems, and probability problems. They were pretty tough. the Second interview, he asked me all of the trading questions. They wanted me to study the text book.

Interview Questions

• Most of the trading questions were hard for non-traders.   Answer Question