Transamerica

55 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Portfolio Research Intern Interview

Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Transamerica in March 2014.

Interview Details – Got a phone interview invitation and set up a phone call 2 days after with the hiring manager. The questions are half behavior-based and half technique-based. There are some interactions between me and the interviewer, but not much. At the end, the hiring manager introduced a little bit about Transamerica and the position.

Interview Question – What is your most favourite and unfavourite course? What do you know about duration? What do you know about investment grade and high-yield bonds?   Answer Question

Agency Coordinator/Recruiter Interview

Wilkes-Barre, PA

I applied through other source and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Transamerica in September 2011.

Interview Details – I had to go through 4 interviews. At least you feel like you have accomplished something when you make it through all 4 interviews.
1: Initial interview
2: Review of the expectations/job duties
3: both district manager and regional manger interview
4: offer and acceptance interview

Sadly not all interviewees have this amount of time to give, but i did take temp seasonal employment while going through this process.

Interview Question – What do you value the most, it is hard to narrow it to just one thing.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Long and tedious, some people do not have the time or patience for what could take weeks.

Very Difficult Interview

Actuarial Intern Interview

Baltimore, MD

I applied online - interviewed at Transamerica in March 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewer was highly unprofessional. Made derogatory comments about my work experience (then why are you interviewing me?). Asked "So uh... we aren't going to pay to move you out here or interview you so how's this going to work?" in a combative way. I was caught off guard by the tactless and rude phrasing, but told her I would be more than willing to relocate for the temporary position out of my own pocket, and I'd at least get to see what the area and company were like. to which she replied "uh... Why? We aren't going to give you a permanent position." At this point I was pretty put off by the entire interview and did my best to tie up the event smoothly. I was expecting some of the questions to be asked, but not in such a flagrantly hostile way with such a condescending tone. Total witch.

Interview Question – Just prepare to be treated like you're less than a human being and you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

Interviewed at Transamerica

Interview Details – Experience initiating and completing Projects from start to finish. Use MS Project 2010 and Project Server

Interview Question – How many Projects have you been responsible for at the same time and give specific examples on how you handled them so they were successful.   Answer Question

Intern In Finance & Actuarial Department Interview

Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Transamerica in April 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a summer internship position for the summer of 2013. There were two rounds of interviews, each about 30-45 minutes long, first with an HR person, and then with two people who would be my supervisors as an intern. They were all very nice, and it seemed more conversational than interrogational. HR person asked more behavioural questions while the other interviewers asked more technical questions, as to be expected.

Interview Question – How many gas stations are there in America?   Answer Question

ETL Developer Interview

Interviewed at Transamerica

Interview Details – There was one round of telephone interview. Interview was well rounded focussing on the required skills the company needed which was Informatica.

Interview Question – Interview process covered Informatica technical questions, Oracle dB & Unix   Answer Question

Social Media Monitoring Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Transamerica.

Interview Details – HR was disorganized but they were very friendly and welcoming. Interview process was straight forward, until they never responded about whether I got the position or not (obviously, I didn't get it, but after 3 interviews I would think they'd at least let me know). Other than that, the interview process was great.

Interview Question – What do I like to do in my free time   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern Interview

Saint Petersburg, FL

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Transamerica.

Interview Details – Saw it online at corporate site, phone interview twice (HR, FSA)

Interview Question – Not really much about behavioral questions; more on skills, experiences   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Agent Interview

Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Transamerica in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was recruited while working my current job, by a recruiter and invited to meet the personal manager for an interview. I arrived for the "interview," which was a causal sit down with the personal manager. She asked a few questions about my work habits and if I was unhappy with my current job. After passing 20 minutes of conversation, I was then invited back for a group interview/presentation.

For phase three the interview/presentation, consisted of meeting in the DTC office with 9 other candidates. The candidates are then observed interacting. Next the candidates are taken on an office tour to meet the various levels of managers. The tour ends in a meeting area where candidates then are instructed to mingle with current employees. No employee are allowed to answer basic employment questions, instead the are only allowed to say "your questions will be answered in the presentation." The current employees were allowed to discuss how their life has improved since being recruited. Next the candidates are taken to the "presentation," in another office with a projected. The personnel manager then gives a presentation to the candidates similar to an investment firm's sales pitch. Afterwards, the presenter invites all interested candidates to meet with the next level of management for a one-on-one session. In the one-on-one session any questions the candidates will have all questions answers. So I volunteer for the one-on-one interview, still looking for information on the job I was recruited for. I'm then asked a list of 10 short standard interview questions. The managers then have me wait outside while my candidacy is discussed. Next I'm invited back in with a job officer pending my payment of $100 for a background check and the passing of the state licensing exam for Investment Adviser Licensing. Finally, the position is made clear and I declined politely. The manager then became defensive and wanted to understand my grounds for declining. I explained I was interested in the posted available jobs and was not interested in being a investment agent. I was then told those positions were not available.

Break Down

Phase 1: Recruited
Phase 2: Causal meet with personal manager
Phase 3: Group candidates meeting and company tour
Phase 4: Group presentation
Phase 5: One-on-one interview
Phase 6: Job offer and payment for background check
Phase 7: Wait for background check and payment to clear
Phase 8: Training in office for state licensing exam and 2-3 weeks shadowing [unpaid]
Phase 9: Pass exam, obtain licensing, and refund for exam
Phase 10: Officially hired and need to find clients to manage/invest

Interview Question – No one during the interview process could answer simple questions about the position like what is the position, hours, or pay. I was being recruited for some unknown position. I even researched the company online and check for the available positions and specifically about posted jobs. Only the top managers were allowed to answer questions.

One-on-one interview question: Why hasn't anyone else tired to hire you?
  View Answer

Reason for Declining – The entire process seemed a bit shady and unstable. No actual information was provided on the position until the very end. The company wanted $100.00 to cover a background check and then $300.00 to cover the cost of licensing. It was then stated the $300.00 would be refunded to the applicant after passing the state licensing exam.
This format was described in the presentation as "In business for yourself, but not by yourself."

Actuarial Temporary Clerk Interview

Iowa City, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Transamerica in November 2012.

Interview Details – There was only one interview on campus

Interview Question – I was asked a lot of technical questions from a paper for SQL, C++ and VBA   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Transamerica

Worked for Transamerica? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Transamerica interview questions and advice. All 55 interview reviews posted anonymously by Transamerica employees and interview candidates.