Transamerica Investment Management Interview Questions & Reviews

2 interviews

3.5

Account Executive, Retirement Plans Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Transamerica Investment Management in July 2008.

Recruiter with whom I'ver worked in the past contacted me with an opportunity that she thought would be a good fit for me. I was very interested in the position and the company. She prepped me for my initial phone interview with the hiring manager. That initial phone conversation with the hiring manager lasted about 20 minutes. After about a week of waiting, the recruiter contacted me and said that the hiring manager wanted to meet me in person. She mentioned that I might also meet the other members of the team. The following week, I went to the local office for the in-person interviews. I first met with the hiring manager--easy to talk to, pretty laidback. He gave me lots of insight on the position and the office atmosphere. Then I met with three other employees, all of whom had a lot of tenure with the company. They each provided me with different takes on the business and the company. I enjoyed meeting with all of them. In all, I spent about three hours there. After waiting about another week for feedback, the recruiter contacted me to let me know I'd made it to the finalist presentation. TA would fly me out to their home office in Los Angeles. There, I would meet with a half-dozen of their compliance and client management team. They gave me a case study, not very detailed, and I had to create a presentation for it, pretending that the home office team was the client. I went all out for it -- created a Powerpoint, color bound presentation booklets, other handouts, and even created a fake businesscard for myself. When I got to LA, I first met with the HR hiring manager. We exchanged niceties and she reviewed the company's benefits package with me. Then she walked me to the home office team for whom I would present. Each person filed into the room and I introduced myself to them. My presentation took about fifteen minutes, and they each took turns asking me questions, as though they were retirement plan clients. I did pretty well, except the one compliance guy/ERISA geek nabbed me on a tax question pertaining to the state of California. Being from the East Coast, I had no idea how to answer, so I just told him I'd look into it, asked for his email address, and responded to him a day later when I returned home and was able to look up the answer to his question. Another week went by with no word. Finally, my recruiter called me back to tell me that the job went to the other finalist. The feedback I received was very good--they liked me, told the recruiter I was polished and well-prepared; the only drawback was that I had no real-life experience in the role, and the person who ultimately got the job did. It was a great experience for me nonetheless. I think it's a good company and would be open to interviewing with them again if the opportunity ever arose.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to break difficult/bad news to a client.   Answer Question
    • When I contribute to my 401(k) plan as a California resident, is a distribution from my plan taxable?   Answer Question

Billing Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Transamerica Investment Management in June 2010.

It was alittle nerve wracking having six people stare at you while they ask you questions, but just try to remember that you're also interviewing them to see if you wnat to work there.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you missed a deadline, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Transamerica Investment Management

Worked for Transamerica Investment Management? Contribute to the Community!