Transport for London

Relevance Date Difficulty

Communications Interview

Communications
London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Transport for London.

Interview Details – In the past month I have attended 4 interviews at TFL; each for a different communications position with different hiring managers. My experience of the interview process was a little mixed based upon several issues such as interview style, location and feedback.

Style
Within the first two sessions, the interviewers were prepped with generic competency question sheets while the rest came unprepared and jumped about with various questions.

Location
On one occasion the interview took place in the middle of a busy café which was extremely distracting.

Feedback
Despite prompting from my recruitment agency, TFl never provided any confirmation of outcome or feedback on the roles I applied for. I'm not sure whether I was unsuccessful or whether the job just disappeared. Any follow was simply ignored.

Interview Question – All fairly standard competency questions on issues such as time management, conflict resolution, adaptability   Answer Question

Infrastructure Manager Interview

Infrastructure Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Transport for London.

Interview Details – Interview and technical presentation

Interview Question – Real life technical situation given to resolve   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate but I should have. You do not get if you do not ask.

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Graduate Civil Engineer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Transport for London in January 2014.

Interview Details – The whole process was very professional, they got back to me quite early after I submitted the online application. Their website gives a thorough description of both the application process and of what to expect on the assessment day.

Most of the activities on the assessment day were run by HR, but for the presentation and interview there were also scheme sponsors present. I got an impression of TfL as a friendly and laid back company, and would recommend applying.

Interview Question – There were two technical questions, one on structural behaviour and another on ground behaviour. No calculations necessary, just talk about what you would do in a certain situation.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Mechanical Engineering

Interviewed at Transport for London

Interview Details – Online assessments then a telephone interview - behavioural type questions, then assessment centre. Good guidance on website for preparation for telephone interview.

Interview Question – Questions were as expected, just based on company values   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Transport for London in August 2013.

Interview Details – straight forward, i came in as a contractor so only 1 round

Interview Question – easy questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none - cotnract role

Graduate Scheme Interview

Graduate Scheme

Interviewed at Transport for London

Interview Details – Got to telephone stage and the interviewer kept cutting me off and seemed very impatient (I was making sure not to babble on).

Interview Question – Nothing specific, just asking questions I had already answered but saying to be more 'specific' when all details had been given.   Answer Question

Graduate Surface Transport Engineer Interview

Graduate Surface Transport Engineer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Transport for London in December 2012.

Interview Details – Online application: CV+Cover Letter+A few competency questions (ie Why TFL, Time when you solved a problem, etc)
Numeracy & Logical Reasoning Test (Around 30mins each)
Telephone Interview: Why TFL, Why specific Scheme, Time when you had to deal with a difficult person, Most difficult project, Time when you put someone before you priorities.

Interview Question – Put a person/customer before priorities   Answer Question

Graduate Finance Interview

Graduate Finance

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Transport for London in December 2012.

Interview Details – Collaboration: Building Relationships
Time when I needed to adapt or change my own plan in response to the different priorities of work pressures influenced by other people? What did I do and what did I learn from the experience?

Interview Question – 3) Diverse Customer Experience
Tell me about a time when I had to understand needs and requirements for some one and ? The customer can be some one internal or external.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Did'nt want the job afterall

Civil Engineering Intern Interview

Civil Engineering Intern
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Transport for London in June 2011.

Interview Details – Offer came up online very late, but I applied online and was asked to complete several online tests on the same day.

Was called the next day for a telephone interview, and then attended the London office for a technical interview with the supervisors that I would be working for.

Was called the next day to be given offer.

Interview Question – Explain a difficult situation that you encountered when working in a team, and how you managed to overcome the difficulty.   Answer Question

Change Manager Interview

Change Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Transport for London in March 2012.

Interview Details – Communication was effective

Interview Question – Describe your most challenging work assignment?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fairly negotiable

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Transport for London? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Transport for London interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Transport for London employees and interview candidates.