Transport for London Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2014

3.1

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Transport for London in October 2014.

competency based questions on your role as a customer service to your passenger in terms of helping an aggressive client at the station, what was your reaction, what did you do to handle such situation.

Interview Questions
    • Role play, literacy and numeracy and one to one interview   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Transport for London.

Applied via Careers website and it took just over two weeks to be notified by HR of successfully passing through the initial screening stage. Another week then passed before the interview date was confirmed but I was pleased with the more than adequate information provided on the specific competencies sought. Guards at reception were rather robotic/sleepy-eyed. Interview itself was conducted by section head and senior colleague-to-be and went rather well. It was a positive experience on the whole.

Interview Questions
    • Explain your career history to date   View Answer
    • Tell me me when you have had to overcome obstacles to meet objectives   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

initial communication was great but afterwards there wasnt much communication.
    interview was mainly based on competency questions and pass experience.
    was interviewed by two people in the current team one being the manager
    there was only one interview which was face to face. interview lasted just over an hour
    no feedback was provided or outcome

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Transport for London.

In the past month I have attended 4 interviews at TFL; each for a different communications position with different hiring managers. My experience of the interview process was a little mixed based upon several issues such as interview style, location and feedback.

Style
    Within the first two sessions, the interviewers were prepped with generic competency question sheets while the rest came unprepared and jumped about with various questions.

Location
    On one occasion the interview took place in the middle of a busy café which was extremely distracting.

Feedback
    Despite prompting from my recruitment agency, TFl never provided any confirmation of outcome or feedback on the roles I applied for. I'm not sure whether I was unsuccessful or whether the job just disappeared. Any follow was simply ignored.

Interview Questions
    • All fairly standard competency questions on issues such as time management, conflict resolution, adaptability   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

interviewed at Transport for London in June 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter about the role at Transport for London. It sounded like a good opportunity, and my skills were a good match for the position, so I agreed to be submitted. A week later I was asked to attend an interview at the St James's Park head office.

The staff at the front desk were quite disorganised, and I was left waiting for 5 minutes before they managed to contact the hiring manager (they even asked me to confirm whether I was at the correct building!) and then another 5 minutes to be collected from the ground floor.

The interview itself was conducted in a shabby, run down looking office, and was with two staff. A man who introducted himself and said he was the hiring manager, and a woman who only introduced herself by her first name and said nothing else for the rest of the interview.

The main line of questioning was heavily qualifications and documentation based, ignoring all my previous IT experience and they types of projects I'd been involved in, and what I did. The biggest concern was whether I'd put together a RACI document and what methodology I used.

I get the impression that, being a government organisation, the interview was a box ticking exercise. That is, they had a set of criteria for the applicant to meet, and if whoever managed to tick all the boxes was hired. They had no desire to utilise skills or experience outside their criteria, and I felt the man interviewing me wanted to demonstrate how much he knew about "project management" (but avoiding anything IT related as I suspect he knew very little on the subject).

I was very suprised at this, as if they were looking for specific qualifications to be held as a pre-requiste, then they shouldn't have wasted by time by calling me for an interview. THe recruiter was unable to explain why this happened.

Interview Questions
    • What is one of the drawbacks of a balanced matrix reporting model?   View Answer

Infrastructure Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Transport for London.

Interview and technical presentation

Interview Questions
    • Real life technical situation given to resolve   View Answer
    I did not negotiate but I should have. You do not get if you do not ask.

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Online assessments then a telephone interview - behavioural type questions, then assessment centre. Good guidance on website for preparation for telephone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were as expected, just based on company values   Answer Question

Graduate Scheme Interview

Got to telephone stage and the interviewer kept cutting me off and seemed very impatient (I was making sure not to babble on).

Interview Questions
    • Nothing specific, just asking questions I had already answered but saying to be more 'specific' when all details had been given.   Answer Question

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Transport for London in January 2014.

The whole process was very professional, they got back to me quite early after I submitted the online application. Their website gives a thorough description of both the application process and of what to expect on the assessment day.

Most of the activities on the assessment day were run by HR, but for the presentation and interview there were also scheme sponsors present. I got an impression of TfL as a friendly and laid back company, and would recommend applying.

Interview Questions
    • There were two technical questions, one on structural behaviour and another on ground behaviour. No calculations necessary, just talk about what you would do in a certain situation.   Answer Question

Communications Graduate Scheme Interview

interviewed at Transport for London in January 2014.

Applied online, had to do an online numerical reasoning test and then received a phone interview invitation. The phone interview was fine, on one question the interviewer kept asking for more detail and then another scenario - so I assume this question was not satisfactorily answered.
    Following the phone interview I received an email saying that my application had passed this stage and that I would hear from them in the future.
    Many weeks (maybe even a month) later I received an email saying that they were not able to process my application and would not be sending feedback.
    The application stage was fine, not the best I've experienced, but also not the worst.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you went beyond expectations for customer service   Answer Question