Travelers Companies Claim Operations Specialist Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2015

Claims Operations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

The interview process can take some time, as Travelers believe in only hiring top talent. There are multiple interviews. Be prepared to be able to give specific examples of how you performed in prior roles. Make sure that you always have questions at the end of the interview. Be yourself and RELAX.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Travelers Companies

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Melville, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Positive but they are terrible with feedback. I applied in February but they filled the position. A recruiter called me and we scheduled a phone interview which was easy. I was sent an online application to fill out before the first interview. First interview was two unit managers who were very friendly. Mostly situation questions. Second interview was with the director of operations and claims vp which was positive although they were slightly standoffish. I talked with them and felt very comfortable. Sent my thank you notes the next day and I haven't heard anything. I sent a follow-up emails to both managers as well about 2 weeks later yet still nothing so I'm not sure. The experience was positive but they need to have communication with applicants. A simple email or call would have sufficed yet today most companies have little to no etiquette with feedback. Advice is to be yourself and prepare beforehand.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with your supervisor?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Sacramento, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and within a few days I was contacted for a phone interview. I had the phone interview and was told by the recruiter she was just beginning the process and would not be sure when they could get back to me.

1.5 weeks later I was called again by the recruiter and was told that they wanted to consider me for a higher up position and told me to apply for the Claims Operation Specialist position and someone would call me to schedule an in person interview.

Within a few hours I was called and scheduled for April 27th @ 2:00p.m. I had interviewed with the Operations Manager, HR Director, and the Department Manager at once. I had read they usually call you for separate interviews with these people if they want you to advance further. I was asked all situational questions and about my proficiency with Microsoft.

May 4th, I was called by my recruiter and offered the position contingent with a background and drug test. The pay for the position is a lot more then what I was initially expecting. Travelers' is very generous with their pay, benefits, and PTO.

May 5th, I submitted all my paperwork for the background check and went on my drug screen. The background check is extremely lengthy and detailed. It took about a week and 2 days for mine to come back clear.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you made a mistake and how did you fix it? Etc.   Answer Question

Claim Operations Specialist Interview

Interview

1 phone interview. 1 panel interview with operations manager (2 people). 1 interview with director of operations. 1 interview with vp of operations and director of hr. 4 interviews all togther.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating

Anonymous Employee in Diamond Bar, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Diamond Bar, CA).

Interview

The interview process is very thorough and highly organized. You are given the opportunity to meet with roughly 10 different people in 5 different interview sessions. The individuals you don't have an opportunity to interview with get a chance to eat lunch with you and one other candidate during an impromptu interview during lunch. Overall, I had a positive experience and really felt like I was able to learn a lot about Travelers and the people that I would potentially be working with.

Interview questions were all behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when something unexpected happened and you had to change your plans.
      If management made a decision you didn't agree with what would you do?

Answer Question

Claim Operations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

The first step was the phone interview which was about 30 mins. If the phone interview went well, they offer to schedule an In-person interview which is about 30 mins. The next step is a panel interview for 4 hours. I was not offered the position so this was as far as I got.

Interview Questions

• It was all typical interview questions. They want actual events for an answer and not hypothetical responses.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Diamond Bar, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Diamond Bar, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied for a job on travelers website on 4/14. Received an email to schedule a phone interview on 5/2. Passed the phone interview. Went on the next step, which was in person screening. Received a call the very next day to move on to the next step, which was a panel interview. This was scheduled two weeks out. In the mean time I prepared for the interview thoroughly. I wanted to make sure I did well because I was determined to receive a job offer. The panel interview was a little surprising because there were 4 other interviewees that I was not prepared to see. I thought for a second that it was a group interview and I would have probably walked out if that were the case.

We basically played round robin and each person interviewed then switched to the next interview. There were a total of 5 all together.

During the interviews I believed I really gave it my all and even after a couple negative moments I was able to quickly turn it around to the point where I felt confident that I impressed them under pressure. Also, on 2 occasions, I had my interviews say “Wow” when I asked them my questions at the end.

Good Impressions:

Most interviewers were very attentive and seemed interested in what I was saying.

They looked like they were taking very thorough notes

They also seemed unusually pleasant, only way I can describe it is right out of the movie Pleasantville

Bad Impressions:

One of the ladies being on her phone and texting here and there

During one of my interviews I was, quite literally, interrogated about my length of time in college. School part-time, working full-time definitely makes the four-year plan out of reach.

Another woman basically rolled her eyes at me during my interview.

It seemed like icebreaker jokes went right over their heads. Very serious people here

One of the other candidates decided to leave during the panel interview process and I am certain it was based on the lack of friendly questions asked by the two ladies there.

Based on recent reviews of how the company runs and operates, I believe receiving no offer was a blessing in disguise.

Interview Questions

• Were the personal questions, ie, length of time in school. I felt judged on something that I deem a personal success story.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Walnut Creek, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

Intial phone interview. Three in person interview and then you should know within a week if you are hired or not.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didnt negotiate the pay is pretty competitive

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Buffalo, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

Originally interviewed for a call center position and was told I would hear either way (after a phone interview, computer test, and in person interview over the course of two months). I did not hear after two weeks of the final interview, though the job was set to start the following week. I finally was able to get a hold of somebody who told me the class was cut and therefore, they had to cut positions and I was one of those. They asked to keep my resume for future positions, which I agreed to though I wasn't expecting anything. Ended up with an interview within the claim operations department about a month later. It took two in person interviews and the process was much quicker and more effective, I was offered a position within three weeks from the date of my first interview. The background check was very extreme and took two weeks to process, but I didn't have any issues beyond that. After the first day, it's very "go with the flow" for the moment, but everyone has been extremely welcoming and offering any assistance possible and has said hi as they pass in the hall. So far, so good.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were faced with a challenge in the workplace and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question
    • What is your ideal work environment?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was told what the starting salary was in the phone call when I was offered the position. I did not attempt to negotiate as the salary was double what the job I currently had was and I had no experience in the insurance area.