Travelers Companies

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Travelers Companies in September 2011.

Interview Details – So I went to a career fair to meet with these people and I made a good impression there and they asked me to fill out their online application. I already had and a day or two later someone from out of state called to set up a phone screen for a week later. The phone screen was an overview of the position and some questions about my resume. I think this was mostly to make sure I knew what I was applying for the position is somewhat rigorous with some non traditional hours and travel. I was well aware and communicated that over the phone. After that I was contacted for a skills test/IQ test at their area office. The test consisted of pattern recognition, geometry, spatial recognition, and interpreting policies. The last bit they had you edit an excel spreadsheet and compose a letter to an angry customer to whom a claim was denied. The test wast timed so there was some pressure there and I didn't get to the last one or two questions on a few of the sections. They give you the formulas for the math in the test, but make sure you know them before going because going back to look up a formula will waste a ton of time. I wasn't sure on a section or two, but apparently I did alright and I was invited back a week later for an interview with two people. It was a behavioral interview that focuses on ethics, difficult situations, and problem solving. I was just out of school and I didn't have too much to go on in terms of actual ethical dilemmas. There was very little flow to the conversation because they read from a packet of HR sanitized questions and wrote down my answers. There was pressure to be short with my answers so I didn't feel like I got a chance to explain very much. The second part of the interview had me talking to one of the reps. He was a six year veteran and he seemed to be someone most people in the office looked to for guidance. He went over the details of his daily routine and talked about the things on his list and he answered my questions told a story or two and showed me out. I waited two weeks to hear back then called to confirm my suspicions and received no response to my message. I took another offer and that was that.

Interview Question – What was a time when you had to go outside the rules in order to help someone.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in May 2010.

Interview Details – First got a phone interview, after that I was asked to go to Cleveland about 2 weeks later to do some computer testing. 2 days after the computer testing I was interviewed for about 4 hours with 3 different groups of people. There was alot of leadership and personality questions. They asked alot of Claims questions but were more interested in finding out about me as a person instead of what I knew in claims which I thought was nice as they were going to train me anyways. They want to see strong leaders and people who are going to work well in a team enviroment. Be yourself in interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why did you pick your degree.   Answer Question
  • What would you do if you were not welcome into a new team, how would you make yourself fit into the team or make the members of the team want you to be a member of the team.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer I received was more than I would of even asked for.

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in November 2010.

Interview Details – Was called to come in for an interview and if I was to pass interview I would take a 3-4 hr test right that day. After 1:1 interview, I was told to sign up to take the test in 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I came in to take the test and was told that I would be informed about the results in about 2 weeks. After a week I received a phone call informing me that I did not pass the test.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Travelers Companies

Worked for Travelers Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Travelers Companies Claims Adjuster Trainee interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Travelers Companies employees and interview candidates.