Travelers Companies

Getting the Interview

29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview Details – Had to take a couple of tests on the computer, after passing you were given a face to face interview the hiring manager. There weren't really any hard or unexpected questions. All of the management team was very nice and helpful

Interview Question – How you would handle a certain call   Answer Question

Richardson, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in November 2013.

Interview Details – The initial phone interview takes at least 30 minutes. They ask very detailed questions and want to know what definitions of insurance terms you know. Then you spend 4 hours taking several tests.

Interview Question – All of their questions are situational. It just depends on your experience.   Answer Question

Overland Park, KS

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in June 2010.

Interview Details – There will be a phone interview, that will go through a series of behavioral questions. Will only last about 30 minutes. Really helps to know someone that works for the company to use as a reference. There may be a test depending on the department. Test will be given for any property, or auto position. Workers Compensation does not warrant a test. If you pass your test you will be interviewed by a panel of Unit Managers. Typically 2 or 3 with 1 being the manager that you will be under. The interview format is all behavioral questions. If you do well in the interview you will meet with the business Line lead and sit with an employee that currently does the job you are applying for. Be sure to ask them questions and appear interested because they are apart of the process and submit their feedback. You will receive an offer via telephone and it will be contingent on passing a drug screen and background check which includes , credit, criminal and driving record. If you successfully pass the background check you will be contacted and offered the position.

Process takes 1-2 months.

Interview Question – Tell us a little about yourself
Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult or demanding customer?
What is your biggest Strength?
What is your biggest Weakness?
How do you handle Stress and Pressure?
Describe a difficult work situation / project and how you overcame it.
Give me an example of a time you had to deal with change.
Tell me about a time when you had to analyze facts quickly, define key issues, and respond immediately or develop a plan that produced good results.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable but the salary will be higher then any other company.

Claims Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online & contacted by a recruiter from the home office about a week later. Standard phone interview with general questions about work history & she gave a quick preview of the position & the next steps. Invited me to a job fair in town the following week.

Interview Question – Tell me about a big setback in your life & how you responded and overcame the situation.   Answer Question

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Travelers Companies in June 2008.

Interview Details – Detailed background review and testing for the position is thorough

Interview Question – They will test your knowledge in the interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was greater than requested..

Reading, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Travelers Companies in May 2012.

Interview Details – I had an on campus interview, then a skills test, then a group panel interview.

Interview Question – Whats your biggest weakness.   Answer Question

Albany, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Travelers Companies in May 2012.

Interview Details – Overall a stremlined process. After a phone intervierw, skill/assesment test, and several 1:1 interviews, along with one panel. I have yet to have been offered a job, but fingers crossed!

Interview Question – Name three strengths and three weaknesses.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Rancho Cordova, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Travelers Companies in December 2011.

Interview Details – I have actually never got an interview with Travelers Insurance in Rancho Cordova. I have over 6 years experience in claims and everytime I applied I didnt even get a phone call.

Claim Representative Interview

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in July 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process started with a phone interview. Questions were quite standard. It was followed by a very casual interview with the person who would become my manager. Again, questions were quite standard and revolved around goals, personality traits, ways of handling situations, strengths, weaknesses, etc. This was a nice interview, very friendly and I left feeling like a friend of the manager. A few weeks later, I did a small group interview with the manager, and a few district representatives. Alot of the same questions were asked but they gave many situations that were more difficult to assess and answer. I left feeling like I totally bombed this part of the interview, but received a call with the job offer a few days later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I did not need to negotiate and they offered me the salary I requested.

Charlotte, NC

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online with Travelers through their website and also through the Career Center at the University I graduated from. My application was selected from both sources. Initially I was contacted by a recruiter in regards to the application I put on the Travelers website, which was about two weeks later. When she called, she asked when I had time to schedule a telephone interview. I interviewed over the phone later that day, and from what I remember she spent some time going over the position, salary, and benefits. Then she asked some preliminary questions about me being able to adhere to Traveler's policies. She asked some basic questions about my experience and why I was interested in Travelers. She then asked a couple of basic "tell me about a time when" type questions.

Four days later, I was contacted again to set up a time to come take a 7 part timed exam. I came in to take the exam and I will say that the test was not easy but not overally hard. One part was very difficult. They are really gauging your analytical, cognitive, test-taking, and listening skills. They told me they would contact me about the test results within a week, but I heard back from them 3 days later. They told me I passed and asked when I wanted to schedule an interview. I scheduled an interview for the end of the week.

When I came into interview I interviewed with the deparment manager and one other employee in the claims department I applied to. The interview started with me explaining about myself, background and work history. They wanted me to go through and explain a little about what I did at each job and why I decided to leave. They also wanted to know likes/dislikes about each of these jobs. They asked a lot of questions that I found listed on this forum actually and various "tell me about a time when" questions. I will say, be prepared to talk about your work history and current position if you have one, and why you want to leave that position. They will throw in some standard trap questions (tell me about your weaknesses, tell me about a time when you didn't get a long with a coworker, tell me about your last peformance review..what areas of improvement were outlined in your review)

My best advice would be to make sure you have a complete cohesive explanation of your background starting from your college education through all your work history. Though the interview feels relaxed, they are subtlely trying to uncover inconsistencies. They also seems like they are looking out for "job hoppers."

Interviewed the week before last, and waiting on a call.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your last performance review? What areas of improvement were outlined in your review?   View Answer
  • How do you stay organized?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Travelers Companies

Worked for Travelers Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Travelers Companies Claims Representative interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by Travelers Companies employees and interview candidates.