Travelers Companies
www.travelers.com Hartford, CT 5000+ Employees

Travelers Companies Customer Service Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Windsor, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview Details – Phone screen to start. If that goes well then an assessment test and most often an interview if that gets passed. About two weeks later I got the offer.

Interview Question – The "explain a time when this occurred and how you handled it" questions I find to be the toughest.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in June 2010.

Interview Details – Met a representative at the UH job fair. Next step was a typing/basic arithmetic test. Then I came in for an initial interview with two managers. I had another interview with two more managers.

Interview Question – Honestly, they were all very basic questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. Try to negotiate.

Windsor, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Travelers Companies in December 2008.

Interview Details – Initial communication - I applied online and found the job through one of the job boards. I received an email thanking me for applying. Then I was told I had to come in for an interview and typing test.

Planning - Planning took place over email and phone. The timeframe overall from the initial application to the offer was about 2 months.

Number of interviews: 4
I was brought in for an interview and a typing test. Then I had to come in the next day for a Placement Test - go into the office and sit with other candidates and take a written placement test, felt like an SAT exam, 4 hours long. Big room of people, timed sections on the exam. After taking the placement test, I had another in-house interview with a panel after like 3 weeks. Then I had to take a drug test.

The people seemed nice all around throughout the process, very professional.

Interview Question – There weren't any unexpected or difficult questions. Questions were standard boiler plate interview questions suited for the position that anyone can search online and find to prepare for the interview for this position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was unable to negotiate my salary. They told me that "this is the salary you are going to get and what everyone was going to make that starts at the same time." It was also more than what I was making in my former job so I was happy with the salary. They start a group of people at the same time, like a class which goes through orientation together before starting the job.

Knoxville, TN

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in July 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring process was drawn out over at least a month. I applied online and a few days later recieved an email saying I'd been selected to continue on in the application process. Filled out a more in depth application that also contained questions that dealt with hypothetical situations one might be in while answering phone calls in customer service department for an insurance company. A few days later, in an email, I was asked to continue on in the hiring process. The next phase was an online personality test consisting with over one hundred questions, simple math questions & call center scenarios presented with questions on which is best way to answer customer's question, etc. Several days later I got an email stating that I should move on to the next stage-- an online call center simulation. The call center simulation I did at home on my computer. I had 45 minutes to "answer" phone calls and select the best responses to the customer's questions given the infotnation that was provided for me. Several days later I recieved a phone call from Travelers saying they'd like to bring me in to meet with the director of operations and hiring manager. A few days later I go in for my interview. I meet with two people (director & hiring manager) at the same time, one asking me questions while the other jotted down my answers. That interview lasted about an hour and consisted with typical interview questions. They made me feel comfortable and got me to relax the best I could. They both stepped out of room for 5 minutes, came back in, asked some more questions then told me they'd like me to meet with someone from HR. I interviewed with one person from HR for another hour. I was much more relaxed, and most of the questions I was asked were the same, or at least very similar. Talked about benefits and salary. I left with a mixed feeling since I'd never worked in a call center before conducting customer service-- I've only worked face to face customer service in the food service industry. But my interview with HR, I felt, went really well. Five days later I received a call from a recruiter who offered me the job, pending a drug test and background check. I accepted the offer, and start the new job in a month!

Interview Question – Describe a time you worked with a team and things didn't go as planned. How did you handle the situation?
Describe a time when you were overwhelmed with your workload, and how you handled it.
Talk about a time you turned an idea into an accomplishment.
Describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision.
  Answer Question

Hartford, CT

The process took a day - interviewed at Travelers Companies in June 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed by 2 different people- interview lasted 30 minutes each. Behavioral interview with question about customer service experience. Easy paced environment

Interview Question – Describe when you had to deal with an agitated customer   Answer Question

Diamond Bar, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Travelers Companies in March 2012.

Interview Details – applied online, received a email need to set date to phone interview, got a phone call after 3 days, interview last 20 mins, never heard anything back.

Interview Question – whats the most difficult thing you have encountered in you work?   Answer Question

Richardson, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Travelers Companies in January 2012.

Interview Details – Newspaper listed a job fair. I sumitted my resume online before attending the all day event Screening 1:1 interview with recruiter. Computer based skill exams (2 hours). One on one interview with another recruiter and then a hiring manager. Did not recieve any feedback about job. I was never contacted either way. I felt that the environment was conducive to excellence. The staff seemed to be laid back and easygoing. I really thought I did well, but they had a lot of applicants with prior call center experience of which I did not have.

Interview Question – What value can you add to the team?   View Answer

Windsor Locks, CT

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in January 2012.

Interview Details – Started off applying online then received a phone call a few days later asking to set up a 15 minute phone interview. This phone interview was fairly easy first describing what the job entails and asking basic questions like: tell me about yourself, what did you like/dislike about previous employer, what computer programs do you have experience with, and why Travelers...At the end of the interview i was asked to set up a day to go in for a 4 hour skills test. The first part of the test was a 5 minute typing test, making sure you can type at least 35 words per minute. However, it wasn't a standard paragraph and sentence typing, it was data entry, such as people's names and addresses. Still fairly easy. If you failed this part they send you home, if you pass you go on to take the 5 parts knowledge test. This test was really easy as many of the questions they provided the background policy information in the example and you have to decide what the outcome would be. Other questions included finding typos, basic math, and writing skills.

I passed everything on the test and was called the following day to set up an in-person interview. I showed up a week later and interviewed with two people at the same time. They alternated asking me questions and it lasted over an hour. I think it went very well as afterwards they went into the hallway and came back ten minutes later saying they wanted me to also interview with their boss at that time. Obviously I agreed and the boss came in several minutes later. This part was much quicker, about 30 minutes and was also quite easy. This was the finals step in the process as they told me I'd hear back within two weeks of that interview with an offer or not. It's been 1 week and I believe they were going to stop interviewing people today, so any day now I'm hoping for the call to get 1 of the 12 open positions they're hiring!

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer
  • Describe a time when you had an angry customer and how did you manage the situation.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you worked with a team and things didn't go according to plan.   Answer Question
  • How long do you see yourself working in a customer service environment?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in December 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for this position back in November of 2011 and received a call from the company a few weeks later to schedule a skills test. The skills test consisted of a typing test that was either pass/fail, and was followed by a five part multiple-choice exam including sections on basic calculations and grammar/usage. I was told that if I passed the exam I would receive a call within a week to schedule an interview. I was called the next day and had an interview scheduled for the following week. I interviewed with two managers who asked me questions primarily concerning my previous work experience. The interview took a little over an hour to complete. It has now been a few weeks since my interview, and I received a call a couple days ago from one of the managers asking if I was still interested in the position, and that they would be making their final decision sometime next week. I suppose I will find out next week whether or not I got the job. In summation, the interview process has been long and drawn out, but relatively low-stress.

Interview Question – Name a time when you turned an idea into an accomplishment.   Answer Question

Buffalo, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Travelers Companies in May 2009.

Interview Details – already knew of company inside info due to relatives working there..they asked about my previous customer svce skills, how I had or would handle example situations they presented..

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – know someone on the inside...

Interviews for Top Jobs at Travelers Companies

Worked for Travelers Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Travelers Companies Customer Service Representative interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Travelers Companies employees and interview candidates.