Travelers Companies Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

Claims Operations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

The interview process can take some time, as Travelers believe in only hiring top talent. There are multiple interviews. Be prepared to be able to give specific examples of how you performed in prior roles. Make sure that you always have questions at the end of the interview. Be yourself and RELAX.

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

Lengthy, but worthwhile. Every employee I encountered during the hiring process was very knowledgeable, candid, and bright. The steps I had to take in total were (1) online application, (2) phone screening, (3) series of 8 skills tests, (4) face to face with 2 unit managers, (5) shadowing current employee - this is also an interview, (6) face to face with 2 higher up managers, (7) face to face with VP, (8) drug screening, (9) background/credit check. They put a lot of effort into bringing on talented people so I suggest really doing your homework on what the company does and the S.T.A.R. method for interviewing. They are looking for specifics as well as the ability to remain calm under pressure.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Travelers Companies (Hartford, CT).

Interview

Probably one of the worst interview experiences ever. They called me in and then put me in an office for 6 hours with people rotating in and out. Most of the people seemed way to busy then to spend an hour with me and seemed distracted and many were not even involved with the role. The hiring manager couldn't even be bothered to speak to me for more then 7 minutes. Most of the interviews were conversational and unstructured, but basically it seemed like one they had a hard time articulating this role and therefore were not really sure why I was there. Here's a hint, have your hiring managers take 15 minutes and do a phone screen before bringing people in if you don't think they are qualified. It was a waste of my time.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Travelers Companies in April 2015.

Interview

I came here because I wanted to see if others experienced what I did with my initial phone screen: The HR person asked me approximately 25 minutes of questions from a prepared checklist consisting entirely of yes and no questions and questions that required ONLY a one word answer. There was little she couldn't have learned from my resume/job application. She didn't seem to have read my application and didn't seem to be familiar with my employer (an industry competitor) and was definitely unwilling to use the information on my resume as a spring board to learn more about me ("I saw you did X at company Y, tell me more about that experience" -- NONE of this type of open-ended questioning). She made it clear several times that she wouldn't be satisfied with anything that didn't fit a specific yes/no/number/one-word-answer box on her checklist. After 25 minutes of responding only with "Yes ... Yes ... 7 ... yes .... no .... 5, er 6 .... no ..... ye-sss .... 5...." I was really wondering about the culture at Travelers. The HR interviewer asked the questions in a way that was very short and quick which, to me, came off as a bit rude and cold. Is the job market still so bad that Travelers can afford to treat prospective employees in this poking, prodding sort of way? I have a fair amount of experience and abilities to offer my next employer, but the HR person made sure to hammer me back into her checklist any time I tried to expand on an answer or provide some insight into what sort of experience I actually bring to the table. My experience with most/all other phone screen interviews is that it's condcuted by both parties with courtesy and respect, and that it's a process of give and take where I have a chance to actually speak and ask questions and receive a bit of information, in addition to answering questions. The HR person didn't learn much about me (that's not already in my application), while her conduct left me with a negative initial impression of Travelers.

Interview Questions

• Initial interview was 95% yes/no ("are you subject to a noncompet?" "do you have Auto experience?" "Are you certified in X?") or one word responses ("How many years have you X certification?" "how many years experience with WC?") - they were prepared questions. If you try to give more than a number or Yes/No response she will cut you off (and not always politely). At the end she asked what questions I had and when I asked her to tell me more about the job she didn't provide much information that wasn't in the the two parargraph job description. My impression was that she didn't know much about the opening or the office where it's located, or she wanted me to ask a less open-ended question so she could answer yes or no.   Answer Question

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I put in an application online and received an email requesting time for phone interview. I spoke with an HR rep the next week and was asked general questions about why underwriting, why I chose my degree and why I chose to apply. I was then told that I would hear something in the near future about an onsite interview. A week later I received an email informing me of the interview times and location.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were disappointed about an outcome and what did you learn from it. How do you sell a product to a customer?   Answer Question

Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

Great interview process. Relaxed, just want to get to know who you are in the office visit. Most of the questions revolve around who you are and if you like fast-paced, challenging work.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

Series of several interviews that were in hierarchical order. Each interview progressed with difficulty and length. The final interview was more confirming that there was truth to my statements and I in fact was who I represented myself to be. Depending on company need, not all interviews are as thorough.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

First there is a phone screening. Then next you are called in for an in person screening. (Waste of time because you are asked the same questions during your phone screening) Lastly, you are called in for an interview for 4 hours! So stupid. You complete 6 rounds of interviews for 30 minutes with 2 different managers during each setting. They are grilling you for questions. If you give an answer they don't like the lame managers will frown and give you faces. One manager said, yeah yeah you already said that. How rude! Well I will say it again. There are no breaks during the interviews just one bottle of water. This company is ridiculous all the managers are disrespectful and they had co-workers interviewing during the process. I'm thinking are you qualified to interview?? They don't care if you have a degree and they frown upon higher education. At all cost a waste of time trust me!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to deal with an irate customer?   1 Answer

Field Property Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Atlanta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Got a call from a manager 3 weeks later and had a short phone interview. Was scheduled to have an in person interview a week later. Passed that interview and immediately took their assessment test. This took almost 4 hours and had timed sections. Wasn't easy but not too hard, I passed. Was scheduled for another interview with hiring managers 2 weeks later. Made it through all 3 hiring mangers. Was contacted the next day to have a peer interview over the phone and speak with the HR director. I was offered the job the following day contingent upon passing a drug screening and background check. Everyone was very nice and responded to my calls and emails during the process.

Interview Questions

• Why travelers? Tell me about a time when.... What do you know about the company? How do you prioritize your work?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Pay is $60k per year here in GA. Very high for the industry. Comes with company car, bonus potential, 401k and pension.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, two weeks later got a call for the phone interview, phone interview was over an hour. A week later was set up to take the assessment test, that was hard 7 sections containing between 35 and 81 questions and 30 minutes to answer them all. A lot of reading the claims policy and answer if it is or isnt covered.

Interview Questions

• Are you ok with being deployed from home in the event of a major disaster for 14 to 48 days?   Answer Question