Travelers Companies Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

Lengthy, but worthwhile. Every employee I encountered during the hiring process was very knowledgeable, candid, and bright. The steps I had to take in total were (1) online application, (2) phone screening, (3) series of 8 skills tests, (4) face to face with 2 unit managers, (5) shadowing current employee - this is also an interview, (6) face to face with 2 higher up managers, (7) face to face with VP, (8) drug screening, (9) background/credit check. They put a lot of effort into bringing on talented people so I suggest really doing your homework on what the company does and the S.T.A.R. method for interviewing. They are looking for specifics as well as the ability to remain calm under pressure.

Auto Claims Representative, Experienced Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelers Companies (Richardson, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online 7/19. Then I received an Email the next day, Monday July 20 giving a date and time of the next available Phone interview time, which I responded and accepted. The Email stated the phone interview would last about 60 minutes but it only took about 35. It started with some small talk and gradually worked into some basic screening questions: How I heard about the company, My salary expectations (had to give a number), checking the details of my Resume/work experience. Also, I was given details about the company and the job I was applying for. I gave an outline of what my current work day was like, how I prioritized and then asked to define a series of insurance related words/phrases; nothing complex, just simple everyday insurance words like Reservation of Rights, subrogation, comprehensive, etc. At the end she asked me what questions I had and I asked a couple. At the end of the phone interview, she stated that another representative would be contacting me within a week to setup a time to come and complete an assessment. She set the expectation that if I passed the assessment, I would be setup for an interview the same day but if I failed, I would not go any further in the process. I received a link later that same night to complete a job application through their website and was contacted the next day, 7/23, by phone by the representative to setup the assessment. I set it up for the next Friday, 7/31, but was contacted on Monday, 7/27, by the same representative to reschedule to 8/7 and was also told to complete the application before coming to the assessment. The application was simple data entry of your Resume. The education was difficult for me since I had not graduated but for prior than current education, you can only choose a degree, so I did not add my older education so I would not have to choose graduated and explain it later. Besides that, it is just data entry of your resume with additional questions such as "May we contact this employer" and "why did you leave this position." The Assessment was at 8:30 AM 8/7 at the Richardson office and was done in a computer lab with a lady overseeing. It was fairly easy with 8 parts: 1. Writing a letter to an upset customer about an issue with coverage, 2. A typing test (account info data entry, entering multiple fields of name, address, date, date of birth, social, account number, title, occupation, etc - over and over until time runs out) 3. A multiple choice Math test (30 questions) 4. A reading comprehension 5. A grammatical comprehension (including identifying misspelled words) 6. interpreting accident diagrams and accident situations 7. Policy and other occupational situations and how you would answer 8. Personality test (115 questions of repeated, run of the mill personality questions) You then sit in the hall while she finishes grading the tests and she will come out and tell you whether you passed or failed. If you pass, which I did, she'll give you a time to come back for the interview. Mine was at 2:00 PM and I was done at 11:00 AM so I was able to go home and relax and come back. The 2:00 PM interview was a group panel with two current supervisors in the claims department. It was very relaxed as others set and they got you to feel relaxed from the start which was nice. Then, we went over a few questions on why I want the position and what I am looking for, what I like in a position, etc. I've listed every question they asked below. The background questions were followed by behavioral questions / situational questions. They tell you to use true examples, but you can use from current job, previous job, personal life or family. Then ended with questions I had. I asked three good questions, but i think that I could/should have asked more. After I said I had no more questions, they said they are currently hiring on a 2-3 week rolling format so they will review all the applicants and if I am selected, they will call me back to sit with an associate and interview with their bosses and a head from Virginia as well. And that was it I received an Email on 8/14 stating that I was not selected for the position from the lady who had setup the assessment. I also received another Email saying that the position had been filled and was no long available. That was it. Wish I would have made it through but overall it wasn't a bad process and is worth a try if you're interested. It seems like a great company to work for. Once again, all questions that I was asked in the interview with the two supervisors are below.

Interview Questions

• What's your 3-5 year plan? Largest Medical claim that you have settled What Team culture do you like What are you looking for in a company What would your supervisor say about you if he/she was here right now?   Answer Question
    • Give a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer? (how did it turn out) Give a time when you disagreed with a decision your team made and what did you do about it and how did you repair the relationship? Give a time when you had more work than you could handle in a day and how did you deal with it and what was the outcome? Give me a time when you disagreed with your supervisor & how did it make you feel?   Answer Question
    • Describe when you had to make a quick decision without all the info & what was the outcome? Give me a time when you gave empathy in a dire situation? Give me an example when you could not provide the service you wanted to to help a customer? GIve me a situation where someone was giving you the run around   Answer Question

Premium Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers Companies (Indianapolis, IN) in September 2015.

Interview

Before interviewing, you must take a 4 hour test. The test consists of math, basic English, essay, how detailed oriented you are, and basic excel. Once you pass the test then you will get an interview. My first interview was with the manager. It was a phone interview because he was located several states away. The second interview was with the regional director. It was also over the phone.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was easy. I accepted the offer.

AALDP Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

First round interview is HR phone screen and background check last about 15 mins. Second round is one phone interview with two employees lasts about one hour. Asked mostly technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Process of model building? Key factors of car premium?   Answer Question

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

I was asked questions by multiple people; I believe it's called a panel interview? The questions were standard, and all revolved around the stated job qualifications. For example, questions on relationships, how I relate to team members, etc. It was very focused on relationships and how you relate to people. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. The interview lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you solved a personal conflict with a team member.   1 Answer

Sales Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers Companies (Richardson, TX).

Interview

The first thing after you fill out the application is a phone interview. After that I had an interview with 2 managers and then an interview with the HR rep. After that I had another interview with the Sales Director. After all of that I received a phone call and got the job. over all it took about 2 to 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• If I were to ask you to sell me this pen how would you do it?   Answer Question

Senior Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers Companies (Hartford, CT) in August 2015.

Interview

There are multiple level interviews, a minimum of 5 interviews first a HR screening about your current employment status, specifics about your expectations about the new job Second a telephonic interview about an hour with specifics about the technical aspects of job and role you have applied, be prepared for this meeting, as this will be purely about technical skills. Third, in my case, was 3 tier interview process, I was interviewed by 3 different interview panels with senior VP's of business & technical teams interview. this will be webex or skype interview where you will be able to meet entire business team. This would be very good opportunity to plan about the possibilites and people you are about to meet & discuss. Finally, if you have passed all the tiers of interviews, you will be offered a position and job. I liked this part as they were very accomodating and .HR person was able to explain every detail about the position and offer provided by travelers

Interview Questions

• Business case question: You have 5 TB data and we would need 100 tables to load them. Business team provides you this requirement, what will be your questions to business team. How will you solve schedule slippage in EDW project How will you choose between MDM or quick fix approach to design Modeling.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiations was very professional and if you are clear about your prospects, then you can demand for better offer, rather than offered by company.

Claims Representative Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelers Companies (Windsor, CT) in August 2015.

Interview

After I applied online, I received an email about a week later from one of the recruiters asking to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview lasted a little more than an hour. The recruiter was very pleasant and asked questions about my resume and what I liked and did not like from each one of my jobs. It was a little difficult but the recruiter made me feel at ease. After that I received a phone call that I passed the phone interview and I needed to come in to take a 3-hour assessment which tested my math, excel, comprehension, writing, excel, reading skills. It was not as hard as I thought it would be. A couple of days later, I received a phone call to schedule a in-person interview that lasted about 3 hours. It was with a supervisor, a claims representative who you shadowed for about 30 minutes and able to ask all the questions you would like, and then the department manager. I felt very comfortable talking to the supervisor and claims representative. The questions were very behavioral based and I had to give a lot of examples. The interview with the department manager was more intimidating and I had to answer questions about why I wanted to work for Travelers and what kind of employee I would be. I was told at the interview that I would hear back from them in two weeks whether or not I got the job.

Interview Questions

• What is one unique trait that you would bring to the position?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Travelers Companies (Hartford, CT).

Interview

The process was an entire day with 5 overall interviews. You meet with the director and the two coordinators and then meet with 3 people that will include a graduate of the program, a leader in an Operations role and either a sponsor or an advocate of the program. The next "Interview" will be a lunch with 2 employees who are currently in the IOLDP.

Auto Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers Companies (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

Standard interview with a one-up manager, two-up manager, and HR director. Interview follows traditional format with emphasis on customer service background and capacity to multitask. They are often looking for a candidate that can both handle stress under pressure and who fits the company culture well. Will require candidates to take the Feliz Lopez standardized test prior to extended employment offer.

Interview Questions

• What would you consider your greatest weakness or flaw?   1 Answer