Travelers Companies Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2015

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

Lengthy, but worthwhile. Every employee I encountered during the hiring process was very knowledgeable, candid, and bright. The steps I had to take in total were (1) online application, (2) phone screening, (3) series of 8 skills tests, (4) face to face with 2 unit managers, (5) shadowing current employee - this is also an interview, (6) face to face with 2 higher up managers, (7) face to face with VP, (8) drug screening, (9) background/credit check. They put a lot of effort into bringing on talented people so I suggest really doing your homework on what the company does and the S.T.A.R. method for interviewing. They are looking for specifics as well as the ability to remain calm under pressure.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and received an email from an HR Recruiter in 1-2 days to set up a phone interview. The recruiter called on time and was very pleasant…asked standard questions (why are you looking for another job, why Travelers, etc) and went over my resume. After the conversation, I was told that my information would be forwarded to the regional office I applied to and someone there would contact me if there was an interest. The recruiter said to follow-up within a week if I had not heard from anyone. The Corporate HR gets an “A++++.”

In 1-2 days, I received a phone from someone at the regional office to set up an in person interview. I met with two unit managers…nice people. Both went over the training program and the job. We discussed my resume so be prepared to talk about your experience. The interview questions are standard and situation-based (please tell me about a time…, please describe a situation…). While the interview wasn’t bad, the excitement I had for the position was no longer there. I don’t know how to describe it…the vibe didn’t feel right. I didn’t tour the entire building, but the people I saw there didn’t look happy.

I moved up to the final interview process. All the candidates meet individually with small groups of unit managers. We were required to write a small essay about why we wanted the job and why we wanted to work for Traveler’s. The interview questions are situation-based so make sure you have some stories to tell and examples to give. I personally did not like this interview process…it felt like a “cattle call” where applicants are herded into different rooms. Another frustration was being asked the same questions by different unit managers. The managers are allotted a time limit to interview (30 minutes), giving you very little or no time to ask questions. When I left the interview, I didn’t want the job…nothing wrong with the position, but that office had some “bad juju.” Those who have been in the workplace trenches know exactly what I am talking about.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your current job? How did you hear about the opportunity at Traveler’s? Please walk us through your typical work day? How do you prioritize and stay organized? How do handle someone who is upset? How do you go about delivering bad news? Have you ever made a mistake that had a negative impact? Why do you think your skills will be a good fit for the job? How do you handle stress? Describe a time when you felt like breaking confidentiality?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Richardson, TX).

Interview

This was my first interview with Travelers.. I applied online on Indeed then I received a phone call from HR wanting to set up a face to face interview. I interviewed with Two Women. Both took turns asking me questions. Interview lasted about 35 minutes. A lot of behavioral questions. Overall, it went pretty well.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

30 minutes phone interview. After that they call you to schedule a time to go in and take a 3.5hr test.
    I didn't pass the stupid test so I didn't move on.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?
      Why do you want to work for travelers insurance?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      What's the most important decision you had to take in the past 2 years?

Answer Question

Medical Only Claim Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

Applied 2/18/15. Phone interview with HR 3/23/15. In person interview 4/9/15 with Hiring Manager. 4/23 flew to St. Paul for in person interview for trainee position. 4/29 final phone interview with HR director. 4/30 offered med only position.

Account Executive Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

Let's put it this way - the company has no time table when it comes to moving through interview process promptly. Be sure to wear some comfy clothes and just kick back and wait....for about 3 months.

Interview Questions

• Describe a tough situation you were faced with and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

They were only willing to offer a 10% increase with a small sign on bonus. Absolutely NO NEGOTIATING on their part. This company is only willing to offer "competitive" salaries which means they don't care to pay for real talent as long as you are the best candidate out of the pool and can pass the warm body test, you shouldn't have a problem receiving an offer. This was seriously an offer I could pass on without a blink of an eye. I realized that were I currently work is a much better place since I receive a real bonus and get paid for decently well for my underwriting talent. This position is more like a glorified salesperson. Also, only the top 1/3 of people who work at Travelers will receive a bonus - talk about a fabulous office atmosphere that will make!

Auto Claim Representative Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Melville, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Got a call from recruiter to attend open house even at the Melville office, attended open house where you sit in a room with approx 10 ppl, you fill out a brief questionnaire form, waited for about 10 minutes then the interviewers came in called your name and everyone proceeded in another room for a one on one with the interviewers. Each person had a different interviewer. The interview lasted about 1hr, they go through a packet maybe 10 pages approx asking questions from the packet, analytical, give a situation or a time type of stuff, they review your resume and you get to talk about your prior experiences to fit in, I highly suggest you research insurance terminology because they ask you give the definitions of words such as endorsement, declaration, contributory and comparable etc. After the interview, everyone proceeds to another room where you are given a brief intro about the company and the benefits, you sit with an "auto blend" employee who basically does the same job you're being interviewed for... you spend about 20 min in the room asking any questions that you have and then they will start calling your name one by one to let you know if you move on to the next step for the assessment. My experience, out of 10 ppl, myself and another guy made it to the next step, they give you a date to come in for the assessment. I took the assessment which consisted of 8 sections that involve logic and reasoning, diagrams of scenarios of accidents where you have to determine which situation matches the accident description, basic math (addition, subtract, multiply, percentage and you get to use scrap paper and calculator) comprehension, personality questionnaire, listening skill, data entry which you basically copy information from the forms given, just some advice, if you're use to typing with the numeric key bad, get use to using the qwerty number keypad on the computer itself because they give you laptop to do the typing test which screwed me big time because I more comfortable using a numeric keypad... the assessment lasted 3.5 hours, once finish, they will explain the next process which is to get the results if you pass or fail, I didn't pass one or more sections like they stated so I failed, I didn't beat myself over it because I tried, I worked for GEICO before and I passed their assessment,each company is different, overall I'm glad I tried. I would highly suggest that you walk with a watch to time yourselves because they give you limited time for each section, try to spend at least 1 min per question, if you run out of time, just guess the answers because once times up you have to put down your pencils and and no going back, even though you know the answer and you need that couple of seconds to jot it down. Time was my biggest challenge because some of the sections you have to read a lot of information, if you're the type to read something twice before getting it, I suggest you practice on your comprehension skills, I ready the question first and then read the question, this way you can decipher the answer while reading. Also, I think you must have some sort of insurance knowledge because there is another section that you have to remember the meaning of the terms and match it to a scenario.

Good Luck to those that are taking the assessment, hope this helps!

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had a situation where you made a positive outcome? Are you willing to attend a two weeks training in CT? Are you willing to work 8-5pm MON-FRI?   Answer Question

Auto Claim Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

Interview

Applied online received email about 2 weeks later had a quick phone interview about reasons for leaving current job was invited to a group interview event. Interview was in a room with other candidates and timed not very organized and was a bit rushed didn't feel like I was given a good chance

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wyomissing, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Wyomissing, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

I received a call to set-up an initial phone interview. I was instructed to call at 4pm to start the interview. I called at 4pm, no answer, I called again at 4:10pm and was forwarded to vm. At 4:15pm the HR rep called and finally began conducting the interview. During the interview she made a couple strange remarks regarding my experience but I let it go, finally she stated something that made absolutely made sense. It was at this point she realized she wasn't even looking at the correct resume. I'm very disappointed in the entire experience. She told me someone would contact me in the next day or two, I've heard nothing and it's been 4. The interviewer was not prepared at all!!!

Interview Questions

• With your years of experience being a claims rep, would you need much training?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

I received a quick 10-15 min phone interview. This interview went over my resume, what qualities from my past made me a good fit for this role, what about Travelers and this position made this desirable, and asked how fast I can type. After this, I received an email two days later with an appointment to come into their office to take a test. There is not study guide. It is broken into seven categories: (1) excel test, (2) basic algebra & geometry, (3) data entry, (4) fluid intelligence test (patterns - seeing which one is different from the master pattern), (5) ability to interpret policies, (6) personality test, and (7) writing a letter to an upset customer. This is a timed test. Total process is about 2-2.5 hours long.

On the same day of the test, the company purchases lunch for you. After eating, there are three interviews. The first interview is with two managers, the second is with a peer (someone that already is in the position that you are applying for), and lastly with the Director of the managers.

The final stage is getting interviewed by the Director's boss, but this process -if selected- takes several weeks after you took the test and the three-part interview process. If you are selected beyond this point, a background and drug test will be started.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage your day?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable being on rooftops? When have you been on rooftops?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with an angry customer. What happened? How did you resolved it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you delivered excellent customer service where you went above and beyond.   Answer Question
    • Did your previous/current employer have a formal performance review system? If so, describe it. What was your rating in your last review? If we were to make contact with your previous supervisor, how would they describe you as an employee? What will you bring to our team?   Answer Question