Travelers Companies Interview Questions

Updated Aug 3, 2015

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Hartford, CT) in July 2008.

Interview

The entire interview process took almost 2 months. I had a very brief discussion with a recruiter (head hunter) who cold called me and then asked me to send my resume, which I did. I was then called by a recruiter on the HR team from home office and had a pretty lengthy phone interview with him really giving me more information (company structure, job responsibilities, etc...) than I was giving him. He then scheduled a phone interview with a member of the department I would be reporting to, this was a pretty extensive phone interview (30 - 45 minutes), with lots of questions about projects I had worked on, analysis approaches, challenges, etc... I also asked him about relationships with other departments, responsibilities, etc. The recruiter I spoke with also passed me off to a recruiter for another department, so I did a second phone interview with her. They then scheduled me to come onsite for 2 days of interviews (one for each position). The personal lines area had an extensive battery of computer analytical exams, as well as 4-5 one-on-one interviews with various director- and AVP-level associates. I also had a lunch with one of the AVPs. The day ended with some really odd personal questions with an HR employee for the department, along with a brief explanation of their benefits program. This process was very exhausting. The 2nd day was with the commercial department and was all one-on-one interviews with pretty dynamic and interesting members of their team (all levels). This included a lunch with a mid-level manager, which I found very interesting, candid, and honest.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 things you would do with a brick if I gave you one right now?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Columbus, OH) in May 2010.

Interview

First got a phone interview, after that I was asked to go to Cleveland about 2 weeks later to do some computer testing. 2 days after the computer testing I was interviewed for about 4 hours with 3 different groups of people. There was alot of leadership and personality questions. They asked alot of Claims questions but were more interested in finding out about me as a person instead of what I knew in claims which I thought was nice as they were going to train me anyways. They want to see strong leaders and people who are going to work well in a team enviroment. Be yourself in interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why did you pick your degree.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you were not welcome into a new team, how would you make yourself fit into the team or make the members of the team want you to be a member of the team.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer I received was more than I would of even asked for.

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Sacramento, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied online around mid-January. The last week of February, I was called for a "pre-screening" which was in-person and took about half an hour. The guy I talked to was very nice and very helpful. The questions were typical interview questions -- "describe a time when you..." and general questions about my resume. I felt the interview went very well and I was told I would hear back within a week. Two days later I received a call asking me to come in for a 3-hour test. THE TEST The test consists of several written sections, a personality inventory, a listening section, writing a mock letter to a client, and a typing test. I feel I am a very smart person (I have a BA and am working on my Masters) and I found this test to be very challenging. The sections are timed (about 20-30 minutes per section, I believe) and I was working right down to the last minute on all of them. Some of the questions are confusing and all of them require PRECISE attention to even the most minute detail. There is no time to go back and check your work. BTW, the typing test isn't like the online ones where you type a paragraph as fast as you can (which is what I practiced beforehand like a nerd!). It's basically data entry in the form of typing out client information cards (name, address, SSN, policy number...). My score was 105 keystrokes per minute. No idea whether that's good or bad. I'm guessing average, since I felt like I was going slow (I can type 50 wpm normally). Overall, I feel the test was very challenging and based on other reviews I've seen on here, I would not be surprised if I did not get offered the position. The test is designed to weed out incompetent people and it most certainly does that. If the test is an accurate reflection of the job, there are definitely people who would not be compatible. If you do not work well under pressure, maybe take a Xanax beforehand. Haha. I was told I would find out within a week if they want to see me back for another interview. I just took the test today, so obviously they haven't called me yet. I indicated above that I didn't receive an offer (because I haven't yet) but here's hoping! They seem like a really nice company, even if their hiring process is a little on the intense side.

Insurance Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Spokane, WA) in November 2010.

Interview

Refererred by a friend did phone interview took 7 part test including % word problems and reading comprehesion and data entry test that if you dont pass you dont move on. A one on one interview that day and then came back a week later for a mock phone call test and two one on one interviews. The mock phone calls are actual people (ACTORS) that call with insurance issues, kinda of wierd and you have someone watching you too. Received email telling me I was not selected and no reason as to why. I would ask up front what will disqualify you on a background check. I have a bankruptcy and i think they may have been why i was denied of course they wont tell so I will never know. I also have a ton of experience and Bachelors degree and I had a employee referral. I thought the interview went well so it must be that. Look into it if you have one (BK)it will save you alot of time!

Interview Questions

• Tell me your strengths and weeknesses with respect to service and production goals?   2 Answers
    • Can you tell me about a time when you were working in a group and there was conflict within in the group and how did you handle that situation?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jericho, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Jericho, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

You'd think this was for the FBI. I had to take a 1/2 day (unpaid as I have run out of PTO for the year) for the first interview because it stretched 4 hours. I saw 4 Underwriting Directors and was brutally interrogated. They tried to poke holes in my resume (to no avail) and presented a lot of "what if" scenario questions. I even had a pretty heated debate with one manager because he tried to tell me that we're currently in a "hard" insurance market, which we undoubtedly are NOT. Who knows if this was another one of their "tests". After these interviews, I was told I needed to phone screen with the VP. That went well and I was made an offer contingent upon passing a drug test and background screen. I was told I had to go to a laboratory of their choosing, both 20 miles away from my home/current job and complete the drug test within 48 hours or the offer would be rescinded. This was Thursday at 7 pm. The labs are both closed Saturday. So again, I am forced to take time off from work and be docked pay. I passed the drug test, have no criminal record, a clean MVR and a college degree. The background "investigation" turned up a parking ticket from 2002 from my University, which I had to pay $75 to clear. I got married in September and am in the process of changing my name. They couldn't accept that my SS Card and License were different. They wanted me to go to the DMV and fix it for THEM!! They also wanted every W2 I've ever had. Why?????? What does that have to do with the job offer you made me? I had to call the IRS and was on the phone for DAYS trying to get a work history transcript. Then they accused me of lying about where I formerly worked because my old boss outsourced his payroll and so the W2 said "ADP". I had to beg my old employer to call them back and clarify. Finally, they needed proof of hire date from my current employer. I provided my offer letter. Not good enough. I provided my 401k statement. Not good enough. "Can you get an old pay stub from HR? and a recent one to show you are still actively employed" ENOUGH. This isn't the secret service. I was so anxiety ridden and stressed out during the interview process alone, I can't imagine what it would have been like to actually work there. The scrutiny was ridiculous, intrusive, and unecessary. NO THANKS.

Interview Questions

• If 10 submissions came in at the same time, all the same size, same LOB, same exposure, same premium, how would you prioritize them?   1 Answer

See above. That about says it all.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Hartford, CT) in September 2009.

Interview

good company but a painful process to get into the company, I had to endure over 40 interviews over a 90 day period.

Negotiation

once you receive a offer, they are willing to negotiate

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

30 minutes phone interview. After that they call you to schedule a time to go in and take a 3.5hr test. I didn't pass the stupid test so I didn't move on.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer? Why do you want to work for travelers insurance? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What's the most important decision you had to take in the past 2 years?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Interview

Got two phone calls from HR. One to see if I was still interested in the position, the other to schedule the phone interview. Phone interview was an hour long. Hardly asked me any behavioral questions. Asked where do you see yourself in 3 years? It was mostly technical questions (asked a lot of statistical questions) and a ton of auto insurance questions.

Claims Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Buffalo, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

4 interviews all together, 1 phone 3 in person, with a 4 hour competency test for math, writing, listening, and problem solving skills

Interview Questions

• How would you calm someone on a phone call right after they experience the death of a loved one.   Answer Question

Estimator Reviewer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Alpharetta, GA) in June 2014.

Interview

The recruiter called me few days after I submitted my resume to set up a phone interview went well, He said now I pass your name on to the manager at the office never got a phone call back. Thought was unprofessional.