Travelers Companies Underwriter Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2015

3.3

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

Very long process, sent around to many departments before being placed in one. Had to send multiple follow up emails. Phone interviews were basic situational questions and personal interest. In person interview was three employees from the department and myself.

Interview Questions

• How do you react to someone that is very upset at you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Travelers Companies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I put in an application online and received an email requesting time for phone interview. I spoke with an HR rep the next week and was asked general questions about why underwriting, why I chose my degree and why I chose to apply. I was then told that I would hear something in the near future about an onsite interview. A week later I received an email informing me of the interview times and location.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were disappointed about an outcome and what did you learn from it. How do you sell a product to a customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview process was fairly basic. My first interview was at my college. It was generally behavior focused. Plenty of STAR questions to go around. The second interview I sat down with two of my would be bosses and someone from HR. They asked me more behavioral questions or it seemed whatever popped in your head. They assume you have the book knowledge to do what they need, they just are looking for a certain type of personailty.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you dealt with a difficult team member and what was the result?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Denver, CO) in October 2014.

Interview

Interviewer was professional and courteous. I heard from others that they typically ask about 25 questions from a list of questions, and they range from "What is a strength you have..." to "Give an example of a time where you were accurately able to predict future difficulties with a project." The interview was only for about 30 minutes, but it wasn't a threatening environment.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time where you were accurately able to predict future difficulties with a project.   1 Answer

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Travelers Companies.

Interview

I first had a phone interview where they just asked basic personality questions and to find out your interest in the position. They got back to me 3 weeks later for another in-person interview. I interviewed with four different people. I never heard back from them after that. Overall the people at the company where nice but they took a long time to get back to you after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions like name a time when you had to overcome a challenge.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Travelers Companies (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2014.

Interview

First round interview, laid-back interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Travelers Companies (Saint Paul, MN) in February 2014.

Interview

2 interviews in person. One on college campus and one at St. Paul location. The interviews were one on one and there where also group interviewsa. One phone interview before

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Cleveland, OH) in January 2013.

Interview

I filled out an application online and a few weeks later received an email asking for a phone interview. I scheduled the phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes with mostly general questions about my resume and experience in the industry. Nothing hard and nothing I couldn't answer off the top of my head. A few weeks later I got a call asking for an in person interview but turned it down because I had already found a job at that point.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where something didn't turn out as expected   Answer Question

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Travelers Companies in July 2012.

Interview

Had a phone interview. The phone interview went well and the recruiter advised they would be passing on 5 resumes to the hiring manager to review along with candidate ranking. There were then in person interviews with 4 other people (HR and various managers).

Interview Questions

• Asked how specifically I improved a process and/or project that I worked on. Question aimed to find out how independent you are and whether you are continually working to improve your job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Travelers Companies (Dallas, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

Both of the hiring managers I interviewed with were very nice. The interview questions were very typically behavioral questions for the most part. Come prepared with some information about the company and the business segment you are interviewing for, it will impress your interviewer(s).